PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins Interested in Scott Long

FinAtic8480
03-02-2010, 01:00 AM
University of Louisville wide receiver Scott Long had an extremely strong NFL scouting combine, boosting his stock with several eye-catching tests.
The 6-foot-2, 216-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds and had the best vertical leap with a 41 inch showing.
He had the fastest three-cone drill with a time of 6.45 seconds, had the second-fastest 20-yard shuttle run with a 4.05 time and the top 60-yard shuttle time in 11.06 seconds.
He tied Arrelious Benn and Donald Jones for the most repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press test with 20 reps apiece.
He finished in the top 10 in every category with the highest point total overall at his position.
Last season, Long caught 53 passes for 727 yards and two touchdowns.
According to a league source, Long has drawn interest from the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, Miami Dolphins and the New York Jets, among other teams.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Scott-Long-turns-heads-at-the-scouting-combine.html

Aqua and Orange
03-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I actually looked at who had the best cone drill this year because I know it factored HEAVILY in us getting Brian Hartline out of nowhere last season.

I expect the Phins to draft Long if he lasts until the later rounds.

#1dolphinsfan
03-02-2010, 01:30 AM
As long as we dont reach for him in the draft i wouldnt mind getting him but i am hoping that D. Thomas falls to the 43 pick because of his broken foot if we cant get Dez Bryant in the first round

justdev7
03-02-2010, 01:42 AM
I just made a thread about him. I knew nothing about him but a guy who lives in Louisville filled me in. He's torn his ACL before and he kind of got lost the shuffle after that. There was inconsistent QB play and apparently bad coaching. His pro day might not be that revealing either because there's not really a solid QB to throw to him. If we want to see what he's got we'll have to do what we did with Nicks last year and have Henne throw to him. I'm intrigued though. But one good point that guy from Louisville made was that we're not going to take 2 WR's so if we take him that means that we're not picking up a WR in the early rounds

mmikel30
03-02-2010, 04:13 AM
As long as we dont reach for him in the draft i wouldnt mind getting him but i am hoping that D. Thomas falls to the 43 pick because of his broken foot if we cant get Dez Bryant in the first roundthomas will fall farther than that,

Elliott 1
03-02-2010, 04:49 AM
He could be taken very very early.

He wasn't supposed to do anything like this at the combine.

It's almost like there has been some kind of mistaken identity.

He was known for having great hands and good route running but they doubted he could transition to the NFL because of his physical limitations.

Well.......I guess he showed them!

OK, now what is his weakness?

Seriously doubt that this kid is going to slide into the later rounds.

That 3 cone time is insane. Is that a record?

But look who was right with him at almost every time?? Blair White, the perfectionist.

I'd take Blair White in the mid rounds. Who, thanks to Long, is still a little under the radar.

MrClean
03-02-2010, 05:34 AM
That 3 cone may be a record. Last year the best WR in the cone was Tiquan Underwood with a 6.62. Hartline tied for 2nd at 6.65, which would have been good enough for 3rd this year.
Ok, I just checked and that is the 2nd best 3 cone, going back to 2000. The best was in 2000, by CB Sedrick Curry who did a 6.34.

finatic33
03-02-2010, 07:24 AM
That 3 cone may be a record. Last year the best WR in the cone was Tiquan Underwood with a 6.62. Hartline tied for 2nd at 6.65, which would have been good enough for 3rd this year.
Ok, I just checked and that is the 2nd best 3 cone, going back to 2000. The best was in 2000, by CB Sedrick Curry who did a 6.34.

care to share where you're getting your info from?

Pat-London
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I agree the 3 cone drill is very insightful. Ive tried to find Pat Turner's but no joy. Anyone know it?

j-off-her-doll
03-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Made a post the other day asking who he is. His combine numbers jump out at you, and the scouting reports says he's a good route running with good hands. I'd love to see some more.

fgrocker
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Only if it's in the later rounds. Dude has athleticism and speed, but not great football talent. Workout warriors should never be targeted early.

LouPhinFan
03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
He's not really a workout warrior. He's always been in good shape his whole tenure here at U of L. His stats are lower because of the horrible head coaching job that Steve Kragthrope did while he was here. Also the merry-go-round at QB last season didn't help much either. He's had some knee problems, including an ACL. Early in his career he was stuck behind Harry Douglas (Falcons) and Mario Urrita (Bengals), 2 NFL draft picks. Started to emerge only to have a freak knee injury during a special teams drill in preseason (why, as our #1 WR, he was in a ST drill to begin with, well...that's Kragthorpe for you) of his junior year.

He's got excellent hands and made a number of good catches last season and no real drops stand out in my mind. He's tough and a good kid to boot. He's worth a flyer in the later rounds, but like I said in another thread, the Fins are probably only going to draft 1 WR this year and it will probably be somewhere in the first 3 rounds. That is unless they move Ginn Jr. somewhere. Then they might take 2.

Roman529
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
He has really good hands and nice size...here is a youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RRIzV3ELG8

Oraclepz
03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
He has really good hands and nice size...here is a youtube clip:

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f75/dolphins-interested-in-scott-long-270861.html

thats not a youtube clip buddy... :)

Roman529
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
thats not a youtube clip buddy... :)

Sorry....gotta work on my copy and pasting: :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RRIzV3ELG8

MrClean
03-03-2010, 04:59 AM
care to share where you're getting your info from?

www.nfldraftscout.com If you subscribe to a premium membership, a bargain at $24.95 annually, then you get access to all kind of cool information like this. :up:

MrClean
03-03-2010, 05:08 AM
I agree the 3 cone drill is very insightful. Ive tried to find Pat Turner's but no joy. Anyone know it?

Turner didn't work out at the combine last yr due to injury. Here is his pro day results, but the one thing missing is a 3 cone time, so he may not have done it,

Dates: 04/01/09
Height: 6051
Weight: 223
40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
20 Yrd Dash: 2.68
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
3-Cone Drill: