PDA

View Full Version : Miami's Big Board

AdamC13
03-10-2010, 10:51 PM
With the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Miami Dolphins select _____?

All off season I have seen Miami will take this guy or will take that guy, but the reality is unless you have the 1st pick in the NFL draft the player you covet the most may be gone. When it comes to picking in the 1st round Miami will have it’s big board completed and will probably anxiously await to see which player they have highest rated that falls to them. With that in mind the big board is designed with both value and need in mind. The good news is Miami has a lot of holes to fill and should have a lot of players to choose from that also meet the criteria for value. The bad new…well…Miami has a lot of holes to fill.

So I don’t think it is realistic to say Miami will definitely address OLB with the 12th pick in the draft if let's say Berry is still around. Miami would then wait until the 2nd round. Unless, there is a WR that offers too much value at #43 and then they wait until round 3 or fill the hole with a veteran player in FA and wait until next years draft (not likely). The positions obviously needed to fill holes as of now are NT, OLB, FS, WR in no particular order. TE could also be upgraded but I don’t see them spending #12 on Gresham. Sparano is an OL guy and a team can never have enough depth there but Miami will not spend their top pick on a player like Lupati at G who may offer value but not even close to the highest need on team.

I feel it is also safe to say in the 11 picks ahead of Miami, based on team needs, a minimum of 4 and more likely 5 picks will go toward selecting either a QB or LT. Obviously Miami is set at those positions and will not have players at those positions on their big board. So essentially Miami should be able to draft their #7 or #8 player on their big board at worst. I have included what I think Miami’s top 14 are on their big board and that would cover any trade down Miami makes during the 1st round if they were to drop down as low as pick #20.

The following is my best guess as to what Miami’s big board is if the draft were tomorrow. Of course, that could change based on Pro Day’s, FA signings, background checks, etc…

1. Ndamukong Suh – DT (One of the most highly rated DL coming out of the draft in years. Suh could go with the first pick, but Rams off season moves indicate they may be targeting QB with the top overall pick. Regardless, Suh will certainly be long gone by the time Miami picks at #12. Only possibility for Miami to end up with Suh, barring injury or unforeseen scandal, will be if Suh drops several spots due to teams at the top of the draft feeling the need to address QB or OL and Miami would still have to trade up to get him. Not likely, but has to be right at the top of Miami’s big board).

2. Gerald McCoy – DT (See Suh…Ditto).

3. Eric Berry – S (I think most Miami fans would have OLB or WR as the team’s top need. However, Berry may be of such value that Miami could not pass him up if he were to drop down to #12. The OLB position is much deeper than S and Miami’s decision makers may feel Berry and the best available OLB in round 2 would be better fill the teams needs than their top pick at OLB and addressing the S position in round 2 or beyond. If Miami does not address S in round 1, Taylor Mays would likely be the top S left when it is Miami’s turn to pick again. Although Mays is a physical specimen and can really lay an opponent out on occasion his coverage skills and instinct may leave fans saying “What was the point of cutting Wilson if we drafted his clone anyways?”)

4. Dez Bryant – WR (Miami has needed a true #1 for some time and Bryant could fill that need. Bryant would certainly help Miami stretch the opponent’s defense, keep them honest, and help Henne achieve elite status at the QB position. Also, #1 WR’s are usually drafted, not traded for, and in the 1st round. Bryant is a top 5 talent who may not be around at pick #12. However, hamstring injury and maturity issues may have Bryant falling on team’s big boards and even off some. Particularly teams at the top of the draft who may not want to spend big bucks on such a risk. Bryant would best be served to go to a team with a veteran presence at WR who can mentor him and hopefully show him how to be a professional, similar to Moss when he was drafted by the Vikings. Does Miami have such a player to mentor Bryant at WR?)

5. Brandon Graham – DE (Honestly, I have no idea who is Miami’s top OLB or DE to be converted to OLB but I know who mine is. Although Graham may not be the physical freak Jason Pierre-Paul or Everson Griffin his performance during Senior Bowl week makes him the best bet to be a sure thing. Since Miami’s coaches were there for the Senior Bowl I think that would give him the upper hand over the players not there. Reports are he compares favorably with LaMarr Woodley who mentored him when both were at Michigan. Graham is committed to working hard. Definitely a Parcells/Sparano type of player.)

6. Jason Pierre-Paul – DE (Why would Miami spend the #12 pick on a player with only a half a year of playing time at the major college level? Watch…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-1e6Faglw
...A cartwheel into 13 consecutive back flips. Are you F’n kidding me. I don’t think Jevon Kearse will take a Shaq-like attitude and have a problem accepting there is a new “FREAK” in the NFL. If Miami were to draft Pierre-Paul then Nolan could devise a package called the "back flip blitz" and have Jason back flip over the OL and land on the QB…enough said!)

7. CJ Spiller – RB (If this were 2011 Spiller would be climbing up Miami’s big board. More of a luxury pick in 2010. Ronnie Brown is almost guaranteed to be back with Miami and should be fully recovered from injury. RW is committed to playing another year and when R & R were healthy in the beginning of last year they formed one of the top, if not the top, tandems in the league. Still, Spiller’s playmaking ability is intriguing for a team that struggles to make big plays.)

8. Everson Griffin – DE (Has all the physical tools to make the conversion to OLB. Griffin has been labeled as being inconsistent and lacking discipline. At pick #12 he may be too much of a risk. Then again, players of his physical abilities are rare to come by at #12.)

9. Jerry Hughes – OLB (Very productive last two years totaling 26.5 sacks. Hughes would fit the bill as a rush LB in a 3-4. He is quick and explosive, can drop into coverage, and has a good work ethic.)

10. Sergio Kindle – OLB (Lined up at both DE and LB at Texas. Overall production increased as senior, but sacks dropped from 10 to 5.5 as teams double teamed him with Orakpo going pro last year. Kindle played well in BCS Championship game. Many of the early mocks had Kindle going to Miami at #12, but he has not tested as well as others and appears to have dropped in value. Not out of the question, but can’t see Kindle going being the top OLB prospect for Miami.)

11. Earl Thomas – S (By all accounts there are really on two difference makers at S in this years draft that may be able to contribute right away. Berry may be long gone and if Miami is going to try and fill that whole through the draft after missing out on Rolle and Clark they may feel the need pick Thomas. Thomas compared favorably to Berry at the combine and some scouts think his ball skills are better than Berry’s. However, Thomas is on the smaller side and their may be concerns about tackling and injuries.)

12. Ronaldo McClain – ILB (The signing of Dansby has likely dropped McClain on Miami’s big board, but not entirely out of the question since Dansby can play OLB. It will be a question of what value Miami’s decision makers think has. McClain’s pro day didn’t help. He reportedly ran 4.71 and 4.74 times in the 40-yard dash. Since Miami runs a 3-4 that is not as significant as if we ran a 4-3. However, McClain also disclosed his suffers from Crohn’s disease. McClain is a 3 down player so I could see getting Crowder off the field on passing downs which would not be a bad thing.)

13. Derrick Morgan – DE (Is a playmaker and has good size. ACC defensive player of the year last had 12.5 sacks. However, may not have the speed and quickness to convert to LB. Morgan may best suited as a DE in a 4-3.)

14. Dan Williams – DT (With Suh and McCoy surely to be gone will Miami decision makers think the drop-off between Williams and whoever would be available in the 2nd or 3rd round be too much not to pull the trigger? Many think Williams would be fair value at #12. Not many NT’s are able make a significant contribution as a rookie. Most NT’s take time to grow into the position…pun intended. However, a NT will certainly be drafted. The resigning of Ferguson means he will not be ready to contribute until after an 8 game suspension. Week 9 is right about the time a rookie NT is likely to start to hit the wall.)

How about you? How do you see Miami's big board shaping up...

cobbs321
03-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I would add Terrence Cody and i know most people don't like him because they think he is only a 2 down player but he has been working his butt off to lose weight so he can be a 3 down player. He was a complete monster at NT and more talented than both D. Williams and Cam Thomas.

Aqua and Orange
03-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I'd be surprised if Dez Bryant is on their board, given the treatment they've been giving (or not giving for that matter) Brandon Marshall and Antonio Bryant.

In related news, the team now plans to put a helmet on Jeff Ireland and have him become our #1 WR. He's great at the cone drill.

tcdrover
03-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I would bet my house that Dez isn't on our draft board and probably not on the board of plenty of other teams.

Just based on his agent choice alone. He's injured already and he hasn't played football in how long?

I like Kindle or Thomas, but it would be sweet if that NT dropped to us.

AdamC13
03-10-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd be surprised if Dez Bryant is on their board, given the treatment they've been giving (or not giving for that matter) Brandon Marshall and Antonio Bryant.

In related news, the team now plans to put a helmet on Jeff Ireland and have him become our #1 WR. He's great at the cone drill.

You may be right. I know as a fan I am probably more inclined to a big-play WR at the top of the big board than Parcells who has always been more old school and defense before offense.

Still...Bryant's skills may are good value at #12.

AdamC13
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I would bet my house that Dez isn't on our draft board and probably not on the board of plenty of other teams.

Just based on his agent choice alone. He's injured already and he hasn't played football in how long?

I like Kindle or Thomas, but it would be sweet if that NT dropped to us.
Dez' personal workout day, on the 25th I believe, will be significant to where he lands.

Seems like the FO is determined to address FS through FA.

skipp2myloo13
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM
ET should be a lot higher on that list.

AdamC13
03-10-2010, 11:26 PM
ET should be a lot higher on that list.
If he had more size I would put him higher.

Aqua and Orange
03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
You may be right. I know as a fan I am probably more inclined to a big-play WR at the top of the big board than Parcells who has always been more old school and defense before offense.

Still...Bryant's skills may are good value at #12.

Oh I agree. Bryant at #12 would be impossible to pass up.

That "Thanks" was for your avatar by the way. Best avatar on this site.

skipp2myloo13
03-10-2010, 11:36 PM
If he had more size I would put him higher.

Like if he was an inch taller and 4 lbs heavier?

irish fin fan
03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
I understand a lot of your reasoning and it makes a lot of sense. However, I think they will go with a NT like Dan Williams. There are too many holes to fill in the team right now as lot of people have already said on this board. It's going to take another draft after this year to get what we need in my opinion for the right quality and cost. The needs in my opinion are NT, FS, OLB (or two), TE and of course a WR.

My logic for the NT to be drafted first is to open those holes in the offense so we can maximize that expensive new signing Dansby production. If we don't have a NT that will take out two blockers we're not going to get the best out of Dansby. The OLB obviously needs to bring pressure on the QB but because the draft is deep I'm hoping that we can get a good quality player in 2nd round would.

I'm definitely torn in what to do if Berry dropped to us after what happened in the FS position in the past season. However, last year some people were commenting about the rookie CB's inexperience but if the linebackers can create pressure then the secondary will be less exposed. So in my opinion we go for LB to get that pressure that we did not get last year. Shame we missed out on Clarke. He would have been a good FS stop gap for a year. Hopefully we can get something in FA but it's not looking good there right now.

As for the receiver, that will have to wait to next year. My heart will not last another season with games been on the line up to the last second, bottles almost going through the tv and my wife calling me crazy. The offense scored enough points last year to win games only for the defense to give them up. We are going to have to choose which side of the ball will be dominant this year and the draft talent available this year makes it looks like the defense building makes more sense. Next year there is supposed more good WR prospects. TE I think we can pick up in later rounds.

FinsKickArse
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
heres what I'd like to see...

Plan A) Take Dez, Kindle, or McClain whoever is available (in that order)
--round 2 take Cam Thomas or Terrence Cody

Plan B) Trade down and take Dan Williams
--round 2 take Nate Allen, Arrelious Benn

3rdandinches
03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Big Board

1. Suh - 3/4 DE
2. E.Berry - FS
3. R.Okung OT - would kick Carey to guard
4. B.Buluga OT
5. T.Williams OT
6. E.Thomas FS
7. R.McClain ILB
8. J.Haden CB
9. CJ.Spiller RB
10. B.Graham OLB
11. E.Griffin OLB
12. S.Kindle OLB
13. S.Weatherspoon ILB/OLB
14. D.Bryant WR
15. J.Odrick DE
16. D.Bryant WR
17. D.Williams NT
18. M.Iupati OG
19. D.Thomas WR
20. M.Pouncey C/OG

This is right from BP's desk....my cousins roomates brother was dating this girl who's mother's aunt's step-daughter cleans the offices at the stadium and she took a picture of it, honest.

AdamC13
03-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Like if he was an inch taller and 4 lbs heavier?

Thanks for calling me on this. I did not look to see what Thomas measured at the combine which was 208. A month prior to that he was listed at 197. The information I used had him listed at 185 which I am sure was at the beginning of last year.

Having said that it seems Miami is looking fill the S position through FA...Rolle, Clark, and now hearing Sean Jones.

AdamC13
03-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Big Board

1. Suh - 3/4 DE
2. E.Berry - FS
3. R.Okung OT - would kick Carey to guard
4. B.Buluga OT
5. T.Williams OT
6. E.Thomas FS
7. R.McClain ILB
8. J.Haden CB
9. CJ.Spiller RB
10. B.Graham OLB
11. E.Griffin OLB
12. S.Kindle OLB
13. S.Weatherspoon ILB/OLB
14. D.Bryant WR
15. J.Odrick DE
16. D.Bryant WR
17. D.Williams NT
18. M.Iupati OG
19. D.Thomas WR
20. M.Pouncey C/OG

This is right from BP's desk....my cousins roomates brother was dating this girl who's mother's aunt's step-daughter cleans the offices at the stadium and she took a picture of it, honest.
:lol: My brother's best friend's girlfriend dog's dogsitter's boyfriend's father's best-friend also works for the stadium and said BP leaves a fake big board laying on top of his desk in order to throw people off. That appears to be the case with your big board.

3rdandinches
03-11-2010, 01:03 AM
:lol: My brother's best friend's girlfriend dog's dogsitter's boyfriend's father's best-friend also works for the stadium and said BP leaves a fake big board laying on top of his desk in order to throw people off. That appears to be the case with your big board.

That's what we first thought too but then on the back it had a note that said this is the real big board to remind BP the others he had left around his office, crapper, media room and car were actually the fake ones.

You see BP experienced a real bad screw up a year ago when he accidently grabbed a fake big board and drafted P.White in the 2nd. He certainly didn't want that to happen again so he wrote on the back of this one that it is really the real big board!