PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Spotlight: OLB Sean Lee - Penn State

Conuficus
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/03/11/2010-draft-spotlight-olb-sean-lee-penn-state/

I believe Sean Lee to be a pretty scheme diverse linebacker even though he may not in fact be the best athlete at the position on his team. As you watch the video, you should note that Lee does not have elite speed, nor is he blessed with fluid hips that allow him to change direction without hesitation. This is not to say that Lee is a sluggish player, as he does cover ground although he is not a sideline to sideline player in my opinion. Lee relies more on his film study and football IQ to get himself into position more than his physical gifts alone.

If we were ever to let Crowder go via trade or simply make him a backup player in the near future, a guy like Lee could come in and replace him. he is stout at the POA, although he truly does lack that top gear to close on ball carriers. Smart, physical player.

By the way, the player rankings will be ammended tonight and tomorrow.

TedSlimmJr
03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
This one is probably another one of my favorites that you've done....I couldn't agree more with you...

I think the injuries have pretty much taken his speed away....but I think he can play inside in a 3-4 defense....due to his ability and willingness to attack the LOS and not only take on blocks....but shed them..

Could be a "TED" linebacker for some team....doesn't mind doing the dirty work.....and his football IQ should allow him to stay on the field beyond 1st and 2nd down.....if not....he can still be effective as a 2-down linebacker....

A throwback to the linebackers I used to watch Paterno put on the field back in the day when he and Bear were knocking heads for National Championships.... I probably appreciate this one more than some do...

jim1
03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
This one is probably another one of my favorites that you've done....I couldn't agree more with you...

I think the injuries have pretty much taken his speed away....but I think he can play inside in a 3-4 defense....due to his ability and willingness to attack the LOS and not only take on blocks....but shed them..

Could be a "TED" linebacker for some team....doesn't mind doing the dirty work.....and his football IQ should allow him to stay on the field beyond 1st and 2nd down.....if not....he can still be effective as a 2-down linebacker....

A throwback to the linebackers I used to watch Paterno put on the field back in the day when he and Bear were knocking heads for National Championships.... I probably appreciate this one more than some do...

Lee is just a baller. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to get him in rd 3. Still thinking:

1. Dan Williams
2. Benn (hopefully he slips a bit, you never know)
3. Sean Lee
4. Jimmy Graham or Mike Wallace, but that 8 reps at the combine speaks to me.

Maybe Earl Thomas in the 1st, maybe Chad Jones in the 2nd. Who knows how this will play out. Still hoping for a trade down.

j-off-her-doll
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Lee is just a baller. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to get him in rd 3. Still thinking:

1. Dan Williams
2. Benn (hopefully he slips a bit, you never know)
3. Sean Lee
4. Jimmy Graham or Mike Wallace, but that 8 reps at the combine speaks to me.

Maybe Earl Thomas in the 1st, maybe Chad Jones in the 2nd. Who knows how this will play out. Still hoping for a trade down.

But, what about OLB?

Conuficus
03-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Yeah, he is a throw back in terms of stacking and shedding,.....most players run around blocks nowadays, which can be effective but also gives up some yardage IMHO. I personally like the old throw backs,....makes sense that I chose Penn State back in the day. Fundamental education under Fran Gantner on the offensive side.

dr.jake
03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
he seems solid. maybe a little small. i don't think he's quite the baller POZ was but seems less injury prone. connor fell quite a ways last year. i would think 3rd rnd consideration.

Gadsden86
03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
I love to get him in the 3rd. He would have been rated higher if it wasnt for him hurting his knee season before last.

Conuficus
03-11-2010, 11:43 PM
he seems solid. maybe a little small. i don't think he's quite the baller POZ was but seems less injury prone. connor fell quite a ways last year. i would think 3rd rnd consideration.

Thats about where he is, late second depending on needs and how the draft has gone. As you say, more likely a third rounder.