PDA

View Full Version : Dan Williams NT Tenn. @ #12?

gdiaz0358
03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
The closer and closer the draft gets, the more and more I see us taking NT Dan Williams with our 1st pick. I know hes not the prettiest of picks, or the BPA but we are in such need of a NT and he might be the best 3-4 NT in the draft. Granted SUh and Mccoy are the best DTs, Willams is the best NT IMO. Mcclain's stock is falling and Bryant might not be available when we pick. All i am hearing about Williams are GREAT things and he had a very solid Senior Bowl. The NT has become one of the hardest postions to fill with 16 out of 32 teams possibily moving to the 3-4 def in 2010 and if we cant provide our weak LBs with a solid NT our def will struggle for years to come. I see the possibility of this getting better if we sign Dansby and or Rolle.

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree but the problem is that I think BUF and/or DEN may also agree that Dan Williams is the best way to go to fill the NT hole for their 3-4 Ds too.

Don't be surprised to see Dan Williams go at 9 to BUF if Clausen and the best OTs are already off the board, or to see him go to DEN at 11 if Dez Bryant is already off the board. I could see Dez going one pick before to JAX and then DEN snagging Dan Williams one pick before us. Doh!

j-off-her-doll
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Hope not. I don't dislike Williams. I just see better players available at the position.

outlawd2u
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
If he isn't the BPA then I sure hope not.

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Hope not. I don't dislike Williams. I just see better players available at the position.

Who do you think is a better NT in this draft? I think the only guy who you could maybe say is better would be Mt. Cody - as long as you're okay with a 2-down only player.

Dan Williams and Cam Thomas played balls-out in the Senior Bowl but Cody was probably better in real games all year long. Cody is just an offseason/combine disaster when you're looking at guys in their underwear but the boy can sure as hell take up double teams.

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Btw, if Jason Ferguson can't pass his physical to get resigned (not a given considering a 36 year old coming off a torn quad), and considering Soliai's less than spectacular play, and Tony McDaniel spending his offseason beating up on women, and IF we're going to move Merling to SOLB, then we might even want to consider....

Round 1.) Dan Williams
Round 2.) Mt. Cody

Now those two combined should be able to stuff the run!:hi5:

Williams could even rotate with Starks and Langford at DE with Cody playing running downs at the nose.

Again, this would just be assuming we couldn't bring back Ferg and Merling was being moved to SOLB.

j-off-her-doll
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Who do you think is a better NT in this draft? I think the only guy who you could maybe say is better would be Mt. Cody - as long as you're okay with a 2-down only player.

Dan Williams and Cam Thomas played balls-out in the Senior Bowl but Cody was probably better in real games all year long. Cody is just an offseason/combine disaster when you're looking at guys in their underwear but the boy can sure as hell take up double teams.

I meant at the draft position.

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I meant at the draft position.

Well sure - at 12 I'm sure you'll be able to argue that guys like Spiller or Earl Thomas or McClain or maybe JPP or one of the other OLBs du jour might be higher rated BPAs but...

...those dude can't play the nose in a 3-4 and we will just be dead in the water if we don't have our nose.

Basically, running this 3-4 is making things very, very difficult for us. We don't have a nose and our LB core is the weakest unit of our entire team. Frankly, we're crazy for trying to run a 3-4.

If we would just go to a 4-3, we'd be much better off....

DE Taylor/Wake
DT Starks/McDaniel
DT Soliai/Ferguson/Dotson
DE Langford/Merling

OLB Crowder
ILB ?
OLB ?

Sure, we'd still have LB holes to fill but at least we wouldn't also be shopping for the elusive NT.

3rdandinches
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
The FO seems to like their NT's in the late rounds and we really don't know how they truely feel about P.Solai. I think we're more inclined to pick one in the 3rd/4th then in the first two rounds.

Astrosback
03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
The FO seems to like their NT's in the late rounds and we really don't know how they truely feel about P.Solai. I think we're more inclined to pick one in the 3rd/4th then in the first two rounds.

I think we're begging for trouble if we run the 3-4 D with a combination of Soliai, a 36 year old NT coming off a torn quad and some mid-round hopeful nose.

Our two opponents in our division, the Jets and Pats both have great OLs and the Jets have a nasty, punishing young RB in Shonn Greene. The Pats will probably be adding a new RB. We need to be ready to stop the run and I don't see how we do that without seriously addressing the NT hole.

skipp2myloo13
03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Im really feeling 1. E Thomas 2. Cam Thomas 3. best SOLB.

Aqua and Orange
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree that Dan Williams is making more and more sense as the time draws near. I think if we whiff on Dansby we will have to look at LB with that first pick, so a lot depends on what happens there.

BARF
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
if dan williams is gone, i say we still trade down pick up another draft pick, i say we get graham

defiant
03-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't like the pick. One dimensional player. Run stuffer, no pass rush. He doesn't play every down, he doesn't deserve to be picked 12th overall.

skipp2myloo13
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
There is no trading down. People dont understand how hard that is.

NRA
03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
why is he the "best" nose tackle?

seen him play any nt?

he is a PROSPECT at nt. a conversion. somtimes that works,
most times it doesnt. we have a whole slew of dt's on our
roster who cant play the nose.

in this draft, with the #12 pic, we can NOT take a PROSPECT
at ANY position. better to wait on a guy like cody who IS a
true nose and has played the position for years. fat? yes. but
strong as an ox on steroids? yes!! he did 44 reps on the bench
at the combine. he is a TRUE un movable force. and he LOST
weight coming into the combine, thats a good sign, shows he is
serious about his career.

or take cam later on. if your going to try and make a conversion,
take a guy later in the draft, not at #12.

but, you know what? this is exactly the type of move the dolphins
of the last 10 years would make. i see this happening. not what
i want, not at all, but i see them doing it.

he will be there, no doubt. unless someone thinks he is worth it as
a DE in a 4-3 and have him rated as such in there top 12. but i see him
sitting there at #12.

this is what i hope DOESNT happen. williams or mcclain at #12 are all
wrong.

foozool13
03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
While I understand your thinking in this matter about our need at NT. I don't see us doing in the 1st round. Parcells has had GREAT sucess finding NT in the late rounds such as Jay Ratliff - NT -Cowboys - 7th round or even our own Jason Ferguson - 7th round. While I don't think he will wait until the 7th round to find one...I do not think that he will pick one in round #1 mainly because DT is probably the deepest position in the draft and one can be had in round 2 or 3. My guess is Cam Thomas in round 2 or 3.

PhinsTD
03-02-2010, 10:15 PM
After watching Williams struggle to move, and his inconsistent motor, I've moved off of Williams.

I'm in favor of waiting until 4 or later for a NT. There are a ton of prospects to look at with our 6th rounders this year.

hooshoops
03-03-2010, 12:03 AM
"struggle to move"???

williams has better lateral movement than any nose prospect in this draft...

if there's an issue it's that he doesn't bring much pass rush but there's upside there...

he's top 20 worthy all the way to me...

gdiaz0358
03-03-2010, 12:08 AM
As much as I would love to "wait" until the later rouds to take a NT u all fail to realize there will be teams like buffalo, seattle, denver and chargers (nt jamal williams is old) looking for NT. We can't afford to go into next season with solai and a back up as our nts. Furgy is not a sure thing and with our poor play at lb we need a stud. Granted williams might not be a stud he shows a lot of promise. I'm one of the fans here looking for an olb or ilb in rd 1 masybe even spiller if available but need for a nt is huge right now. Even if we get dansby and rolle some how our def will be horrible at stopping the run and pass rush. U guys do realize as of right now our lbs are wake(never started at olb before), akin, crowder, and from the looks charlie anderson. Fml!

hooshoops
03-03-2010, 12:10 AM
top 4 nose prospects...

williams
cody
thomas
troup

we need to get one of them...

i'd like to hear what people think of the kid linvale i believe his name is....thoughts???

rev kev
03-03-2010, 12:10 AM
why is he the "best" nose tackle?

seen him play any nt?

he is a PROSPECT at nt. a conversion. somtimes that works,
most times it doesnt. we have a whole slew of dt's on our
roster who cant play the nose.

in this draft, with the #12 pic, we can NOT take a PROSPECT
at ANY position. better to wait on a guy like cody who IS a
true nose and has played the position for years. fat? yes. but
strong as an ox on steroids? yes!! he did 44 reps on the bench
at the combine. he is a TRUE un movable force. and he LOST
weight coming into the combine, thats a good sign, shows he is
serious about his career.

or take cam later on. if your going to try and make a conversion,
take a guy later in the draft, not at #12.

but, you know what? this is exactly the type of move the dolphins
of the last 10 years would make. i see this happening. not what
i want, not at all, but i see them doing it.

he will be there, no doubt. unless someone thinks he is worth it as
a DE in a 4-3 and have him rated as such in there top 12. but i see him
sitting there at #12.

this is what i hope DOESNT happen. williams or mcclain at #12 are all
wrong.

Two wrongs

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-03-2010, 12:33 AM
This defense has ALOT of needs. Regardless of who Miami takes at #12, glaring holes will still be glaring... whether it's NT, ILB, or Safety.

PhinsTD
03-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Hooshoops when I watch Williams I didn't see him move that well. We all think we know what we're talking about, but it's important to respect rveryones opinion and not act like we know more than we do.

I agree with you that Williams is the best NT prospect in the draft, but I wouldn't spend the 12 on him. Maybe if we somehow moved back.

hooshoops
03-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Hooshoops when I watch Williams I didn't see him move that well. We all think we know what we're talking about, but it's important to respect rveryones opinion and not act like we know more than we do.

I agree with you that Williams is the best NT prospect in the draft, but I wouldn't spend the 12 on him. Maybe if we somehow moved back.

dude what are you talking about...i've watched plenty of dan williams tape...he moves laterally well...i don't agree with your assessment...i don't see disagreeing with your opinion as showing a lack of respect...i'm not acting like anything...in fact that's one of the first times i've heard that dan williams doesn't move laterally well...

you think on tape that cam thomas or terrence cody move better down the los than dan williams??? cause i sure don't see that on tape...

and as for williams value i said he's worth a top 20 pick to me...i didn't say pick #12

uga3406
03-03-2010, 12:49 AM

I like that ideal too. I rather move back to draft him. Just not at 12. If Ferguson is coming back and Solali is still here, no need to draft him at 12, JMHO.

hooshoops
03-03-2010, 12:52 AM
i wouldn't count on soon to be i think 36 year old fergie...heck he won't even be done rehabbing his thigh injury til like june...

i doubt he's been able to do any strength and conditioning serious work with his legs so at best case i think he might be ready week 1 but i doubt he'd get thru half the season again healthy...

i'd rather try and get younger if the value presents itself in the draft...if not maybe see if fergie wants to come back

Mr. Magoo
03-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Ferguson's not going to come back as the starter. I think we can all agree on that. But I could see Soliai starting and Ferguson spelling him. Sort of the opposite of last year.

Not the ideal solution I agree. But I think we have bigger needs right now than NT.

etsudolfan
03-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Dan Williams was hands down the best DT in the SEC last season...better than Cody...you can bank on that

NRA
03-05-2010, 02:17 AM
so, folks want to draft a guy who has NEVER played NT and could
only muster up 22 reps on the bench at the combine?

this is who they want to anchor our 3-4 line and spend the #12
over all on? guy cant push a bar bell, how is he going to hold
up double team pro linemen play in and play out?

wow.

NRA
03-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Dan Williams was hands down the best DT in the SEC last season...better than Cody

dan williams was NOT playing NT. terrance cody was playing NT.

cody IS a true nose. at this point, all dan williams is is a prospect
to convert and then HOPE he can play the position.

terrance cody was a full time NT who dominanted at the position.

you dont spend a #12 over all on a MAYBE type player.

sorry, no comparison there. expecially after williams only did
22 reps at the combine. wr's were stronger than him!

that doesnt yell nfl NT to me.

finfan54
03-07-2010, 06:07 PM
There is no trading down. People dont understand how hard that is.

True dat.
You need a player to fall that covets a teams real desires.

Dez Bryant? Not really wowing in the character dept.
Spillar? We would have to really start talkin this guy up along with another team just gaga over him. Lots of good RB's that other lower teams already like as well. Thats the problem with deep positions early.

Eric Berry would have to fall to us and then we would have to want to pass him up (or the two top DT's). We know that aint happnin.