PDA

View Full Version : Chris Clemons, Mike Nolan and the FS Situation

Mr. Magoo
03-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Sounds like the name of a really awful band, I know, but I wanted to open a discussion of the FS situation in Miami, and how Mike Nolan's arrival affects both current players on the roster and players we might be thinking of adding.

My admittedly superficial reading of the situation is that Nolan seems to prefer true coverage safeties than box SS players like Wilson and Bell. Not sure if he goes with a traditional FS/SS model or more of a FS/FS model it seems some teams are moving to. Don't really know enough for that kind of evaluation.

Either way, it looks like we'll be seeing more of Tyrone Culver, who seems pretty fluid but undersized ala Renaldo Hill. Not sure about Clemons, though. Many here have a lot of faith in him, but despite his 4.33 speed he strikes me as more as a stiff-hipped, straight-line run stopper than someone who would excel as a coverage safety. Actually reminds me of a young Bell, only without the instincts. Not sure what Nolan's history would project him as. With Brian Dawkins manning the FS spot in Denver, maybe we're looking at Bell as a FS?

As far as the draft, this would seem to make guys like Earl Thomas, Nate Allen and Morgan Burnett more likely candidates than hard-hitting types such as Chad Jones, Larry Asante, etc. Not sure what to think about Kam Chancellor, though. Need to study up more on him. But my sense is he's a man-free FS from another era.

So yeah, I've only got pieces of the puzzle here. I'm not even sure what the picture looks like.

Elliott 1
03-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I think Nolan might like Vontae Davis at FS. Might as well get the talent on the field.

If Will Allen is back and healthy that means we already have a glut of talent at CB.

Jason Allen would probably compete with a draft pick for the nickel. Culver plays the dime, or has in the past.

CedarPhin
03-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Will Allen is probably going to play the nickel.

MrClean
03-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Draft Earl Thomas and FS is set for ten years.

skipp2myloo13
03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Thomas is one of those players we will say "how did he drop to us" for years and years. He reminds me of Ed Reed.

Mr. Magoo
03-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Well, Gibril's release certainly changes things. If Rolle signed, that would be the end of that at FS. Would the safeties we'd be targeting in the draft now be more box type safeties, ala future replacements for Bell? Or would be still be targeting him as a part-time nickle corner with other safeties playing deep in obvious passing situations?

Clipse
03-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Just sign Atogwe and end it already :hump:

Mr. Magoo
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Will Rolle gone, it seems to come down to Atogwe and Clark in FA, with a possibility of Ken Hamlin if he's released (not a big fan of his, though).

There's more options available at this position right now, though, than at OLB, which might affect their plans.

j-off-her-doll
03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
We'll pick up either a NT or FS before the draft.

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
the rams are letting other teams do their work on the atogwe front...basically let him go out and get an offer and then just match...

sure looks like we are trying to fill the free safety position outside the draft...that's part of the reason i don't think that earl thomas is in play with pick #12...i think the front office also knows that the odds that eric berry makes it to #12 are slim to none...

my guess is with pick #12 that we are looking olb , wr or maybe nose thus i see barring a trade down derrick morgan, brandon graham, dez bryant, everson griffen, and maybe dan williams in play...

i read reports that everson griffen was excellent in the combine workouts but was just ok in team interviews...

another name that i think people are really sleeping on is jerry hughes...

for my eyes olb and nose are deeper than wr in this draft thus i still think we should take dez bryant at #12 if he is on the board...i'm just not all that impressed with the wr class unlike the olbs and we can get a nose a little later who can play...

j-off-her-doll
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
the rams are letting other teams do their work on the atogwe front...basically let him go out and get an offer and then just match...

sure looks like we are trying to fill the free safety position outside the draft...that's part of the reason i don't think that earl thomas is in play with pick #12...i think the front office also knows that the odds that eric berry makes it to #12 are slim to none...

my guess is with pick #12 that we are looking olb , wr or maybe nose thus i see barring a trade down derrick morgan, brandon graham, dez bryant, everson griffen, and maybe dan williams in play...

i read reports that everson griffen was excellent in the combine workouts but was just ok in team interviews...

another name that i think people are really sleeping on is jerry hughes...

for my eyes olb and nose are deeper than wr in this draft thus i still think we should take dez bryant at #12 if he is on the board...i'm just not all that impressed with the wr class unlike the olbs and we can get a nose a little later who can play...

Don't think Dez will be there, but if he is, you almost have to take him.

But, I commented mainly to say that I think J. Hughes might be the best OLB in the draft. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at #12. Most people concede that he's the best pass rusher; he quietly had one of the best combines (coverage drills, 40 time, bench, etc) of any player; and he's 5 lbs heavier Kindle and lifted and ran better than Kindle.

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Don't think Dez will be there, but if he is, you almost have to take him.

But, I commented mainly to say that I think J. Hughes might be the best OLB in the draft. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at #12. Most people concede that he's the best pass rusher; he quietly had one of the best combines (coverage drills, 40 time, bench, etc) of any player; and he's 5 lbs heavier Kindle and lifted and ran better than Kindle.

the thing about hughes is the motor runs hot and cold...you'll see entire drives where he seems to be going thru the motions...but then he'll show you some jaw dropping stuff off the edge and run people down from behind and it leaves you thinking just imagine if this guys motor was always running...but what he does have better than any of these other olb prospects imo and just above griffen is EXCEPTIONAL awareness...and that cannot be understated

hughes also i knew just watching him on tape was gonna look great as a standup player in drills...i said all along he looked the most natural in that role and he absolutely rocked the combine in lb drills...wonderful feet and change of direction... it's a outright mistake to ask this guy to play 4-3 end...he's got 3-4 olb written all over him...

graham has that motor that you just love...full bore all the time he's a playmaker his arms are longer than we all originally thought he ran pretty well i've seen him make a few plays on his feet doesn't look bad to me as a standup guy when i have seen it...he also plays the run well...has the mentality and makeup that any front office personnel crave...

kindle can't even begin to change directions like jerry hughes can...the stiffness is very apparent...i think he's a huge mistake at pick #12...i really do...doesn't use his hands all that well at this stage to get off blocks doesn't have an array of pass rush moves...major red flags off the field to boot...plenty of upside but plenty of questions also... this is a straight line guy imo...

j-off-her-doll
03-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I know that a lot of people still have Hughes in the 2nd. If we were able to grab Graham and Hughes - assuming we address FS before the draft - it'd be ideal. They're my two favorite prospects at OLB - with Griffen on their heels.

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
i think that what's gonna happen barring us finding a nose in free agency is that we're gonna end up having to take one higher than we'd like to...cause there's a solid probability imo that teams are gonna overdraft the nose prospects trying to fill their 3-4 nose needs...

thus even though i don't see the value in a pick #43 nose outside of dan williams i think we could see us taking one with that pick...

the guy i think who is squarely on our radar...cam thomas unc...2 different interviews with him...one at the senior bowl one at the combine...when i spoke to jeff ireland directly after the panthers game in the hotel sports bar and asked about nose prospects the first thing he said was "the nose from north carolina...he's a heck of a player"

i think he's the target all signs seem to point that way and i don't know if we can wait til pick #74 to get his services...even though that's a risk i would take without seeing the board...

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I know that a lot of people still have Hughes in the 2nd. If we were able to grab Graham and Hughes - assuming we address FS before the draft - it'd be ideal. They're my two favorite prospects at OLB - with Griffen on their heels.

that would be one heck of a haul...no doubt...

griffen has a bit of a buyer beware thing for me...but man is that guy supremely talented

j-off-her-doll
03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
that would be one heck of a haul...no doubt...

griffen has a bit of a buyer beware thing for me...but man is that guy supremely talented

That's the only reason I rate Hughes and Graham a little higher. As far as talent, he could well be the best.

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
That's the only reason I rate Hughes and Graham a little higher. As far as talent, he could well be the best.

bar none...he's the most talented in my book...griffen that is...

finfan54
03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
this draft is good for Safety this year. Dont be surprised if we draft one at 12 and then a chris clemons sleeper in the 6th/7th.

j-off-her-doll
03-07-2010, 06:03 PM
this draft is good for Safety this year. Dont be surprised if we draft one at 12 and then a chris clemons sleeper in the 6th/7th.

I think the draft is a little over-hyped at FS. After Berry and Thomas, there's a huge drop off.

But, I think there could be some nice SS depth.