PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sports Buzz- Dolphins options at WR in the 2nd rd

jim1
03-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Illinois' Arrelious Benn and Notre Dame's Golden Tate ran so well at the NFL Combine that it's considered unlikely either receiver will slip to Miami at No. 43. NFL Network's Mike Mayock even considers Benn a viable option at No. 12 if Dez Bryant is off the board by then, though others have Benn going later. That means Miami's likely receiver options for the second round or possibly later include LSU's Brandon LaFell, Cincinnati's Mardy Gilyard, Southern California's Damian Williams and Kansas' Dezmon Briscoe. Miami also is eyeing Georgia Tech's Damaryius Thomas, a projected mid-to-late first rounder who could drop because of a broken foot.

Besides totaling 25.5 sacks in six years (only one in 2009), new Dolphin Karlos Dansby also is solid in pass-coverage, NFL Network's Mike Lombardi said. Pro Football Focus noted that last season, 70.9 percent of passes with Dansby in coverage were completed (in the top 11 for inside linebackers) for a 7.5 average gain. Conversely, Channing Crowder was at 76.3 percent and 10.9, and ex-Dolphin Akin Ayodele at 85.7 and 14.0. Dansby (10 career interceptions) had five missed tackles in '09; Crowder and Ayodele each had 10. The website ranked Dansby 19th among 54 inside linebackers in 2009 performance.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/06/v-fullstory/1516530/florida-marlins-ramirez-focuses.html

skipp2myloo13
03-07-2010, 11:27 AM
If we touch Gilyard, Lafell, Brizcoe or either Williams in the second I will truly throw up. Thomas is the only viable option but we should just sign Bryant and foget the topic. Get FS (Thomas) and NT (Thomas) in the first 2 and go backers all the way through. Unless they wanna take a shot on Price or Easely later.

jim1
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
If we touch Gilyard, Lafell, Brizcoe or either Williams in the second I will truly throw up. Thomas is the only viable option but we should just sign Bryant and foget the topic. Get FS (Thomas) and NT (Thomas) in the first 2 and go backers all the way through. Unless they wanna take a shot on Price or Easely later.

The problem is the likelihood of Bryant not being there at #12. If he is I think that he's the obvious choice at #12. This draft is confusing and annoying in terms of getting value at the #12 slot. I can see Dan Williams. I have issues with taking a relatively unproven JPP at #12, despite his physical abilities. I like Brandon Graham, but he doesn't fit the profile size wise. Jermaine Gresham is interesting, but #12 is high. My guess is that you can forget Rolando McClain at #12. I agree with Mayock regarding Benn, but the same thing computes for me- trade down. And with the trade down my two top names are Benn and Dan Williams. Earl Thomas up there, too, but the S out of LSU is good with great size, I could see him in the 2nd rd, maybe a better value. I could also see a big surprise in the 2nd rd, but it's too early in the morning for dealing with dbag comments from this site regarding that, so why mention it. 3rd rd- Sean Lee, as always. Not as adamant with Dansby on board, but I like him very much. Maybe Cam Thomas here. Could be Jimmy Graham , and I'm very much confused by Mike Williams now- he ran well, but did only 8 reps of 225 lbs, and some are saying that he improved his stock. Maybe Carlton Mitchell in the 4th.

Bottom line- what a confusing draft for the Dolphins this year. Occam's Razor conclusion- the Dolphins do their best to trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rd pick and end up with their choice of Golden Tate, Demaryious Thomas or Arrellious Benn. They take Benn.

p.s. Jason ferguson suspended 8 games, odds of Dan Williams being the pick at #2 just went up.

MiamiDolfan85
03-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Briscoe and Gilyard at 43 is about as bad as Rex Ryan's eating habits...

jim1
03-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Briscoe and Gilyard at 43 is about as bad as Rex Ryan's eating habits...

I like Briscoe. He didn't run a very good 40 at the combine though, that is concerning. Not good strength either, bad bench performance.

uga3406
03-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Look I will say it over and over: LaFell is the way to go in the 2nd rd. This guy is a player! Miami needs to pick him imho

X-Pacolypse
03-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I hope it's Demaryius Thomas.

jim1
03-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Look I will say it over and over: LaFell is the way to go in the 2nd rd. This guy is a player! Miami needs to pick him imho

I like Lafell. My frustration with him has been watching some LSU football and just not seeing him do much or being able to get a good feel for him. He has size, strength, toughness, decent speed. You can tell that he has some explosion to his game, and that's crucial There are some questions about his hands, but I'm ok with them in general. It's questionable as to whether he'll be there at #43, but if he is he'll be a strong candidate. And yet again the 1st round trade down bell goes off in my head. The Jason Ferguson suspension could force a higher NT pick, but anyway:

1. Trade down w/ Green bay, pick up and extra 2nd. Pick: Arrelious Benn. If no trade down: DT Dan Williams
2a. Tim Tebow/Toby Gerhart
2b. Chad Jones S LSU
3. Cam Thomas/Sean Lee/Jimmy Graham
4. Carlton Thomas/ Eric Decker/Mike Williams

For all the talk of Jerry Hughes- and he is good- if we want a great pass rusher who is questionable against the run, we already have one- Cameron Wake.

The WRs need to be weeded out. And that means Ginn for sure and Turner if he doesn't step it up. Decker is not #1 WR material imo, but simply too good to pass up here. Great size, toughness, production. I can't help but like Sean Lee- Dansby will be ILB but I wonder if we got Lee if Dansby could play some OLB. Lee could play some OLB,too.

If we went D with 2a I'd look at Brian Price. Brandon Spikes might be there as well. I'm a little wary of Terrence Cody, but you never know. Might be a value here. Toby Gerhart- he's just damn good and the clock is ticking on our power backs. I love Ricky WIlliams, but this is most likely his last year. Ronnie Brown- damn good player, but salary and injury issues are there, and he's pushing 30. Maybe Ben Tate a bit later.

Feel free to NOT comment on the other guess for pick 2a. Tired of the dbag responses, it's just a gut feeling on my part. If not Parcells then Bellichick is a STRONG candidate to take Tebow. Depending on who is on the board at #43, Tebow wouldn't shock me in the least- if Pat White is a flop so be it, Parcells won't live in the past. Again, not interested in any feedback on that pick- yet I'm pretty confident that the dbag responses will roll in. Just like with Percy Harvin last year. Oh yeah, he's a Ted Ginn clone. I forgot, my bad.

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
lafell plays faster than he timed in the run...there's explosion and burst there and he can get open but those hands make me want to stay away...

you give him the ball around the los and i think he can do some thing that currently none of our wrs can seem to do...if he catches the damn thing

if benn is off the board at #43 i'm inclined to just wait til #74 and see what's on the board at wr...

the guy i keep saying who looks like a difference maker in the pros to me...taylor price

pick #74 he'd be on my list to consider for sure...

Miamifin23
03-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Sign a receiver like Mason or Bryant then focus on this defense with our first 2 picks. Berry or Thomas with the 1st (unless Dez Bryant is there), then maybe Trade up a little bit for Cody or wait for Cam Thomas in the 2nd.

AceofSpades
03-07-2010, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=jim1;1063353330] "The problem is the likelihood of Bryant not being there at #12. If he is I think that he's the obvious choice at #12. This draft is confusing and annoying in terms of getting value at the #12 slot. I can see Dan Williams. I have issues with taking a relatively unproven JPP at #12, despite his physical abilities. I like Brandon Graham, but he doesn't fit the profile size wise. Jermaine Gresham is interesting, but #12 is high. My guess is that you can forget Rolando McClain at #12."

This is possible, but hardly set in stone. I have seen a lot of websites projecting Rolando McClain at 15 to the Giants, or even later - although never later than the top 20 picks. This is as good a draft overall as I've seen in a long time, so somebody has to fall.

Other names that I think should be in the conversation at 12 include C.J. Spiller and Sergio Kindle. I understand that hypothetically Spiller doesn't fill a position of need for us, but while Ronnie Brown hasn't carried the ball as much as many people his age, we can't ignore the fact that he has gotten injured a lot and will cost a ton of money to retain going forward.

Even if we decide to retain the two-back system going forward, wouldn't it make sense to phase out Ricky for a much younger and more dynamic back in Spiller? I am sure that a lot of people would be displeased if we chose Spiller, but I can see it happening. Our offense could definitely use more explosiveness, but does it necessarily have to come from the WR position? Given that I expect Dez Bryant to be off the board by pick 12, I think that you have to at least kick the tires on Spiller.

As for Kindle, we could certainly use an upgraded pass rush. I think he's well worth the pick at #12. And Mike Mayock agrees, even preferring him to McClain for us:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/02/23/mike-mayock-texas-outside-linebacker-sergio-kindle-best-case-scenario-for-dolphins/

"I agree with Mayock regarding Benn, but the same thing computes for me- trade down. And with the trade down my two top names are Benn and Dan Williams, Earl Thomas there, too."

That's another quote from jim1. I appreciate the fact that while you suggest that trading down would be a nice option to have, and consider whom we could draft if we do that, you don't assume that we can trade down at will. I can't tell you how many times I've read posts on this site that assume that trading down in the draft is as simple as expressing a desire to do so to any other team, which you can then rob blind.

Getting back down from my soapbox, I like Dan Williams just fine in a trade down, although as you point out we might be willing to pull the trigger on him even at 12. I'm not sure how much lower on the board Earl Thomas is than #12, honestly, so I don't know how much you could trade down and still expect that he will be available. I'm not crazy about Benn, as I think that he's more of a project than I'd like due to his lack of use in college. I think that Ryan Matthews might be a nice option in a trade down, as some think that he is even more NFL-ready than Spiller.

jim1
03-07-2010, 01:31 PM
[quote=jim1;1063353330] "The problem is the likelihood of Bryant not being there at #12. If he is I think that he's the obvious choice at #12. This draft is confusing and annoying in terms of getting value at the #12 slot. I can see Dan Williams. I have issues with taking a relatively unproven JPP at #12, despite his physical abilities. I like Brandon Graham, but he doesn't fit the profile size wise. Jermaine Gresham is interesting, but #12 is high. My guess is that you can forget Rolando McClain at #12."

This is possible, but hardly set in stone. I have seen a lot of websites projecting Rolando McClain at 15 to the Giants, or even later - although never later than the top 20 picks. This is as good a draft overall as I've seen in a long time, so somebody has to fall.

Other names that I think should be in the conversation at 12 include C.J. Spiller and Sergio Kindle. I understand that hypothetically Spiller doesn't fill a position of need for us, but while Ronnie Brown hasn't carried the ball as much as many people his age, we can't ignore the fact that he has gotten injured a lot and will cost a ton of money to retain going forward.

Even if we decide to retain the two-back system going forward, wouldn't it make sense to phase out Ricky for a much younger and more dynamic back in Spiller? I am sure that a lot of people would be displeased if we chose Spiller, but I can see it happening. Our offense could definitely use more explosiveness, and given that I expect Dez Bryant to be off the board by pick 12, I think that you have to at least kick the tires on Spiller.

As for Kindle, we could certainly use an upgraded pass rush. I think he's well worth the pick at #12. And Mike Mayock agrees, even preferring him to McClain for us:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/02/23/mike-mayock-texas-outside-linebacker-sergio-kindle-best-case-scenario-for-dolphins/

"I agree with Mayock regarding Benn, but the same thing computes for me- trade down. And with the trade down my two top names are Benn and Dan Williams, Earl Thomas there, too."

That's another quote from jim1. I appreciate the fact that while you suggest that trading down would be a nice option to have, and consider whom we could draft if we do that, you don't assume that we can trade down at will. I can't tell you how many times I've read posts on this site that assume that trading down in the draft is as simple as expressing a desire to do so to any other team, which you can then rob blind.

Getting back down from my soapbox, I like Dan Williams just fine in a trade down, although as you point out we might be willing to pull the trigger on him even at 12. I'm not sure how much lower on the board Earl Thomas is than #12, honestly, so I don't know how much you could trade down and still expect that he will be available. I'm not crazy about Benn, as I think that he's more of a project than I'd like due to his lack of use in college. I think that Ryan Matthews might be a nice option in a trade down, as some think that he is even more NFL-ready than Spiller.

I agree with just about all of that. CJ Spiller has grown on me- as much as we need a #1 WR, we still need speed and dynamic playmakers. And that is CJ Spiller. And while he waits as RW plays his last year and RB gets a year older- and let's face it, he might get injured yet again- Spiller can return kicks. I think that the end is near for Ginn, jmo.

I think that Kindle is underrated on this site, he's worth a look at OLB. I also have my eye on Jacoby Ford- nice hands and pure speed. He's small, but then again so was Mark Duper.

I'm with you on the trade down scenario- easier said than done. It's a deep draft and we don't have a good fit at #12. So with some luck we can find a Green Bay looking for Bulaga or a team that's hot for Spiller- if we don't take him ourselves- and pick up a 2nd. Too many holes on this team, not a good fit at #12 if DB isn't there- trade down is an obvious solution, if it can be done. Big if.

Edit- this was in response to Ace of Spades, not sure what happened.

X-Pacolypse
03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I like Lafell. My frustration with him has been watching some LSU football and just not seeing him do much or being able to get a good feel for him. He has size, strength, toughness, decent speed. You can tell that he has some explosion to his game, and that's crucial There are some questions about his hands, but I'm ok with them in general. It's questionable as to whether he'll be there at #43, but if he is he'll be a strong candidate. And yet again the 1st round trade down bell goes off in my head. The Jason Ferguson suspension could force a higher NT pick, but anyway:

1. Trade down w/ Green bay, pick up and extra 2nd. Pick: Arrelious Benn. If no trade down: DT Dan Williams
2a. Tim Tebow/Toby Gerhart
2b. Chad Jones S LSU
3. Cam Thomas/Sean Lee/Jimmy Graham
4. Carlton Thomas/ Eric Decker/Mike Williams

For all the talk of Jerry Hughes- and he is good- if we want a great pass rusher who is questionable against the run, we already have one- Cameron Wake.

The WRs need to be weeded out. And that means Ginn for sure and Turner if he doesn't step it up. Decker is not #1 WR material imo, but simply too good to pass up here. Great size, toughness, production. I can't help but like Sean Lee- Dansby will be ILB but I wonder if we got Lee if Dansby could play some OLB. Lee could play some OLB,too.

If we went D with 2a I'd look at Brian Price. Brandon Spikes might be there as well. I'm a little wary of Terrence Cody, but you never know. Might be a value here. Toby Gerhart- he's just damn good and the clock is ticking on our power backs. I love Ricky WIlliams, but this is most likely his last year. Ronnie Brown- damn good player, but salary and injury issues are there, and he's pushing 30. Maybe Ben Tate a bit later.

Feel free to NOT comment on the other guess for pick 2a. Tired of the dbag responses, it's just a gut feeling on my part. If not Parcells then Bellichick is a STRONG candidate to take Tebow. Depending on who is on the board at #43, Tebow wouldn't shock me in the least- if Pat White is a flop so be it, Parcells won't live in the past. Again, not interested in any feedback on that pick- yet I'm pretty confident that the dbag responses will roll in. Just like with Percy Harvin last year. Oh yeah, he's a Ted Ginn clone. I forgot, my bad.

I can't quit you, Tim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjSTiUgsEpU

(Sidenote: Gerhart would be a better pick at 2a, anyways)

jim1
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I can't quit you, Tim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjSTiUgsEpU

(Sidenote: Gerhart would be a better pick at 2a, anyways)

edit

cuban_refugee
03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I could see us drafting one of the OLBs at 12 (either Witherspoon or Kindle). Then in 2nd round I would easily take D. Thomas WR. We can find our future NT in the 3rd - Cam Thomas ( I really like this guy). Fourth round look for TE or FS. Then look fo RB and other OLB late in the draft.

cuban_refugee
03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I would love to be able to trade out of 12 for add'l picks, but I think the draft is too deep this year and there won't be any viable suitors.

twohype
03-11-2010, 12:23 AM
I could see us drafting one of the OLBs at 12 (either Witherspoon or Kindle). Then in 2nd round I would easily take D. Thomas WR. We can find our future NT in the 3rd - Cam Thomas ( I really like this guy). Fourth round look for TE or FS. Then look fo RB and other OLB late in the draft.

Since so many teams are looking for NTs Cam Thomas will picked in the 2nd round. We must get a NT so it's either WR-NT in rounds 1-2 or NT-WR :hi5:

3rdandinches
03-11-2010, 01:39 AM
E.Thomas in the 1st makes way to much sense, we need FS help and Thomas could be a great one. With the depth at OLB in the draft we can take that later and we have Solai and Fergy so NT isn't that big of a need in the first couple rounds. Most NT's don't make much of an impact right away so with Solai and Fergy we will take one later. McClain still makes sense but isn't as big of a need because we can do very well with Dansby and Crowder.

If, which is a huge if D.Thomas WR is available in the second he becomes another no brainer in my books. If not then the 2nd is a perfect spot to get an OLB as is the 3rd round and look to see a WR in the late rounds.

Signing G.Ellis OLB can also help transition a rookie OLB into a starting role eventually.

Tiko377
03-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Miami also is eyeing Georgia Tech's Damaryius Thomas, a projected mid-to-late first rounder who could drop because of a broken foot.

IF WE DO THIS OMFG OMFGGGGG I WOULD DO/TRY TO DO BACKFLIPS

npg23
03-11-2010, 03:30 AM
I agree that the only person worth taking in the 2nd round is thomas but I could also see us drafting carlton mitchell in the 2nd round instead of those other guys he has way more potential

TheBow305
03-11-2010, 04:31 AM

And I will say it over and over: LaFell is just not that good.

Drops WAAAAAYYYY too man balls. No thank you!

DefensiveEnd76
03-11-2010, 04:46 AM
And I will say it over and over: LaFell is just not that good.

Drops WAAAAAYYYY too man balls. No thank you!

LaFell has pretty small hands for a guy his size also