PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins eyeing Derick Morgan

kwill29
03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
The draft is 41 days away, so a lot could change, but one NFL scout said Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan is picking up steam with the Dolphins.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/03/12/dolphins-eyeing-georgia-techs-derrick-morgan/

Interesting. Draft gurus out there, you think he could be a effective OLB?

Danny
03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
anything is posible at this point.He's a good player but there's so many OLB's on this draft that we could get a good one in round 2......WR keeps coming back to me in round one tho with Parcells you always think he won't draft one in round one.Also the fact he hasn't taken a LB in round one for us yet makes you feel he might do it this year.

Ozzy rules!!

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 01:55 PM
He's on the short list. I believe the short list is Derrick Morgan, Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant, C.J. Spiller and Jared Odrick. I've always wavered on whether to add Jerry Hughes in there somewhere.

Morgan is an excellent, excellent player. I think Graham might be more explosive, but Morgan is way more polished. I don't like the idea of him at OLB in a Nolan defense at 270+ pounds but he came into the Combine a little lighter than I thought, ran a littler faster than I thought (weight loss paid off), and the note specifically mentions the Dolphins having him get down to 250-260 lbs if they grabbed him, and at that weight he could move the way they need. I like his work on Tight Ends. As a player he reminds me a lot of Tamba Hali, who made a very successful transition to 3-4 OLB this year.

newlownorder
03-12-2010, 01:55 PM
A lot of people don't think he can drop back in coverage. To be honest, he doesn't do it that often but he doesn't look a bit tight in the hips and might have trouble covering some of the better pass catching TE's in the league. Luckily, the AFC EAST isn't known for the amazing TE's.

j-off-her-doll
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Just a matter of whether of not they think he can cover. He reminds me a lot of a lengthier, slightly less-athletic B. Graham. He knows how to penetrate, and he has a great motor. I'd imagine he'd have a significant edge in regard to . . . setting the edge.

But, I don't know if he can play is space.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 02:07 PM
morgans the best run defending end in the draft...i don't think that's even close...

the weight loss thing has me intrigued...but i'd really like my olbs to be able to run down qbs from the backside...not that i've seen that issue much on morgans tape

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I know which play you're talking about though.

Did he do that at 270+ pounds? If he's losing weight and able to run a 4.72 at 268 lbs, and he were to get more down to like 258 lbs, I think he'll have the maneuverability. He's got the short area quickness to work a Tight End.

TedSlimmJr
03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
The only DE's in college that stood a chance to catch Stanzi on that play is Pierre-Paul or Everson Griffen....that's about it.....and that's no guarantee.....Morgan still almost caught him....he's relentless....and he's going to do that on EVERY single play....never takes a play off....

You just can't say that about a lot of football players...

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
the question is can morgan maintain that 258 lbs??? no doubt he'd rock a te at the line...he's be a heck of a run defender also...string plays out split double teams a monster at the poa...

like others have said he may not sack the qb on a consistent basis but he'll be putting pressure on the qb consistently...

i just wish he had a bit better feet...but maybe i'm just spoiled by watching griffens feet too much...

52CANES
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
This is a really safe pick because he can probably play DE if he doesnt end up doing well at OLB.... he's big enough for 3-4 DE right?

*edit: thought he was taller than 6'3...so maybe that answer is a no

RealDriscoll
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I love Derrick Morgan and agree 100% with CK. The weight he shed and his speed at the combine make me believe he could play SOLB in our defense. I think Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas, CJ Spiller, Dez Bryant, Sergio Kindle, Derrick Morgan, or Eric Berry will be our pick #12

uga3406
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I like Morgan but the OLB spot can be addressed in the 2nd w/ Jerry Hughes or another player. Get Earl Thomas and u have yourself a playmaking safety for 10 years plus...

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
In the 2nd round you're looking at a Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp, Thaddeus Gibson, Eric Norwood or maybe Jason Worilds, and Worilds may be off some teams' boards (including our own) due to recurring shoulder injuries. You're not going to get Jerry Hughes in the 2nd round.

So if you pass on Derrick Morgan, Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, very likely Sergio Kindle, and Jerry Hughes...you lose out on them. None will be available in the 2nd round.

From there it's up to you whether that's OK or not. I think that if Dez Bryant is there at #12, it's a no-brainer. You take him. If he's not...that's where the extra film study, thorough background checks and everything like that will make a difference deciding if you're OK to forego all of those OLBs in order to get hold of an Earl Thomas.

j-off-her-doll
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
the question is can morgan maintain that 258 lbs??? no doubt he'd rock a te at the line...he's be a heck of a run defender also...string plays out split double teams a monster at the poa...

like others have said he may not sack the qb on a consistent basis but he'll be putting pressure on the qb consistently...

i just wish he had a bit better feet...but maybe i'm just spoiled by watching griffens feet too much...

You're not the first person to say this, but I'm not sure where this idea of him failing to sack the QB comes from. He had 12 sacks last season. I don't think he's a better pass rusher than J. Hughes, but he had a half sack more than Hughes. He achieves consistent penetration and he closed the deal more often than any of the other top guys we're considering for the position.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
In the 2nd round you're looking at a Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp, Thaddeus Gibson, Eric Norwood or maybe Jason Worilds, and Worilds may be off some teams' boards (including our own) due to recurring shoulder injuries. You're not going to get Jerry Hughes in the 2nd round.

So if you pass on Derrick Morgan, Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, very likely Sergio Kindle, and Jerry Hughes...you lose out on them. None will be available in the 2nd round.

From there it's up to you whether that's OK or not. I think that if Dez Bryant is there at #12, it's a no-brainer. You take him. If he's not...that's where the extra film study, thorough background checks and everything like that will make a difference deciding if you're OK to forego all of those OLBs in order to get hold of an Earl Thomas.

that's the hard part for me...passing up the elite lb prospects to get a free safety if dez bryant is off the board at pick #12...it's why i lean the olbs...i agree that none of those guys listed make it to #43...olb is too much of a need/coveted position

but am i comfortable taking a nate allen at pick #43??? i don't think i am...

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
You're not the first person to say this, but I'm not sure where this idea of him failing to sack the QB comes from. He had 12 sacks last season. I don't think he's a better pass rusher than J. Hughes, but he had a half sack more than Hughes. He achieves consistent penetration and he closed the deal more often than any of the other top guys we're considering for the position.

i'm not saying he won't sack the qb...i just don't view him as explosive a pass rusher as some of these other olb prospects...but i do think that unlike some of these other olb prospects he will pressure on a consistent basis...

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
The speed to the outside is a very sexy and dangerous weapon and Derrick doesn't put it on display as much as others. That's where the idea comes from IMO.

fgrocker
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo!

52CANES
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I really want Earl Thomas...

The fact is though, OLB is:

1) More valuable position
2) Bigger need position
3) very good crop of OLB's, and we'll basically have our pick of them @ #12

Now, if you can tell me Jerry Hughes will for sure be available at #43 and Koa Misi will be there in the 3rd round then ok draft Earl Thomas. Since that is impossible to do, gotta take the more premier position at #1, then decide between the 2nd/3rd Round FS's and the 2nd/3rd Rnd OLB's...but only since we already have the #1 pick OLB locked up.

SamIam
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I hope that's not the case, Morgan is a pure 4/3 DE ... end of story.

I think he is going to be a good pro but nothing special. If we are going OLB with our 12 pick, then Graham or Kindle should be the pick here.

MiamiDolfan85
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
well,you called for a draft guru,so I commented.Derrick Morgan has the size and build to be a SOLB.Derrick is very good against the run,and even better at rusher the QB.He has good range,and more than enough speed to be an efftive player.

At the combine,he attended linebacking drills,and looked decent.I would say that his change in direction is good enough to be an every-down 'backer,but hasnt played OLB too much at GT,so thats probably the biggest concern.Hes dropped back a few times,so he has experience,and for him being on 21 years old,and already at 6'3",266 is quiet impressivr.Hes good value at 12,should Miami go that route.

j-off-her-doll
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM

I think you go E. Thomas here. There's a good chance that you're right: the top 6 3-4 OLB's will be off the board by pick 43. But, I have Thomas rated as high as any of those prospects. Also, there is a slim chance one of the falls to #43. If you count Cushing as a hybrid prospect (I would), there were exactly 6 3-4 OLB's drafted before the 43rd pick (E. Brown was the 7th at pick 43). The year prior there were 1 to 3 (if you don't count Merling and L. Jackson, Gholston was the only one). It just seems E. Thomas is the best bet - if you have him rated high and have the FS position as a position of great value, which I believe it is under Nolan.

If you go OLB, you know you're not getting one of the top FS's; if you go FS, you might not get one of the top OLB's. But, I think the gap between ET and N. Allen is greater than the gap between S. Kindle (have him rated the lowest of the top 6) and R. Sapp or J. Worilds.

BESS4LAST
03-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I Want The Dolphins To Be Known For Having Pass Rush!!!...not The Best Coverage Secondary...screw The Safety Idea...draft A Pass Rushing Beast!!!!unless Dez Is There Haha

Roman529
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/03/12/dolphins-eyeing-georgia-techs-derrick-morgan/

Interesting. Draft gurus out there, you think he could be a effective OLB?

Sporting News Draft Magazine has Morgan as the most versatile defensive player in the 2010 class. He can be a Pro Bowl player as a DE in a 4-3 and 3-4 scheme and as a rush linebacker in a 3-4. I just think he will be gone by the time we pick. :rolleyes:

Aqua and Orange
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I really want Earl Thomas...

The fact is though, OLB is:

1) More valuable position
2) Bigger need position
3) very good crop of OLB's, and we'll basically have our pick of them @ #12

Now, if you can tell me Jerry Hughes will for sure be available at #43 and Koa Misi will be there in the 3rd round then ok draft Earl Thomas. Since that is impossible to do, gotta take the more premier position at #1, then decide between the 2nd/3rd Round FS's and the 2nd/3rd Rnd OLB's...but only since we already have the #1 pick OLB locked up.

I'm starting to agree more and more with a safety being our top pick. I think they went into this offseason targeting LB and S, got one of the two, and unless we somehow fill it with depth will grab a safety first.

Happened last year with cornerback. Good post.

Morey161
03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Would love to get Morgan with the 12th pick. The guy was on a horrible defensive team at Georgia Tech. Wish Al Groh got there last year so we could see how he truly fit into the 3-4 scheme but I believe he could be a OLB for the 3-4. Then get Bey Bey in round 2 would be a great start in the 2 rounds.

Miamifin23
03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
no no no no.... more depth at olb in this draft than safety. If Thomas or Berry are there at 12 you take em. Assuming Dez Bryant is gone.

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, but if the problem with moving Merling to end was that he's an end, thinks like an end and has always been an end -- and Nolan wants guys who are linebackers, thinks like linebackers and have at least been linebackers at some point -- how does that change when we're talking about Morgan?

Has he at least played linebacker at some point?

This is not to say he can't do it. I just don't know what exactly is separating them at this point, unless you're saying that Morgan is a much smarter player and is more likely to make the transition on that basis, which I can see. But Merling did play more in space in college than Morgan did, so there's that.

J Tes
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
He's on the short list. I believe the short list is Derrick Morgan, Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant, C.J. Spiller and Jared Odrick. I've always wavered on whether to add Jerry Hughes in there somewhere.

Morgan is an excellent, excellent player. I think Graham might be more explosive, but Morgan is way more polished. I don't like the idea of him at OLB in a Nolan defense at 270+ pounds but he came into the Combine a little lighter than I thought, ran a littler faster than I thought (weight loss paid off), and the note specifically mentions the Dolphins having him get down to 250-260 lbs if they grabbed him, and at that weight he could move the way they need. I like his work on Tight Ends. As a player he reminds me a lot of Tamba Hali, who made a very successful transition to 3-4 OLB this year.

CK, I love Odrick but i dont see where he fits in this defense? I would think DE but that is one of Miami's strengths

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
some interesting stuff from daniel jeremiah today on derrick morgans ability to play olb according to 3-4 nfl teams...

that and 3 teams with brandon graham higher than derrick morgan on their boards...

http://twitter.com/movethesticks

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
some interesting stuff from daniel jeremiah today on derrick morgans ability to play olb according to 3-4 nfl teams...

that and 3 teams with brandon graham higher than derrick morgan on their boards...

http://twitter.com/movethesticks

I can see having Graham over Morgan if you're a 3-4 team. In fact, that would be a pretty natural thing. Graham is more explosive, fluid in space and I think the better overall pass rusher. I find it hard to believe though that too many 4-3 teams would have Graham over Morgan. Maybe a system like Indy's I can see it. But Morgan is really a prototypical left end, over the right tackle. Great run stuffer, great strength, high effort. My thinking until the Kampman signing was he would fall no farther than Jacksonville. But he may still go before that.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
i just thought it was interesting that every 3-4 team that he's talked to has said that derrick morgan can play 3-4 olb...no one's telling him that he can't...

i wonder how brandon graham looked in lb drills today at his pro day...i sure would like to see that tape

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
well i found my answer...he didn't work out...wonder if we'll be at his personal workout april 8th

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/04/michigans-graham-sidelined-for-pro-day/

TheBow305
03-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I see a TON of similarites between him and Shawne Merriman. Not as explosive, but he has a ridiculous motor!

I'd welcome him with open arms in Miami as our #12 pick. He isn't an ideal fit, but he could work as a OLB because he has the smarts and heart for it.

DOC33
03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Morgans numbers are very similar to Anthony Spencers when he came out. Morgans VJ, Cone, SS, and ten yrd split are slightly better but Spencers 40 ended up better. I have said since Jan that Morgan had to be high on MIA's list so this is no surprise.

Athletically Griffen is about the perfect guy to play SOLB in Miami's system but he has some motivation issues that Parcells will not tolerate. Morgan is a notch below athletically but he fits MIA's size requirements and he has the kind of motor that they want to build their team around.

jlfin
03-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Sporting News Draft Magazine has Morgan as the most versatile defensive player in the 2010 class. He can be a Pro Bowl player as a DE in a 4-3 and 3-4 scheme and as a rush linebacker in a 3-4. I just think he will be gone by the time we pick. :rolleyes:

I agree, BUT, when I look at all these mock drafts only Morgan (and possibly Berry) have a chance to drop to 12 if some of the QB's (Clausen, McCoy) shoot up into the top of the draft or if there is a run on OT's.

skipp2myloo13
03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Morgan really scares me, i just dont see the fluidity you need to be a great SOLB. I want someone great at 12. Not just good.

rickd13
03-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm starting to agree more and more with a safety being our top pick. I think they went into this offseason targeting LB and S, got one of the two, and unless we somehow fill it with depth will grab a safety first.

Happened last year with cornerback. Good post.

I think they tried to address safety during free agency so they would not have to waste a high pick on one in the draft. I hope that they do not take Earl Thomas at 12. I think that would be a reach.

ChambersWI
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Really, right now my top 3 guys for us at 12 are Morgan, Graham, and Earl Thomas. Dez Bryant would be up there too, but IMO he won't make it to 12 (same with Eric Berry). A guy like Everson Griffen or Sean Witherspoon could also hop up soon.

I think right now, I'm leaning more towards us taking Morgan or Graham. Yes we need a safety, and both the OLB and S positions have decent talent in this draft, BUT IMO the dropoff at OLB is bigger than S from the first to 2nd round. There are several safeties in rounds 2-4 that I think could be steals.

Bottom line is I think filling a need with Nate Allen, LArry Asante, TJ Ward, Morgan Burnett, Kam Chancellor, Reshad Jones, and Kyle McCarthey is more appealing than Koa Misi (whom I do like), Ricky Sapp, Jason Worlids, Greg Hardy (too many red flags), George Selvie, and Brandon Lang.

BESS4LAST
03-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Really, right now my top 3 guys for us at 12 are Morgan, Graham, and Earl Thomas. Dez Bryant would be up there too, but IMO he won't make it to 12 (same with Eric Berry). A guy like Everson Griffen or Sean Witherspoon could also hop up soon.

I think right now, I'm leaning more towards us taking Morgan or Graham. Yes we need a safety, and both the OLB and S positions have decent talent in this draft, BUT IMO the dropoff at OLB is bigger than S from the first to 2nd round. There are several safeties in rounds 2-4 that I think could be steals.

Bottom line is I think filling a need with Nate Allen, LArry Asante, TJ Ward, Morgan Burnett, Kam Chancellor, Reshad Jones, and Kyle McCarthey is more appealing than Koa Misi (whom I do like), Ricky Sapp, Jason Worlids, Greg Hardy (too many red flags), George Selvie, and Brandon Lang.
It starts up front...Morgan or graham would be a perfect complement to Wake, Charlie Anderson, and maybe JT?...I like Nate allen or Reshad Jones as later option.

MrEd
03-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Eh??? And you don't think that NT Dan Williams is on that list??? So then how are you expecting them to fill the NT need, CK?

MrEd
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I can see having Graham over Morgan if you're a 3-4 team. In fact, that would be a pretty natural thing. Graham is more explosive, fluid in space and I think the better overall pass rusher. I find it hard to believe though that too many 4-3 teams would have Graham over Morgan. Maybe a system like Indy's I can see it. But Morgan is really a prototypical left end, over the right tackle. Great run stuffer, great strength, high effort. My thinking until the Kampman signing was he would fall no farther than Jacksonville. But he may still go before that.

Yeah, I know. I don't believe this one bit about MOrgan being targeted by us. Why would we draft Philip Merling all over again at #12? Doesn't make sense to me. I'd take Graham over Morgan. I was of the school of thought that Graham was Matt Roth part 2, but after seeing a little more of him, he is more Lamar Woodley and I'm for him at #12 since we need a SOLB.

Austin Tatious
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
I think a key here is what skills are valued and make the most difference? A tremendous pass rusher can make game altering play. Getting the key sack; rushing the qb into an interception etc. The OLB who is solid against the run in setting the edge and playing hard is a nice player but not necessarily the game altering guy.

I love Morgan's motor and how he plays the run. But at the 12th slot, I'd rather have Graham who also has the motor and production, but probably has more explosiveness in the pass rush. Having just a strong guy against the run with a good motor is not what I have in mind at 12. You can get that style player later. See Matt Roth. But Graham having that extra gear in the pass rush is.

I really like Earl Thomas. I was initially skeptical about his size but he does have some Ed Reed traits about him. I would not be devastated to get him. But I really prefer a difference maker at OLB. Sure there are some good OLB's that will be there in the 2nd, but they are more pedestrian. We need a difference maker there.

We are hampered because we do not see them interviewed and looking at X's and O's. For us to have a really educated view on comparing these guys, that's what it might come down to. Say what you want, but Parcells knows good linebackers and has for 30 plus years. And Ireland was there when Dallas brought in Ware. I am confident these guys will know the best difference maker at OLB at 12.

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Sean Weatherspoon is my pick for #12... Miami needs LB's that can cover RB's and TE's... Dansby is the lone LB right now that can do that.

FinaticalOne
03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Derrick Morgan is a scary player, one of the best motors I've seen in a very long time. I never considered him as an OLB because I've been hearing that he does not look good playing out of the two-point, and that he is more effective playing with his hand in the dirt.

If the FO believes he can play OLB, IMO it would be tough to not take him over Graham, but I still want Graham.

greasyObnoxious
03-14-2010, 05:13 AM
I think a key here is what skills are valued and make the most difference? A tremendous pass rusher can make game altering play. Getting the key sack; rushing the qb into an interception etc. The OLB who is solid against the run in setting the edge and playing hard is a nice player but not necessarily the game altering guy.

I love Morgan's motor and how he plays the run. But at the 12th slot, I'd rather have Graham who also has the motor and production, but probably has more explosiveness in the pass rush. Having just a strong guy against the run with a good motor is not what I have in mind at 12. You can get that style player later. See Matt Roth. But Graham having that extra gear in the pass rush is.

I really like Earl Thomas. I was initially skeptical about his size but he does have some Ed Reed traits about him. I would not be devastated to get him. But I really prefer a difference maker at OLB. Sure there are some good OLB's that will be there in the 2nd, but they are more pedestrian. We need a difference maker there.

We are hampered because we do not see them interviewed and looking at X's and O's. For us to have a really educated view on comparing these guys, that's what it might come down to. Say what you want, but Parcells knows good linebackers and has for 30 plus years. And Ireland was there when Dallas brought in Ware. I am confident these guys will know the best difference maker at OLB at 12.

run-stopping SOLB's can be found in later rounds. i don't want to spend a ton of money on a player that comes off the field on money downs. if you're looking SOLB that high, he better be a three-down player.

PhinsTD
03-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Eh??? And you don't think that NT Dan Williams is on that list??? So then how are you expecting them to fill the NT need, CK?

CK thinks we might not take a NT at all, due to the continued development of Solai. NT's really do take time to develop, and I'm not sure Dan Williams fills that hole this year even if he were drafted.

I can't say I'd be surprised to take one in the 6-7 range, but I'd be pretty surprised to see them draft one early after re-signing Ferguson. The NT position is a two down position, and I doubt we'd allot three roster spots to a NT for that short of time when we have other guys to help fill in at that spot.

On the flip side, if Solai were to get hurt in the first 8 games, we'd be leaving ourselves especially thin at that position for the season.

Tough call, but I'm pretty sure I'd pass on Williams for other players. Definitely pass on Cam Thomas.

Aqua and Orange
03-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Morgans numbers are very similar to Anthony Spencers when he came out. Morgans VJ, Cone, SS, and ten yrd split are slightly better but Spencers 40 ended up better. I have said since Jan that Morgan had to be high on MIA's list so this is no surprise.

Athletically Griffen is about the perfect guy to play SOLB in Miami's system but he has some motivation issues that Parcells will not tolerate. Morgan is a notch below athletically but he fits MIA's size requirements and he has the kind of motor that they want to build their team around.

Good post. I think Morgan would be a great, great fit if he were to fall. It will be a tough choice if the Dolphins are to choose between Morgan and Graham, which is increasingly likely. Getting a GT player would be a bonus for a fan of theirs like myself :hclap:

MrEd
03-14-2010, 04:07 PM
CK thinks we might not take a NT at all, due to the continued development of Solai. NT's really do take time to develop, and I'm not sure Dan Williams fills that hole this year even if he were drafted.

I can't say I'd be surprised to take one in the 6-7 range, but I'd be pretty surprised to see them draft one early after re-signing Ferguson. The NT position is a two down position, and I doubt we'd allot three roster spots to a NT for that short of time when we have other guys to help fill in at that spot.

On the flip side, if Solai were to get hurt in the first 8 games, we'd be leaving ourselves especially thin at that position for the season.

Tough call, but I'm pretty sure I'd pass on Williams for other players. Definitely pass on Cam Thomas.

:ponder: I understand the hesitance in using that #12 pick on a NT that will be playing basically 2 downs and rotating at best with Soliai... But even with Soliai developing enough to be the starter in 2010, who's his backup? Who gives him his breathers?

You said it yourself, NTs are basically 2 down players. Ok. I get that. So you have a DE play NT on 3rd down (which I don't like, but ok, I'll take that philosophy)...but then who rotates with him for the first 8 games? He will "certainly" lose stamina by the 4th Q, which matters the most.

Is CK saying that Soliai will play "every single" 1st and 2nd down of the first 8 games? Wow. That's asking a lot of an overweight player.

And that's also risking too much on a player to absolutely not get injured at all in those first 8 games...and even if he 'did' make it through, tired as he may without getting injured....what if he gets injured when Ferguson is ready to come in? Now who backs up Fergy? Who gives him his breathers at 36 years old?

I'm of the school of thought that a team "absolutely" needs 3 NTs, if they are going to be a 3-4 team. There's a reason why 3rd stringers were inserted into roster depth...because of injuries being a part of the game: Football.

Hey I may agree with you that maybe we may wait for a project type to develop in the later rounds, but I definitely don't agree with CK that we won't be grabbing 'any'??? :err:

fin_fan23
03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
from nfl.com (just the messenger here)

Morgan has been an extremely productive starter for the Yellow Jackets over the past two seasons. He has a good combination of size and athleticism for a 4-3 defensive end. He doesn’t appear to have the overall athleticism to project him as an outside backer in a 3-4 scheme. Morgan has improved his overall hand use and counter moves as a pass rusher with good quickness to close to the quarterback. He needs to improve his pad level and power at the point as a run defender but gives consistent effort in this phase of the game. Morgan is an excellent football player that should test out well for his dimensions and likely be highly touted in the 2010 draft.

weighed in at 266 at the combine.

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
evidently morgan did no lb drills at his pro day...hmmm :ponder:

Geforce
03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
evidently morgan did no lb drills at his pro day...hmmm :ponder:
I'm not sure where you got your information from but according to NFL.com's Steve Wyche
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816f7941&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Morgan, who had 12.5 sacks last season in his junior year, did just about any type of interior and edge-rushing drill there is, and he dropped back off the line of scrimmage and performed fairly well in some outside linebacker, pass-coverage drills. Morgan looked much smoother in pass drops than he did at the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine), despite going through drills in cool temperatures and a semi-wet FieldTurf surface.

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure where you got your information from but according to NFL.com's Steve Wyche
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816f7941&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

huh...well thanks for that...i read on another site that he only did defensive line drills...

thanks

DcRy82
03-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I personally think E. Griffen would be better than Morgan. If we go OLB I hope its either graham or griffen... Or Weatherspoon if they think he can play outside

Elliott 1
03-16-2010, 12:54 AM
There is 0 chance the Dolphins draft Derrick Morgan. He is a 4-3 DE only. I'm all for drafting talented people and trying to get them plugged in, but not with the 1st or 2nd round pick.

Tiko377
03-16-2010, 01:07 AM
According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, "just about everyone in attendance" at Georgia Tech's Pro Day believed Derrick Morgan will be a 4-3 defensive end in the NFL -- not a 3-4 outside linebacker.
Morgan struggled badly when asked to drop and change direction at the Combine. He was a bit better at Monday's Pro Day, but at 6'3/266 Morgan's best fit appears to be as a base, 4-3 right or left defensive end. Mayock expects Morgan to be drafted somewhere in the top 10-20, though it appears we can cross most 3-4 clubs off the list of potential landing spots.

well bye bye morgan