PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Round Sleeper FS - Kam Chancellor

miamirw
03-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Kinda reminds me of Louis Oliver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PC-drS9IA

He'd look awfully good lined up next to Bell.

SRM
03-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Wow. I don't know much about the dude, actually, I've never heard of him, but damn can he lay the wood.

He's one of those guys that can knock someone out by barely putting a shoulder into them. That is very rare.

BobDole
03-11-2010, 12:49 AM
he's got some coverage issues although he's looked great in the combine, etc. so far. i see him as a SS in the NFL. we need a pure cover safety lined up next to bell, whose got his own issues in coverage.

SRM
03-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I just watched his highlights/lowlights on youtube, he seems like a typical hard hitting, big bodied safety that can't cover.

FinsKickArse
03-11-2010, 12:54 AM
thats a big boy...definately a BP type
is always hard to tell with a "highlight" video though lol

Clipse
03-11-2010, 03:10 AM
No thanks. Struggles in coverage. Not what we need.

Farmer
03-11-2010, 08:30 AM

YUP! watch a lot of VT games cause of where i live, he's not good at all in coverage. at all. Ive seen him get lost when the ball is in the air. there are 2-3 threads on him already also with lots of people saying no no and no

ColonelJ
03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I think that Chancellor is better than Clemons. I like R. Jones from UGA better than Chancellor.

rrrrphin
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
i haven't watched him directly in many games, so i cannot comment on his game coverage skills. CK has a HO for him after the E/W shrine game. he apparently wreaked havoc in practice to the point where people were afraid to go over the middle. he was all over the place in the game and looked great. i recall reading that CK thought he had very fluid movements for such a big ( as big as Mays) FS....that makes it surprising to hear that he has coverage issue.

the fact that he hits and tackles so well makes him an upgrade over Wilson. i don't think he is under the radar in the third. i really like him there if they don't address FS earlier. i really like trading up into the bottom of the third to get him( we have multiple 6th round picks that i doubt well be using in their original slots).

j-off-her-doll
03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Great athlete. I don't question his physicality.

I don't see the intelligent, instinctive player I want at FS. But, if we draft him, I'd assume we're running him through Nolan, and I trust his evaluation of what he needs at FS.

Danny
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
hard to tell on a 2 minute tape...looked good there but again, everyone can look good on a few plays.

Ozzy rules!!

Chubby
03-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Been looking at him for some time, some question whether he can really cover as a FS or not. Like said earlier if Nolan gives his seal of approval then I am all for it maybe in the fourth if available.

Boomer
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM

I don't think that's strictly true that he struggles in coverage. He's actually tremendously rangy, reads the play very well and has good speed to get across the field and will bring the lumber. Where he DOES struggle is when covering deep routes and having guys run at him and having to turn and run. His COD abilities in those situations are mediocre at best. Paddle steamers turn quicker. But when the ball's in front of him, he's a good player. I actually think he's best suited to be a SS but he's going to be a balls out special teamer and I like his upside.

52CANES
03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Morgan Burnett?

TedSlimmJr
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Morgan Burnett?

I typically don't like guys that play the "rover" position in these college defenses....they rarely ever pan out.....

But I think Burnett can play either safety position....though not great at anything....I think he's a decent player but probably a gets a little more hype than he should...

TedSlimmJr
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't think that's strictly true that he struggles in coverage. He's actually tremendously rangy, reads the play very well and has good speed to get across the field and will bring the lumber. Where he DOES struggle is when covering deep routes and having guys run at him and having to turn and run. His COD abilities in those situations are mediocre at best. Paddle steamers turn quicker. But when the ball's in front of him, he's a good player. I actually think he's best suited to be a SS but he's going to be a balls out special teamer and I like his upside.

Nailed it...

Range isn't an issue for Chancellor....nor physicality and blowing up receivers.....it's the man coverage/turning and running that exposes him....

A Chancellor and Taylor Mays are a lot alike.....except Chancellor is.....yep....better.....

I think Chancellor is a strong safety also...

Cody Grimm is another underrated player that's going to be an absolute special teams demon IMO...

ckparrothead
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM

I think upside is the key word you mentioned there.

I say that because if any player had a problem with consistency more so than in any one area of his game, it's Chancellor. You can put on tape and see him be absolutely woeful turning and running, which I would put forth is really a function of how early he's able to recognize the play (or rather, not). He's been prone to staying flat-footed too long while he tries to figure out the action, and then all the sudden he's got to turn and run backwards from a standing start and it looks awkward and the opposite of fluid.

But I've also seen the guy cover receivers one-on-one and look anything but a paddle steamer.

I think the key here is that he's a QB convert, and he plays like he's still learning the position. He played something like four different positions during his time as a Hokie, didn't he? He started as a QB, then just prior to the season opener he moved to CB, then he played Rover, then he moved to Free Safety, and 2009 was the first year he returned to the same position.

Saying that he "plays like he's still learning the position" isn't necessarily code for "he sucks right now but hopefully he'll get better"...what I mean by that is I thought his best action was toward the end of the year for Va Tech, and especially when he went to the Shrine week and rocked the house. Even guys that had been fierce critics of the guy had to admit they never saw anything like the ability and consistency he showed that week. For these DBs, sometimes the light clicks on. Right to my grave I will swear that until 2009, Nate Allen was an overrated piece of crap. But I watched him in 2009 and it was like watching a different player, the light really turned on. Maybe that's more prone to happening at the safety position where everything is so heavily dependent on reading the field and reacting quickly and fluidly.

I think he's a very promising player.

Clipse
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
YUP! watch a lot of VT games cause of where i live, he's not good at all in coverage. at all. Ive seen him get lost when the ball is in the air. there are 2-3 threads on him already also with lots of people saying no no and no
Same here.

Clipse
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree, and I'm of the opinion that's not what we need unless we plan on him being Bell's replacement.

NRA
03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
thats a big boy...definately a BP type

YEP! probably is.

but is he MIKE NOLAN'S type? THATS the real question.

finfan3223
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
No thanks. He is horrible in coverage but atleast he can tackle unlike some people.

ColonelJ
03-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Chancellor would be a good pick up in the third. If we get graham/Griffen, and Cam Thomas in the second, Kam Chancellor would be a solid pick in the third. That would make for tough solid 3 rounds of drafting imo.

hooshoops
03-11-2010, 09:36 PM

that's the exact same concern i have with major wright as a free safety...don't think he flips his hips all that well...can see him having issues with deep routes and guys running right by him

at the combine it looked to me like there was a bit of a hitch in his giddy up when he was asked to pedal and then turn and run...

Boomer
03-12-2010, 07:15 AM
I typically don't like guys that play the "rover" position in these college defenses....they rarely ever pan out.....

But I think Burnett can play either safety position....though not great at anything....I think he's a decent player but probably a gets a little more hype than he should...

I agree. He was much better as a sophomore and showed the ability to play some corner as well.

He has tackling issues at times.