PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Students Riot over Subway Sandwiches

CedarPhin
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Crowds outside the building continued to swell, and by about 1:30 a.m., people began to clash with police, throwing bottles, setting trash ablaze and breaking several windows on Telegraph, including the plate-glass front windows of a Subway sandwich shop, police said. Protesters lit a large garbage container on fire, then rolled it into the street…

A protest leader, UC Berkeley student Callie Maidhof, defended the vandalism and said rioters targeted the sandwich shop because a second Subway is scheduled to open on campus, just across Bancroft Way.

“There will be two Subways within 100 feet of each other,” she said.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/03/01/higher-tuition-and-two-subway-sandwich-shops-berkeley-students-declare-war/

You can't make this up.

Bumpus
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
:chuckle: Stoned hippies with the munchies.

X-Pacolypse
03-01-2010, 08:56 PM
What in the hell was the point of this riot? With all of the stoners in Berkeley you would think the more Subway restaurants they have the better.

CedarPhin
03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Apparently they've either run out of things to protest against, or it's the corporate nature of Subway?

I'm surprised they weren't burning effigies of Jared from Subway.

1 dol fan
03-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Even as a stoner, this stuff doesn't make any sense... More Subways=More food...

More food= leftover bread they throw out at night...

More Bread= More free muinchies...

Idiots...

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Even as a stoner, this stuff doesn't make any sense... More Subways=More food...

More food= leftover bread they throw out at night...

More Bread= More free muinchies...

Idiots...

They're probably just pissed that that's where they'll end up at after spending 100K on a UC education.

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Maybe Subway should be kicking itself for putting two across from each other, and as a result, having a bad business sense.

Otherwise, I don't know why you'd protest over a Subway.

1 dol fan
03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
maybe they are trying to help subway in thanks for all the cheap munchies

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't get why you'd light a garbage can on fire, only to roll it down the street.

Doesn't make any sense, but then again, nothing they do in Berkeley makes a whole hell of a lot of sense.

1 dol fan
03-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Yea, I am done trying to understand why they would do such a thing... lots of book knowledge... not too much common sense

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 01:26 AM
That's pretty much it. I went to the law school forum 2 Sundays ago, and I ride the Hilton shuttle to the BART station by the coliseum.

Some dude from Berkeley's on the same shuttle.

Comes up to me and asks "How does this train work?"

Now obviously, this guy had been living in the area for several years, and it baffled me that he didn't know how to ride the BART. If you live in the area and don't have a car, it's a given you'll ride the BART around. I just told him that you buy a ticket. He had no idea how to get back to Berkeley either. I told him to check the map out.

How he got to the forum in the first place? I have no idea.

GoonBoss
03-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Stupid hippies desperately grasping for relevance.

BobDole
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
i had a cousin that went there and visited her a few times way back when. this is just par for the course.