PDA

View Full Version : faith healers get 16 months for son's death

dreday
03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
link (http://www.sunherald.com/2010/03/08/2008896/sentencing-for-or-couple-in-faith.html)

OREGON CITY, Ore. -- The judge who sentenced an Oregon couple to prison Monday for the death of their son says members of their church must quit relying on faith healing when their children's lives are at stake.
"The fact is, too many children have died unnecessarily - a graveyard full," Judge Steven Maurer said. "This has to stop."
Maurer spoke in a quiet, unemotional voice as he led up to his conclusion: Jeffrey and Marci Beagley each should serve 16 months in prison. Members of the Followers of Christ church who packed the courtroom sobbed.
The Beagleys were earlier convicted of criminally negligent homicide in the June 2008 death of their 16-year-old son, Neil, of complications from a congenital urinary tract blockage. The condition normally is easily treated.
Members of their church avoid most medical care and instead rely on rituals such as anointing sick people with oil and laying hands on them.

SpurzN703
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
God should've saved him

Bumpus
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
They should have handled snakes.

HansMojo
03-10-2010, 12:51 AM
I think they should have got more than 16 months.

Chubby
03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
As an expert on this Subject:

I played a Healer Priest in World of Warcraft for several years and let me tell you the art of Priest healing is very under appreciated.

Bad Joke I know :), Parents should have gotten more jail time.
CHubbs

Vaark
03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
While punishment for lunatic fringe parents as gullible as they appear to be is hardly sufficient no matter how sincere their delusional beliefs, I've wrestled with whether to punish Christian Scientist parents who withhold medical treatment for their children as a precept of their beliefs. Otherwise, these folks seem grounded in reality and as such I can understand their conscious decision to adhere to the tenets of their faith.

Bottom line on them, I'm always happy to hear when the state seizes temporary guardianship if it looks like the withholding of critical medical procedures are potentially life-threatening. IMO, it's appropriate to protect the kids from their parents' beliefs but as far as punishing Christian Science parents for those sincere beliefs, I don't believe that has happened, at least frequently, nor should it.