PDA

View Full Version : Chris Shashaty:Dolphins Would be Wise to Draft Rolle

DKphin
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I have to disagree with Chris on this one. He and Curt Fennel run the oldest Phin board on the web and I respect them, but I have to take exception to this article. In the article he cites remarks made by Mickey Andrews. What is Mickey going to say, "I hate a player that played for me?" I am not saying that Rolle is a bad player, but people get far too carried away with this Rhodes Scholar crap. Jeavon Kearse came from UF and had a long and productive career in the NFL. He is far from a mental giant.
Rolle is a good player, but separate his mental ability from how he plays the game. Maybe I should reword that last statement, but you know what I mean.
I don't know what round Florida State safety Myron Rolle will be drafted in, nor which team will take him. Neither does anyone else. What I do know is that the team that picks him will be getting a terrific all-around player.

It's not very often that superior physical and mental skills come together in one person. When that happens, you might get a Rhodes scholar or an All-American. Or, in Rolle’s case, both.

Rare stuff indeed.

A highly regarded college and pro prospect, Rolle very wisely decided to bypass the 2009 NFL Draft in order to accept an invitation to study for a year at Oxford. His post-football ambition is to one day become a neurosurgeon. But now that he is back from his year of matriculation in England, he is focused on pursuing a long and successful NFL career.

The Miami Dolphins crave players like Rolle, guys who have what they call "the make-up" (toughness, discipline, intelligence). They also happen to like players with prototypical size (Rolle is 6-2, 215) and skills for their position.

All of this is great stuff, but only when it translates into on-field productivity. During his three years at FSU (he actually graduated in two and a half years), Rolle turned in performances that left legendary defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews gushing. Understand, Andrews wasn’t effusive in praising his players publicly. So it’s quite a compliment to Rolle when, in 2008, Andrews lauded him for turning in “the best and most complete game he has ever seen a safety play at Florida State University in his 25 years of coaching”.
http://www.phins.com/chris/column_030410.html

#1dolphinsfan
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Myron Rolle in Miami at all

j-off-her-doll
03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't draft Rolle before the 6th. He's a SS. We have enough SS's. And, he doesn't make big plays. And, he's not a great athlete. He's a good athlete - but nothing special.

ry-dbar
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
It could just be that I am buying into the hype surrounding this guy, but I would like to see him in Miami. 5th round would be the earliest though.

j-off-her-doll
03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
It could just be that I am buying into the hype surrounding this guy, but I would like to see him in Miami. 5th round would be the earliest though.

That's about the value I'd put on him. But, we don't have a 5th. I think he'll be a solid player.

ckparrothead
03-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Strangely enough I consider Rolle to be similar to Ricky Williams, mentally. Nobody ever said that football players need to be geniuses, and there's never been any rule that the better person you are, the smarter you are, the more well-adjusted you are, the better football player you will be. I question his commitment to football. The fact of the matter is, there are (and rightfully so) other things in his life that are just as important to him and maybe more. I don't need my football players to be good people. In fact, some of my best football players would be borderline psychotic. I need football players that love the game and think it's the only thing they have in their lives. I need football players that aren't thinking about being neurosurgeons. I need football players that won't second guess the wisdom of my football coaches when they make football decisions and give football coaching.

What I'm trying to say is...his being as smart as he is, isn't a huge positive or source of value in and of itself. It's only as valuable as his production on the field. And that has been pretty spotty in his career. As one scout told Daniel Jeremiah, going to Oxford was the best thing Myron could have done, not because it expanded his mind or anything like that, but because it let everyone forget what a lackluster football player he looked like at times during his FSU career.

He didn't have a strong week of Senior Bowl practices. His Senior Bowl game was pretty bad, truth be told. And, he showed up to Indy and belted out a 4.69 which I don't think is going to particularly impress anyone.

j-off-her-doll
03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Strangely enough I consider Rolle to be similar to Ricky Williams, mentally. Nobody ever said that football players need to be geniuses, and there's never been any rule that the better person you are, the smarter you are, the more well-adjusted you are, the better football player you will be. I question his commitment to football. The fact of the matter is, there are (and rightfully so) other things in his life that are just as important to him and maybe more. I don't need my football players to be good people. In fact, some of my best football players would be borderline psychotic. I need football players that love the game and think it's the only thing they have in their lives. I need football players that aren't thinking about being neurosurgeons. I need football players that won't second guess the wisdom of my football coaches when they make football decisions and give football coaching.

What I'm trying to say is...his being as smart as he is, isn't a huge positive or source of value in and of itself. It's only as valuable as his production on the field. And that has been pretty spotty in his career. As one scout told Daniel Jeremiah, going to Oxford was the best thing Myron could have done, not because it expanded his mind or anything like that, but because it let everyone forget what a lackluster football player he looked like at times during his FSU career.

He didn't have a strong week of Senior Bowl practices. His Senior Bowl game was pretty bad, truth be told. And, he showed up to Indy and belted out a 4.69 which I don't think is going to particularly impress anyone.

Michael Jordan is a terrible person and - now that his career is over - pretty depressing. But, every coach wishes he could fills his roster with players that have his type of mentality.

foozool13
03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
A reach at #43, Good value in round 3, EXCELLENT value in round 4 (but dont think he falls that far)

hooshoops
03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
he wasn't impressive at flo st 2 years ago...and that 4.7 40 didn't help change anything for me...

pass

Mr. Magoo
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, and you've got to wonder the first time he gets a stinger and loses feeling in one of his hands whether he's going to start reevaluating his priorities. I mean, football is a rough game and usually leads to long-term permanent injuries. Neurosurgery is his long time goal, a lifetime profession, and can be at least as profitable. But you can't do it with fingers like Brian Baldinger.

http://www.allanstanglin.com/wp-content/uploads/brianbaldingerfinger.jpg

bigchub22
03-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Even as an FSU fan this is a big PASS for me he was nothing special in college so what makes anyone think he will be a better pro...no thank you