5. Reshard Jones (2nd-3rd)
6. Chad Jones (2nd-3rd Round)
7. Morgan Burnett (3rd Round)
8. Major Wright (3rd Round)
9. Robert Johnson (4th - 5th Round)
0. Kam Chancellor (4th-7th Round)

*edit - added Chad Jones and Reshard Jones

?

I know very little about most of these guys... I know most have Taylor Mays at SS but for some reason he reminds me of the guys we've gone after so far in free agency.... which is making me nervous lol...

Are any of these guys after #5 above average NFL starter material? What order would you rank them in? And what round grades would you give them? Did I miss anyone? Seems like they MUST have more upside than what we already have to bother wasting a pick...

TheBow305
03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Chad Jones should be in there somewhere around the 4 or 5 spot.

ckparrothead
03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I think that Mike Nolan would like Earl Thomas and Major Wright.

SamIam
03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
where is Reshad Jones? I have been saying it for weeks, he could solve our FS problem and could be had in the 3rd I believe, Great tackler with great range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP5nmyNSgk

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I think that Mike Nolan would like Earl Thomas and Major Wright.

That's interesting.....because the two couldn't be more opposite as players IMO...

52CANES
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Chad Jones should be in there somewhere around the 4 or 5 spot.

added him smack dab between Mays and Burnett...

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM
both reshad jones and taylor mays will be strong safeties imo.

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
where is Reshad Jones? I have been saying it for weeks, he could solve our FS problem and could be had in the 3rd I believe, Great tackler with great range

Reshad Jones is a great hitter....not a great tackler....especially in the open field....there's a difference..

Several safeties in this draft all have the same knock as far as I'm concerned.....they don't wrap up....and they miss open field tackles going for the big hit instead of just getting the guy on the ground when they would've been better off doing so...

Ironically, the guy who might be the best open field tackler IMO is Earl Thomas...

52CANES
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM

I just forgot Reshard Jones... I added him to my list. I think he could even go in the 2nd, might be there for our pick in the 3rd though.

This is why I posted this though, trying to learn more about them. I'd like Earl Thomas in the 1st if we don't get a FA safety but usually pass rushers are who you should get before safetys right?

52CANES
03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
both reshad jones and taylor mays will be strong safeties imo.

Haven't both guys who we have targetted in free agency been guys more like Reshard Jones and Taylor Mays than guy like Earl Thomas or Nate Allen?

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
damn shame NC's duenta williams didn't opt out.problem solved.

ckparrothead
03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
That's interesting.....because the two couldn't be more opposite as players IMO...

In terms of looking at intangibles, experience, makeup, work ethic, leadership and ability to call a defense...not dissimilar at all. You have to get beyond the surface things like one guy being a hitter and the other guy being a ball hawk.

When you look at how Mike Nolan supposedly loves a guy like Jim Leonhard (according to Daniel Jeremiah who worked with Nolan), went from Mark Roman as his Free Safety in San Francisco, to Renaldo Hill in Denver, and he tried to pull in Ryan Clark in Miami, while having them jettison Gibril Wilson...there isn't any underlying commonality in all those guys' games that make you say Nolan wants a ball hawk or Nolan wants a hitter, etc. The commonality is in their responsible, intelligent, trustworthy, tough and dogged approaches to the game of football.

On that basis, yeah I think he'd like guys like Earl Thomas and Major Wright. Just my opinion.

SamIam
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Reshad Jones is a great hitter....not a great tackler....especially in the open field....there's a difference..

Several safeties in this draft all have the same knock as far as I'm concerned.....they don't wrap up....and they miss open field tackles going for the big hit instead of just getting the guy on the ground when they would've been better off doing so...

Ironically, the guy who might be the best open field tackler IMO is Earl Thomas...

I disagree Ted, he is a great tackler as well as a great hitter.. I have watched him twice and really impressed me, and has geat range like I said.

I honestly think he is a very underrated FS in this draft

52CANES
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
In terms of looking at intangibles, experience, makeup, work ethic, leadership and ability to call a defense...not dissimilar at all. You have to get beyond the surface things like one guy being a hitter and the other guy being a ball hawk.

When you look at how Mike Nolan supposedly loves a guy like Jim Leonhard (according to Daniel Jeremiah who worked with Nolan), went from Mark Roman as his Free Safety in San Francisco, to Renaldo Hill in Denver, and he tried to pull in Ryan Clark in Miami, while having them jettison Gibril Wilson...there isn't any underlying commonality in all those guys' games that make you say Nolan wants a ball hawk or Nolan wants a hitter, etc. The commonality is in their responsible, intelligent, trustworthy, tough and dogged approaches to the game of football.

On that basis, yeah I think he'd like guys like Earl Thomas and Major Wright. Just my opinion.

Great point. A player that is experienced, plays hard, and knows football... their individual style might be secondary as long as they are good at the style they play and have the intangeables..

Ryan Clark and Gibril Wilson may have similar styles, but Clark is BETTER at the style and STRONGER at NFL game smarts..

#1dolphinsfan
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
i would love to get Nate Alllen in the second round

Dogbone34
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Earl Thomas is starting to look more like an option at #12.

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah I understand that....However, Miami needs a safety that can intercept passes and at least challenge a quarterback's throws....

...reguardless of his "approach" to football....

I think Thomas is that type of player.....while Major Wright may make Nolan feel all "giddy" inside while they're talking football in the lunch room....he's not the type of safety I would covet....but that's just my opinion..

Mr. Magoo
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Major Wright is a very smart player. There's no doubt about that. You don't get to start in the SEC in a fairly complicated defense like UF's for that long without being smart. I'm just not sure he's a very instinctive player in the mold of a Leonhard, Reed, Clark or even Hill. He never really improved over his four years at Florida the way you would expect him to. He was always smart, always a big hitter, but never really more than serviceable.

Sort of a Chad Henne situation that way, only you can make the argument that Michigan got worse over his four years where you can't really say that about Florida. Wright should have been dominant. He wasn't.

Still think he's an underrated player. But that's only because he seems to be thought of as a fifth round pick or something.

52CANES
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah I understand that....However, Miami needs a safety that can intercept passes and at least challenge a quarterback's throws....

I think Thomas is that type of player.....while Major Wright may make Nolan feel all "giddy" inside while they're talking football in the lunch room....he's not the type of safety I would covet....but that's just my opinion..

You won't get an argument from me... I'm not a fan of drafting anyone out of UF. I mean, besides Percy Harvin, I don't think they've put anyone of note into the NFL in the last 10 years. Fred Taylor in 98 and Kevin Carter in 95 I think are the only Pro Bowlers out of UF that I can remember.

maybe Lito Shephard who was just cut.

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
if we're talkin' pure tackling with ryan clark and wilson then wilson holds the edge. last two seasons tackle #'s (08/09) gibril 129/93 . clark 89/87.

ckparrothead
03-09-2010, 02:46 PM

So then what was Ryan Clark about?

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
So then what was Ryan Clark about?

No idea.....what was Gibril Wilson about?

I said that he's not the type of safety "I" would covet.....

They can go try to sign Jack Tatum to patrol Nolan's defense for all I care.....

I understand wanting good "football players".....I think we've even recently had that discussion and you know where I stand on that.....

But....Miami needs to find another Brock Marion.....a ball hawk that will intercept passes and make quarterbacks pay for mistakes.....a guy with fluid hips and range....ball skills...

Stiff hipped 4.4 guys that are fast in a straightline lacking COD and ball skills are a dime a dozen.....I can find you 1 or 2 of those in every round if you like...

ckparrothead
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
No idea.....what was Gibril Wilson about?

I said that he's not the type of safety "I" would covet.....

Point taken. But similarly I never said that Major Wright would be a guy that I would personally covet, either. I don't control who the Miami Dolphins draft. I was saying that I think Mike Nolan would love Earl Thomas and Major Wright. That's my prediction.

52CANES
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
if we're talkin' pure tackling with ryan clark and wilson then wilson holds the edge. last two seasons tackle #'s (08/09) gibril 129/93 . clark 89/87.

The number of tackles has not that much to do with tackling skill really...

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
true.but it is a measured tangible and you gotta start somewhere...

skipp2myloo13
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
ET-Bring the pick home!