PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers done working at Indy Combine

DKphin
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
UF's Brandon Spikes: Continues to look unathletic and heavy footed in the drills. Looked slow and not agile in footwork drills. Him choosing not to run in the 40 and doing this drill probably makes me wonder if he could have broken a 4.9.
Mizzou's Sean Weatherspoon: Came in at 6-1 and 239 pounds. Ran the 40 in a white unitard. Loved the outfit. Guy is a playmaker and is very strong as evidenced by his 34 reps on the bench press. Just ran a 4.57. A mid- to late 1st rounder. I think he would fit just fine in the middle of the 3-4 and is great in coverage to boot. Also very outgoing, proper, and loquacious. Teammates rally around him. Continues to impress with athleticism in footwork drills.
Iowa's A.J. Edds: Big backer who was fairly impressive at the Senior Bowl. Very good in coverage and ran a 4.67. Could be a nice pick in the 5th-6th, although he could slip into the 4th. Continues to look impressive in pass coverage drills. Good footwork and agility in and out of his breaks
SouthCarolina's Eric Norwood: Had a decent unofficial 4.67 time - I feel he is a little too much of a one-trick pony (rushing the passer) and Dolphins have that already in Cameron Wake. I wouldn't take him before the 4th but some team will probably bite in the 3rd.
Penn State's Sean Lee: ILB prospect with injury concerns ran a decent 40 at 4.72; but looked unathletic in the drills. Mayock said he sees him maybe in the late 1st early 2nd. I wouldn't take him before the 3rd. Improved footwork in the later coverage drills. Much smoother.
Kentucky's Micah Johnson: Ran an unofficial 4.99 - confirming that he would strictly be a two-down run stuffer. That would pretty much duplicate what the Dolphins have in Crowder. But, he is built like an Adonis and hits like a train.
Mississippi State's Jamar Chaney: Ran a very good 4.51. He was expected to test very well and after having him in the Senior Bowl I am sure the Dolphins are very familiar with him. With the lack of depth at the position - I think he goes in the 4th but would be excellent value in the 5th.
Alabama's Rolando McClain: He did nothing. His agent texted the NFL Network to explain McClain is dealing with a hamstring issue and will do all his work at his Pro Day. To me, McClain came off as not wanting to really be at the Combine. Sure, he said he just wants to play football - but who here doesn't? Some might call it confident. I thought he was very "Sabanish." It might not be a bad thing if the guy turns out to be an All-Pro. I still get the feeling a lot of what he did had to do with Saban's scheme. That being said I think he will be a good player and if the Dolphins don't sign Karlos Dansby he probably will be the pick. For him being so big he wasn't very strong in the bench and I'm not convinced he'll run a 4.5 like he says he eventually will.
South Florida's Jason Pierre-Paul: Ran a very good unoffical 4.64. People have him going as high as No. 3. I don't know if someone with only one year of Divison 1 football is worth that high a pick. He is a heck of an athlete though. Want to see him in the LB drills. Also looked pretty comfortable dropping back in the LB drill - guy is an all-around athlete.
Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan: Showed pretty good footwork and quicks in the linebacker drill so maybe he can make the transition to OLB. I think he goes Top 10 but could be there at #12.
Michigan's Brandon Graham: Didn't do any position drills because he tweaked a hamstring during the 40-yard dahs. He ran a 4.69 unofficial at 260 pounds. He did 31 reps on the bench press so he didn't go anywhere near the 40 he said he would do, but it's still pretty good.
Texas's Sergio Kindle: Measured in at 6-2 7/8 and 250 so he's much shorter than the 6-5 he was listed at. Had only spoken to Browns but has 20 interviews set up......Would prefer to play OLB in a 3-4. Learned much from rookie of the year Brian Orakpo. Credits former Dolphins assistant Will Muschamp for much of his development. Says he will run a good enough 40 to open coaches eyes. I'm not sold on him being the pick at #12 but let's see how he works out. Wasn't overly impressive in the LB drills; footwork was a little sloppy and stumbled a bit. Did show good straight line speed with an unofficial 4.65. Mayock continues to gush about him and some NFL buddies of mine think he is the best 3-4 OLB prospect in the draft as well.
TCU's Jerry Hughes: Rush LB from TCU came in at 6-1 3/4 and 255 pounds. Not prototype OLB size for Miami style 3-4. With an unofficial time of 4.59 and some nice quickness in the swim and rip move, decent explosiveness in the stack and shed, Hughes appears to have helped himself here. I have him in the 2nd round and maybe sliding to #43. He appears to have the tools to play OLB in the 3-4.Continues to look natural in the LB drills - good hands and quick feet in coverage drill. Looks very comfortable (being a former RB he is very athletic).
Utah's Koa Misi: Impressed in the Senior Bowl where he began making the transition to LB. Showed good feet and ran a 4.69 in the 40. Looked fairly natural and fluid in the LB drills. I give him a 4th round grade with a chance to go in the 3rd.
Ohio State's Thaddeus Gibson: Underclassman showed decent speed with an unofficial 4.71 and also showing quick feet in the drills. Another guy whom I feel can play the outside in a 3-4. Would present excellent value in the 3rd round - but could get picked up in the 2nd.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/linebackers-done-working-at-indy-combine.html

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 07:41 PM
agree with most of your breakdown.

the jury is out on mcclain. mayock also noted that mcclain has had a couple MRI's on the injury. So I don't question his injury any more than I question how tweaked grahams injury was. I like both prospects a lot.

JPP... how on earth do people fall in love with this guy so fast. If I heard correctly he started less than half a season in his college career. They call him a freak. I also called vernon gholston a freak. He's very raw. hard to believe he will go in the first round let alone top five.

I liked both the iowa linebackers. edds to me is the better prospect but angerer has a nack for finding the ball and tackling the ball carrier. I think edds can do it all. I watch every hawk game every year, and I would be pleased to land either of those two guys. angerer, just looks like he is pissed out there. I loved the poor mans zach thomas reference.

I enjoyed watching spoon as well, but I still like him as a rush backer instead of in the middle. he certainly looks like an animal.

nice post

ckparrothead
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
It's not like JPP has been off radar all year. He's been absolutely turning heads so fast all during the college season that they got whiplash.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
so where would you draft JPP then CK? do you, like Mayock, believe he's a top 10 pick?

Digital
03-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Of course he's a top ten pick ... Al Davis is drafting in the top ten--as always--and there's always the chance Al Davis pulls the trigger. JPP is an absolute monster physically, his measurables are off the charts. There isn't much chance of Ireland & Co. drafting him in round 1, nor of JPP being around when we draft in round 2, so I almost think it's pointless to even talk about him ... but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I think we have a better chance of getting Eric Berry than of getting JPP. At least there is some scenario of Berry sliding and/or us trading up that makes some sense and he's the size/athleticism/professionalism/track record that the we love. JPP lacks the track record for us to have any shot at him where we value him compared to where other teams value him.

209Mason
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Edds ftw!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Watching Iowa all year, Edds can definitely cover more field (5 ints), has a bigger frame to work with (6-4), and is more of a 'shows up in critical situations' type player in that he had picks in big games such as at Penn State and in the Orange Bowl. Not as many tackles, but he silently had a very good season and always seemed to show up when he was needed most.

Angerer reminds me a lot more of Zach Thomas... He's shorter at 6-1 but gives 110% and is in on every play (nearly twice as many tackles as Edds) and a pretty sure tackler. Recorded back to back 100+ tackles in the two seasons he was a starter.

That said, I definitely wouldn't look to either prior to the mid-late 4th round as I don't think they'll have the immediate impact we'd need at LB.

Ozfin77
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Edds will be gone by the 3rd Round and Angerer not long after.

Would love either of these guys!