PDA

View Full Version : Best LB nobody is talking about...

justdev7
03-02-2010, 02:24 AM
We all know how inept we were at defending the middle of the field this year. An ILB that can cover would go a long way to solving that problem and the guy that really impresses me is Jamar Chaney. He is only 6'1" 245 so he's a little undersized which is a concern against the run. But watch him against the run in the video below, he does a great job of using his arms to keep blockers off his body. He's a very natural blitzer who can rush on the outside and inside. And the most impressive thing about Chaney is his ability against the pass. Watch him against the pass in the video below, he gets depth really fast in zone and against PA in man he does an unbelievable job of changing direction and staying with his man. Oh yeah, and he ran a 4.54 40 today and got 26 reps on the bench and a 39" vert.This guy is good!!!

Jamar Chaney in coverage: (From Youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FErsTC47s&feature=related

Jamar Chaney against the run: (from Youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMZmeY-kgo&feature=related

Jamar Chaney blitzing: (from youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWuUoOzrxs&feature=related

Enjoy

#1dolphinsfan
03-02-2010, 02:58 AM
What round is he projected to go in?

MrClean
03-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Before the combine he was considered a 4th-5th rounder, but he'll move up after his combine workout, IMO.

#1dolphinsfan
03-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Before the combine he was considered a 4th-5th rounder, but he'll move up after his combine workout, IMO.
so probably the 3rd round or possbably the late second

MrClean
03-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Watching just the videos above, one could say he looks better than Spikes or McClain. Maybe this is a player who was getting overlooked a little, not playing at one of the college football powerhouses.

He was defensive MVP in the Senior Bowl. Our coaches coached him there. We'll see what happens.

justdev7
03-02-2010, 03:37 AM
I don't think he'll go until the 3rd but in the 3rd he's a steal. The job he does in coverage amazes me. And he blitzes like a 3-4 OLB

Elliott 1
03-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Ya, he is good but,"nobody is talking about"???????

He is on center stage at the combine and he has been on draft boards for years.

He has hardly flown under the radar. He has,is,and was pretty much what they said he was and would do on draftscout.com.

justdev7
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Ya, he is good but,"nobody is talking about"???????

He is on center stage at the combine and he has been on draft boards for years.

He has hardly flown under the radar. He has,is,and was pretty much what they said he was and would do on draftscout.com.

I meant that nobody on this forum was talking about him. I didn't mean nobody in the league was talking about him

justdev7
03-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Watching just the videos above, one could say he looks better than Spikes or McClain. Maybe this is a player who was getting overlooked a little, not playing at one of the college football powerhouses.

He was defensive MVP in the Senior Bowl. Our coaches coached him there. We'll see what happens.

I would say Chaney is better than Spikes and I'd say he's right up there with McClain. He's just as good of a blitzer as McClain, better in coverage, but not quite as good against the run IMO

TedSlimmJr
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I've scouted Jamar Chaney almost as much as I've scouted any linebacker in this draft.....in fact.....CK and myself had a little discussion a few weeks ago about some of the LB's that we like that don't meet the size requirements, and Chaney was one of the top guys for me...along with Mike McLaughlin....

And no....he's not as good as Rolando McClain at anything.....

ChadHenne
03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Dude, you're embarrassing yourself if you think he's better than Spikes and on par with McClain. Chaney isn't even on the same planet as these guys. He didn't show the consistancy in his career needed for me to think too highly of him. I see him long term as a backup or at best an average starter in the league. I wouldn't really look at him until the mid 5th round, and even then I see better talent for this team. I'm not talking totally down about Chaney, he just doesn't interest me as a complete prospect worth a late round pick.

cheyannefan
03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
As mentioned before, he was on the South squad for the Senior Bowl so our staff knows a lot about him. I also saw in another thread that he was one of the players that the FO interviewed at the combine. I don't think size matters as much as some people think. If the guy can play he will be on this team.

TedSlimmJr
03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
As mentioned before, he was on the South squad for the Senior Bowl so our staff knows a lot about him. I also saw in another thread that he was one of the players that the FO interviewed at the combine. I don't think size matters as much as some people think. If the guy can play he will be on this team.

It matters when you're a football "czar" and self admittedly WILL NOT sacrifice height in your linebackers....

Show me a LB Parcells or Ireland have EVER drafted that was under 6'2"...

justdev7
03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Dude, you're embarrassing yourself if you think he's better than Spikes and on par with McClain. Chaney isn't even on the same planet as these guys. He didn't show the consistancy in his career needed for me to think too highly of him. I see him long term as a backup or at best an average starter in the league. I wouldn't really look at him until the mid 5th round, and even then I see better talent for this team. I'm not talking totally down about Chaney, he just doesn't interest me as a complete prospect worth a late round pick.

I felt exactly the same way a few weeks ago. And he would make an excellent 3rd down LB but I think he can play all three downs. And I'm not that impressed with spikes and maybe it's because I'm a bulldog fan and I didn't like him trying to remove our RB's eyeballs but I think he might have discipline problems. I also think he's just flat out slow. Chaney is not better than McClain. But IMO he's better in coverage. Chaney doesn't make as many tackles for loss against the run as MCClain.

Mr. Magoo
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Really like Chaney, especially in coverage. He seems to prefer dodging blocks rather than taking them on, though, so you've got to wonder about his future in a 3-4. But he's just so smooth and fast. His ability to break down in space and mirror both in coverage and to make the tackle are effortless. Looks elite at this, really. More natural/better hips in this regard than Weatherspoon.

CANDolphan
03-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Chaney better than Spikes or McClain?

God. Damn.

justdev7
03-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Chaney better than Spikes or McClain?

God. Damn.

Again I wouldn't say that he's better than McClain because he's not. But Better in coverage from what I've seen. But I would go as far as to say that Chaney is better than Spikes.

Mr. Magoo
03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Again I wouldn't say that he's better than McClain because he's not. But Better in coverage from what I've seen. But I would go as far as to say that Chaney is better than Spikes.

Totally apples to oranges comparison. Spikes is a very physical, very smart, selfless player who's limited athletically. Chaney is a very gifted athlete who's good in coverage, good in space, but doesn't really seem to enjoy contact.

Comparisons with Chaney are better made against players like Daryl Washington and Sean Weatherspoon.

justdev7
03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Totally apples to oranges comparison. Spikes is a very physical, very smart, selfless player who's limited athletically. Chaney is a very gifted athlete who's good in coverage, good in space, but doesn't really seem to enjoy contact.

Comparisons with Chaney are better made against players like Daryl Washington and Sean Weatherspoon.

Good Point. I think Spikes has a lot in common with Channing Crowder. And that kind of player hasn't been getting it done for us. We need players that can cover the middle of the field. So I guess a better way to put it is that I feel that Chaney would be a better player for us.

justdev7
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Really like Chaney, especially in coverage. He seems to prefer dodging blocks rather than taking them on, though, so you've got to wonder about his future in a 3-4.

I think with the proper coaching he could make the transition. Taking blocks head on isn't always the best way to do things but it has its place.

CANDolphan
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Spikes is not the same player as Channing Crowder. They are about as opposite as it gets. To claim as such is lazy, lazy LAZY LAZY LAZY scouting.

Spikes is technically sound, he's a hard hitter, and he's great in coverage. Crowder is awful in coverage, and he's not a hard nose hitter for the ball. Crowder waits for the tackle than pursuing it. Spikes is the opposite.. he will miss a tackle because he goes for the guy behind the line, versus letting the guy gain 1-2 yards.

justdev7
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Spikes is not the same player as Channing Crowder. They are about as opposite as it gets. To claim as such is lazy, lazy LAZY LAZY LAZY scouting.

Spikes is technically sound, he's a hard hitter, and he's great in coverage. Crowder is awful in coverage, and he's not a hard nose hitter for the ball. Crowder waits for the tackle than pursuing it. Spikes is the opposite.. he will miss a tackle because he goes for the guy behind the line, versus letting the guy gain 1-2 yards.

Where we disagree is that you think Spikes is great in coverage. I will agree that he made plays in college and showed the ability to break on balls that shouldn't have been thrown which Crowder can't do. But What I didn't see is the ability to get depth in coverage. He has good hip fluidity but I think covering the middle of the field might be a problem for him. But maybe I haven't watched enough video of him.

cheyannefan
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
It matters when you're a football "czar" and self admittedly WILL NOT sacrifice height in your linebackers....

I think everyone on this board seems to forget that Parvells is not the one drafting. Yes, he has his input but Ireland is the GM. Also, last year everyone said "No way Parcells will draft Pat White.", but look what happened. The Dolphins drafted White.

justdev7
03-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Now that we have Dansby I think Chaney is an even better fit. Now we can address WR and FS with our first 2 picks and get Chaney in the 3rd

justdev7
03-09-2010, 05:39 AM

I just hope that Mike Nolan has some say in the draft, he doesn't worry asw much about pure size

CANDolphan
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Where we disagree is that you think Spikes is great in coverage. I will agree that he made plays in college and showed the ability to break on balls that shouldn't have been thrown which Crowder can't do. But What I didn't see is the ability to get depth in coverage. He has good hip fluidity but I think covering the middle of the field might be a problem for him. But maybe I haven't watched enough video of him.

He is beyond superb in zone coverage as an ILB, he was never asked to man cover. He lacks athletic ability of a guy like Patrick Willis, yes, but he has fluid hips and is technically sound.

He's better in coverage than McClain

justdev7
03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
He is beyond superb in zone coverage as an ILB, he was never asked to man cover. He lacks athletic ability of a guy like Patrick Willis, yes, but he has fluid hips and is technically sound.

He's better in coverage than McClain

Well regardless of how we feel about Spikes and McClain, the whole reason I made this thread was so that people would see how great Jamar Chaney. I think he's going to be a star in the league and Now that we have Dansby I think he'd be a great guy on third down for now instead of Crowder and in a year or two he'll be a starter