PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper responds to Dez Bryant at #12

miamifin54
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
So I had a chance today to chat with Mel Kiper via the ESPN blogs...Here's what he had to say about Dez Bryant.

My question:
What do you think about the dolphins taking Dez Bryant at #12 if he's
available? I've heard that his work ethic is not the best?

Mel Kiper

(1:02 PM)

That's the question with Dez. Will he be a guy that's consistent and dependable? Can he thrive when things aren't going well? We saw that with Brandon Marshall last year. Randy Moss when he didn't play on great teams. You hope he's not going to be in that realm. But I think he'll be gone before Miami. I thought maybe Buffalo, but I think they lock into a OT. Denver at 11, if they move Marshall, might be looking for a WR.

miamifin54
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
this was thru the espn online chat

Tiko377
03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
a lot of mights..... from kiper .... no one will know what happens, for all we know marshall could get a extension from the broncos if he does they wont get bryant.

mrodriguez4096
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Thank you for that. The draft bares watching depending on what we have done leading to that.

I for one would be happy if the FO feels that Dez is what they want, assuming he is there at 12.

Chubby
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Off the field issues or not I do not think the fins would take him even if he was there at 12. The need for OLB is a little greater then #1 WR right now imo.
They know its a top priority but just not the 1st priority. It will be addressed as the NT and FS are addressed as well.

Just for the record I like the kid and do think he has the possibility of being a good WR in this league.
Chubbs

ChadHenne
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
The Browns are another team that may take Bryant.

However, I think the team that stands between us and Dez are the Denver Broncos. If they drop Marshall, he's theres. If they don't, then the Dolphins will have to decide whether his "character issues" are worth it.

Honestly, the Dolphins have got to take Dez Bryant at #12 if available. It would just be wrong if we don't.

Aqua and Orange
03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Honestly, the Dolphins have got to take Dez Bryant at #12 if available. It would just be wrong if we don't.

It will be fun to see Ireland and Sparano tell the Dolphins fans "Hey we need the thumbs to go in THIS direction" when they pass on Dez Bryant for someone like Sergio Kindle.

This offseason is the tip off: Parcells thinks WRs are a dime a dozen.

Bopkin02
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
So, let me pose a question: Everyone's got a huge HO for Dez Bryant, all this debate about him worth the 12th pick. Let's say we go OLB(Kindle, Griffin,Graham) at 12; then we go WR in Round 2, with Benn, Lafell, Thomas, Decker, Gillyard hypothetically all there. What is the difference/drop off between Bryant and this next level? If there are questions about Bryant's maturity and work ethic, is he that much more physically gifted than these other 5 guys that Kindle/Griffin/Graham in rd one and then perhaps Thomas in 2 wouldn't be the better choice, if the drop-off from Bryant to Thomas is negligible?

JFoxx
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM
It will be fun to see Ireland and Sparano tell the Dolphins fans "Hey we need the thumbs to go in THIS direction" when they pass on Dez Bryant for someone like Sergio Kindle.

This offseason is the tip off: Parcells thinks WRs are a dime a dozen.

You're killing me with that flashback. The Teddy Ginn Jr. experiment continues. "he's going to be a great return guy". Don't you mean WR? Guess even Cam knew better than to call him a WR back then. Funny thing is (not that we want him now) sounds like Quinn is available from Cleveland. HA!

Phinatic8u
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
So, let me pose a question: Everyone's got a huge HO for Dez Bryant, all this debate about him worth the 12th pick. Let's say we go OLB(Kindle, Griffin,Graham) at 12; then we go WR in Round 2, with Benn, Lafell, Thomas, Decker, Gillyard hypothetically all there. What is the difference/drop off between Bryant and this next level? If there are questions about Bryant's maturity and work ethic, is he that much more physically gifted than these other 5 guys that Kindle/Griffin/Graham in rd one and then perhaps Thomas in 2 wouldn't be the better choice, if the drop-off from Bryant to Thomas is negligible?

The Drop off is huge. Bryant is a Marshall, Johnson type WR. Physical & loves to go for the ball. I would love him in a Phins UNI.

finfan54
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
The Drop off is huge. Bryant is a Marshall, Johnson type WR. Physical & loves to go for the ball. I would love him in a Phins UNI.

yeah, he would love to go for the ball....by game 6 he should be signed.

auqa alliance
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
If he's there please take him, It could change the offence drastically

Zounds
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I dont understand all the comparisons to Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall. Dez Bryant is no sure thing. He could be the next Charles Rogers for all we know. Too risky of a pick at 12 imo, but I know most will disagree.

Danny
03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
not as easy as it seems.The FO doesn't like problem players(or at least potentially problem) and it's hard to imagine a Parcells team that does not take a LB in round 1 for 3 years in a row.If I had to bet on it I'd say we're going OLB with our top pick and WR in round 2 where there will be at least 2 or 3 guys capable of helping us this coming season.

Ozzy rules!!

Aqua and Orange
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
You're killing me with that flashback. The Teddy Ginn Jr. experiment continues. "he's going to be a great return guy". Don't you mean WR? Guess even Cam knew better than to call him a WR back then. Funny thing is (not that we want him now) sounds like Quinn is available from Cleveland. HA!

I totally thought the same thing, seeing that Quinn is available. Sigh...what a horrible, horrible draft. I personally have flashbacks of Beck in his house, seeing that he was drafted, and amazed to see he is on national television.

Rich22
03-10-2010, 07:18 PM
With the holes to fill at LB and NT how can you go with Bryant at #12. You have to get a sure thing with that pick. He did NOT play this year because he is an idiot! He did the wrong thing and then lied about it. He has a bad work ethic as well.

This FO doesn't value WR with high picks so why the heck would they take this kid. Makes less than zero sense.

I think they go either safety with Berry or Thomas, Williams at NT or they grab an OLB and who is a big ? at this point IMO. Seems like a no brainer depending on if a safety is there. They HAVE to get a NT so they question is can they risk waiting until the 2nd rd. IMO the Fergie signing may be a smoke screen for the draft. Otherwise what's the point in signing him now. He is unavailable to play anyways.

NRA
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
The need for OLB is a little greater then #1 WR right now imo

CHUBBY: really? you must not know that last year our vaunted wr's
only came up with 8 total td's, for the WHOLE SEASON!!

mediocre wr's get that in a year by themselves!

he with the most points wins. in every game ever played in the
nfl, the team with the MOST points at the end won.

miami cant score points.

so how is olb a much bigger need than a point scoring, dominant
wr?

is there an olb i am missing that will score 8 to 10 td's a year for
us? who dat?

if dez is gone and we dont trade for marshall then OLB is the most
glaring need and BRANDON GRAHAM should HANDS DOWN be our
pic at #12. i wouldnt cry if they took golden tate at that spot either
as he may just end up being the best wr to come out of this draft.

8 tds for a WHOLE wr squad in a year. come on man!

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
i counted 5 or less tds from our wr squad last year as a whole...yet people think wr is not that big of a need...lol

crazy talk

FinsFanatic777
03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
i counted 5 or less tds from our wr squad last year as a whole...yet people think wr is not that big of a need...lol

crazy talk

Just because you don't get a lot of TD's as a WR does not make you a bad WR... Andre Johnson and Wes Welker have never hit double digit TD's, and Brandon Marshall has only hit double digits once despite catching 100+ balls the past three years.

Give the receivers some time. If we take Dez Bryant we're looking at him being an impact in anywhere around 2-4 years.

There are only two options I would like in the draft with the first round pick.
1) Draft Earl Thomas. Assuming Berry is gone, and we need a FS badly since Gibril got cut and Ryan Clark rejoined the Steelers.
2) Trade the pick for Brandon Marshall. Everyone wants Dez Bryant, but IMO Dez Bryant will NEVER have the kind of production that Marshall has. We're not even sure if Bryant will even turn out to be a good receiver. Marshall is the sure thing, and there's no question about his game, only off the field issues. Name one player at 12 that is better than Marshall...

NRA
03-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Williams at NT

RICH: so you would rather have a rookie who has NEVER been a NT
in his life, a 4-3 DT who could only bench 22 reps at the combine, and
you would spend a #12 over all on that rather than a guy who goes
to pro bowls and has proven himself above and beyond in the nfl
already?

why? hmmm, pro bowl, young player at a CRITICAL NEED, or a guy
who you would TRY to convert into a position he has NEVER played
and lacks the most important ingredient of being an nfl NT........

STRENGTH!!

wow. really?

your talking like he is some cancer. the guys who he plays with love him
and he has never caused any locker room decention like t.o. constantly
did. and who else hasnt wanted out of JOSH MCDANIELS comedy camp?

when any of the broncos get a chance these days, there LONG GONE!

dude wanted a better deal after 2 pro bowl appearances and 100 catch
seasons. thats not a problem child to me. thats a young guy trying to
get the bank he deserves in a free agent/franchise player leauge before
he is hurt or some cap comes into play where he wont have a chance
for it. [yeah, yeah, tell me all about it after the strike next year]

i can over look that if he signs a contract he really likes and plays like he has
in his first 3 years. dude is in great physical shape and you can tell he loves
to compete. i just dont see all this blown out attitude, bad egg, cancer crap
that is being heaped on him by MIAMI FANS!!!!

hey, i'll take a wr who is 6'4" and 230lbs and runs a 4.2 flat and is a minister in
his church who gives all his money to charities and plays for the leauge minimum.

but untill that....... BRING ME BRANDON MARSHALL!!!!! ["attitude" and all]

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Just because you don't get a lot of TD's as a WR does not make you a bad WR... Andre Johnson and Wes Welker have never hit double digit TD's, and Brandon Marshall has only hit double digits once despite catching 100+ balls the past three years.

Give the receivers some time. If we take Dez Bryant we're looking at him being an impact in anywhere around 2-4 years.

1) Draft Earl Thomas. Assuming Berry is gone, and we need a FS badly since Gibril got cut and Ryan Clark rejoined the Steelers.
2) Trade the pick for Brandon Marshall. Everyone wants Dez Bryant, but IMO Dez Bryant will NEVER have the kind of production that Marshall has. We're not even sure if Bryant will even turn out to be a good receiver. Marshall is the sure thing, and there's no question about his game, only off the field issues. Name one player at 12 that is better than Marshall...

give what wrs some time??? that craptacular unit of #2's (generous really) and #3's we got right now...

who's the andre johnson or brandon marshall in waiting on our current 53??? that's a joke

will this offense EVER get some damn playmakers...and some chunk yards!!!

arghh...

2413fanphins
03-10-2010, 10:47 PM

yeah, they maybe haven't cracked double digit TD's, but he said our wr corps AS A WHOLE had five.

I really can't grasp why we won't just give up the 12th overall for arguably the third best WR in the leauge. top five WR hands down.

milldog
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
IMO we have to draft either NT,FS, or LB. We have gaping holes on D. Our offense is no juggernaut but with another year in the books, have to think our wr corp will get better. I mean, come on, the freakin Jets proved that a Defense will take you to the playoffs while the Saints proved you needed a potent offense as well to win rings. As much as I'd love to believe Dez will be the real deal, which he just might, we can't afford to gamble on him with the 12th pick, especially if there's a Berry or a Graham on the table. I really wanted Anquan and thought we could have easily done the same trade the Ravens did. I really don't think our FO guys will draft wr at 12. We need to build a tough as nails D that will be around for years to come and build our wr corp as smart as possible. Maybe they'll go after Marshall but with the way they've handled the other wr's in this years free agency so far, I wouldn't bet on it.