PDA

View Full Version : Trading down - always prefered but never happens

Charlie Brown
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Every year on finheaven about half the people on here want to "trade down" and I dont know why everyone keeps saying miami should "trade down" because IT NEVER HAPPENS. you would think people on here would have gave up on that dream scenario like 10 years ago, im not even sure when the last time the Dolphins have traded down from the 1st round to acquire more picks.

Trading down is not as easy as i guess some of yall think it is. Its highly unlikely. Although I do think that Miami picking 12th isnt a great position for us in this years draft. I think we could get just as good players with better value in the 15-25 range. Its still very doubtful for us to trade down (like every year). just be prepared for us to pick at the 12th spot.

I think alot of people on this message board are over hyped on draft picks. Ive seen numorous posts about how some people wouldnt trade away our 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick for an Anquan Boldin type of player (I know he is a Raven now, its just an example). And I dont know why so many people are obsessed with keeping and trying to get more draft picks. I agree that building through the draft is the way to go. but just look at our draft history in the last 10 years, especially in the 2nd and 3rd round. we havent exactly struck gold. Why the obsession for draft picks after the 1st round?

thejetssuck
03-09-2010, 03:15 PM
It depends. If say, Dez Bryant or Eric Berry falls to us at 12, there will be several teams that would be open to trading up. But if guys like those 2 and Spiller are all gone, it will become MUCH harder as the talent then between picks, let's say 12 through 25 is so similar. People won't trade up unless you REALLY have something they want, someone who shouldn't have ever slipped down that far ,e.g Michael Oher and Jeremy Maclin.

TedSlimmJr
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I guess was when Jimmy traded down to take J.J. Johnson....

You can do it...but you have to be willing to accept a little less than what the "value chart" might say that you deserve....

Certain guys are always able to trade down in the draft and acquire more picks....Jimmy Johnson was great at it....Parcells has done it numerous times (although he would've been better off not doing it....passed up HOF'ers in the process)....you just have to know what you're doing...

MiamiDolfan85
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
a trade down would be very much likely if a certain WR,DE or S fell,which one is bound too...

52CANES
03-09-2010, 07:07 PM
a trade down would be very much likely if a certain WR,DE or S fell,which one is bound too...

If the S is there and we trade down I will vomit.

ChambersWI
03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
part of it also has to do with other teams wanting a certain player. We can want to trade down all we want, but if no team behind us wants to trade up, we aren't moving.

#1dolphinsfan
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
i really dependson how you trade down if you do it like the browns did last year you can go down quite a bit sure you wont get a bunch of seconds but you will most likly get 3rd and 4th round picks if you do what the Browns did last year

Charlie Brown
03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
i really dependson how you trade down if you do it like the browns did last year you can go down quite a bit sure you wont get a bunch of seconds but you will most likly get 3rd and 4th round picks if you do what the Browns did last year

But why would you want a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks?

I would much rather have one 1st round and one 2nd round than four 3rd round picks.

Lord Of Miami
03-10-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't know why the OP says we never trade down when we did it last year, it was in the second round but we did it!

Bill and Jeff move up and down the draft trying to get the players they like all the time, Bill's been doing it for years.

People here want more picks in the 2nd , 3rd, 4th rounds because this draft is very deep in all the things we need " DT, FS, OLB,TE " and the odds of finding a guy that could come in and help this year are higher then ever when it comes to 3rd,4th round draft picks.

rickd13
03-10-2010, 08:08 AM
But why would you want a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks?

I would much rather have one 1st round and one 2nd round than four 3rd round picks.

Third round picks are very important because they are still considered "high" draft picks. They are in the top 100 players in the draft, so there are still very good players drafted in the third round. The biggest reason those picks are so valuable is that those players that get drafted in the third round will sign very reasonable contracts with low guaranteed money in the form of signing bonuses. If you trade a bunch of third round picks for veteran players you are paying those veteran players big money. Another reason a bunch of mid round picks are a great thing to have is they can be used to maneuver your way around in the draft by being able to trade them to move up or down (especially up) and target certain players you may be targeting.

Pat-London
03-10-2010, 09:03 AM
If the S is there and we trade down I will vomit.

If we were offerred a 20-25 1st round, an extra 2nd and say a 4th for the 12th pick would you still vomit?

I think it all depends on whats being offered. Yes, id love to see Berry fall to us and it would be a heck of a conversation in the war room if they were offered a bunch of picks for the 12th spot... Its a tough one, we have a lot of holes.

I would consider trading out, shoring up our front 7, allowing Clemons a year with more support around and in front of him.

However, if we did have Berry fall and selected him... I would certainly be hitting the Coronas in hard fashion. Move Clemons to SS and wow.. what a Secondary..

ROADRUNNER
03-10-2010, 09:11 AM
lets start a thread..........i want to stay at #12, see how long that lasts

Danny
03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I'd much rather have lots of picks in round 2, 3 and 4 than not have many picks like when Wanny was here.....the more picks you have the better chance to hit on some of them......hard to believe that anyone on this board has forgotten how horrible things were when Wanny was in charge due to the fact that we never had any picks.

Ozzy rules!!

Charlie Brown
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Third round picks are very important because they are still considered "high" draft picks. They are in the top 100 players in the draft, so there are still very good players drafted in the third round. The biggest reason those picks are so valuable is that those players that get drafted in the third round will sign very reasonable contracts with low guaranteed money in the form of signing bonuses. If you trade a bunch of third round picks for veteran players you are paying those veteran players big money. Another reason a bunch of mid round picks are a great thing to have is they can be used to maneuver your way around in the draft by being able to trade them to move up or down (especially up) and target certain players you may be targeting.

Just look at our draft history, our 3rd round picks suck.
Patrick Turner
Kendal Langford
Lorenzo Booker
derek Hagan
Channing Crowder
wade smith
Taylor Whitley
travis minor
ben kelly
Grey Ruegamer

Im just asking why do yall think 3rd round picks are so important when we clearly havent had much luck in the 3rd round? I still would much rather have one 1st&2nd round picks than four 3rd picks. four 3rd picks just means we'll draft four crappy players.

thejetssuck
03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Patrick Turner
Kendal Langford
Lorenzo Booker
derek Hagan
Channing Crowder
wade smith
Taylor Whitley
travis minor
ben kelly
Grey Ruegamer

Im just asking why do yall think 3rd round picks are so important when we clearly havent had much luck in the 3rd round? I still would much rather have one 1st&2nd round picks than four 3rd picks. four 3rd picks just means we'll draft four crappy players.

Langford and Crowder were very good 3rd rd picks. Turner it is still too early to tell. And almost all those other scrubs were drafted by Wanntard, the worst drafter in the history of the NFL.

rickd13
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Patrick Turner
Kendal Langford
Lorenzo Booker
derek Hagan
Channing Crowder
wade smith
Taylor Whitley
travis minor
ben kelly
Grey Ruegamer

The Dolphins haven't had much luck in the first round either if we use your logic. John Avery, Yatil Green, Jamar Fletcher, Jason Allen, and Ted Ginn were all first round picks that were paid a lot of money and did not produce like expected. Most of the players you named were dafted by previous regimes that obviosly did not have a clue what they were doing. I have faith that this regime will get it right most of the time.