PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: McClain has Crohns disease

VaFinsFan84
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Just saw this on nfl.com sorry if its already been posted.. does this change his value for our first round pick?

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama LB Rolando McClain, who was projected to be the first player taken at his position and a top-15 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, revealed Wednesday following his pro day workout that he suffers from Crohn’s disease.
After completing the session of linebacker drills, a fatigued McClain knelt down on a knee and held his stomach. He later revealed that his discomfort probably stemmed from his Crohn’s disease, which he said was diagnosed when he was in ninth grade.
McClain said he treats the condition – an inflammatory disease of the intestines — with seven or eight pills daily. McClain never missed a game at Alabama or had to leave a game because of the condition, according to his agent, Pat Dye Jr.
NFL teams are aware of the disease, Dye said, adding that McClain hasn’t tried to hide it. Dye added that no teams expressed any concern about McClain’s health to him.
Jaguars QB David Garrard also has Crohn’s disease and has been outspoken about his condition.

BigJP
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Good question, I know david garrard has it also and he plays if you wanna call it that!

ebozzz
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
My wife has Crohn's and thank God for the fact that she has been doing well for several years. The first 5 years or so after she was diagnosed were hard. As long as he does what he is supposed to do medically and keeps it under control, he will be fine. If it becomes problematic, he can be out for a while....

Dolphin39
03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
People can die from complications from Crohns Disease; it can be terrible.

flynryan15
03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
The kid has overcome a lot in his life to get where he is! That is heart and desire!

ebozzz
03-10-2010, 09:04 PM

He wants to try to avoid surgery if at all possible. If they start removing intestines as means of treating the disease.......

BassFin
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
My little bro has Chrohn's disease. It's not an easy disease to deal with. It can be very painful and it drains your energy. It also inhibits the body's ability to absorb nutrients. It's hard for him to keep on weight. He's in good shape but he doesn't have anywhere close to the physical strain on him pro football players do. Seeing how it's affected my bro, I'd be hesitant to pick McClain. I feel bad for the guy. He's one tough SOB to keep it under wraps so long.

ckparrothead
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
From what I can tell, opinions on this subject are very mixed. Most everyone agrees that getting the treatment right is critical, and since he's been diagnosed since early high school I would say that the chances are good he's settled into a treatment plan. However, opinions vary widely after that. Some point to the fact that things can change with the disease. Others like BassFin here point to how it affects your ability to absorb nutrients and maintain an NFL body. More point to examples of how debilitating the disease can be and others point to how some people live very normal lives. On another board I won't say his name but one doctor who spent a good part of his career treating and researching cures for the disease says to absolutely stay away from the guy in the first round if he's got it.

This one is not going to be easy for the NFL folks to judge, even when the doctors do have all of the information in hand. Based on what I've heard from people that have the disease, people close to people that have the disease, and people who treat the disease, I believe that some teams will definitely ding McClain significantly on this one.

I believe that Rolando does have a good spirit and if he can overcome it, he will. But, that's not necessarily going to give the man explosiveness or athleticism that isn't there. We'll just have to see.

rev kev
03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Crohn's is a very very sketchy disease - I've had close freinds whose lives are pretty much on a daily flux - because of it..., with this news I wouldn't draft a player... even a McClain - pro teams have to look at long term risk assessments...

I wish Ro the best - however

3rdandinches
03-11-2010, 12:48 AM
A person I'm close with has it and it can be almost completely be controlled through your diet. There is no reason, let alone documment information limiting an athlete from performing at a high level because of it. She has been off meds for quite awhile now with no real effects, if anything some of the meds (high dose of prednisone) made things worse for her. Diet seems to be the big influence with flare ups, when she eats foods that really should be avoided is when she gets pains, severe pains.

McClain has been highly successful with it through college so why all of a sudden it would effect his pro career is nonsense. McClain will have the best nutritionest available to help him avoid foods that react flair ups, which I'm sure he already does.

She has been through a few surgeries, one even when she was pregnant with child. Crohns does not restrict her from doing anything and this is a disease she's had for almost 30 years. Avoiding wheat(glutens), dairy(lactose) and tomatoe based foods is an important start and drinking lots of fluids and multivitamins to replace nutrients lost is extremely important.

I'm no expert but this is what I know about Crohn's from having been so close to it and in my opinion it wouldn't make me shy away from drafting McClain. If anything knowing how discplined he needs to be would make him even more attractive as our selection. You can see a direct correlation between his discpline in studing the game to his discline in his diet and management of this disease.

rev kev
03-11-2010, 12:52 AM
A person I'm close with has it and it can be almost completely be controlled through your diet. There is no reason, let alone documment information limiting an athlete from performing at a high level because of it. She has been off meds for quite awhile now with no real effects, if anything some of the meds (high dose of prednisone) made things worse for her. Diet seems to be the big influence with flare ups, when she eats foods that really should be avoided is when she gets pains, severe pains.

McClain has been highly successful with it through college so why all of a sudden it would effect his pro career is nonsense. McClain will have the best nutritionest available to help him avoid foods that react flair ups, which I'm sure he already does.

She has been through a few surgeries, one even when she was pregnant with child. Crohns does not restrict her from doing anything and this is a disease she's had for almost 30 years. Avoiding wheat(glutens), dairy(lactose) and tomatoe based foods is an important start and drinking lots of fluids and multivitamins to replace nutrients lost is extremely important.

I'm no expert but this is what I know about Crohn's from having been so close to it and in my opinion it wouldn't make me shy away from drafting McClain. If anything knowing how discplined he needs to be would make him even more attractive as our selection. You can see a direct correlation between his discpline in studing the game to his discline in his diet and management of this disease.

While I agree - about the diet - the disease is also triggered by disruptions to schedules and regimens like sleep, work, and stress this by no means exhausts the countless aspects that can come into play that are not dietary

kwill29
03-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't have Crohn's but I've had load of GI tract problems. Finally lately I've got a doctor whose not a complete moron and come to find out my Gallbladder wasn't functioning right, im due to get it out soon. But anyway, I play hockey and have been doing so at a very high level since ever since I've been having stomach problems. It's all about the diet, if he watches what he eats he'll be fine. Like 3rdandinches said, avoid tomatoes, wheat, dairy, caffeine, chocolate, red meat, greasy foods, and stuff like that. If he wants he can truley control it and perform at a very high level.

3rdandinches
03-11-2010, 01:13 AM
While I agree - about the diet - the disease is also triggered by disruptions to schedules and regimens like sleep, work, and stress this by no means exhausts the countless aspects that can come into play that are not dietary

Stress is actually a huge factor in triggering flare ups. In our lives we see the most effects through diet and stress. Lack of sleep never effected her, she has children and probably can't remember the last time she has had a full nights sleep. Work is questionable unless it is a stressful environment.

Please don't think I'm trying to say this is the way things are with Crohns disease, I can only imagine it affects people differently. I'm only sharing some personal experience with the disease. Stress and food have always created instant reactions for her, right after eating the wrong foods she could be hunched over in greater pain then giving birth....her words.

Crohns disease is really an unknown disease, not enough research has been done thus not enough is known about it.

ckparrothead
03-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Another doctor that chimed in on the subject on another board says that one issue with this disease is in an athlete, if you have Crohn's disease and you're on corticosteroids for treatment, you're at a high risk for avascular necrosis, most commonly in the hip. If you develop AVN, that's the end of your career. Bo Jackson's career was ended by AVN.

Buff
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM

true, my aunt died about 10 years ago from the disease. My oldest cousin has it, my youngest cousin also has it & my son has ceoliac disease, which also effects the stomach.

However, the medical research & treatment available now is much better than 20 years prior when it diagnosed in my aunt, and it allows people to lead a pretty normal life. Whilst still serious, with treatment, it's more of an inconvienience than a major issue nowadays.

If he played top level college, then the NFL should be OK. He is still a 1st round pick....

rev kev
03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Stress is actually a huge factor in triggering flare ups. In our lives we see the most effects through diet and stress. Lack of sleep never effected her, she has children and probably can't remember the last time she has had a full nights sleep. Work is questionable unless it is a stressful environment.

Please don't think I'm trying to say this is the way things are with Crohns disease, I can only imagine it affects people differently. I'm only sharing some personal experience with the disease. Stress and food have always created instant reactions for her, right after eating the wrong foods she could be hunched over in greater pain then giving birth....her words.

Crohns disease is really an unknown disease, not enough research has been done thus not enough is known about it.

My roomate had to structure his whole life around the disease and for him even sleep was important - he lived a bit robotically this was about 15 years ago - medical treatment has had to improve but the #12 overall pick!! Yikes!!

Mcganiel
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Check this out guys and now its showing on the field. I have a good friend that died from this at the age of 39, my buddy was a motocross racer and was in outstanding shape and it still took his life. His stock is going to fall.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20100311/SPORTS0401/3110351/1002/sports/ALABAMA-FOOTBALL-McClain-says-he-has-Crohn-s-disease

foozool13
03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
MODS PLZ MERGE

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f75/mcclain-has-crohns-disease-271667.html

Mcganiel
03-11-2010, 12:37 PM
MODS PLZ MERGE

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f75/mcclain-has-crohns-disease-271667.html

man i even did a search for crohns and got nothing back. merg it!

Danny
03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't see us drafting him anyway...the only way this could affect us is this....if the broncos are looking at him and Dez Bryant then they might decide to just go for Bryant...not saying we'd take the WR if he's there.Just saying that the broncos need LB help too and it could be that they like him but might not take him at 12 if they're worry that this could be a problem.

Ozzy rules!!