PDA

View Full Version : McClain afraid of combine?

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
He is choosing not to participate in the combine. My guess is he and his agent both know that he is not going to put up good numbers. Even if this is just my opinion, it is not a good thing for him that he is not participating.

state06
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
not good esp. since his stock is dropping. He still will be the No. 1 rated ILB, but looks like he'll be dropping on some big boards. There is an article here where he is running 4.5's. i dont know why he wouldn't participate

Nawledge
03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
he did the bench press im pretty sure...i thought he benched 25 reps

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
not good esp. since his stock is dropping. He still will be the No. 1 rated ILB, but looks like he'll be dropping on some big boards. There is an article here where he is running 4.5's. i dont know why he wouldn't participate

I have never thought that he was a top ten talent (mainly because of his athleticism). Because there were questions about his athleticism before the combine, he is only hurting his stock by not running. Not only is he not running, he is not participating in any of the drills. If there were reports of him running in the 4.50 range then why is he not running? I do not buy that. After watching him on film I have never been "wowed" by his quickness or speed.

Someone on this board also mentioned how on initial contact he does not push anyone back. With his size, you would imagine that he would have some thump to him.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
he did the bench press im pretty sure...i thought he benched 25 reps

I'm watching the combine, and they have said that he will not do any of the drills (Including running the 40). He did 24 reps:

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2010/3/1/1330752/2010-nfl-combine-monday-update

Clipse
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
He is choosing not to participate in the combine. My guess is he and his agent both know that he is not going to put up good numbers. Even if this is just my opinion, it is not a good thing for him that he is not participating.
Why should he? He's the best ILB in the draft. He really has more to lose than to gain. I think it's smart that he doesn't participate and keeps training for his pro day. However, if he doesn't perform well at his pro day, that's when it will bad. Much like Spikes

Nawledge
03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
can anyone let me know if McClain did do the bench press? im pretty sure they showed a buncha guys like Suh, McCoy, Graham, Weatherspoon, McClain and other LBs and DL doing the bench press last night. If im not mistaken McClain only put up 25

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Why should he? He's the best ILB in the draft. He really has more to lose than to gain. I think it's smart that he doesn't participate and keeps training for his pro day. However, if he doesn't perform well at his pro day, that's when it will bad. Much like Spikes

How does he have more to loose? His athleticism is already in question...

ryoung8918
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Not a good sign for a guy playing a position that is all about competing. It's not like he needs Alabama orange pylon cones to run the agility drills. Put your skills against the other LBs and let it fly. Run the 40 on the same turf as the other guys.

Unless he's injured, his not participating is a big red flag, especially as high as #12 overall.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
can anyone let me know if McClain did do the bench press? im pretty sure they showed a buncha guys like Suh, McCoy, Graham, Weatherspoon, McClain and other LBs and DL doing the bench press last night. If im not mistaken McClain only put up 25

Again, I already posted. He did 24... here is the link:
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2010/3/1/1330752/2010-nfl-combine-monday-update

MobileFin
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
1. He is not a 4.5 guy.

2. He can definitely hit.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
1. He is not a 4.5 guy.

2. He can definitely hit.

Both are opinions just like mine, but at least he could have answered the first with him running at the combine today which he is not.

MobileFin
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Both are opinions just like mine, but at least he could have answered the first with him running at the combine today which he is not.

I can promise you he would rather compete and get it over with - but Im sure he is just doing what his agent told him to do.

Namor
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
He will be picked in the 10 thru 15 range no matter what you meatheads think..FACT.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I can promise you he would rather compete and get it over with - but Im sure he is just doing what his agent told him to do.

Well that tells me that his agent questions his athleticism too.

Fins917
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
could weatherspoon jump him?

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Again, he has more to lose than to gain. There's a reason you see guys who are at the top of their position not participate, and that's the reason why. If he runs a 4.55 at his pro day do you think anyone is going to care that he didn't run at the combine?

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
could weatherspoon jump him?
Not at all.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
He will be picked in the 10 thru 15 range no matter what you meatheads think..FACT.

To guarantee where anyone is going to go in any draft is just foolish. There are always people who rise and fall.

MP-Omnis
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
McClain has a hamstring. That's why he only did the bench press.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
McClain has a hamstring. That's why he only did the bench press.

He MIGHT have a hamstring injury. It just seems convenient that you hear about it 5 minutes before the LB's run their 40's.

LikeUntoGod
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
As I said in another thread about McClain, I always view him as a ILB in a 3-4 that played behind a massive, very good college NT.

IMO, one big reason he did so well was who he played with.

MobileFin
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM

It has more to do with momentum than actual black and white numbers. He interviewed well so there is no need to leave the combine on a bad note - because he isnt going to blow the scouts away.

As I said in another thread about McClain, I always view him as a ILB in a 3-4 that played behind a massive, very good college NT.

He played extremely well as a true freshman behind a guy that now plays defensive end.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
He MIGHT have a hamstring injury. It just seems convenient that you hear about it 5 minutes before the LB's run their 40's.
Actually it was repored yesterday that he wouldn't run at the combine and his agent said it's an injury he's been dealing with since the Senior Bowl, and has undergone two MRI's on it.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Again, he has more to lose than to gain. There's a reason you see guys who are at the top of their position not participate, and that's the reason why. If he runs a 4.55 at his pro day do you think anyone is going to care that he didn't run at the combine?

Pro days are not electronically timed. Which is why it is weird that he would not run with a more accurate system. Again, people already question his athleticism. How is it going to hurt him if he comes out and runs a 4.8? People would already be expecting it. I have looked and looked, and I cannot find any article online that says he has come anywhere near running a 4.5 forty. I found a thread on this board that says "he hopes" he runs in the 4.5 range. Well I'm sure patrick willis was hoping that he would run in the 4.3 range....

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Wrong. He played most of his snaps without Cody even on the field, and was just as good.

Tiko377
03-01-2010, 03:14 PM
witherspoon is having a great combine it seems, spranao is looking at him right now as spoon running a 40 yard dash he just got a 4.57 on his 40 not bad

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
spikes isn't running either...

and that massive dt in front of mcclain could barely even finish his 40...lol

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Actually it was repored yesterday that he wouldn't run at the combine and his agent said it's an injury he's been dealing with since the Senior Bowl, and has undergone two MRI's on it.

Link? The only article I can find online about him not participating in the 40 was posted almost an hour ago.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Pro days are not electronically timed. Which is why it is weird that he would not run with a more accurate system. Again, people already question his athleticism. How is it going to hurt him if he comes out and runs a 4.8? People would already be expecting it. I have looked and looked, and I cannot find any article online that says he has come anywhere near running a 4.5 forty. I found a thread on this board that says "he hopes" he runs in the 4.5 range. Well I'm sure patrick willis was hoping that he would run in the 4.3 range....
Like I said, if he runs a 4.8, it will look bad. If he runs around a 4.6, nobody is even going to remember he didn't run in the combine because of a hammy.

NamathDrunkLove
witherspoon is having a great combine it seems, spranao is looking at him right now as spoon running a 40 yard dash he just got a 4.57 on his 40 not bad

I like him so far MUCH more than McClain in the inside spot.

Fins917
honestly, weatherspoon is looking more like willis than mcclain. and we all know we shoulda took willis that year.

he's absolutely beasting the entire pre draft process starting during sr bowl week

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Like I said, if he runs a 4.8, it will look bad. If he runs around a 4.6, nobody is even going to remember he didn't run in the combine because of a hammy.

And my whole point is, how will it look bad? Like I have said, nobody is expecting him to run a great 40 anyways... Why not run? Again, it is very convenient that it is reported minutes before the LB's run that he has a hammy injury.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
honestly, weatherspoon is looking more like willis than mcclain. and we all know we shoulda took willis that year.

I agree. I do like Weatherspoon the most so far out of the ILB prospects. And that was before the combine.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
And my whole point is, how will it look bad? Like I have said, nobody is expecting him to run a great 40 anyways... Why not run? Again, it is very convenient that it is reported minutes before the LB's run that he has a hammy injury.
So by that logic Dez Bryant us scared to run in the combine as well as Spikes.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM

he's absolutely beasting the entire pre draft process starting during sr bowl week
Weatherspoon really looks nothing like Willis and may not even be drafted in the 1st round. Of course McClain doesn't look like Willis, two totally different skillsets.

Fins917
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM

i believe both of them are also

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM

No because Bryant's injury was known well before the combine started. Not to mention he never had questions about his athleticism... As for spikes who knows. I really do not care about him because he is not getting as much blind love on this board as McClain.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
No because Bryant's injury was known well before the combine started. Not to mention he never had questions about his athleticism... As for spikes who knows. I really do not care about him because he is not getting as much blind love on this board as McClain.
Blind love. McClain is hands down the best ILB prospect in the draft. That's not really even a debate considering the next best might not even be drafted in the 1st round.

Fins917
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM

don't get me wrong, i like dez and want him to be there at 12, but if anything, people are questioning his 40 time

Namor
03-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Read & React: Excellent key-and-diagnose skills. Identifies the play quickly and has little to no wasted motion in getting to the action. Rarely fooled by misdirection. Recognizes screens quickly and attacks before linemen have a chance to set up blocks. Dedicated and he has to be kicked out of the film room.
Run defense: Prototypical size and strength for inside linebacker. Instinctive. Takes good angles to the ball. Good vision and balance to flow through the trash. Great strength in his hands to stack and shed blockers. Tall enough to locate the ballcarrier while being blocked and can forcefully toss the blocker to the side to make the play. Has good, not great speed lateral and straight-line speed to the sideline. Faster on the field than in workouts because of his instincts.

Pass defense: Gains good depth in his drops, but is stiff and struggles a bit changing direction to stay with receivers in man coverage. Alert in zone and shows good route recognition. Closes on the ball quickly. Long arms and quick hands to slap away the pass as it arrives. At least adequate ball skills (five career INTs).
Tackling: True thumper that can be an intimidating force in the middle. Classic hit-lift-drive tackler with the strength to knock the ballcarrier off his feet with the long arms to wrap around for the secure stop. Breaks down well in space to make the sure stop against smaller, quicker ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally, though he can give up too easily in pursuit downfield.
Pass Rush/Blitz: Great size and closing speed but he isn't there yet. Times his blitz well and gets skinny to get through the line of scrimmage. Doesn't show enough hand technique to disengage as a pass rusher. Relies on his bull rush to push the pocket and is strong enough for this to be effective. Savvy enough to get his hands up in the passing lanes when he can't get to the quarterback in time.

Intangibles: Described as a film junkie and defensive coordinator on the field. Is characterized as not only knowing his assignment on every defensive call, but also the job of every defensive teammate. Incredibly competitive. Never missed a game at Alabama. Voted a team captain in 2009 as a junior.
This how NFL scouts view McClain....how does running at the combine change
his body of work at Alabama?

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Blind love. McClain is hands down the best ILB prospect in the draft. That's not really even a debate considering the next best might not even be drafted in the 1st round.

He maybe the "best" ILB prospect in this class. But what does that say about the class? I have not been impressed by this group of ILB's at all. And he probably will be the first ILB drafted. And he may even go into the top 15. Does that mean that he deserves it? Every year people go higher or lower that what they should. I personally believe that he is not worth a first rounder. He has not shown his athleticism on tape and he is not showing it at the combine.

#1dolphinsfan
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
the combine should be mandatory unless you have a injury

Clipse
He maybe the "best" ILB prospect in this class. But what does that say about the class? I have not been impressed by this group of ILB's at all. And he probably will be the first ILB drafted. And he may even go into the top 15. Does that mean that he deserves it? Every year people go higher or lower that what they should. I personally believe that he is not worth a first rounder. He has not shown his athleticism on tape and he is not showing it at the combine.
He is worth every bit of a top 15 pick to a 3-4 team. A 4-3 team not so much.

NamathDrunkLove
don't get me wrong, i like dez and want him to be there at 12, but if anything, people are questioning his 40 time

Not anywhere near the extent that people are questioning McClains....

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
He is worth every bit of a top 15 pick to a 3-4 team. A 4-3 team not so much.

And why not in a 4-3? Because people question his athleticism... Part of what makes Parick Willis so great are his instincts, size, and ATHLETICISM.. And he plays in a 3-4. As does Ray Lewis.

The bottom line is he still has much to prove in the athleticism department.

Fins917
03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Not anywhere near the extent that people are questioning McClains....

of course not

SamIam
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Are you related to Rolando Mcclain?

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Read & React: Excellent key-and-diagnose skills. Identifies the play quickly and has little to no wasted motion in getting to the action. Rarely fooled by misdirection. Recognizes screens quickly and attacks before linemen have a chance to set up blocks. Dedicated and he has to be kicked out of the film room.
Run defense: Prototypical size and strength for inside linebacker. Instinctive. Takes good angles to the ball. Good vision and balance to flow through the trash. Great strength in his hands to stack and shed blockers. Tall enough to locate the ballcarrier while being blocked and can forcefully toss the blocker to the side to make the play. Has good, not great speed lateral and straight-line speed to the sideline. Faster on the field than in workouts because of his instincts.
Pass defense: Gains good depth in his drops, but is stiff and struggles a bit changing direction to stay with receivers in man coverage. Alert in zone and shows good route recognition. Closes on the ball quickly. Long arms and quick hands to slap away the pass as it arrives. At least adequate ball skills (five career INTs).
Tackling: True thumper that can be an intimidating force in the middle. Classic hit-lift-drive tackler with the strength to knock the ballcarrier off his feet with the long arms to wrap around for the secure stop. Breaks down well in space to make the sure stop against smaller, quicker ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally, though he can give up too easily in pursuit downfield.
Pass Rush/Blitz: Great size and closing speed but he isn't there yet. Times his blitz well and gets skinny to get through the line of scrimmage. Doesn't show enough hand technique to disengage as a pass rusher. Relies on his bull rush to push the pocket and is strong enough for this to be effective. Savvy enough to get his hands up in the passing lanes when he can't get to the quarterback in time.
Intangibles: Described as a film junkie and defensive coordinator on the field. Is characterized as not only knowing his assignment on every defensive call, but also the job of every defensive teammate. Incredibly competitive. Never missed a game at Alabama. Voted a team captain in 2009 as a junior.

This how NFL scouts view McClain....how does running at the combine change
his body of work at Alabama?

Again, the only thing that I question is his athleticism. He was not able to answer that at the combine. I am not arguing that he is not a very instinctive/smart linebacker. Although out of this scouting report I do question his tackling. Look up anywhere else and he is not described as a "thumper."

MobileFin
03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
"He's a heckuva football player," Mike Singletary said today before addressing reporters from a podium at the NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium.

"Intelligence, toughness, awareness, instincts. That's probably his No. 1 quality. ...
Anybody that gets him is getting a good football player."

Singletary was asked if 40-yard dash times are overrated for middle linebackers.

"Absolutely," he said. "There are some players that will run a great 40. There are others that don't run a 40 that won't turn a lot of heads. But the No. 1 thing, when you look at film: the football player. The teams that win year in and year out are the teams that have more football players."

McClain is rated as the No. 1 inside linebacker and the No. 6 overall prospect in the NFL draft by Scott Wright, an NFL draft expert.

By the way, what was Singletary's 40-yard dash time in his playing days with the Chicago Bears?

"About a 4.6," he said.AL.com

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
And why not in a 4-3? Because people question his athleticism... Part of what makes Parick Willis so great are his instincts, size, and ATHLETICISM.. And he plays in a 3-4. As does Ray Lewis.

The bottom line is he still has much to prove in the athleticism department.
If you compare every ILB that comes out to Lewis or Willis, you're never going to be satisfied, ever. McCLain is almost a Dansby clone, yet everybody wants us to sign Dansby. You don't have to have elite athleticism to be a very good ILB, and watching tape on MCClain you can see that he's plenty athletic enough to make it at the next level, no question about it.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Are you related to Rolando Mcclain?
Nope, I'm pointing out the obvious truth.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
AL.com

I am not debating whether he is going to be a good football player. I am debating whether is he is worth picking top 15.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
When did it become fashionable to knock McClain? Most of the people dogging the guy have probably never seen him play more than 2 quarters of football.

Namor
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
We need FOOTBALL PLAYERS ,not combine warriors...remember the great
Vernon Gholston?
How athletic and fast was Zach Thomas?

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:49 PM
If you compare every ILB that comes out to Lewis or Willis, you're never going to be satisfied, ever. McCLain is almost a Dansby clone, yet everybody wants us to sign Dansby. You don't have to have elite athleticism to be a very good ILB, and watching tape on MCClain you can see that he's plenty athletic enough to make it at the next level, no question about it.

With signing Dansby you get a proven player and you do not have to give up a draft pick. And at the 12th spot in the draft you better have some pretty good measurables to be picked that high. Again, if he was so athletic, then why are so many people questioning his athleticism? Everywhere you look online scouts question his athleticism. I do not doubt that he has the talent to be a very good player, just at the 12th spot in the draft I want someone with measurables to go along with instincts.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
We need FOOTBALL PLAYERS ,not combine warriors...remember the great
Vernon Gholston?
How athletic and fast was Zach Thomas?

Zach Thomas in his prime had sideline to sideline speed. McClain does not.

MobileFin
I am not debating whether he is going to be a good football player. I am debating whether is he is worth picking top 15.

I know. Just thought it was a cool article since he coaches the LB people were talking about earlier in the thread.

Drafting a LB this high can be risky, and I guess we'll see what happens.

Fins917
dang, 4.6 back then is prob like 4.4 now with how much faster players on o have gotten. i'm surprised he ran that.

with that said, i see like 4.7 for mcclain. which isn't bad for his size.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
When did it become fashionable to knock McClain? Most of the people dogging the guy have probably never seen him play more than 2 quarters of football.

When you actually watch the film on him. When did it become so fashionable to fall in love and compare him to pro bowl players?

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
brandon spikes isn't running either.

there are plenty of guys over the years who haven't run, haven't benched, haven't thrown....

I get that you don't like mcclain, but your in the minority. he's a sure fire first round pick.

get used to that.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
With signing Dansby you get a proven player and you do not have to give up a draft pick. And at the 12th spot in the draft you better have some pretty good measurables to be picked that high. Again, if he was so athletic, then why are so many people questioning his athleticism? Everywhere you look online scouts question his athleticism. I do not doubt that he has the talent to be a very good player, just at the 12th spot in the draft I want someone with measurables to go along with instincts.
McClain is plenty atheltic enough. So what he's not Patrick Willis athletic. You're going to find very, very few ILB's McClain's size with his speed and athleticism.

SamIam
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM

I guess that explains why he has opted out of the forty-yard dash and all athletic drills at the Scouting Combine.... oh wait he is injured :rolleyes2:

Namor
03-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Zach Thomas in his prime had sideline to sideline speed. McClain does not.

The knock on Zach coming out of Tech was his size and speed.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
When you actually watch the film on him. When did it become so fashionable to fall in love and compare him to pro bowl players?

what film have you watched on mcclain.

the fact that you want to watch the guy do 3 cone drills and run a 40 yard dash to determine his athleticism says a lot to me.

you have probably heard a time or two that he has a tendency to tackle high. this is true. it's easy to form an opinion when all you do is read a few scout articles and watch some youtube videos.

he is without question a top fifteen talent. Not to say he will be a top fifteen pick, because even nfl network just said that there could be OL selected in 4 of the first 9 nine picks. drafting is about BPA and NEED.

I have a hard time digesting why you are so down on this guy.

what ILB do you have rated higher than him.

the guys at the combine just said the first thing they see when they showed spikes...(as he was in sweats, skipping the 40)... was a mike backer in a 4-3... some guys just project into different schemes more than others.

Namor
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I sure would HATE for the Pats to get McClain.

Clipse
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess that explains why he has opted out of the forty-yard dash and all athletic drills at the Scouting Combine.... oh wait he is injured :rolleyes2:
And you know he's not injured :rolleyes2:

X-Pacolypse
03-01-2010, 04:08 PM
If all this "negative" press makes McClain available at #12, I'll be jumping for joy on Draft Day.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
If all this "negative" press makes McClain available at #12, I'll be jumping for joy on Draft Day.

are you sure man... I mean he's obviously scared of the 40 yard dash vertical jump, and 3 cone drill.

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I sure would HATE for the Pats to get McClain.

me too...same for jerry hughes among a lot of others

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
well, the Pats are going to be getting some very good value in the 2nd. just another draft with the Pats having tonnes of picks lol.

Fins917
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
i kinda have the feeling that if mcclain were there, def take him at 12. but deep down im hoping he isnt and we take weatherspoon.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:50 PM
im lovi ng weatherspoon, but at 239 i just cant see him inside. i see a 4-3 backer.

ckparrothead
03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I think it's pretty clear that BOTH Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain have something to hide, and that is why they're not running. I'm not biased here. I've been talking up Brandon Spikes for years, whereas I've only recently taken issue with the notion that Rolando McClain is top 10 talent. I'm disappointed on both fronts, but it's clear that they're trying to hide something.

SamIam
03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
And you know he's not injured :rolleyes2:

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and lays eggs, it's a frikkin' duck

TedSlimmJr
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Spikes has a lot more to hide than McClain does.....Spikes didn't even bench.....I've previously mentioned several times that I didn't think Spikes could get the bar up more than 15-17 times or so....

McClain locked out 24.......Willis only did 22 reps at the combine....and Dansby? Well he only did 15....and that was at his pro day...

All this doesn't have a damn thing to do with how good of a football player you are.....all this is about is money and draft position...

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Slimm, what is with Mayocks love of Pierre-Paul? Is he any more athletic than Johnson from GT last year? And he went in the 3rd was it?

TedSlimmJr
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I have no idea Zach....I've never figured out why anybody loved Pierre-Paul that much.....Hell I liked Michael Johnson better as a prospect.....

The one thing Pierre-Paul supposedly had going for him was his tremendous wingspan and arm length....and his arms are only an 1 1/2" longer than Eric Berry's...

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I have not idea Zach....I've never figured out why anybody loved Pierre-Paul that much.....Hell I liked Michael Johnson better as a prospect.....

The one thing Pierre-Paul supposedly had going for him was his tremendous wingspan and arm length....and his arms are only an 1 1/2" longer than Eric Berry's...

not to mention the fact that he has started what like 5 games.

talk about raw. he is a project in my opinion, but has a high ceiling. but I can't see taking him as early as someone is going to take him.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I think it's pretty clear that BOTH Brandon Spikes and Rolando McClain have something to hide, and that is why they're not running. I'm not biased here. I've been talking up Brandon Spikes for years, whereas I've only recently taken issue with the notion that Rolando McClain is top 10 talent. I'm disappointed on both fronts, but it's clear that they're trying to hide something.

I agree. If anything I am mad that neither ran because I know that we NEED an ILB. But them no running or doing drills is a huge red flag because they can't disprove their biggest knocks. I wanted them to come out and run to prove me wrong. But my opinion gets jumped on that I don't think he is athletic enough to be a top 15 pick.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
not to mention the fact that he has started what like 5 games.

talk about raw. he is a project in my opinion, but has a high ceiling. but I can't see taking him as early as someone is going to take him.

Oakland? lol. why is Al Davis allowed to draft? man, that Brandon Graham looks like a little rock. 6'1 and I think they said 267. very thick and powerfull.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I have no idea Zach....I've never figured out why anybody loved Pierre-Paul that much.....Hell I liked Michael Johnson better as a prospect.....

who do you take at 12 if you take an OLB Slimm? I love Woodley, so Im not concerned with Grahams "measureables". you would take Griffen? btw, the thighs on Dan Williams are just ridiculous. lol

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
are you sure man... I mean he's obviously scared of the 40 yard dash vertical jump, and 3 cone drill.

Yes apparently he is afraid to do any of the drills to help his case.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM

if he were coming in as a DE or OLB, I would want to see all these drills that translate to a first step explosiveness off the ball... seeing as he is coming out as a ILB... I see no reason to get my boxers all bunched up.

MobileFin
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Perhaps you will finally get it. He doesnt have to help his case. He can only hurt it.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
if he were coming in as a DE or OLB, I would want to see all these drills that translate to a first step explosiveness off the ball... seeing as he is coming out as a ILB... I see no reason to get my boxers all bunched up.

I don't base all of how I rate players on their combine numbers. The whole reason why I wanted to see what he could run at the forty was because I really was not that impressed with his game tape speed or agility. And yes, an ILB should have some kind of burst and agility because of the change of direction they have to go through to get after a ball carrier. If he had performed well at the combine I would have never brought this up because it would have alleviated some of the concerns I have about his athleticism.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't base all of how I rate players on their combine numbers. The whole reason why I wanted to see what he could run at the forty was because I really was not that impressed with his game tape speed or agility. And yes, an ILB should have some kind of burst and agility because of the change of direction they have to go through to get after a ball carrier. If he had performed well at the combine I would have never brought this up because it would have alleviated some of the concerns I have about his athleticism.

you wanted to see him run a forty to determine his agility and change of direction???
I'll ask again... how much tape DID you watch of mcclain where you actually broke down mcclain???

mike singletary was saying whoever gets this guy will have one heckuva a football player. 40 times for ILBs are overrated.

mcclain thinks he can run close to a 4.5.... we'll see. hopefully he doesn't, if he does I have a hunch he will be gone before 12.

Breed
03-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Perhaps you will finally get it. He doesnt have to help his case. He can only hurt it.

On game tape, his athleticism was/is such a huge question mark, that there is far more good he could've done at the combine than bad. IMO, anything better than a 4.8 in the 40 yard dash would've helped McClain, as he has well below average game speed. Think how much McClain could've helped his stock by running a 4.60-4.69 40 yard dash. If McClain had run just decent times in the 40 yard dash and the 3 cone drill, he would've solidified his status as a top 10-15 draft pick.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
you wanted to see him run a forty to determine his agility and change of direction???
I'll ask again... how much tape DID you watch of mcclain where you actually broke down mcclain???

mike singletary was saying whoever gets this guy will have one heckuva a football player. 40 times for ILBs are overrated.

mcclain thinks he can run close to a 4.5.... we'll see. hopefully he doesn't, if he does I have a hunch he will be gone before 12.

Let me rephrase. I wanted to see him run the forty, 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle to determine all of those things. Never did Singletary say in that article that 40 yard dashes were overrated for LB's. He simply said that instincts and smarts were the most important. I agree that he will be good, but you can't tell me that having good to elite physical tools does not help. It seems like everyone on this board views him as a top ten pick on just instincts alone.

And I have watched quite a bit of game film of him. Hence the reason I wanted to see some of his numbers at the combine to see if he really is as slow as he looks.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
On game tape, his athleticism was/is such a huge question mark, that there is far more good he could've done at the combine than bad. IMO, anything better than a 4.8 in the 40 yard dash would've helped McClain, as he has well below average game speed. Think how much McClain could've helped his stock by running a 4.60-4.69 40 yard dash. If McClain had run just decent times in the 40 yard dash and the 3 cone drill, he would've solidified his status as a top 10-15 draft pick.

he still can... it's called a pro day.

52CANES
03-01-2010, 06:49 PM

If he ran today and ran at the pro day you can only be HELPED by having 2 numbers. All the guys have said several times during the combine coverage that they just want to see their BEST times to see what their potential is.

So he is actually HURTING himself by only giving himself 1 public official workout instead of 2.

TedSlimmJr
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Brandon Spikes pretty much blew tadpoles in drills today.....he looked sloppy....

I wouldn't be surprised if McClain, Weatherspoon, and Butler all come off the board before he does.....Spikes is struggling to earn a mid-round grade right now......

...oh well....so much for the 1st round pick hype he earned around here...

MobileFin
03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
If he ran today and ran at the pro day you can only be HELPED by having 2 numbers. All the guys have said several times during the combine coverage that they just want to see their BEST times to see what their potential is.

So he is actually HURTING himself by only giving himself 1 public official workout instead of 2.
It doesnt really matter. It upsets people on the NFL Network and ESPN, but scouts get over it quickly.

The drama queens all swore Andre Smith could fall to the second round last year - but everyone with common sense knew he was still a top ten pick. Most understand it is a business.

SamIam
03-01-2010, 07:16 PM

So he is obviously worried that he he may hurt his stock.. and in this case why the heck are you going to invest a high pick on a guy who is hiding something.

al711
03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Let's see...take the opinion of current and former scouts and or players about McClain or some forum geek breakin down you-tube videos....hhhmmmm...I'll go with the coaches, scouts and players, but thanks for your opinion...

52CANES
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
It doesnt really matter. It upsets people on the NFL Network and ESPN, but scouts get over it quickly.

The drama queens all swore Andre Smith could fall to the second round last year - but everyone with common sense knew he was still a top ten pick. Most understand it is a business.

Yeah but... ILB isn't as much of a premium position as LT... obviously he'll still go in the 1st.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
just heard mayock say they got word from mcclains agent that he has a hamstring injury since the bowl game.

he's had two MRI's apparently.... hard to believe they would make that up, but maybe.

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

you know, it just dawned on me that you question his athleticism.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Brandon Spikes pretty much blew tadpoles in drills today.....he looked sloppy....

I wouldn't be surprised if McClain, Weatherspoon, and Butler all come off the board before he does.....Spikes is struggling to earn a mid-round grade right now......

...oh well....so much for the 1st round pick hype he earned around here...

I asked CK if indeed he runs a 5 sec 40 if he's still the best "fit" for the Phins defense. I dont want to go anywhere near this guy. whats the point? is he head and shoulders better than Crowder?

52CANES
03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I asked CK if indeed he runs a 5 sec 40 if he's still the best "fit" for the Phins defense. I dont want to go anywhere near this guy. whats the point? is he head and shoulders better than Crowder?

Yeah Micah Johnson ran a 4.99 also... . bleah.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 07:40 PM

I agree a 40 time for an inside backer is over rated, unless of course its near 5 seconds lol. instincts cant be taught or coached. you have it or you dont. and if you have them, and can anticiapte where a play is going, it will always make up for any lack of perceived speed.

ckparrothead
03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Hard to get a good comparison of Spikes and McClain on LB drills when Rolando wimps out like he did. I don't have Spikes off my board but I don't have him high on it either. And if Spikes does run a 5.0 then I would have him lower than 2nd round, though still a good fit for this defense at the right price.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
you know, it just dawned on me that you question his athleticism.

Way to keep up :rolleyes2:

al711
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Yah and vice versa,if you have great speed but below average instincts and smarts you will have a hard time as well...constantly being behind and out of position,kinda like Crowder and Ayodale...

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Yah and vice versa,if you have great speed but below average instincts and smarts you will have a hard time as well...constantly being behind and out of position,kinda like Crowder and Ayodale...

So if it works both ways, why would you want that kind of player with the 12th pick???

TedSlimmJr
03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Actually I still like Spikes....although I liked him in the 2nd/3rd round range....but he's even more unathletic than I thought....obviously doesn't take a tremendous amount of athletic ability to jump piles....

I'll still take him in the 3rd/4th round range....because he can blitz...

Clipse
03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
So he is obviously worried that he he may hurt his stock.. and in this case why the heck are you going to invest a high pick on a guy who is hiding something.
You do realize how many players who know they will be high picks do this every year right? Obviously not. McClain's going to run around a 4.6 at his pro day, make no mistake about it. I'll guess a 4.65 at the highest. The scouts know if he sat out because of a Hammy, that's all that matters. Only people that are upset he didn't run at the combine are fans and "experts" like Mayock or Kiper. Scouts will wait until his Pro Day, no problem. But I mean going by your logic, we'd be stupid to draft Dez Bryant because he's obviously hiding something...

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
You do realize how many players who know they will be high picks do this every year right? Obviously not. McClain's going to run around a 4.6 at his pro day, make no mistake about it.

Bookmarked

Clipse
03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Bookmarked
Be my guest. I've been wrong before, but I'm expecting around a 4.6, 4.65 at the lowest.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Hard to get a good comparison of Spikes and McClain on LB drills when Rolando wimps out like he did. I don't have Spikes off my board but I don't have him high on it either. And if Spikes does run a 5.0 then I would have him lower than 2nd round, though still a good fit for this defense at the right price.

i guess Dez Bryant, Tebow, Claussen, McCoy, etc wimped out as well. you know better than anyone its a business, and hes acting on advice of his agent.

NamathDrunkLove
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
i guess Dez Bryant, Tebow, Claussen, McCoy, etc wimped out as well. you know better than anyone its a business, and hes acting on advice of his agent.

Considering all of those players (excluding Tebow, but at least he did everything but throw. All McClain did was weigh in, lift, and do interviews) had legitimate excuses not to participate, I have to disagree with your assessment. They are not wimps. They all reported injuries weeks before the combine and stated that they would not be participating. I find it very strange that the news came up that McClain would not be participating in the LB drills or workouts just a few minutes before the workouts started. I have not found a single article anywhere stating he was injured during the senior bowl and that he would not be participating in the drills at the combine.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Considering all of those players (excluding Tebow, but at least he did everything but throw. All McClain did was weigh in, lift, and do interviews) had legitimate excuses not to participate, I have to disagree with your assessment. They are not wimps. They all reported injuries weeks before the combine and stated that they would not be participating. I find it very strange that the news came up that McClain would not be participating in the LB drills or workouts just a few minutes before the workouts started. I have not found a single article anywhere stating he was injured during the senior bowl and that he would not be participating in the drills at the combine.

Casserly also reported that McCoy was examined and was healthy, or very close to it. The reality is the qb's want to throw to their receivers on a script at their Proday to look as good as possible. Im glad Tim Tebow came out and lifted and ran, I mean thats how I want to evaluate a qb. Why is it ok for all these other players to want to perform with a " home field advantage" but McClain is a wimp? Its fine to disagree on McClains abilities and draft value, or his fit for the Phins defense, but hold all the other players to the same standard then. Tebow had no excuse to not throw if we go by your logic.

SamIam
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
You do realize how many players who know they will be high picks do this every year right? Obviously not. McClain's going to run around a 4.6 at his pro day, make no mistake about it. I'll guess a 4.65 at the highest. The scouts know if he sat out because of a Hammy, that's all that matters. Only people that are upset he didn't run at the combine are fans and "experts" like Mayock or Kiper. Scouts will wait until his Pro Day, no problem. But I mean going by your logic, we'd be stupid to draft Dez Bryant because he's obviously hiding something...

Mcclain is not injured... he just does not want to be exposed.

Let me ask you a question.... why is a Ndamukong Suh ( a guaranteed top 3 pick ) participating in the combine workouts and drills?

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
spikes did look poor in drills today...he's dropped for me some