PDA

View Full Version : Do we all agree that NT is most wanted position in the DRAFT?!?!

BESS4LAST
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Why do some of you guys think that we can just wait for a starting NT til the 2nd round? About half the teams now are running 3-4 and most of them could use a NT like we do. I'll say it right now that CODY and Cam Thomas wont be there in 2nd. Dan Williams is my pick @ # 12.

al711
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
He&& no!!!! Dan Williams is the most overated NT in the draft...his Vols gave up 282 to Dexter! Cody's tide gave up 16 to Dexter,man lets go with players that make things happen on the field rather than workout warriors and underware models, draft FOOTBALL players...if we take NT at twelve I want Cody

Valandui
03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
No. Soliai has gotten better every season and I think that trend will continue. We need OLBs pretty badly. We will most likely take a late round NT to develop over time as that is the Tuna's MO.

DcRy82
03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
That's BP's MO.. That's great, but what about Ireland and Sparano's MO? Cuz they will be making the decision, not BP. Pretty sure BP didnt pick Pat White. Pretty sure BP didnt pick a CB in the first round either. In fact when is the last time we drafted a LB in the first 3 rounds since BP has been here?? I thought drafting LB's was BP's MO... We havent drafted ANY. We signed Cam Wake, that's it. Everyone talks about what BP did or does and we havent done ANYTHING that he is known for since he's been here.

j-off-her-doll
03-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Absolutely not.

We draft two OLB's in the first four rounds, and after that, FS is more important.

Oraclepz
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Why do some of you guys think that we can just wait for a starting NT til the 2nd round? About half the teams now are running 3-4 and most of them could use a NT like we do. I'll say it right now that CODY and Cam Thomas wont be there in 2nd. Dan Williams is my pick @ # 12.

NT is probably the most important position of need but Solial is adequate and like some one said keeps improving.

The matter of the fact is that there isnt a Haloti Ngata in this draft to warrant that high of a selection. So thats why you hear about people picking up a NT in the second round.

Danny
03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I doubt we take a NT at 12. Lots of NT's have been drafted late and develop.Soliai did play pretty good last year.Not saying he'll be an all pro but I believe they'll go with him plus a rookie drafted later on but our pick in round one will be an OLB.

Ozzy rules!!

Aqua and Orange
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I personally agree NT is the greatest area of need right now, but our draft position would warrant us addressing it in round 2 or later. If we go LB or WR (yeah right) at pick 12 I will be elated.

Clipse
03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
When has Parcells ever taken a NT high? I doubt this year is any different. We will probably take some under the radar small school NT in the later rounds.

Boomer
03-10-2010, 08:08 PM
If we pick a NT before R4 I'll be surprised.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
If we pick a NT before R4 I'll be surprised.

interesting...who do you think would be on our list mid to late??? i'm not huge on cam thomas or cody but i think they'll go to 2 nose needy teams in the first 3 rounds at least...

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think we'll pick one at all unless it's Cam Thomas. And that's only because I consider there to be a healthy chance that the guy from North Carolina that Jeff Ireland told you he loved was Cam after all and not Marvin Austin.

SR 7
03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't think we'll pick one at all unless it's Cam Thomas. And that's only because I consider there to be a healthy chance that the guy from North Carolina that Jeff Ireland told you he loved was Cam after all and not Marvin Austin.

you dont see us picking a NT at all in the whole draft? Thats hard to believe.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
yep...that's my thought... cam thomas is the guy if we take one...

but the question is if we don't take one we gonna depend on solai as the starter the first half the season and then depend on fergie and solai the 2nd half and in the postseason should we make it???

risky stuff there

Boomer
03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
interesting...who do you think would be on our list mid to late??? i'm not huge on cam thomas or cody but i think they'll go to 2 nose needy teams in the first 3 rounds at least...

I agree with Chris about the Camn Thomnas quote Jeff made to you. I think Kade Weston is an interesting guy. Mike Neal, although he clearly won't last that long. I like Cordarrow Thompson of Virginia Tech a lot.

NRA
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
most "WANTED", maybe. only of course by teams who run a
3-4 defense and DONT have a quality nose tackle.

but if its a bad year for NT's, you dont take one at #12.

terrance cody is the ONLY bonafide NT in this draft that has
played and dominated at the poition. ONLY his weight is a
concern [but i am not that concerned].

so if a 3-4 team is in BAD, BAD SHAPE at the NT position and they
have it as there overall most critical need than you better draft
cody and not some hopeful project that has never played the position.

i know many want DAN WILLIAMS for a NT for some reason and that would
be fine if he was a 3rd round choice and you wanted to try and convert him, but
at the #12 spot, you dont take a guy who hasnt played the position and has
MAJOR strength concerns [only 22 reps at the combine...ouch!!].

its just funny to me how all of a sudden when someone mentions williams
on the board they have NT next to his name. he is NOT a NT, he is a DT
from a 4-3 scheme and should be drafted as that by a 4-3 team. expecially
if they are concidering him in the 1st or 2nd round.

its like talking about a player to be drafted who has been a career safety
and putting cb after his name all the time.

hopin' and a wishin' is not what you do picking hi in the draft. if the finz are
thinking about him as a NT, they damned better not be taking him in the 1st
or second round.

it would be REDICULOUS!!!!!

BESS4LAST
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree with Chris about the Camn Thomnas quote Jeff made to you. I think Kade Weston is an interesting guy. Mike Neal, although he clearly won't last that long. I like Cordarrow Thompson of Virginia Tech a lot.
So you're saying that the dolphins are happy with what they got at NT and are only interested in drafting Cam Thomas if hes available in round 2.:confused:

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
umm...there's plenty of holes in terrence cody's tape...especially once he gets winded...which doesn't take long

NRA
03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
He&& no!!!! Dan Williams is the most overated NT in the draft

AL: not so. not at all. dan williams isnt a NT, he is a DT and played his
whole career at DT in a 4-3 scheme.

you cant be over rated at something that your not!

PhinPhan910
03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think there is a NT good enough for the 12th overall and maybe even the first round. Dan Williams is overrated and is a DT, not a NT.

For the nose, I would look at cam thomas, linval joseph, and someone nobody is talking about: Boo Robinson.

hooshoops
03-10-2010, 08:59 PM
boo robinson is no nose tackle...what the heck

NRA
03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
umm...there's plenty of holes in terrence cody's tape...especially once he gets winded...which doesn't take long

HOOPS: and he should be winded at 370lbs. and those "holes" in his game are
with out a doubt a bi product of being that large.

cody said that he was going to address his weight and knows that he cant play
and dominate at that weight in the nfl. terrrance showed up at the combine and
shed 30lbs since the senior bowl. so far, he is keeping his word.

of course, ANY team is going to put a SERIOUS weight clause in his contract. and,
if he tends to his weight like he has and keeps on, after bills weights and strength
conditioning program and 2 a days in the florida heat, i dont see 370lbs anymore
and i see his winded problem getting much better, and soon!

what i am saying is, if a team is going to force themselves to take a NT early, then
the only real NT at this point is cody. you take him, not a hopeful, maybe, DT
convert.

i'll take an experianced, dominant guy with a weight issue over a project/conversion ANY time with a hi first round pic.

Mr. Magoo
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm working on a comprehensive review of the drafts under Mike Nolan's defensive coordinatorship (not that that's a word).

Suffice to say that after working on it, it's clear that Nolan does not feel NT is a position you take care of early in the draft or throw many resources at even later in the draft. In 17 years as a defensive coordinator, his teams have only taken 4 nose tackles... total.

When he goes to a team that has one, he usually sticks with them. And if they don't have one, those teams have generally gone to free agency.

Defensive ends, on the other hand.... Whew. He loves those guys.

newlownorder
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
NT is not the biggest need or most wanted position. Late round pick for NT to be a backup to Soliai/possible replacement for Soliai. I stated before that as of right now I expect the dolphins to go:
1)FS (Thomas)
2) WR (Best Available)
3) OLB (best available) or TE (Jimmy Graham)
4) LB (best available)

Boomer
03-11-2010, 08:25 AM
So you're saying that the dolphins are happy with what they got at NT and are only interested in drafting Cam Thomas if hes available in round 2.:confused:

Nope. Not saying that at all. What you have to remember is that Nolan's 3-4 will look a lot like a 4-3 at times. So you'll see a lot of Starks and McDaniel next to Soliai, who's a player on the rise. Plus, Ferguson will be back in week 8. Dan Williams is inconsistent, essentially a 1 year wonder who's a 2 down player with previous weight issues. Doesn't sound like a Jeff Ireland guy to me. Cody we know all about, but in R2 might be an option. But clearly there is an interest in a DT from NC. That may have been Marvin Austin - and God knows, he's a great player - but it also, given his size, was probably Thomas.

What I think is that NT generally isn't the great problem people are making it out to be.

ColonelJ
03-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Love the motor of Dan Williams. I am just not sure he can be a true NT for us. A good player to have for sure.