PDA

View Full Version : CB Perrish Cox barred from Oklahoma State Pro Day

DKphin
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Not good from a PR POV going into the draft.:rolleyes2:

Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy will not allow star cornerback Perrish Cox to work out at the team facilities for NFL scouts during the Cowboys' Pro Day March 10.

Gundy announced as much publicly during a radio interview yesterday with Al Jerken on the Sports Animal Tulsa network.

Gundy's decision continues a stunning fall from grace for the former All-Big 12 star.

Cox was suspended due to two separate curfew violations while the team prepared in Dallas for the Alamo Bowl against Mississippi. He was not allowed to participate in the bowl game.

Making matters worse, during his session with the media, Cox characterized the questions he received from NFL teams about his suspension from the Cowboys as being "harassed." Cox's term wasn't a slip of the tongue; he repeated the word several times to describe his Q and A sessions with teams.

Cox furthermore hurt his chances with clubs by coming in much slower than expected during drills. Considered one of the top corners in the nation and a big play returner (six career touchdown returns), Cox was timed in the high 4.5s to low 4.6s in the 40-yard dash.
http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/20326340?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry20326340

Mr. Magoo
03-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Cox blocked?

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 02:43 PM
i really liked perrish in the couple games i saw. made a big impact on the outcomes. the character things are indeed a red flag (see mike williams su) but i wouldn't mind seeing him dime it and return punts instead of ginnger.

ckparrothead
03-09-2010, 02:53 PM
This just shows you that Mike Gundy is not a man who will talk up a player of his just by default. If he felt Dez Bryant was a Grade A scum bag, he'd have said so, publicly, and similarly barred him from ever being at the team's facilities. He's criticized Dez in the media before, talking about how he has to learn to stop being a "cheerleader" and to find work when the ball is going by him, talking about how he's in the process of learning to become a better teammate and better in the locker room. Dez gets criticized for those things but Gundy has also talked about how much improvement Dez has shown in those areas since coming to Oklahoma State...and that's not coming from some guy that is going to blindly stick by a player's side if for no other reason than it makes him look better to recruits.

This is why I don't buy the Dez Bryant character assassination that is going on right now. Bryant was a high rated kid coming out of high school and he played under a hard-@ss, and he not only did fine, he made improvements along the way. The opposite was the case with Mike Williams. He played under a hard-@ss in Doug Marrone and he completely imploded.

What would happen with these two under a similar hard-@ss in Tony Sparano, cut from Bill Parcells' cloth? If history is any indicator, Dez Bryant will show improvement, and Mike Williams will implode.

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Mike Gundy is a man......he's 40....

I'm not sure how much of the character assault going on with Dez is smoke...because you get a lot of that about this time of year....

ckparrothead
03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I think it's truth mixed with hyperbole and innuendo. Has he been late to some things, even game check-in? Yeah, probably...doubt those things were just made up out of the blue like the positive steroid test for Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing a year ago. But what I want to know is when that happened, whether it got better, how late, under what circumstances...all the little details that you're not going to get from some chortling miscreant whose been set to the classic game of disinformation.

Color me unsurprised if a highly recruited freshman has a few issues with being late. But I would want to know things like how he improved from his first year to second year, how he responded to punishment, did any of that involve his third year before he got suspended by the NCAA, etc.

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
well spoke.that said this kid was one of the few gamechangers i happened to witness.
RED FLAG!!!!! you bet.but if he's there in the 3rd i pull the trigger.

Oraclepz
03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
every time i hear about mike gundy i think of this.. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyTQUWEKx0o&feature=related

DKphin
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Without further ado, here is Gundy's full rant in it's entirety. Can not say I disagree with him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E