PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas ahead of Eric Berry

mandal24
03-02-2010, 01:25 AM
...according to Mike Mayock, who I find to be the best draft guru. Guy knows his stuff (everyone misses on some players)

I can realistically see Berry falling to the Fins! The guy has the range to fly all over the field and be our Ed Reed for years to come! With Dansby and Berry, we go NT and SOLB in the draft to solidify that line with Wake playing the WOLB. And go for that playmaking WR also in the draft.!

Rams- Its Suh, Mccoy, Bradford or maybe Clausen
Lions-Its Suh or Mccoy
Bucs-Slightest chance for Berry.. Suh, Mccoy, Bryant, Haden
Redskins- It MUST be Oline.. one of the worst in football and their D is actually really good
Chiefs- It should definitely be Oline. They must protect their $ guy in Cassel
Seahawks- Berrys first real chance to fall here but they need Oline help and they could go for Clausen or Bradford
Browns- Haden or Berry
Raiders - No chance
Bills - No chance
Broncos - No chance
Jaguars - Its either Bryant or Dline help. they could not get to the Qb
Dolphins- prounce on Berry!

I think if someone falls this year as someone does every year, its Berry. I dont see any word on him on NFL Network, ESPN, Internet etc as far as positive draft buzz stuff. Top 12 teams need Oline/DLine help and QBs always go early

#1dolphinsfan
03-02-2010, 01:32 AM
I think it is closer then people think between Berry and Thomas

Clipse
03-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Why do people keep posting this? For the last time, this is typical Mayock trying to be different than the rest. He does this all the time. Thomas is obviously not close to Berry, as Berry does it all and has nearly no flaws whatsoever in his game. Thomas could only dream of being as good a hitter and run defender as Berry is to go along with Berry's elite coverage skills, range, and instincts. Berry is Polamalu and Reed all in one, Thomas can only hope to be a Reed. This is coming from a huge fan of Thomas. It's just ridiculous that Mayock puts Thomas over Berry and everyone is now believing this.

MrClean
03-02-2010, 05:10 AM
I agree Berry should be ranked #1, but it close enough that I don't find it as absurd as Wes Bunting ranking Tate as the 11th WR or Thomas as the 6th FS. If one combines Bunting's FS and SS grades, Thomas would be the 10th overall safety. :(

The Sporting News has Demaryius Thomas as the #1 WR even now after his foot injury. That is another off the wall ranking I think most people would find that as absurd as Thomas as the #1 safety

j-off-her-doll
03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Why do people keep posting this? For the last time, this is typical Mayock trying to be different than the rest. He does this all the time. Thomas is obviously not close to Berry, as Berry does it all and has nearly no flaws whatsoever in his game. Thomas could only dream of being as good a hitter and run defender as Berry is to go along with Berry's elite coverage skills, range, and instincts. Berry is Polamalu and Reed all in one, Thomas can only hope to be a Reed. This is coming from a huge fan of Thomas. It's just ridiculous that Mayock puts Thomas over Berry and everyone is now believing this.

A month or two ago, I had us taking Earl Thomas. I figured Berry would be drafted high - still might be - and with the hiring of Nolan, FS became all the more important. During the time, I said E. Thomas would be just as valuable to our D as Berry would - as I gave him a slight edge in coverage/ball hawking. That was well before Mayock rated Thomas over Berry. And, it's not ridiculous. If you just want the stats on how it's not ridiculous, Berry had an amazing year at FS in '08 - with 7 INT's; Thomas had 8 INT's in '09. If you watch the tape, Thomas looks at least as good as Berry in coverage/ball hawking.

Clipse
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
A month or two ago, I had us taking Earl Thomas. I figured Berry would be drafted high - still might be - and with the hiring of Nolan, FS became all the more important. During the time, I said E. Thomas would be just as valuable to our D as Berry would - as I gave him a slight edge in coverage/ball hawking. That was well before Mayock rated Thomas over Berry. And, it's not ridiculous. If you just want the stats on how it's not ridiculous, Berry had an amazing year at FS in '08 - with 7 INT's; Thomas had 8 INT's in '09. If you watch the tape, Thomas looks at least as good as Berry in coverage/ball hawking.
Thomas would be great for us obviously. He is a ballhawk. But to say he's a better prospect than Berry is laughable at best imo.

JCfinfan
03-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I have a feeling Thomas will be taken before Berry as well. I would love for Berry to fall to us. They are both studs. I would take either at 12 and not even think twice.

j-off-her-doll
03-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Thomas would be great for us obviously. He is a ballhawk. But to say he's a better prospect than Berry is laughable at best imo.

I wouldn't say better - just different. Thomas looked smoother in the coverage drills. Berry put up the better numbers.

HurriPhin
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Earl Thomas is the best safety :up: Be sure to listen to Mayock picks #1-11 :d-day:

BERRY BERRY BERRY :woot:

miamiron
03-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Watch all 3 years of Eric Berry then come back to the discussion

Jdub561
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Eric Berry Is the BEST Player in The Draft IMHO

Ed Reed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r8q8aYIyFc

skipp2myloo13
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Eric Berry Is the BEST Player in The Draft IMHO

Did you watch Suh???

Jdub561
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Did you watch Suh???

His is 2nd best or tied I love both...

FinsFanatic777
03-03-2010, 12:13 AM
IMO, I think that Mayock ranking Thomas above Berry does more good to us because it provides us a slim chance that Berry will fall...

And I have to criticize Mayock badly on this one... Berry is clearly the better prospect. I've been following Thomas for quite a bit but it was because I had previously thought that drafting Berry was totally out of reach.

Berry was used a lot at the LOS this year, like Troy Polamalu, which explains his low INT total. However, his previous two years he was a total ballhawk, totalling 12 INT and having HUGE return yards... He's been used on offense and special teams, and was mentored by one of the NFL's greatest defensive coordinators, Monte Kiffin. He is masterful in the run and in coverage...

Thomas is a great player. A bit undersized, but explosive. However, he's only had one great year of production (albeit a great one), and everyone knows that Thomas left school early because he wanted the money (before a rookie pay cap), instead of staying in school to improve on his mechanics and possibly becoming one of the best safety prospects ever...

I would say that they are about equal in coverage... But if I had to choose one, I would still choose Berry. He's such a dynamic player and he's everywhere on the field. IMO, Berry is more of Ed Reed than Earl Thomas, but he's also a hybrid of Polamalu as well. I just hope Berry falls to us (which is still highly unlikely), but I wouldn't be dissappointed with Thomas at all.