PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes in the 2nd

defiant
03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I get it, he's not the fastest player in the world. The guy plays with attitude, and he's smart. I think we're to the point where he is getting undervalued, hope we look for him in the 2nd.

Here is some of what SB Nation's Mocking The Draft (http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/1/1229917/brandon-spikes-nfl-draft-scouting) said about Spikes.
The read and react skills for Spikes are stellar. He processes a play quickly and has the football intelligence to know where the play is going to develop. This helps him overcome a small lack of athleticism and agility. Does a really nice job of managing a defense and will be able to do so in the NFL.
What keeps Spikes from being an elite linebacker prospect is a lack of athleticism. He doesn't have those quick-twitch movements you like to see in premier players.
He's a heady middle linebacker who can lead a defense and be a coach on the field. He's a student of the game and it shows in his excellent recognition skills.

Spikes is a versatile linebacker who could handle playing in a 4-3 or a 3-4. His strength and intelligence should make him an immediate starter at the next level.
Here is a little bit of what ESPN says in its analysis of Spikes (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24883).
One of the most instinctive defenders in college football today. Recognition skills continue to improve. Finds the ball quickly and has playmaking flair. ...
Plays the game with a chip on his shoulder and shows the ferocious attitude teams are looking for in an ILB/MLB. ...
Top-end speed is not great but it is adequate for his position. He's quicker than fast and generally covers more ground than his 40-time indicates. ...
Displays better closing burst to the ball carrier than his timed speed might indicate.

defiant
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Strengths: Great production since sophomore year
Big-time hitter
Prototype size and strength
Always around the ball; active
Explosive athlete
Diagnoses run well
Disengages from blockers
Aggressive
Comfortable in space
Good pursuit
Physical
Good vision and can locate ball-carrier
Durable
High upside

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/37536-1.gif (http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/ammPRo2arRoaFBYUBfTdBPmPQBmcrrptrJ3TQj5HIq3ABZbmFrZb0Gr0YGvU1Gfpnqn43FYPTrJEUAvTPTbYSc3pSHjr1W7pT63v4sY4YUvLUPip56raRmJC3HMO1tUKmdey3mU15cbgmC2HmDAGrnXwrRZaMm7jxuQJRoPQRs62LnP2htRjC2GaCeHXDdF/http://a.tribalfusion.com) http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/getmediasid43988m6tp8dsc1-1.jpg (http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?sid=43988&m=6&c=1)
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Weaknesses: Doesn't always take proper angles
Hips could be more fluid; a little stiff
Looks somewhat awkward in zone coverage vs. pass
Lacks really impressive speed
Occasionally out of position
Good aggression, but sometimes does too much (overpursues, goes for big hit)

TedSlimmJr
03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
2nd round is still too early IMO......3rd round is where I would start looking at a guy like Spikes...

The Furminister
03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I wouldnt cry if we got a quality insider in the second round.

LikeUntoGod
03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
3rd round is a no brainer. He will knock running backs out behind the LOS.

skipp2myloo13
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I would rather pay DAnsby and phil other positions of need in the draft, 2nd is too early for me as well with Spikes.

hooshoops
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
he's 3rd-4th round value for me...depending on what's on the board in the 3rd

definitely not in consideration for the 2nd round pick

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah but we need to make sure we get a DT than can play well if not then gotta go with one there...

newlownorder
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
he's 3rd-4th round value for me...depending on what's on the board in the 3rd

definitely not in consideration for the 2nd round pick

he reminds me of another gator who was supposed to go in the late 1st, early 2nd round of the draft but fell to the 3rd....what was his name? oh yeah, channing crowder. I would take him in round 3, not 2.

hooshoops
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
he reminds me of another gator who was supposed to go in the late 1st, early 2nd round of the draft but fell to the 3rd....what was his name? oh yeah, channing crowder. I would take him in round 3, not 2.

really depends what was still on the board but guys that i like more right now at the pick #74 range include jason worilds (shoulder), cam thomas, taylor price (top 5 wr on my board) nate allen (does he drop with no workout today) etc

they all come before brandon spikes for me

Mr. Magoo
03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
And don't forget, another Gator MLB, Brandon Siler, ended up going in the 7th round over speed concerns (think he ran like a 4.9). Crowder at least ran a 4.75. Now Spikes is a much better prospect than Siler, but a 4.8+ time probably takes him off the board for just about every 4-3 team. Makes a drop much more likely. I wouldn't be that surprised if he slid into the 4th.

hooshoops
03-03-2010, 12:06 AM
and ali highsmith who was undersized and overrated mind you behind that lsu defensive front ran a like 5 second 40 and went undrafted...

CANDolphan
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
And don't forget, another Gator MLB, Brandon Siler, ended up going in the 7th round over speed concerns (think he ran like a 4.9). Crowder at least ran a 4.75. Now Spikes is a much better prospect than Siler, but a 4.8+ time probably takes him off the board for just about every 4-3 team. Makes a drop much more likely. I wouldn't be that surprised if he slid into the 4th.

Uh, no. Siler blew out his knee at his pro day, so he was drafted in the 7th by the Chargers. He now starts and apparently it doing pretty damn well

RustyGator
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Ugh, God. More people comparing Spikes to Crowder! Stop being so lazy, people! Spikes is, and always will have, more talent and potential than Crowder. While Crowder was a STEAL where the Dolphins picked him up, to say that Spikes is a 3rd rounder is absurd. Look at some freakin film and tell me this guy is a 3rd rounder. He'll be a great, great value pick with an early 2nd. People were talking about him going early 1st a month ago...now you want to put him into the 3rd and 4th?? Because he didn't run the 40? Wow. That's just crazy nutz.

LikeUntoGod
03-03-2010, 09:48 AM
I also do not see him falling to the 3rd but the draft is a crazy thing. I do know that the Gators did not have a very good DL this year and Spikes controlled the LOS. He did not have near the defense around him that McClain did.

Ask SEC backs like Knowshon Moreno if Spikes can hit you and make plays. Comparing him to Crowder is just silly.

This is not a great year for ILB's and Spikes should not last all that long.

JCfinfan
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Im thinking we can get him in the 3rd.

j-off-her-doll
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
If you'd consider McClain in the 2nd - think most would - don't know why you wouldn't consider Spikes. I'd wait to see if I could get him in the 3rd, but I'd consider him there.

CANDolphan
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
.. Spikes in the 3rd and McClain in the 2nd..

**** maybe we'll skip Berry when he falls to 12th overall ( In favor of Suh, of course ) and we can grab Patrick Robinson in the 5th and to call it a day we can grab Spiller in the 6th.

flynryan15
03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Do we really need to take another Gator LB that is AKWARD in pass coverage?

HurriPhin
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Spikes? No thanks. I'd rather gouge my eyes out.

CANDolphan
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Do we really need to take another Gator LB that is AKWARD in pass coverage?

This is like saying Jake Long is awkward in run blocking.

Spikes is great in coverage.

Im starting to think 99% of the people in the draft forum are shills for FinHeaven, because Im seriously blown away by how backwards the opinions of people are. I know that the VIP section is much much better ( ie people who actually know what to look for ) so Im this close to joining

HurriPhin
03-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Im starting to think 99% of the people in the draft forum are shills for FinHeaven, because Im seriously blown away by how backwards the opinions of people are. I know that the VIP section is much much better ( ie people who actually know what to look for ) so Im this close to joining

:bye:

Avigatorx
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Lots of Gator Haters here bro, just try to ignore them.

RustyGator
03-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Spikes? No thanks. I'd rather gouge my eyes out.

Yeah, the Gator haters here are always out in masses. Especially this guy. Seriously, Hurri, you've said the same joke quite a bit now. Time to retire it and get over yourself.

And ya'll are crazy if you think Spikes is dropping to the 3rd.