PDA

View Full Version : Interesting....I never thought of it that way....

MiamiDolfan85
03-03-2010, 03:16 AM
We all know who did,and didn't perform at the combine.Which includes potential 1st pick Rolando McClain.Usually,you use the measurables,along with the tapes and imagination to make your picks in the first round,aswell as the restof the draft.

Now,Miami has the tapes,but dont have the measurables,which is where the bolder starts to tumble.If there are no measurables,its going to be pretty hard to have a set image for your would-be defense.I really dont think McClain knows how much he might of hurt himself by not even doing a few workouts,let alone run the 40.

Now,the Alabama 'backer's Pro Day is on March 10th.However,just 5 days prior,is the start of the new football year.Why am I saying all this?

By not having supposed information now,Miami is going to be put in a difficult decision.Whether they like McClain or not,he(Rolando) hasnt really given Miami a lot to work with(especially compared to the 'backers that did).

Karlos Dansby has been linked to Miami,dating back to the last off-season,and Im sure everyones seen the role playing thats been taking place over the past month.Miami is believed to be one of the top pursuers of Dansby.

This article:
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/03/02/rolando-mcclains-choice-not-to-run-has-to-disappoint-dolphins/

points this out,and made me think about how having unknowns about McClain could influence just how hard Miami will pursue McClain.

The big question entering the Combine was McClain’s 40 time. He predicted when he spoke to the media Friday that he would run a 4.5; draft expert Tony Pauline of Sports Illustrated had previously predicted he would run in the 4.85 range. Big difference - perhaps the difference between being able to track down a running back before he turns the corner and having him run by you.

So what does this mean to the Dolphins?

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/rolandomcclainalabamafootballdolphins221-1.jpg (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/files/2010/03/rolando-mcclain-alabama-football-dolphins.jpg) NFL teams won't get a measure of Rolando McClain's speed at this year's combine. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

If Miami’s decision in addressing linebacker help comes down to a rookie such as McClain or Texas’ Sergio Kindle and a veteran such as Karlos Dansby, it’s a little less information to add to the debate. Basically, having to wait until March 10 to know what McClain is going to run means they’ll have to make a decision on Dansby without that information.

For me,the affection I felt for McClain deminished some when he decided not to workout,which leads questions to whether he really has the presumed numbers,or if he had something to hide.....

Thumper1016
03-03-2010, 03:29 AM
You know for a while there I really was pulling for this Kid to be our pick at 12, but now I think no. His choosing not perform has me wondering as well.

3rdandinches
03-03-2010, 08:20 AM
So if he is injured he should perform at a below level and then what happens to his stock?

He will do everything the FO wants when he's invited to our house to show his wares. If his skipping the combine is what your using to determine that he now is not worthy of the selection at 12 then something is seriousily wrong with how you decide which players are best for us. His college resume should be more then enough to let you know that he is more then worthy of the 12th pick.

Between his pro day and individual workouts there should be ample information to fill in the blanks.

Orlando Fan
03-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I consider it a non issue, go after Dansby, if Mcclain is the target at #12 let the questions be answered on March 10th. I think regardless if they want McClain or not it should not change the Fin's plans to go after Dansby.

j-off-her-doll
03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
It's an issue because there are major questions in regard to his athleticism. He looks slow - or "extremely patient." I don't think he's athletic enough to be a 3-down LB or even a very good 2-down LB.

MiamiDolfan85
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
So if he is injured he should perform at a below level and then what happens to his stock?

He will do everything the FO wants when he's invited to our house to show his wares. If his skipping the combine is what your using to determine that he now is not worthy of the selection at 12 then something is seriousily wrong with how you decide which players are best for us. His college resume should be more then enough to let you know that he is more then worthy of the 12th pick.

Between his pro day and individual workouts there should be ample information to fill in the blanks.
when was Rolando ever hurt?

numerous reports are that Rolando received a call from his agent,and Rolando told him he wasnt ready,and his agent advised Rolando to wait until his Pro Day to perform.

Danny
03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't believe that we're taking him anyway.I think our FO will try to move down and take Dan Williams plus get an extra pick in round 2 or 3 and then take a LB there.I actually believe that we will draft an OLB in round 2 along with a WR/or RB if we get an extra pick from moving down...just my opinion.

Ozzy rules!!