PDA

View Full Version : Things I think I think I know...

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry if that title sounded a little Peter King-esque but just wanted to lay out some thoughts I'm gathering based on the combine, some early roster moves and some recent comments from the Ireland interview.

1.) NT

I think we're gonna have a hell of a time filling this hole. With so many teams going to a 3-4 (including BUF picking at 9 and DEN picking at 11), we're not even a lock to get Dan Williams at 1.12.

All of the best veteran NTs (Wilfork, Franklin, Hampton, Pickett) were either franchised or will be signed to long term deals.

Maybe we can try a vet coming off injury who could be cut like the Carolina Panthers Maake Kemoeatu but that would obvioulsy be risky. He is coming off a poorly repaired achilles injury. He is only 31 and was once a great run-stuffer but counting on him would be about as risky as counting on 36 year old Jason Ferguson coming off a torn quad.

If we wait until round 2, we may not even get Mt. Cody or Cam Thomas again b/c of all the 3-4 teams needing NTs.

We could wait until round 3 for some prospects but then you're really putting all your eggs in the Ferguson/Soliai basket and just "hoping" for a mid rounder to develop.

The only other option I can think of is trading for Browns' NT Shaun Rodgers who is rumored to be on the block. He is 30 years old now and has had his own fair share of injuries but can be dominant. If we could get him for maybe a combination of Ted Ginn, Jr. (CLE needs WR help and maybe RS help too if they lose Cribbs) and a 4th round pick?

But one way or another, we simply won't have a good defense without an elite 3-4 nose.

2.) FS

I hate to say it but I think the Trio wants to stick with Gibril Wilson as our FS. They spent crazy money for him and I don't think they're willing to admit their mistake. The worst part of Wilson was that his worst plays were actually missed tackles (not so much blown coverages) which is ironic since he is supposed to be better at SS than FS.

Anyway, I know we all want a new FS and I think if somehow Eric Berry dropped to 12, then we would get one b/c the Trio could justify the investment into the position again to Ross based on BPA.

But if not for Berry slipping to 12, I think the Trio will just let Wilson and Clemmons hold down that spot. Maybe if we're lucky they land a later round pick like Gator junior FS Major Wright who might have enough talent to win a starting job.

3.) RB

I highly doubt we trade Ronnie Brown. I say this for a few reasons:

a.) The trade value of Ronnie is probably peanuts right now when you look at all of the veteran RBs out there right now for free (LT, Westbrook, Thomas Jones).

b.) The Trio probably still want to run the wildcat and Ronnie is the wildcat. I personally don't think we should use it if Henne is developing as I hope he should but none the less, I think they want Ronnie back for the wc.

c.) Ronnie can be kept this year (already under contract assuming no CBA) and then just franchised next year so we can get 2 more years out of him without signing him to a long term deal that would go into his 30s. I think that's what the trio have in mind for Ronnie; our 2010 and 2011 featured RB.

So this probably means we're not interested in CJ Spiller at 1.12 but that would also make the 12 spot a good potential trade down spot for us if some other team (like maybe HOU?) wants to trade up for Spiller.

I know we're supposedly interested in Dexter McCluster but I think that's more of a RS/WR.

4.) Karlos Dansby

The latest ESPN Insider "Rumors" has all of these teams interested in Dansby; CHI, IND, WSH, SD, KC, NYG, NE and us as well as the Cards even wanting to resign him too if they don't resign Antrel Rolle.

I really hope we get Dansby but it's certainly no given. Our owner Stephen Ross has had his own financial difficulties (as much as a billionaire can) so I'll be surprised if we spend super liberally in FA.

5.) Trading Down

Not many teams are going to want to trade into the top 10 but I think we could be in a nice spot to trade out from 12 with teams maybe wanting to come up. I can think of a few scenarios; RB-needy teams like HOU, SD, etc. wanting to come up for Spiller and/or OT-needy teams wanting to come up for Brian Bulaga or Trent Williams or Anthony Davis or Bruce Campbell (depending who slips and who teams value as a starting caliber LT as a rookie).

Example (with Spiller)...

1.) STL: Bradford
2.) DET: Suh
3.) TB: McCoy
4.) WSH: Okung (Campbell gets another year but needs OL help)
5.) KC: Bulaga (gotta protect Cassel, Brandon Albert will move inside)
6.) SEA: Clausen (tempted by Dez but Hasselbeck is getting old)
7.) CLE: Berry (he probably won't slip much further than this)
8.) OAK: Morgan (their DEs are old)
9.) BUF: A. Davis (Bills are desperate for a LT)
10.) JAX: Bryant (Holt will leave in FA, Dez will look great opposite MSW)
11.) DEN: Dan Williams (gotta have a NT to run a 3-4 D)

So that leaves McClain available to us but with Spiller still on the board too, and so much LB depth, we start fielding calls...

HOU may want to trade up and if so, that would be a 325 point jump from their pick 19th overall (worth 875 points) up to our pick 12th overall (worth 1200 points). HOU could make up that value by giving us their 2nd round pick but that would be paying a bit too much since their 2nd round pick is worth 390 points. So maybe we throw back our early 6th round pick at them. Like this...

TRADE

HOU gets MIA's 1st Round Pick #12 Overall and MIA's 6th Round Pick (6a).

MIA gets HOU's 1st Round Pick #19 Overall and HOU's 2nd Round Pick.

MOCK DRAFT (Continued)

12.) HOU: Spiller
19.) MIA: Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri
2a.) MIA: Terrence Cody NT Alabama
2b.) MIA: Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech (from HOU)
3.) MIA: Dorin Dickerson TE Pittsburgh
4.) MIA: Major Wright FS Florida
6a.) (Traded to HOU with pick 1.12 for HOU's 1st and 2nd rounders.)
6b.) MIA: Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky
6c.) MIA: Rashwan Jackson FB/RB Virgina
7a.) MIA: Joshua Moore CB Kansas State
7b.) MIA: Boris Lee LB/STs Troy

:ponder:

outlawd2u
03-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Why would Houston want to trade up to take Spiller? He was injured a lot last year and struggled but I really don't think they've given up on Steve Slaton just yet, the guy did produce as a rookie and Houston's OL is pretty bad so one could easily pass the blame to them. I just don't see Houston trading up to take a RB.

3rdandinches
03-02-2010, 03:43 PM
First off, Cleveland would never have any interest in T.Ginn. The fact is Cribbs is under contract and they are re-doing it, the fact is if Cleveland wants wr help why would they trade for Ginn?

S.Rogers would be an interesting trade and has been replaced as a starter in Cleveland.

According to your draft scenario I think teams will be offering trades for J.Haden more so then Spiller. I'd be hard pressed to think that unless we we're blown away that we would pass him up to. In this supposed passing league it would be only to our benefit to pick a kid like Haden if he falls. S.Smith could split time between CB and FS further putting pressure on Wilson to succeed.

Spoon would be a great pick up, Dorin seems interesting bring great atheletic ability to the team and flexibility to play the HB role as well. I want nothing to do with M.Williams, he has a checkered past and then for the most important day of his career he can't even bench more then a FG holder. That tells me he has no interest in the work it takes to be great, he's 6'1 220 and does 8 reps at 225. I realize BP is not the be all, end all for WR's but he's been off for a year and couldn't be bothered to workout?? No, thanks.

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Why would Houston want to trade up to take Spiller? He was injured a lot last year and struggled but I really don't think they've given up on Steve Slaton just yet, the guy did produce as a rookie and Houston's OL is pretty bad so one could easily pass the blame to them. I just don't see Houston trading up to take a RB.

They benched Slaton for the likes of Chris Brown and Ryan Moats. I think it's safe to say they're down on Slaton.

Matt Schaub/Andre Johnson/CJ Spiller would make a nice "Big 3".

But if not them, maybe someone else like the Chargers?

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
First off, Cleveland would never have any interest in T.Ginn. The fact is Cribbs is under contract and they are re-doing it, the fact is if Cleveland wants wr help why would they trade for Ginn?

S.Rogers would be an interesting trade and has been replaced as a starter in Cleveland.

According to your draft scenario I think teams will be offering trades for J.Haden more so then Spiller. I'd be hard pressed to think that unless we we're blown away that we would pass him up to. In this supposed passing league it would be only to our benefit to pick a kid like Haden if he falls. S.Smith could split time between CB and FS further putting pressure on Wilson to succeed.

Spoon would be a great pick up, Dorin seems interesting bring great atheletic ability to the team and flexibility to play the HB role as well. I want nothing to do with M.Williams, he has a checkered past and then for the most important day of his career he can't even bench more then a FG holder. That tells me he has no interest in the work it takes to be great, he's 6'1 220 and does 8 reps at 225. I realize BP is not the be all, end all for WR's but he's been off for a year and couldn't be bothered to workout?? No, thanks.

Shhhh...don't tell CLE that Ginn sucks as a WR.

And yes - in that mock, Joe Haden may be the BPA and given the importance of CB, he might be the guys that teams would trade up for (assuming we didn't take him ourselves but you're forgetting about Will Allen who should hold down one starting CB job if healthy). And I don't think Sean Smith tackles well enough to be a FS but he could play NB if we took Haden.

Reasonable concerns with Mike Williams but he still looks like he could have some WR1 upside. I don't think we'll find Demaryius Thomas still there in round 3 so I didn't know who else to target for a potential WR1. maybe grabbing Demaryius instead of Dorrin Dickerson in round 2 would've been better?

I'll change up my mock for Demaryius at 2b and Dorrin Dickerson in the 3rd but I'm sure some will say those guys won't drop that far...

3rdandinches
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Shhhh...don't tell CLE that Ginn sucks as a WR.

And yes - in that mock, Joe Haden may be the BPA and given the importance of CB, he might be the guys that teams would trade up for (assuming we didn't take him ourselves but you're forgetting about Will Allen who should hold down one starting CB job if healthy). And I don't think Sean Smith tackles well enough to be a FS but he could play NB if we took Haden.

Reasonable concerns with Mike Williams but he still looks like he could have some WR1 upside. I don't think we'll find Demaryius Thomas still there in round 3 so I didn't know who else to target for a potential WR1. maybe grabbing Demaryius instead of Dorrin Dickerson in round 2 would've been better?

I'll change up my mock for Demaryius at 2b and Dorrin Dickerson in the 3rd but I'm sure some will say those guys won't drop that far...

I think S.Smith would be fine, of course he's not a thumber and never will be but he can cover and we need that at FS.

I really hope D.Thomas is our pick if we go WR at all.