PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow scores below average on NFL's Wonderlic test

BAMAPHIN 22
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Tim Tebow proved at the NFL Combine two weekends ago that he is a physical freak for a quarterback, tying a Combine record with a vertical leap of 38.5 inches, running a 4.7 in the 40 and dominating all participants in the cone and shuttle drills.

But when it comes to thinking on his feet in a pressurized environment, Tebow is a little bit behind the pack.

Tebow scored slightly below average for an NFL quarterback on the Wonderlic test, a 12-minute, 50-question exam given at the Combine that assesses a person's learning and problem-solving abilities.

Tebow scored a 22 out of 50 on the Wonderlic test, an NFL source told the Post Wednesday. The score falls slightly below the average score for an NFL quarterback, which is 24. But the average for 30 quarterbacks slated to start in 2010 is even higher, at 28.5. And the average score among the past seven Super Bowl winners is a 30.1. The scores for Kansas City's Matt Cassel and Carolina's Matt Moore could not be found.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/tim-tebow-scores-below-average-on-nfls-wonderlic-339371.html

j-off-her-doll
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
If anything I'm surprised that he was only slightly below average.

JCfinfan
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
That means nothing in the football world for him. Numerous coaches(even ours) have said how his football smarts are amazing.

With that said, if we draft him, I will jump off a cliff.

Mr. Magoo
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
You're never going to see him do very well on these tests. I believe he got an 890 on his SAT. Coaches always rave about his football intelligence and want to, but I've always thought he's been prone to huge, inexplicable errors on the field.

Not saying that has anything to do with his Wonderlic, or his SAT, for that matter. He is what he is.

PALMA
03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Henne is no genius himself with a Wonderlic of 22.

52CANES
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think many scouts care about his wonderlic... they want to see his new throwing motion and its effectiveness.

ckparrothead
03-11-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not really a fair comparison. For a long time the wonderlic was one of those tests you could "cheat" on by studying previous copies of the test, the chances were you'd end up sitting down and answering questions that you'd already seen. It doesn't necessarily see you score perfectly (though some did) but it does shave your time and help you be a guy that scores in the 30's instead of the 20's, etc. Even not-so-bright QBs are used to studying and memorizing big fat playbooks so I found they tended to get the most benefit out of the ability to study previous copies of the test. I could be wrong but a few years ago I thought the NFL started commissioning the creation of new and unique tests every year so that even if you study previous tests, you may have studied questions that are similar to what is on the wonderlic but you won't run across the same exact questions. I'm sure studying previous copies would still help, but no more than let's say a Kaplan's course would help you with the SAT.

Point being a bunch of the starting QBs out there right now took the test when cheating on it was easy...and the guys that take it now took it when cheating is supposed to be next to impossible.

ckparrothead
03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't think many scouts care about his wonderlic... they want to see his new throwing motion and its effectiveness.

And that is also very true. They measure your intelligence for the game of football in other ways, usually with a chalkboard session, regular personal interviews, and a psych eval.

Mr. Magoo
03-11-2010, 01:46 PM
And that is also very true. They measure your intelligence for the game of football in other ways, usually with a chalkboard session, regular personal interviews, and a psych eval.

Yeah, and he'll probably ace those psyche evaluations, though they're certainly no kind of end-all, be all.

From an earlier post I made in the Cliff Avril thread.

Chad Henne's report.

http://www.hrd-rtp.com/hrtnfl/Non-Giants%20PDF%2020%20April/Henne%20%20%20Chad%20-%20QB_MSxLW.pdf

Davone Bess' report. This one was frankly shocking.

http://www.hrd-rtp.com/hrtnfl/Giants%20PDF%2020%20April/Bess,%20Davone%20-%20WR%20(G).pdf

Vernon Gholston's report.

http://www.hrd-rtp.com/hrtnfl/Non-Giants%20PDF%2020%20April/Gholston%20%20%20Vernon%20-%20DE_MSxLW.pdf

The Giants have been using these psychological tests for years. They swear by them. But like anything else, they're only useful up till a point. Otherwise the Giants would field the most dominant team in the league, which of course they don't.

As a side note, I forgot to save a link to Erik Ainge's report, but he scored higher than Henne, too. I've always felt the guy was underrated, but still, pretty sure he's a third stringer.

Chubby
03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Didnt Dan Marino score like a 15 on his? means nothing :).

What I am curious to see is Myron Rolles test results.
Chubbs

Troysif
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Didnt Dan Marino score like a 15 on his? means nothing :).

What I am curious to see is Myron Rolles test results.
Chubbs

Yep Marino scored 16. So it doesn't mean much. Myron Rolle should score pretty damn high.

chon-ji
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Just proves Christian's aren't all that smart LOL

Word for the day: irony

ckparrothead
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, and he'll probably ace those psyche evaluations, though they're certainly no kind of end-all, be all.

From an earlier post I made in the Cliff Avril thread.

Chad Henne's report.

http://www.hrd-rtp.com/hrtnfl/Non-Giants%20PDF%2020%20April/Henne%20%20%20Chad%20-%20QB_MSxLW.pdf

Davone Bess' report. This one was frankly shocking.

http://www.hrd-rtp.com/hrtnfl/Giants%20PDF%2020%20April/Bess,%20Davone%20-%20WR%20(G).pdf

Vernon Gholston's report.

http://www.hrd-rtp.com/hrtnfl/Non-Giants%20PDF%2020%20April/Gholston%20%20%20Vernon%20-%20DE_MSxLW.pdf

The Giants have been using these psychological tests for years. They swear by them. But like anything else, they're only useful up till a point. Otherwise the Giants would field the most dominant team in the league, which of course they don't.

As a side note, I forgot to save a link to Erik Ainge's report, but he scored higher than Henne, too. I've always felt the guy was underrated, but still, pretty sure he's a third stringer.

Those are just sick. Seems like they couldn't have ended up further from the truth. Everyone in the Jets organization criticized Vernon Gholston because he doesn't seem to care that he sucks and doesn't feel the need to get better. Davone Bess doesn't perservere? Yikes. I'd love to read more of those if you have the linkes, just so I can see how wrong they are. :)

Dogbone34
03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
i want to see the score for eric berry, sean weatherspoon and earl thomas

PSU Cane
03-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm not really surprised. I've seen numerous reports of Tebow being home-schooled (or traveling all the time with church groups), which in my opinion, is the wrong way to do things. As with everything, there are exceptions to the rule, but in my experience kids who are home-schooled often struggle with standardized tests.

ckparrothead
03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
People are acting like a 22 is a terrible score.

Mr. Magoo
03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Those are just sick. Seems like they couldn't have ended up further from the truth. Everyone in the Jets organization criticized Vernon Gholston because he doesn't seem to care that he sucks and doesn't feel the need to get better. Davone Bess doesn't perservere? Yikes. I'd love to read more of those if you have the linkes, just so I can see how wrong they are. :)

Sure. You just go to this link:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS239&q=site%3Ahrd-rtp.com+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

If you hover your mouse over the link, you'll be able to see who the profile is of. Unfortunately there really aren't that many Dolphins compiled here, but it's certainly interesting reading.

rev kev
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Word for the day: irony

Word for the day = self-deprecating... :rolleyes:

ChadHenne
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
People should remember that Tebow got an 870 on his SAT's. He's smart, just not book smart.

X-Pacolypse
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Ah, who cares about his Wonderlic score. Teams should draft him because he's a good Christian and he's such a good little boy! :chuckle:

TedSlimmJr
03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Marino was high when he scored a 15 on the wonderlic...

Whoever drafts Tebow to play quarterback has a helluva lot more to worry about than his wonderlic score...

thejetssuck
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Agreed!! And I am pretty sure Henne scored a 22 on the Wonderlic, not a 13.

sphincter
03-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Ah, who cares about his Wonderlic score. Teams should draft him because he's a good Christian and he's such a good little boy! :chuckle:And don't forget he is "truly blessed".

hemidemon
03-13-2010, 04:30 PM
It shouldn't be a shock Tebow scored below average. The required GPA for UF football players is painted in the middle of Florida's field.

dolfan_101
03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Ted Slimms Jr. made my whole day with that last post hahahahahahahaha

1Hawdolfin4L
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Just posting an opposing view...

As with everything, there are exceptions to the rule, but in my experience kids who are home-schooled often struggle with standardized tests.

Studies indicate otherwise...

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp
I. Independent Evaluations of Homeschooling
1. In 1997, a study of 5,402 homeschool students from 1,657 families was released. It was entitled, "Strengths of Their Own: Home Schoolers Across America." The study demonstrated that homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects. A significant finding when analyzing the data for 8th graders was the evidence that homeschoolers who are homeschooled two or more years score substantially higher than students who have been homeschooled one year or less. The new homeschoolers were scoring on the average in the 59th percentile compared to students homeschooled the last two or more years who scored between 86th and 92nd percentile. i (http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp#i)
This was confirmed in another study by Dr. Lawrence Rudner of 20,760 homeschooled students which found the homeschoolers who have homeschooled all their school aged years had the highest academic achievement. This was especially apparent in the higher grades.

http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/WSJArticle.htm
Home-Schooled Kids Defy Stereotypes, Ace SAT Test
By DANIEL GOLDEN
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
ATLANTA -- Jason Scoggins will never graduate from high school, have a class rank or be recommended by his guidance counselor. But Oglethorpe University wants him anyway.
Jason, who is 17 years old, was home-schooled by his mother. After he scored 1,570 out of a possible 1,600 on his SAT college-admissions test -- with a perfect 800 in math

http://www.wpc2008.org/homeschooled-children-continue-outperforming-their-public-school-counterparts-as-homeschooling-increases-in-popularity

Homeschooled Children Continue Outperforming Their Public School Counterparts as Homeschooling Increases in Popularity

September 8th, 2009 by Admin
Performance of home schools versus public and private schools
It doesn’t take much effort or investigation to discover that homeschoolers excel above their public school counter parts in nearly every category. According to a study conducted by Dr. Lawrence Rudner:
• The average home schooled 8th grade student performs four grade levels above the national average.
• In every grade and in every subject, home schooled students outperform both public and private school students.

MrEd
03-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Just posting an opposing view...

Studies indicate otherwise...

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp
I. Independent Evaluations of Homeschooling
1. In 1997, a study of 5,402 homeschool students from 1,657 families was released. It was entitled, "Strengths of Their Own: Home Schoolers Across America." The study demonstrated that homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects. A significant finding when analyzing the data for 8th graders was the evidence that homeschoolers who are homeschooled two or more years score substantially higher than students who have been homeschooled one year or less. The new homeschoolers were scoring on the average in the 59th percentile compared to students homeschooled the last two or more years who scored between 86th and 92nd percentile. i (http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp#i)
This was confirmed in another study by Dr. Lawrence Rudner of 20,760 homeschooled students which found the homeschoolers who have homeschooled all their school aged years had the highest academic achievement. This was especially apparent in the higher grades.

http://www.oakmeadow.com/resources/articles/WSJArticle.htm
Home-Schooled Kids Defy Stereotypes, Ace SAT Test
By DANIEL GOLDEN
Staff Reporter of THEWALLSTREETJOURNAL
ATLANTA -- Jason Scoggins will never graduate from high school, have a class rank or be recommended by his guidance counselor. But Oglethorpe University wants him anyway.
Jason, who is 17 years old, was home-schooled by his mother. After he scored 1,570 out of a possible 1,600 on his SAT college-admissions test -- with a perfect 800 in math

http://www.wpc2008.org/homeschooled-children-continue-outperforming-their-public-school-counterparts-as-homeschooling-increases-in-popularity

Homeschooled Children Continue Outperforming Their Public School Counterparts as Homeschooling Increases in Popularity

September 8th, 2009 by Admin
Performance of home schools versus public and private schools
It doesn’t take much effort or investigation to discover that homeschoolers excel above their public school counter parts in nearly every category. According to a study conducted by Dr. Lawrence Rudner:
• The average home schooled 8th grade student performs four grade levels above the national average.
• In every grade and in every subject, home schooled students outperform both public and private school students.

Exactly. Because those kids don't have to worry about the indoctrination that goes on in our liberally biased and religiously offensive public school system. There's more room for 'pure' and 'real' education.

Then, homeschooled are given a healthy 'morals' upbringing, which public schools lack in their disdane for God and everything Bible.

Finally, the liberal biased school system is slanted to harrass and offend the moral and religious. So when you are being taught, you are being offended by the blatant insults that these liberally brainwashed professors and board members that many Christians just give up and either quit or are frustrated to the point of emotional distress that will cause anyone to not want to pursue the work.

In my time in college, I've had to report professors and protest blatant and even 'criminal' biases in my grading system in order to keep my A's. I've had dumb professors slant his tests in ways that if you don't answer against your conscience you will get the wrong answer.

I had to protest questions in order to get my just grade. This happens constantly in liberal colleges etc. So homeschooling is a good system actually. It helps the parents protect their kids from the liberal system from brainwashing and misleading their kids. :hi5:

Namor
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Marino was high when he scored a 15 on the wonderlic...

Whoever drafts Tebow to play quarterback has a helluva lot more to worry about than his wonderlic score...

Dan messed up on the "running plays and fake hand-off portion" of
the test:chuckle: