PDA

View Full Version : Player X or Player Y based on college statistics

paulomac77
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Player X - 5'10 197 2 year starter at Safety, career totals; 135 tackles, 10 INT, 20 PBU, 5 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, 2 INT RET TD

Player Y - 6'0 200 2 year starter at safety and corner, career totals; 220 tackles, 4 INT, 20 PBU, 5 FF

Based solely on statistics which player would you feel better about drafting?

I'll post the identities of X and Y after some people respond. Im trying to prove a point that safeties can be over-hyped by stats when they are surrounded by talent.

skipp2myloo13
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
no offense.
But this is kindof dumb. For this position it isnt a stat based game. FS have a lot more to do with scheme and pressure up front than overall scheme. The player 1 has 10 picks which stands out and 4 ff so he can hit. Player 2 has more versitility, more tackles but way less picks. If the picks is a product of the system i would be happy with either, but with limited info ill take the first one. P.S. Missed tackles would also be a good stat to provide.

DcRy82
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Based off of your information, i think anyone would select player X based on more big plays and turning TOs into points. But as skipp mentioned, there is more to it than what you are supplying for information.

PhinPhan910
03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I think player X is earl Thomas.
Player Y is... Nate Allen?

paulomac77
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Good guess phin phan! Player X is Earl Thomas and player Y is Jason Allen, who may have started more than 2 season, im not sure.

The point of this was not to compare Earl Thomas to Jason Allen, I think Earl Thomas could be a legit NFL safety but at 12? The point Im trying to make is that both of these players had really good front 7's to play behind and great stats to show for it. And ya i do remember the dislocated hip and how much saban wanted Allen at LSU.

Names of front 7 players on tennessee in 03' and 04'(Allens two best years): Kevin Burnett, Omar Gaither, Parys Haralson, Justin Harrell, Greg Jones, Jerod Mayo, Turk McBride, and Tony McDaniel. Most are still in the NFL.

Now look at Texas' front 7 the last 2 years; Lamar Houston, Sergio Kindle, Rod Muckelroy, Sam Acho, Brian Orakpo, Roy Miller, Henry Melton. Orakpo was a first round pick and Kindle will be this year most likely. Texas' defense was third this season in yards per game allowed and it wasnt because of Earl Thomas.

Its upsetting to have to now root against a guys career because draftniks are drooling over his 8 INT. Come on people enough of this Earl Thomas at 12 crap. I know safety is a huge need for us but that doesnt mean we have to reach on anyone. We would have to trade down at least 10 spots before I was happy taking Earl Thomas.