PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McClain....

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
....just ran a 4.58 at Alabama's pro day....:lol:....and solidified himself as the top ILB in the draft...

Here's some other times...

Terrence Cody - 5.38/5.53

Marquis Johnson - 4.44/4.56

Mike Johnson - 5.26/5.29

Roy Upchurch - 4.52

Mike McCoy - 4.62

Justin Woodall - 4.51/4.55

Corey Reamer - 4.95/5.00

Ali Sherrief - 4.61/4.55

Lorenzo Washington - 4.98/4.93

Eryk Anders - 4.65

Chris Rogers - 4.53

Colin Peek - 4.85/4.93

foozool13
03-10-2010, 03:08 PM
He ran a 4.74 officially...

Namor
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
As others said on this board...he's overrated and slow....HAHAHA.
I still say if he is there at 12 pick him and move Dansby to the outside.

Hey Ted...Roll Tide bro...

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Cody weighed in at 348....that's the lightest he's ever been at Alabama...and locked out 32 reps of 225...

Kareem Jackson didn't run....nothing to gain here...he'll sit on his 40 time from the combine....he's 1st round talent....and the 2nd CB on my board behind Haden..

SR 7
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM
4.74 official time.

t2thejz
03-10-2010, 03:13 PM
His 40 time does not really matter...I expected around a 4.65 but regardless he knows how to take angles on faster players. Watch the SEC championship game.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I've got a 4.66 official on McClain....

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Where are you people getting 4.74 from? I'm watching the linebackers do drills right now...

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I've heard 4.74 and 4.71. Only person I'm seeing a 4.58 or 4.66 from is you so far. Not discounting it, but 4.74 and 4.71 were the numbers I got.

Tiko377
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
i still think we could draft him and move crowder to the outside

jason taylor(anderson will spell him on some downs)-dansby-mcclain- crowder ( wake comes in for pass rushing situations)

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM
BTW those numbers, 4.74 and 4.71 are from Daniel Jeremiah. And I believe he gets his numbers direct from the scouts.

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
If McClain ran a 4.71 and 4.74 at his private pro day, he bowed out of the Combine because he was afraid of a number in the 4.8's. Justin Woodall improved 0.08 seconds from 4.59 to 4.51. Mike Johnson improved his best time 0.11 seconds from 5.37 to 5.26. Evidently Cody improved a whole 0.26 seconds from 5.64 to 5.38.

That sort of gives you an idea of what Ro would have done at the Combine.

Not terrible. Not unexpected.

Chubby
03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Hopefully people finally will get away from him being the next comming of Patrick Willis.

He is a very solid ILB and yes the #1 ILB this year comming out, but he is not in the same echelon as Willis or any of the 3 USC LB's last year.

We go lucky we got Dansby.
Chubbs

j-off-her-doll
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
McClain would have ran a 4.85 at the combine.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
If McClain ran a 4.71 and 4.74 at his private pro day, he bowed out of the Combine because he was afraid of a number in the 4.8's. Justin Woodall improved 0.08 seconds from 4.59 to 4.51. Mike Johnson improved his best time 0.11 seconds from 5.37 to 5.26. Evidently Cody improved a whole 0.26 seconds from 5.64 to 5.38.

That sort of gives you an idea of what Ro would have done at the Combine.

Not terrible. Not unexpected.

Everyone's time usually improves from the combine to their pro day....especially since the combine had been at LOS....it's slow track...

Chubby
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Put this stat into perspective.

McClain is only .64th of a second quicker then Cody !!!!!!

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Put this into perspective.....C.J. Spiller is only .37 faster than McClain....

How'd that work out for him when he was held to 0 rushing yards against Alabama in 2008?

Chubby
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM

How'd that work out for him when he was held to 0 rushing yards against Alabama in 2008?

Just having some fun with numbers man :)

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Everyone's time usually improves from the combine to their pro day....especially since the combine had been at LOS....it's slow track...

That's what I'm saying though. I'm sure some folks that like McClain will want to look at the 4.71/4.74 times and put him in speed categories with Darryl Sharpton (4.73), Pat Angerer (4.69), Navarro Bowman (4.72), Rennie Curran (4.72), A.J. Edds (4.71), Sean Lee (4.72), Roddrick Muckelroy (4.73) and maybe even Sean Weatherspoon (4.68).

I don't know if anyone is saying that yet but I imagine some might, and I would disagree.

I'm saying that at the Combine, based on these times, I'd have to put him in speed category with the likes of Jason Beauchamp (4.82), Boris Lee (4.82), Mike McLaughlin (4.82) and Kion Wilson (4.85).

If he were to have run in Indy, he would have been the 33rd LB to have run a 40 at the Combine, and his time would have ranked somewhere between #26 and #30 out of 33.

That, IMO, is why he ducked out. I'm not giving a free pass to Brandon Spikes. If McClain runs a 4.71/4.74 at his Pro Day I would expect Spikes to run a 4.78+ at his Pro Day.

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I don't know. You might ask the other 20 players that were on the field at any given time during the game.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't know. You might ask the other 20 players that were on the field at any given time during the game.

Around here....that shouldn't matter....

4.5 speed = HOF'er, stud, can't miss, etc.

4.7 speed = overrated, slow, 2 down player, etc.

There's going to be an awful lot of bad tasting medicine to swallow around here for some people when McClain is making pro bowls in the NFL.....

...give you 3 guesses on who's going to be holding the "Spoon"...:lol:

ChadHenne
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I would pay a million dollars to see Terrence Cody run the 40 yard dash.

And as I've said before, Rolando McClain will be a very good ILB in the NFL. Hate when people read more into the 40 yard dash than there really needs to be.

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Around here....that shouldn't matter....

4.5 speed = HOF'er, stud, can't miss, etc.

4.7 speed = overrated, slow, 2 down player, etc.

There's going to be an awful lot of bad tasting medicine to swallow around here for some people when McClain is making pro bowls in the NFL.....

...give you 3 guesses on who's going to be holding the "Spoon"...:lol:

I think he's a good player. But, I'd say that he might reach a Pro Bowl one year...but that it wouldn't be an annual or even multiple thing. I'm trying to think of an NFL career comparison. Maybe like a Bradie James or Dhani Jones.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Nah he'll make more than one pro bowl if he stays healthy....maybe 3 or 4.....I'm thinking maybe a Ken Harvey-ish career..

Namor
03-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I think he's a good player. But, I'd say that he might reach a Pro Bowl one year...but that it wouldn't be an annual or even multiple thing. I'm trying to think of an NFL career comparison. Maybe like a Bradie James or Dhani Jones.

I believe he will have as good as if not better than the man he replaced
at Bama,Demeco Ryans.
Just my opinion,tho.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I believe he will have as good as if not better than the man he replaced
at Bama,Demeco Ryans.
Just my opinion,tho.

Ahh yes...the same Demeco Ryans that ran a 4.66 at Bama's pro day...at 6-1, 236 pounds.....not the 6-3, 254 pounds that McClain is carrying...

The same Demeco Ryans that was too slow.....wasn't an "explosive" tackler....etc...

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
i'm a mcclain fan but that # does make me think he bowed out of the combine cause he didn't want to run a 4.8...which i think now after hearing he ran a 4.74 official makes sense with what range he would have been in at the combine...

slower than i thought...

i doubt he looked as sluggish in lb drills today as spikes did at the combine...that was awful

i don't know if i can justify mcclain at #12 any more with dansby in house...i still think he's gonna be a heck of a pro...

get dez bryant...

2413fanphins
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
I can't believe how many people on here really put this much stock into a 40 yard time.

I for one have never said mcclain is the next coming of pat willis.

I think he'll be solid for us if we got him. I think he'd be an upgrade over crowder.

I like what I have seen watching him play. Don't know of too many times he will have to run a full out 40 yards in a game situation. I'd be more interested in his ten yard time than anything, but even than the tape shows you all you want to know.

there's a reason he is virtually everyones top rated LB... and it isn't because he is average.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
The same Dez Bryant that's STILL too scared to run for anybody? lol

ChadHenne
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
The same Dez Bryant that's STILL too scared to run for anybody? lol

Scared and playing it smart are completely different. Dez has said he's going to perform the workout in a private session with scouts. That way he's going to avoid the public scrutiny and can do what he needs to do without the pressure of competing against all the other players.

He'll do fine.

RichmondWeb
03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
What were Zach Thomas' numbers? A legendary 5th round pick. All he did was make the play. I for one would be disappointed if Miami spent a top draft pick on an ILB (maybe a Willis would be OK) when we need OLB, safety, NT, TE, and WR help urgently; not to mention help at RB and C in the near future, and depth everywhere else. Thomas proved that you don't need numbers to be a great ILB just the ability to make plays. I'm sure there are some lower profile guys who can do that at a much lower cost.

RW

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Scared and playing it smart are completely different. Dez has said he's going to perform the workout in a private session with scouts. That way he's going to avoid the public scrutiny and can do what he needs to do without the pressure of competing against all the other players.

He'll do fine.

Then the same applies for McClain.....if Dez Bryant knows he's already the top WR in the draft...then he can pick and choose what he wants to do...when he wants to do it...and where he wants to do it at....

Just like McClain can...due to already being the top ILB in the draft...

ChadHenne
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Then the same applies for McClain.....if Dez Bryant knows he's already the top WR in the draft...then he can pick and choose what he wants to do...when he wants to do it...and where he wants to do it at....

Just like McClain can...due to already being the top ILB in the draft...

yep. I didn't read what your point was with that comment, just wanted to clarify that Dez wasn't "chickening" out of working out, its' strategic.

WelcomeBack
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
http://blog.al.com/tide-source/2010/03/tides_mcclain_discloses_that_h.html

I had no clue of that.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
yep. I didn't read what your point was with that comment, just wanted to clarify that Dez wasn't "chickening" out of working out, its' strategic.

My original comment wasn't directed towards you....I didn't even know you were here...

It was for hoops.....you can't say that McClain is "hiding" for doing MORE than what Dez Bryant is doing so far....without assuming Bryant has something to hide too...

It's strategic from the standpoint of not having to be out-benched, out-run, or out-performed by a handful of prospects on the same day....

Dez Bryant has plenty to prove.....McClain played football last year...made All-American....won the Butkus Award....and quarterbacked the best college defense that's ever been put on the field to a National Championship.....when their quarterback couldn't even break 60 yards passing...

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
That's not good news. He's got an inflammatory intestinal disease that prevents him from working drills, what happens when/if he goes through issues during the season?

And I'll be damned if hamstring injuries are supposed to linger for 5 months.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 06:10 PM
That's not good news. He's got an inflammatory intestinal disease that prevents him from working drills, what happens when/if he goes through issues during the season?

And I'll be damned if hamstring injuries are supposed to linger for 5 months.

He'll take an IV...get some fluids in him... get his *** on the field and dominate just like he did for the National Championship game....

As Drew Rosenhaus would say.....

..."Next question"....:lol:

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
My original comment wasn't directed towards you....I didn't even know you were here...

It was for hoops.....you can't say that McClain is "hiding" for doing MORE than what Dez Bryant is doing so far....without assuming Bryant has something to hide too...

It's strategic from the standpoint of not having to be out-benched, out-run, or out-performed by a handful of prospects on the same day....

Dez Bryant has plenty to prove.....McClain played football last year...made All-American....won the Butkus Award....and quarterbacked the best college defense that's ever been put on the field to a National Championship.....when their quarterback couldn't even break 60 yards passing...

What makes McClain's decision a little different is that he initially told everyone that he was going to do everything. And then suddenly, he wasn't.

But, upon this news that he has Crohn's and the slowest healing hamstring injury ever, maybe it is reasonable to think that he pulled out of the Combine for one of the above issues rather than having something to hide.

Nonetheless, to me a 4.71/4.74 at his Pro Day translates to a 4.81/4.84 Combine range, especially given the 0.08, 0.11 and 0.26 second improvements by his three teammates that ran in both places.

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
He'll take an IV...get some fluids in him... get his *** on the field and dominate just like he did for the National Championship game....

As Drew Rosenhaus would say.....

..."Next question"....:lol:

Crohn's disease is a "Next question"?

OK.

Disagree.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM
i don't care what dez bryant runs...he does everything i need to see on tape...

once he does work out all this stuff will be put to bed cause he's gonna wow the scouts...

i remember this same kind of talk last year about michael crabtree (who i actually didn't have quite as high a rating on as i do dez bryant)...i bet any of you guys right now that despite all the drama involved in getting tree in camp last year the 9ers would to a man say they stole one with him at pick #10...STOLE HIM

none of this stuff phases me with dez bryant...he's the goods...and we need him BAD...i mean a PERFECT fit

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Nonetheless, to me a 4.71/4.74 at his Pro Day translates to a 4.81/4.84 Combine range, especially given the 0.08, 0.11 and 0.26 second improvements by his three teammates that ran in both places.

i would agree with that...yeppers

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 06:17 PM
What makes McClain's decision a little different is that he initially told everyone that he was going to do everything. And then suddenly, he wasn't.

But, upon this news that he has Crohn's and the slowest healing hamstring injury ever, maybe it is reasonable to think that he pulled out of the Combine for one of the above issues rather than having something to hide.

That's reasonable....but were his 3 teammates sick and having a bout with Crohn's disease?

We can add 5 seconds to his 40 time......he's the best ILB in the draft....with or without a 40 time...

Just like Dez Bryant is the best WR in the draft....with or without a 40 time...

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 06:19 PM
That's reasonable....but were his 3 teammates sick and having a bout with Crohn's disease?

We can add 5 seconds to his 40 time......he's the best ILB in the draft....with or without a 40 time...

Just like Dez Bryant is the best WR in the draft....with or without a 40 time...

i agree with that...absolutely

j-off-her-doll
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't know anyone with Crohn's, but I have a friend close enough to me to tell me some of the issues he/she has had with dating someone with the disease.

They can't go anywhere more than a couple hours from where they live without making special arrangements; they can't be anywhere away for over three hours without making special arrangements; they can't go out to dinner any night except for Friday, because he needs the weekend to recover from any little alterations to his diet.

It's a big deal.

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know anyone with Crohn's, but I have a friend close enough to me to tell me some of the issues he/she has had with dating someone with the disease.

They can't go anywhere more than a couple hours from where they live without making special arrangements; they can't be anywhere away for over three hours without making special arrangements; they can't go out to dinner any night except for Friday, because he needs the weekend to recover from any little alterations to his diet.

It's a big deal.

I feel bad for that person but from my experience, that is a pretty bad case of it. I know one person with Crohn's and she doesn't have it that bad. And I don't think David Garrard has it that bad.

But it is a serious issue to investigate, and I certainly don't agree with it being a "next question" type of nothing.

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
It's something he's dealt with since high school and he treats it with medication....it's never affected him in a football sense...

I'm sure teams will have a physician or something look into it....cases and severity of cases obviously differ...

al711
03-10-2010, 06:42 PM
It's something he's dealt with since high school and he treats it with medication....it's never affected him in a football sense...

I'm sure teams will have a physician or something look into it....cases and severity of cases obviously differ...

Exactly Ted we have three years worth of college games to look back on,I watched everyone of them(even the pay per views) and I can't remember an instance where McClain was out for any length of time, so he must have it under control.

roll tide by the way...

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Well, we don't know that it hasn't affected him in a football sense. Unfortunately now you never know whether what you see on the field if he's dogging it on a play or something is a product of his mentality as a player, or a product of the disease. One of the games where Daniel Jeremiah noticed he was loafing five times in a single game was the Auburn game. Was that a product of the hamstring injury a month earlier? Or was it just something he does? Or was it Crohn's acting up on him?

And the real danger is that the disease is getting worse. Doesn't matter if he's been able to play with it so far if the thing is getting worse, and on that front I'd be looking pretty skeptically at why he decided to suddenly pull out from all Combine activities after saying he would be a full participant. And now evidently the disease is getting bad enough he can't even complete a Pro Day.

A lot for the NFL to investigate. Hopefully their investigations go well. I wouldn't dismiss it just by pointing out that he's always played with it. There's a fairly strong possibility that he misses a season because he ends up needing a bunch of his intestines removed.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
"misses a season"... holy cow

i don't know much about the disease

Danny
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
ran a 4.74 but what's worst is he might be danage goods.Not sure if anyone posted it already but rotoworld said he was very tired and has some kind of problem since high school and it can be bad at any time.

rotoworld.com

Ozzy rules!!

Danny
03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Well, we don't know that it hasn't affected him in a football sense. Unfortunately now you never know whether what you see on the field if he's dogging it on a play or something is a product of his mentality as a player, or a product of the disease. One of the games where Daniel Jeremiah noticed he was loafing five times in a single game was the Auburn game. Was that a product of the hamstring injury a month earlier? Or was it just something he does? Or was it Crohn's acting up on him?

And the real danger is that the disease is getting worse. Doesn't matter if he's been able to play with it so far if the thing is getting worse, and on that front I'd be looking pretty skeptically at why he decided to suddenly pull out from all Combine activities after saying he would be a full participant. And now evidently the disease is getting bad enough he can't even complete a Pro Day.

A lot for the NFL to investigate. Hopefully their investigations go well. I wouldn't dismiss it just by pointing out that he's always played with it. There's a fairly strong possibility that he misses a season because he ends up needing a bunch of his intestines removed.

so glad someone sees it this way.Maybe our FO knew something or notice something and knew they better get Dansby in.Either way I don't think we ever intended to draft him anyway.I believe the pick will be OLB.

Ozzy rules!!

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM

I know you seem to hold this Daniel Jeremiah fella in high reguard....but I know every single one of these plays that he's talking about McClain "dogging it" in the Auburn game CK.....and they're plays where the runner had already gotten to the sidelines....or McClain accidentally collided with one of his own guys...or there were 5 other players that should have made the play instead....

He finished the Auburn game with double digit tackles, TFL's, a sack, a PBU, etc...and won SEC DPOW honors.....basically, Daniel is full of **** CK....

Maybe his hamstring was tight....maybe he didn't feel good......but it doesn't stop him...

I know he was sick before the NC game....Hell he had to take an IV before the game just to get on the field....

Brian Cushing ran a 4.79....James Laurinaitis ran a 4.72.....Rey Maualuga ran a 4.81 at the combine...then pulled up lame because he knew he was slow......then ran a 4.58 at his pro day.....talk about players improving their times at pro days? :lol:

So much for his 40 time, eh? McClain's stock is based on film....as it should be....

A flare up at an unfortunate time doesn't neccessarily mean that it's getting worse....it could be....but it doesn't mean that it is....could just be bad timing...

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 08:04 PM
What I truly hope is that he does not have a serious case of it at all.

Some questions come to mind for me, just out of plain ignorance, like how does Crohn's mesh with an athlete's diet? These guys put a lot of junk in their bodies, not PEDs but other stuff to help them put on and maintain muscle. Also their diets have to be a certain way and usually very strict. Is the disease a hindrance to that? Or could it actually be that the discipline a professional athlete imposes on his own diet is actually the best thing for the disease?

Questions abound. I hope everything's OK with him. I'm about to start my two weeks of re-watching and re-grading position by position. Now that I know he was supposedly ailing after the Tennessee game, maybe if I focus on the earlier games I'll come away with a better impression of him. Though, I have him solidly in the first round. The only reason I consider him overrated is because there are (or at least, were) people that keep telling me he's a top 5 talent and that Miami would be lucky if he fell as far as #12.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
lol...i never said top 5 talent...i said top 10...and i still think he is

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I know you seem to hold this Daniel Jeremiah fella in high reguard....but I know every single one of these plays that he's talking about McClain "dogging it" in the Auburn game CK.....and they're plays where the runner had already gotten to the sidelines....or McClain accidentally collided with one of his own guys...or there were 5 other players that should have made the play instead....

He finished the Auburn game with double digit tackles, TFL's, a sack, a PBU, etc...and won SEC DPOW honors.....basically, Daniel is full of **** CK....

Maybe his hamstring was tight....maybe he didn't feel good......but it doesn't stop him...

I know he was sick before the NC game....Hell he had to take an IV before the game just to get on the field....

Brian Cushing ran a 4.79....James Laurinaitis ran a 4.72.....Rey Maualuga ran a 4.81 at the combine...then pulled up lame because he knew he was slow......then ran a 4.58 at his pro day.....talk about players improving their times at pro days? :lol:

So much for his 40 time, eh? McClain's stock is based on film....as it should be....

A flare up at an unfortunate time doesn't neccessarily mean that it's getting worse....it could be....but it doesn't mean that it is....could just be bad timing...

He's not full of crap because before I even knew anything about Daniel Jeremiah or what he thought of McClain I watched the Auburn game and came away thinking it was really a bad game for McClain, and I don't care what kind of hollow weekly honor he got for his stats.

As for the times, if you care so much about the times why are you bringing them up? Since you did bring them up, let me tackle them. First off I'm not sure where the 4.79 comes from for Cushing because the one I have seen on file for him was a 4.64 with 1.54/2.62 splits. He then went to his Pro Day and re-ran a 4.66 with 1.58/2.71 splits. So immediately that casts a shadow on your conclusion that Maualuga's 40 time at the Combine, which most people didn't even record because he came up lame, was a 4.81 at the Combine and a 4.58 at his Pro Day simply because the USC surface was faster. When other teammates didn't even improve, but rather ran slower, then I think you have to say that the difference was because he was healthy for one and not for the other.

As for Laurinaitis, actually I have a 4.76 on file for him at the Combine with 1.59/2.75 splits so your time is flattering him a little. But if McClain only ends up as good as Laurinaitis, would you be happy with that? James was good as a rookie no doubt about that, but I didn't think he was extremely good. I didn't see him as a 3-4 Pro Bowl guy.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
laurinaitus is nothing special...meh...if anything i think he's overrated both in school and as a pro in that awful defense

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I think James is good, but right now he hasn't proven to me that he's one of "those" guys.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I think James is good, but right now he hasn't proven to me that he's one of "those" guys.

i don't see that in his future...

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
He's not full of crap because before I even knew anything about Daniel Jeremiah or what he thought of McClain I watched the Auburn game and came away thinking it was really a bad game for McClain, and I don't care what kind of hollow weekly honor he got for his stats.

As for the times, if you care so much about the times why are you bringing them up? Since you did bring them up, let me tackle them. First off I'm not sure where the 4.79 comes from for Cushing because the one I have seen on file for him was a 4.64 with 1.54/2.62 splits. He then went to his Pro Day and re-ran a 4.66 with 1.58/2.71 splits. So immediately that casts a shadow on your conclusion that Maualuga's 40 time at the Combine, which most people didn't even record because he came up lame, was a 4.81 at the Combine and a 4.58 at his Pro Day simply because the USC surface was faster. When other teammates didn't even improve, but rather ran slower, then I think you have to say that the difference was because he was healthy for one and not for the other.

As for Laurinaitis, actually I have a 4.76 on file for him at the Combine with 1.59/2.75 splits so your time is flattering him a little. But if McClain only ends up as good as Laurinaitis, would you be happy with that? James was good as a rookie no doubt about that, but I didn't think he was extremely good. I didn't see him as a 3-4 Pro Bowl guy.

4.72 was James pro day time...for comparison...since McClain didn't run at the combine....

4.66 is correct for Cushing....I was going off memory....which obviously isn't as good as it used to be...

I guess you could add a tenth for Rey's time at the combine if he was "healthy"....make it a clean 4.68......McClain is still the better prospect....and it's not all that close IMO....I wasn't real fond of Rey..

The other point is James is playing in a 4-3 defense with that 4.72/4.76 time.....which is plenty....

McClain is a better prospect than James....and he'll be a better pro....where did I say I'd be happy if he's as good as James?

Boomer
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
A 4.71 for McClain is really a 4.61 when you take in those instincts. Plus, you watch that Jeff Demps 2nd quarter sweep to the weakside that he runs down and you tell me if he's a 4.8 forty guy.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
A 4.71 for McClain is really a 4.61 when you take in those instincts. Plus, you watch that Jeff Demps 2nd quarter sweep to the weakside that he runs down and you tell me if he's a 4.8 forty guy.

yeah that was no 4.8 i saw on that demps play...that was sick stuff

TedSlimmJr
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Not only that...but if you WATCHED him in the drills today.....he NEVER takes a SINGLE false step to get started....in either direction......it's instant acceleration in the CORRECT direction....and that's in drills when he has no idea which way the coach is going to send him....

When you factor in that he knows what's coming most of the time on game day....it's makes his effective game speed even better.....

It's like watching Jerry Hughes first few steps to get started in his pass rush....it's so smooth....no twitching...no false steps....nothing....just pure acceleration over a short distance....

There's a whole bunch of LB's that go 100mph.....but it's in the wrong direction sometimes.....or overpursue and leave cutback lanes when they're going in the right direction...

#1dolphinsfan
03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Could McClain play SOLB because if he can I think he would be a good pick up

Namor
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Could McClain play SOLB because if he can I think he would be a good pick up

My take is...Move Dansby to the outside,draft McClain,put him besides
Crowder....hope Cody falls to the second...Bam...much better defense.

..oh yea..sneak in a new saftey and wideout somewhere...