PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas should be our 1st rd pick

uga3406
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
No matter if Miami stands pat at 12 or decides to trade back, make no mistake, Earl Thomas should be their 1st overall pick. Here me out before you go nuts. The time for putting in a stop-gap at the safety position are over. For years it has been passed down to Sammy Knight-Lance Shulters-Renyaldo Hill and to Gibril Wilson. It was a blessing in disgusie that Clark didn't sign here. Thoasm may not be Berry but he is not that far off. He may not been as big as play making skills as him but his coverage skills are impeckable. Some say he offers a lot more in the tackling department then Berry does. I say the time is now, address this position now and it will be solid for many years. I do happen to think that Dez Bryant will be gone by 12 and I think a great rushing OLB can be easily addressed in both the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Make no mistake about it, Thomas is the way to go.

#1dolphinsfan
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I would like Thomas or Berry with the 12th pick either one would be a good pick

dolphinsbshaw72
03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
i agree.. we need a playmaker on the fs.. i would be very happy with thomas.. but i also woundnt mind dez either.. hope we get one of those guys..

SamIam
03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I would like Thomas or Berry with the 12th pick either one would be a good pick

I think Parcells will swing a deal with his son-in-law and get Berry :d-day:

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
value wise he's a reach at #12. no other team would take him there. if you want earl thomas you figure out how to drop back or else overpay.

outlawd2u
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM
My pick has always been Dez Bryant but I don't think he falls to #12, my #2 is Earl Thomas so I can't really disagree with you here.

krosston
03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I would like both the Thomas' (Earl and Cam) to be our first two picks.

Dogbone34
03-09-2010, 06:08 PM

it's a stretch, but i wouldn't rule it out. Berry and Dansby would be huge for our defense.

i'm a little reluctant about Thomas at #12. predictions are risky, i see sean weatherspoon growing into a beast on defense. get a safety later.

i don't like drafting for need, but Earl Thomas could be a good case. he's a young, explosive, playmaker with football smarts.

#1dolphinsfan
03-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I doubt it i think i would rather just stay at 12 and hope berry falls and if he doesnt just draft Thomas

Biscayne Bay
03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm working on a mock of that as we speak...

Biscayne Bay
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I doubt it i think i would rather just stay at 12 and hope berry falls and if he doesnt just draft Thomas

Earl Thomas may not make it to 12 either. FS has become more of a premium position in today's pass happy NFL - especially for 3-4 teams. I wouldn't be shocked to see CLE grab him at 7.

uga3406
03-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Earl Thomas may not make it to 12 either. FS has become more of a premium position in today's pass happy NFL - especially for 3-4 teams. I wouldn't be shocked to see CLE grab him at 7.

No way If Berry is still at number 7 I think they take him. I think they have more needs on the offensive side of the ball. I was thinking they might take Spiller or Bryant there.

#1dolphinsfan
03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I guarantee you that one of them will be there FS have never really been drafted that hugh so it really wouldnt suprise me if both of them made it to the 12th pick

Ikema
03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
NT, FS, or LB? To me the question is how much depth or how quick it falls off, as to what the FO does on April 22nd. I do believe it has to be a defense pick.

Miamifin23
03-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Thomas would be a good pick yes, if dez bryant is off the board. With the resigning of jason ferguson and the signing of dansby there is no question the next position of need would be FS and WR.

52CANES
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Thomas would be a good pick yes, if dez bryant is off the board. With the resigning of jason ferguson and the signing of dansby there is no question the next position of need would be FS and WR.

I used to think I'd want Dez Bryant. But people are comparing Earl Thomas and Berry favorabley with Ed Reed..... I don't see anyone comparing Dez Bryant with Michael Irvin.

dr.jake
03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
my name is earl. if we don't select him at #12 he's pushed to the second round.

3rdandinches
03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
E.Thomas would be an excellent pick.

ColonelJ
03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I'd pass on Thomas. Too weak for my taste. Thomas had some interceptions last year, and he'd be a good nickel guy, but I want more juice out of FS. It's just my preference. And no, Earl Thomas is not Ed Reed. Eric Berry is Ed Reed.

skipp2myloo13
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd pass on Thomas. Too weak for my taste. Thomas had some interceptions last year, and he'd be a good nickel guy, but I want more juice out of FS. It's just my preference. And no, Earl Thomas is not Ed Reed. Eric Berry is Ed Reed.

2 more reps and 4 less lbs than Berry. Yah no way he survives in the NFL. Never mind the fact he started and lead the D at a major school like Texas. (sarcastic eye roll). If the draft goes as is is "supposed" to go. Thomas is my pick every time.

ChadHenne
03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I used to think I'd want Dez Bryant. But people are comparing Earl Thomas and Berry favorabley with Ed Reed..... I don't see anyone comparing Dez Bryant with Michael Irvin.

Well you should watch the people play instead of going by scouting reports.

Dez, based off his sophmore season, has Larry Fitz hands, Andre Johnson size, and his big knocks are he has average speed and a bit of maturity issues.

If we pass on Dez Bryant, I'll be pretty pissed off.

SamIam
03-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Well you should watch the people play instead of going by scouting reports.

Dez, based off his sophmore season, has Larry Fitz hands, Andre Johnson size, and his big knocks are he has average speed and a bit of maturity issues.

If we pass on Dez Bryant, I'll be pretty pissed off.

We will have to trade up to get Dez, and like I said before many times, Parcells just does not like to give up picks.

I would love to get Dez

newlownorder
03-10-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm totally fine with taking E. Thomas at 12, guy is a ballhawk that we haven't had in a very long time. If we do take Thomas, I would like us to take A. Bryant in FA. Just helps us with flexibility in the draft.

Daman379
03-10-2010, 01:02 AM
E Thomas is weak! You want I guy who is 5'10'' 180 lbs to be are free-safety? C'mon! Taylor Mays has way better potential.

LikeUntoGod
03-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Either Thomas at #12 or Nate Allen or Chad Jones in the 2nd round.

We now have the better starting ILB we want and we semi have the NTs we need. Now we need to get the two starters at FS and SOLB to complete this defense. And the TE on offense.

We tied the Colts last year with having a 49% 3rd down completion rate and we really did not have a problem moving the ball. We have the youngest passing game in the NFL with Chad Henne and our young WRing corp. And one of the best running games in the NFL.

The 2nd year of a starting QB is often/hopefully a big increase. This is the first season that he will have the vast amount of the reps in practice. This improvement of Henne is the most important factor in our passing game taking off. Adding another rookie WR is just going to dilute the reps that each one gets.

If you really go over our games last year, we did not lose games due to poor WR play. We lost due to giving up big plays on defense and Henne throwing interceptions. Some might say that Ginn lost us a game or two by dropping a pass but it truth, we had those games won until our defense gave them away.

We could of even won the Steeler game with Thigpen but our defense could not stop the Steelers from driving 90 yards for a score when they had to.

1) Allow Mike Nolan to go wild.
2) Fix the gaping holes in the defense.
3) Return Will Allen from injury.
4) Enjoy the improvement of S.Smith and V.Davis and even C.Clemons.
5) Get Chad Henne and our young WRs up to full speed after a full training camp and preseason together.
6) Stop wasting time on trying to find and then practicing formations and plays to get Pat White some yards.
7) Bring back a healed R.Brown and P.Cobbs.
8) Find a good solid second TE.
9) Tweak our OL some.

And we have a very good football team.

tcolli17
03-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Either Thomas at #12 or Nate Allen or Chad Jones in the 2nd round.

We now have the better starting ILB we want and we semi have the NTs we need. Now we need to get the two starters at FS and SOLB to complete this defense. And the TE on offense.

We tied the Colts last year with having a 49% 3rd down completion rate and we really did not have a problem moving the ball. We have the youngest passing game in the NFL with Chad Henne and our young WRing corp. And one of the best running games in the NFL.

The 2nd year of a starting QB is often/hopefully a big increase. This is the first season that he will have the vast amount of the reps in practice. This improvement of Henne is the most important factor in our passing game taking off. Adding another rookie WR is just going to dilute the reps that each one gets.

If you really go over our games last year, we did not lose games due to poor WR play. We lost due to giving up big plays on defense and Henne throwing interceptions. Some might say that Ginn lost us a game or two by dropping a pass but it truth, we had those games won until our defense gave them away.

We could of even won the Steeler game with Thigpen but our defense could not stop the Steelers from driving 90 yards for a score when they had to.

1) Allow Mike Nolan to go wild.
2) Fix the gaping holes in the defense.
3) Return Will Allen from injury.
4) Enjoy the improvement of S.Smith and V.Davis and even C.Clemons.
5) Get Chad Henne and our young WRs up to full speed after a full training camp and preseason together.
6) Stop wasting time on trying to find and then practicing formations and plays to get Pat White some yards.
7) Bring back a healed R.Brown and P.Cobbs.
8) Find a good solid second TE.
9) Tweak our OL some.

And we have a very good football team.
Wow, you actually get it. I get tired sometimes of all the people crying for a WR when a bigger need on offense is TE. We should draft all defense with a TE in the 3rd or 4th round this year. It is what we need.

TheBow305
03-10-2010, 01:43 AM

It's ok to have your own preference. I have no problem with that. But WTF are you talking about!?

It's one thing to have a preference, but it's quite another to have NO IDEA what you're talking about. What do you even mean here? He's only a good nickel guy? He's too weak "for your taste"? You want more juice from your FS? :err: Hmmmm....

MadDog 88
03-10-2010, 01:50 AM
You want I guy who is 5'10'' 180 lbs to be are free-safety? C'mon! Taylor Mays has way better potential

Mays is a SS not a FS.

If the Dolphins are fortunate enough to have Berry drop to # 12, I see that as a no brainer. OLB is deep in thiis raft so a 2nd or 3rd rounder can be used there. NT can be had in the 2nd round so this leaves FS. I am srating to think that Thomas will be the choice.

skipp2myloo13
03-10-2010, 07:51 AM
E Thomas is weak! You want I guy who is 5'10'' 180 lbs to be are free-safety? C'mon! Taylor Mays has way better potential.

Do some homework, Thomas is 5'10 208. Official combine measurements. He did 225 21 times, more reps than our friend Eric Berry. Mays is a joke, any team who relays on that guy to cover a folding chair is in for the biggest draft mistake of their careers.

ROADRUNNER
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
if there both gone by #12, i would be so ,/.;#'][]!""$$%%^^^ p####d off...........

j-off-her-doll
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
my name is earl. if we don't select him at #12 he's pushed to the second round.

Do you think about these things before you post them? I don't think we draft Thomas. How much would you like to wager that he's drafted in the 1st?

uga3406
03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Do you think about these things before you post them? I don't think we draft Thomas. How much would you like to wager that he's drafted in the 1st?

I agree with you. I can't understand where people are saying Thomas isn't 1st rd material. This guy like I said is a bonfide safety and thier is no doubt in my mind that he should be Miami's number 1 pick

newlownorder
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Please tell me you're joking. Earl Thomas is 1 inch smaller than Berry and 3 lbs. lighter. Who pressed more? Thomas. Taylor Mays? You serious man?

Zounds
03-11-2010, 12:17 AM
value wise he's a reach at #12. no other team would take him there. if you want earl thomas you figure out how to drop back or else overpay.

Our draft room reached on almost every pick last year, and I don't think it will be any different this year. Anyways, I'd be ok with Thomas at #12, but I'm a little concerned about his size. Our on other real options would be if one of the elite guys projected to go in the fist 6 or picks, falls to us. I really don't like any of the OLB's projected in the mid 1st round - none of them are true pass rushers.

Zounds
03-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Please tell me you're joking. Earl Thomas is 1 inch smaller than Berry and 3 lbs. lighter. Who pressed more? Thomas. Taylor Mays? You serious man?

I'm too lazy to get a link, so I'm going by my spotty memory, but I think at the combine Thomas was measured at 5'10" and like 205lbs. Not a huge deal but it's something to consider.

BobDole
03-11-2010, 01:21 AM
would love to get thomas at 12 and not have to worry about that position for the next decade or so. he's gonna be a stud.

3rdandinches
03-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Our draft room reached on almost every pick last year, and I don't think it will be any different this year. Anyways, I'd be ok with Thomas at #12, but I'm a little concerned about his size. Our on other real options would be if one of the elite guys projected to go in the fist 6 or picks, falls to us. I really don't like any of the OLB's projected in the mid 1st round - none of them are true pass rushers.

Really, lol.

V.Davis fell to us, S.Smith fell to us, B.Hartline played great for a 4th rounder, C.Clemons looks to be very solid for a 5th rounder. I hope your not talking about any late rounders because I have no idea how they can be reaches.

So I guess you mean P.White and P.Turner, that's hardly every pick and they still could turn out to be steals. I doubt it but it's alittle early to cry about these picks isn't it.

CANDolphan
03-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Pat White is gonna be a steal eh?

skipp2myloo13
03-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Pat White is gonna be a steal eh?

He said could be.

Zounds
03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Really, lol.

V.Davis fell to us, S.Smith fell to us, B.Hartline played great for a 4th rounder, C.Clemons looks to be very solid for a 5th rounder. I hope your not talking about any late rounders because I have no idea how they can be reaches.

So I guess you mean P.White and P.Turner, that's hardly every pick and they still could turn out to be steals. I doubt it but it's alittle early to cry about these picks isn't it.

I dont care how they played after they were drafted. I'm talking about he value they had at the time leading up to the draft, and the position we selected them at based on that value. Hartline could have been had in the 5th round. Turner could have been had in the 4th or 5th round. Clemons and Nalbone probably would not have been drafted and would have entered the rookie FA pool. And Pat White was taken too early, and probably shouldnt have been selected at all. Vontae Davis and Sean Smith were the only value picks. Dont get me wrong - I'm happy we have Hartline and Clemons, but you have to be an idiot to not consider them reaches.

ricky williams
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
that's where i'm leaning now. at 1st wanted williams at nt because of need but i keep on reading that he is not special enough for 12.

it would be great if we got thomas at 12 and he lived up to mayocks hype. we would have that special reed/palmaulo for a long time. w/ nolan and dansby already, it would make our d unimaginably better.