PDA

View Full Version : Make the case for your WR-of-choice in this draft?

Astrosback
03-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Your round 2 WR-of-choice that is...

If Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate, Brandon LaFell and Demaryius Thomas (or other WR) are all there at 43, who do you take and why?

Assume our FA went Karlos Dansby, Ryan Clark and Jamal Williams and we got an OLB like Brandon Graham at 1.12 so we need to go WR in round 2.

(And this question is ideally for those who watch tons of college football, please.)

cobbs321
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
there are so many more talented WR's in next years draft that will impact, But if i had to pick this year if would be Benn because he is athletic, big, and a red zone target.

Astrosback
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
there are so many more talented WR's in next years draft that will impact, But if i had to pick this year if would be Benn because he is athletic, big, and a red zone target.

Do you think questions about his hands are fair or was the offense just so bad this year that it contributed to lapses of concentration?

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
i don't see any issues with benns hands...if i had an issue with him it would be his route running which needs work and his ability to separate down the field...but i think that will be fine...

what benn does do is he has a burst that you can see on tape and once he gets the ball and heads downhill he has a different level of quick acceleration...not to mention he's a load to tackle...along the lines of dez bryant in that regard...both these guys will carry secondary players for extra yards...

i think benn makes a very smooth transition into our offense and would be a day 1 contributor...

i'd take arrelius benn off the names listed without hesitation if wr is the pick

ColonelJ
03-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I question Benn's hands not because he does not catch well but because you just don't see many grabs away from the body to say that he has great hands or bad hands. We just don't know. He did not catch "great" in the combine. I did not see soft hands away from the body. But Benn is certainly not a disaster. Other than that unknown, Benn is just spectacular imo. Considering the wideouts on our roster I would also take Demaryius Thomas from GT. Between Benn and Thomas, Benn is a better all around wideout imo, but Thomas maybe more what we need. After those two, I would take Tate from your list just because I like Tate's quick feet and transitions. Finally, LaFell is fourth imo from your list. Keep in mind there are other receivers to consider as well.

j-off-her-doll
03-08-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't think it's close. A. Benn.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Your round 2 WR-of-choice that is...

If Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate, Brandon LaFell and Demaryius Thomas (or other WR) are all there at 43, who do you take and why?

Assume our FA went Karlos Dansby, Ryan Clark and Jamal Williams and we got an OLB like Brandon Graham at 1.12 so we need to go WR in round 2.

(And this question is ideally for those who watch tons of college football, please.)

For me it would come down to Demaryius Thomas and Golden Tate. I really like both, but for the Dolphins needs I think Thomas would be the best fit as he is the most physical receiver in the draft. I don't like Brandon LaFell too much. He reminds me too much of Derek Hagan.

Astrosback
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm hoping we can move Ginn for something (maybe to CLE for DT/NT Shaun Rogers?) and then we draft two WRs.

As far as I'm concerned, we have only Hartline (maybe worthy of WR2) and Camarillo (should be a very good slot guy now-healthy again) and I'll assume we re-sign Bess (another slot). Ginn should even be starting in 3 WR sets and I would hope we trade him even if he just commands mid round value. And Patrick Turner could end up being a cut.

So that leaves us with huge needs at WR assuming we don't get Mason or A. Bryant in FA.

If we're trying to find a WR1, it would be wise to invest at least two early-mid round picks again this year. Last year we did that and it looks like we came away with a WR2 in Hartline.

Maybe...

1.) Graham
2.) Benn
3.) Demaryius (imagine that)

Now that would give us some good odds of having a WR1 next year.

ColonelJ
03-08-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't think we will have a shot at both Benn and Thomas. It is really a matter of preference. Thomas has a potential to be a T.O./Marshall type of guy. Benn is more like Boldin type of receiver. Benn is more ready, and with Thomas it's about how his athleticism translates to NFL.

Astrosback
03-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I don't think we will have a shot at both Benn and Thomas. It is really a matter of preference. Thomas has a potential to be a T.O./Marshall type of guy. Benn is more like Boldin type of receiver. Benn is more ready, and with Thomas it's about how his athleticism translates to NFL.

And I think it's harder to project Demaryius. He physically LOOKS like he could play like Brandon Marhsall but those are few and far between.

Benn LOOKS like he could be more like Michael Crabtree (don't see him as physical as Boldin) but again, so hard to be sure.

Tate looks like he could end up being the most productive right away as a rookie b/c his game is mostly based on pure effort/passion ala Steve Smith and that could translate the easiest.

Idk...

ColonelJ
03-08-2010, 01:47 AM
And I think it's harder to project Demaryius. He physically LOOKS like he could play like Brandon Marhsall but those are few and far between.
People say that Thomas did not run the tree, but from what I saw he did, he ran the basic tree 1-9. But he did not go over the middle much and did not run a complex tree. That's OK with me because he would likely play Ginn's side. He knows how to flip the corner, has adequate speed and quickness on comebacks, and knows how to use his body. Which is exactly what TO did in his hayday.

Benn LOOKS like he could be more like Michael Crabtree (don't see him as physical as Boldin) but again, so hard to be sure. Benn is as physical and as quick with feet, and very deceptive on routs, as Boldin. I think we'll watch him for a long time as long as his hands don't become a problem.

Tate looks like he could end up being the most productive right away as a rookie b/c his game is mostly based on pure effort/passion ala Steve Smith and that could translate the easiest.

West Coast offense, and he may have a shot at being successful.

#1dolphinsfan
03-08-2010, 02:14 AM
If Benn and Thomas are there at 43 and we pass on either of them i would be pretty pissed even more so if we dont feel the WR spot through FA

#1dolphinsfan
03-08-2010, 02:17 AM
People say that Thomas did not run the tree, but from what I saw he did, he ran a basic tree 1-9. But he did not go over the middle much and did not run a complex tree. That's OK with me because he would likely play Ginn's side. He knows how to flip the corner, has adequate speed and quickness on comebacks, and knows how to use his body. Which is exactly what TO did in his hayday.
Benn is as physical and as quick with feet, and very deceptive on routs, as Boldin. I think we'll watch him for a long time as long as his hands don't become a problem.

West Coast offense, and he may have a shot at being successful.
if he is as good as T.O. or has the potential and is there at 43 we should defently take him T.O. is a great WR and noone can say other wise IMO

ColonelJ
03-08-2010, 02:34 AM
It's difficult to predict production, but Thomas will need to work on routes that any team that drafts him runs, and he will have to improve his vision if required to go over the middle. He is a project for where he needs to be as far as his game. But IMO he can be a very solid producer in his first year. Thomas has HOF potential imo. Benn has the best chance to be a 500-1000 yard receiver next year. I definitely would like to get one, if not both, of those guys.

#1dolphinsfan
03-08-2010, 02:37 AM
It's difficult to predict production, but Thomas will need to work on routes that any team that drafts him runs, and he will have to improve his vision if required to go over the middle. He is a project for where he needs to be as far as his game. But IMO he can be a very solid producer in his first year. Benn has the best chance to be a 500-1000 yard receiver next year. I definitely would like to get one, if not both, of those guys.
it is near Impossbably to prodict production for a rookie most people thought that Gholston was going to be stud but look how that turned out

justdev7
03-08-2010, 05:16 AM
3 words "hey bey-bey". For those of you who don't get the reference I'm talking about Demariyus Thomas. I would honestly actually take Benn at #43 but I really like Thomas and if Benn isn't there in the 2nd then Bey Bey's broken foot might drop him to the 3rd so maybe we could get him there

Clipse
03-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Benn. If not for poor QB play, he'd be a top 15, top 20 pick. He's fast, strong, physical, big. He's everything we need at the WR position. Big fan of Thomas as well.