PDA

View Full Version : Who Will We Pick at OLB? Part 1(My Thoughts)

Oraclepz
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Now i must admit since i dont watch West Coast NCAA Football as much as i watch East, Ive held back on my opinion on the OLB pick. I decided to stop looking at mock drafts/ listening to people and start looking at Tape of the guys i think stand the best Chance of being drafted by us. I want to make my own opinion and see how it goes.

Heres what i came up with.

i looked at tape from players who have the possibility of converting to 3-4 OLB

Sean Witherspoon
Stevenson Sylvester
Carlos Dunlap
Jason Pierre-Paul
Brandon Graham
Everson Griffen
Greg Hardy
Jerry Hughes
Sergio Kindle
Koa Misi
Derrick Morgan
Ricky Sapp
Jason Worlids
Eric Norwood

I eliminated some of these guys because they dont fit the Bill Parcells 3-4 OLB mold. So here are the eliminations and the reasons why.

Sean Witherspoon- Only 6'1 239 lbs Too Small
Greg Hardy- Too Slow Running a 4.87
Stevenson Sylvester- 6'2 231lbs.. Too Small

This next group is a undersized because of height only but still have a good chance of getting drafted.

Brandon Graham- Only 6'1 but 268 lbs. Played well in Senior Bowl
Jerry Hughes- 6'2 255lbs Good Speed 4.59 40 Very experienced
Eric Norwood- Only 6'1 245 lbs 4.67 40
Jason Worilds- Only 6'1 254lbs 4.61 40

The next Group Fits the Prototypical size. Then i list comments why we will not draft them.

Carlos Dunlap- Good Height, too thin, lazy concerns, character issues (DUI arrest)

Jason Pierre-Paul- Not enough experience, did not completely dominate and quite frankly a lil bit too risky for my liking. I know him very well for obvious reasons.

This is the Group where i think we stand the best chance of getting our OLBs from.

Everson Griffen- Great height, weight, speed and strength. His film jumps out.

Sergio Kindle- Very surprised when i saw his film. Great at rushing the QB.

Koa Misi- Couldnt find film on this guy... Any one know if there is film available???

Derrick Morgan- Good Size Speed and Great at rushing the Passer.

Ricky Sapp- Just About perfect for our D Prototypical size, weight, can rush the passer.

Conclusion...theres more film to watch but this is my preliminary rankings and im going to keep working on this list till right before the draft.

My rankings as of now.

1. Derrick Morgan
2 Everson Griffen
3. Ricky Sapp
4. Sergio Kindle
5. Jerry Hughes
6. Brandon Graham
7. Jason Worilds
8. Eric Norwood
9. Koa Misi ( Because of Incomplete Eval)

Now whether you agree or not . Thoughts??? Lets discuss.:)

j-off-her-doll
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd flop B. Graham and R. Sapp and then move J. Hughes ahead of Kindle. After that, I might have minor disagreements, but I couldn't complain about the list.

DOC33
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Griffen's motivation has been a concern and will be a red flag for MIA which will move him way down on their board. I also dont think that Worilds and Norwood will be given much consideration as they do not meet the FINS size requirements. They could possibly take a chance with Hughes if he were to reach the 2nd rd which is doubtful but he does not meet their size requirements either. Kindle also has some chararcter issues so I think he moves down as well. They might not even consider Graham because of size. IMO the only players they would consider in the first round for the OLB position would be Morgan and Sapp

As for 2nd and 3rd rd guys I would add Daniel Te'o-Neshiem to you list.

Oraclepz
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
I'd flop B. Graham and R. Sapp and then move J. Hughes ahead of Kindle. After that, I might have minor disagreements, but I couldn't complain about the list.

i honestly think there is very little chance we draft Graham.

#1dolphinsfan
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Sean Weatherspoon is one of my favorite players in this years draft but i think he is a ILB in the 3-4 defense and a OLB in the 4-3 defense

Chubby
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Sean Weatherspoon is one of my favorite players in this years draft but i think he is a ILB in the 3-4 defense and a OLB in the 4-3 defense

I love Weatherspoon, its a shame he doesnt fit our system and need, would love to have someone with his character, ability and leadership on our defense. Most likely will be drafted by Atlanta.

Always wondered if he would be able to play/fill our SOLB for need.
Chubbs

BobDole
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Now i must admit since i dont watch West Coast NCAA Football as much as i watch East, Ive held back on my opinion on the OLB pick. I decided to stop looking at mock drafts/ listening to people and start looking at Tape of the guys i think stand the best Chance of being drafted by us. I want to make my own opinion and see how it goes.

Heres what i came up with.

i looked at tape from players who have the possibility of converting to 3-4 OLB

Sean Witherspoon
Stevenson Sylvester
Carlos Dunlap
Jason Pierre-Paul
Brandon Graham
Everson Griffen
Greg Hardy
Jerry Hughes
Sergio Kindle
Koa Misi
Derrick Morgan
Ricky Sapp
Jason Worlids
Eric Norwood

I eliminated some of these guys because they dont fit the Bill Parcells 3-4 OLB mold. So here are the eliminations and the reasons why.

Sean Witherspoon- Only 6'1 239 lbs Too Small
Greg Hardy- Too Slow Running a 4.87
Stevenson Sylvester- 6'2 231lbs.. Too Small

This next group is a undersized because of height only but still have a good chance of getting drafted.

Brandon Graham- Only 6'1 but 268 lbs. Played well in Senior Bowl
Jerry Hughes- 6'2 255lbs Good Speed 4.59 40 Very experienced
Eric Norwood- Only 6'1 245 lbs 4.67 40
Jason Worilds- Only 6'1 254lbs 4.61 40

The next Group Fits the Prototypical size. Then i list comments why we will not draft them.

Carlos Dunlap- Good Height, too thin, lazy concerns, character issues (DUI arrest)

Jason Pierre-Paul- Not enough experience, did not completely dominate and quite frankly a lil bit too risky for my liking. I know him very well for obvious reasons.

This is the Group where i think we stand the best chance of getting our OLBs from.

Everson Griffen- Great height, weight, speed and strength. His film jumps out.

Sergio Kindle- Very surprised when i saw his film. Great at rushing the QB.

Koa Misi- Couldnt find film on this guy... Any one know if there is film available???

Derrick Morgan- Good Size Speed and Great at rushing the Passer.

Ricky Sapp- Just About perfect for our D Prototypical size, weight, can rush the passer.

Conclusion...theres more film to watch but this is my preliminary rankings and im going to keep working on this list till right before the draft.

My rankings as of now.

1. Derrick Morgan
2 Everson Griffen
3. Ricky Sapp
4. Sergio Kindle
5. Jerry Hughes
6. Brandon Graham
7. Jason Worilds
8. Eric Norwood
9. Koa Misi ( Because of Incomplete Eval)

Now whether you agree or not . Thoughts??? Lets discuss.:)

not bad at all.

my top 9 of those guys would look like this:

1. hughes
2. morgan
3. graham
4. norwood
5. griffen
6. sapp
7. kindle
8. worlds
9. that other guy i know nothing about

skipp2myloo13
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Worlits had the fastest 10 yrd. Last years fastest 10 yard was Matthews and he was DROY. Not saying..Just saying.

newlownorder
03-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Worilds>Sapp.

52CANES
03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Griffen's motivation has been a concern and will be a red flag for MIA which will move him way down on their board. I also dont think that Worilds and Norwood will be given much consideration as they do not meet the FINS size requirements. They could possibly take a chance with Hughes if he were to reach the 2nd rd which is doubtful but he does not meet their size requirements either. Kindle also has some chararcter issues so I think he moves down as well. They might not even consider Graham because of size. IMO the only players they would consider in the first round for the OLB position would be Morgan and Sapp

As for 2nd and 3rd rd guys I would add Daniel Te'o-Neshiem to you list.

lol I hope we arent considering Sapp for the 1st round when the rest of the world is looking at 2nd, maybe 3rd round. Unless we hear that the patriots want him in the 1st then maybe we will reach.

Oraclepz
03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
ok after reviewing everything this is my final rankings.

1. Derrick Morgan

The guy is impressive i think hes the complete package. Size, Speed, Good Motor. I think he will make a smooth transition to a 3-4 LB.

2. Brandon Graham

I originally thought he was undersized a bit which he is. On the other hand i took at our LB right now and we have a couple of LBs that are 6'2, so its not as big of a deal as i originally thought.

3. Jerry Hughes

Great at rushing the passer. He was athletic enough to play RB. He was recruited as a RB. TCU HC Patterson likes to recruit RBs and turn them into LBs.

4. Sergio Kindle

Hard to judge this guy. I think this guy is gonna be good but i have a hard time deciding whos better between him and Hughes. I would be happy with either one of those guys.

5. Everson Griffen

Excellent size, speed. Has experience dropping into coverage. Not as explosive as Hughes, Kindle or Graham which is why i have him below them.

6. Jason Worilds

I like his motor. Constantly moving his feet. Looks to Disengage and looks good dropping into zone coverages. Nice pick in 3rd 4th rounds if he makes it that far.

6. Ricky Sapp

Dont know what i was smoking originally rating him pretty high. Upon watching more tape on him, ive noticed that he is absolutely terrible against the run.

Im having a little trouble getting tape of Koa Misi and Eric Norwood. I cant really rank them until i see tape on them..

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I think Thaddeus Gibson has more upside as a 3 down player than Norwood.....and I've always touted Norwood....best pass rusher in the SEC...

But he's proven to be pretty clueless and a liability in coverage....probably a situational pass rusher unless he gets those coverage issues worked out....but you flat out better block him when he's on the field....or he's going to be draped all over your quarterback...

Gibson on the other hand, is experienced playing in space and dropping into coverage....and picking off passes.....and every time he runs, lifts, or interviews for somebody....his stock improves....he's an impressive athlete and football player...

Elliott 1
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
If JT is re-signed, there is a really good chance that OLB isn't addressed until the 4th or 6th round.

There is also a very good chance that some of the 2nd tier DE's may turn out to be better than than the guys who went in the first three rounds.

Arthur Moats,Lindsey Whitten and Daniel Te'o Nesheim may turn out to be better than
Norwood,Hughes, and Pierre Paul.

Look at Gholston and Harvey and many, many others.

I think that too much credence is given to where a kid plays his college ball rather than how well he performs on the field.

Level of competition doesn't always seem to be the indicator it is made out to be.

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I think Thaddeus Gibson has more upside as a 3 down player than Norwood.....and I've always touted Norwood....best pass rusher in the SEC...

But he's proven to be pretty clueless and a liability in coverage....probably a situational pass rusher unless he gets those coverage issues worked out....but you flat out better block him when he's on the field....or he's going to be draped all over your quarterback...

Gibson on the other hand, is experienced playing in space and dropping into coverage....and picking off passes.....and every time he runs, lifts, or interviews for somebody....his stock improves....he's an impressive athlete and football player...

yeah but do you put gibson over kao misi??? that's a tough one for me...i rewatched the senior bowl and misi looked so natural dropping into zone coverage and attacking the ball from a stand up position...i think i'd lean misi but i like them both...i see misi as a very solid pro...

i absolutely agree that eric norwood is a situational pass rusher at the next level...

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
yeah but do you put gibson over kao misi??? that's a tough one for me...i rewatched the senior bowl and misi looked so natural dropping into zone coverage and attacking the ball from a stand up position...i think i'd lean misi but i like them both...i see misi as a very solid pro...

i absolutely agree that eric norwood is a situational pass rusher at the next level...

No I actually have Misi somewhere between 43-53 on my board (mid 2nd round)....Gibson somewhere between 74-84 on my board (mid 3rd round)...

Go back and read some of my quick thoughts on Misi in the Poinsettia Bowl thread from back in December....

They're virtually pretty close to the same player in my opinion....with Misi being a little more experienced standing up....but it wouldn't surprise me if both end up good players...

39wildman
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
i like noorwood he is a game changer.. he woulkd be good fo us too;;;

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 09:46 PM
No I actually have Misi somewhere between 43-53 on my board (mid 2nd round)....Gibson somewhere between 74-84 on my board (mid 3rd round)...

Go back and read some of my quick thoughts on Misi in the Poinsettia Bowl thread from back in December....

They're virtually pretty close to the same player in my opinion....with Misi being a little more experienced standing up....but it wouldn't surprise me if both end up good players...

how do you think misi will perform as a pass rusher??? i don't really see him as a high sack performer

misi above worilds and sapp due to the injury concerns with both of them???

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
how do you think misi will perform as a pass rusher??? i don't really see him as a high sack performer

misi above worilds and sapp due to the injury concerns with both of them???

I dont see either of them as high sack performers....but that's not really what I'd envision them to do when if I drafted them either...

Maybe 6-8 sacks would be the most I would expect in that department...

If I want a potential high sack performer....I'm drafting guy's like Brandon Graham, Hughes, etc...

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
if you're viewing misi and gibson as wolb's wouldn't the pass rush be paramount...or am i missing something in the way we would use them???

looks like 10 olbs with top 3 round grades

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 10:01 PM
i meant to tell you i think we should introduce cameron sheffield back into the convert player group...

he ran a mid 4.8 at his pro day and all indications were he looked good in his change of direction drills...had good test #s also at his pro day...

i don't mean anything top 4 rounds but maybe something we consider later depending on what we do in the first 4 rounds...

sheffield wasn't bad in the lb drills at the combine he just ran real slow

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
if you're viewing misi and gibson as wolb's wouldn't the pass rush be paramount...or am i missing something in the way we would use them???

looks like 10 olbs with top 3 round grades

Well that's not really either of their strengths is what I'm getting at....

If one of them could come in and give me double digit sacks as rookie like Clay Matthews did that would be great....but they'd be 1st round picks if I thought they could do that....and you know I wanted Clay Matthews at #25 last year...

They're both good coverage guys....unless they're blitzing from a 2-point stance (ala Woodley), they're probably going to be doing other things....somebody has to cover....you can't rush 7 guys every play...

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
how much is the wolb in mike nolans defense gonna be asked to cover??? i don't really know that answer...

where's ck when you need him??? lol

i agree that neither misi or gibson are explosive off the edge like a clay matthews...thus not 1st round potential players

Mr. Magoo
03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
how much is the wolb in mike nolans defense gonna be asked to cover???

If I recall from CK's write up, the wolb rushed the passer 70% of the time. I don't think he specified if the other 30% was mostly into zone or man to man. You'd think zone, but you never know.

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
If I recall from CK's write up, the wolb rushed the passer 70% of the time. I don't think he specified if the other 30% was mostly into zone or man to man. You'd think zone, but you never know.

that was kinda the # i had in my head also...but i think ck said this year that under pasqualodotti the wolb rushed the passer 90% of the time...

so if that's the case we're gonna ask our wolb to cover more in this new system...don't know how great a fit cameron wake is for that...i'm starting to lean that cameron wake is not viewed the long term wolb and more the 3rd rusher with his hand in the dirt on passing downs in this new defense...

tough call...

XxfeensterxX
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Brandon Graham is the perfect SOLB for us. All around solid player. Lmarr Woodley clone.

I really do think he will translate into the NFL very very smoothly.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-16-2010, 12:25 AM
IMO I think the best of them is Brandon Graham, Now being said...
I think we would take him if we decide to go OLB in draft because I think its Nolans defence now and we all know Parcells calls the shots but I think Nolan will be in the mix to draft day when they take defence and Graham is not to short in Nolans Defence.... Example Elvis Dumervil 5-11/ Brandon Graham 6-1...

Mr. Magoo
03-16-2010, 01:02 AM
IMO I think the best of them is Brandon Graham, Now being said...
I think we would take him if we decide to go OLB in draft because I think its Nolans defence now and we all know Parcells calls the shots but I think Nolan will be in the mix to draft day when they take defence and Graham is not to short in Nolans Defence.... Example Elvis Dumervil 5-11/ Brandon Graham 6-1...

Dumervill wasn't drafted by Nolan, though. A very important distinction. Also he's on the weakside, which is another important distinction.

I frankly do think Graham's lack of height is going to be a problem for them there. He's just under 6'1 and a half and 270 pounds, whereas most of these guys that either Nolan or Ireland or Parcells have had a hand in drafting for that position are more in the 6'3+, 255 pound mold. That's what they look for.

Remember, if Graham is the pick he'll be lined up over the tight end most of the time and at least some of the time asked to cover him a ways down the field. Most tight ends in the NFL are at least 6'3. A great many of them are taller than that.

Plus, even if he's not asked to cover the TE man to man, he'll still be sitting back in a zone, where every inch taller you are is another inch a quarterback can't be off on his throw.

That's kind of the problem with this whole DE/OLB class. A lot of the higher rated guys are short, relatively speaking. Graham, Hughes, Worilds all stand shorter than 6'2.

Guys like Sapp, Hughes, Misi and Cunningham fit the mold better, but all have problems of their own. In the Dolphins' War Room it will very much come down to a matter of trade offs. Trade offs they might be more willing to live with farther down the draft than @ #12.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-16-2010, 01:04 AM
What I was saying is now since he coached Dumervil I think he may of changed the size factor... Just my opinion though.

XxfeensterxX
03-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Remember, if Graham is the pick he'll be lined up over the tight end most of the time and at least some of the time asked to cover him a ways down the field. Most tight ends in the NFL are at least 6'3. A great many of them are taller than that.

Its working out for Lmarr Woodley. Drafting Graham is much easier now we have Dansby on the roster. It would be a piece of cake if we had a good cover FS.

*Cough*Atgowe*Cough*

Mr. Magoo
03-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Woodley was also a 2nd round pick.

Oraclepz
04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
ok after reviewing everything this is my final rankings.

1. Derrick Morgan

The guy is impressive i think hes the complete package. Size, Speed, Good Motor. I think he will make a smooth transition to a 3-4 LB.

2. Brandon Graham

I originally thought he was undersized a bit which he is. On the other hand i took at our LB right now and we have a couple of LBs that are 6'2, so its not as big of a deal as i originally thought.

3. Jerry Hughes

Great at rushing the passer. He was athletic enough to play RB. He was recruited as a RB. TCU HC Patterson likes to recruit RBs and turn them into LBs.

4. Sergio Kindle

Hard to judge this guy. I think this guy is gonna be good but i have a hard time deciding whos better between him and Hughes. I would be happy with either one of those guys.

5. Everson Griffen

Excellent size, speed. Has experience dropping into coverage. Not as explosive as Hughes, Kindle or Graham which is why i have him below them.

6. Jason Worilds

I like his motor. Constantly moving his feet. Looks to Disengage and looks good dropping into zone coverages. Nice pick in 3rd 4th rounds if he makes it that far.

6. Ricky Sapp

Dont know what i was smoking originally rating him pretty high. Upon watching more tape on him, ive noticed that he is absolutely terrible against the run.

Im having a little trouble getting tape of Koa Misi and Eric Norwood. I cant really rank them until i see tape on them..

So guys leading up to the draft how do you guys feel my rankings stack up? Do you agree?? Disagree? Who would you move and where?

3rdandinches
04-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I still think S.Kindle is the pick, he has everything the Parcell's mold asks for, size, speed, big time program and a resume with depth. Two things can change that.....1. does JPP's upside overtake the lack of college production in terms of years.....2. can D.Morgan really fit well as a 34 OLB if so we grabb one of these two if there are any doubts then S.Kindle is the man. I also see a possibility to move back of a handfull of spots to still grab S.Kindle where Morgan and JPP will probably be gone.

korl68
04-17-2010, 10:57 PM
You forgot to factor in the big school and multiple years of producing criteria.

Taking that into account it would come down to:

Derrick Morgan
Brandon Graham
Sergio Kindle

Now which of the 3 is the most natural OLB in that group?

Graham is shorter than ideal and with shorter arms.
Derrick Morgan looked stiff in LB drills and is not conclusive that he could convert to OLB.

So in my opinion IF we go OLB first Kindle is the most natural fit unless there is something hidden about him the trifecta does not like.

I do not think we will go NT or FS in the first unless Berry falls to us or we are really in love with E. Thomas which I do not think fits Bill's size profile.

Damn 3rd you beat me to my post about Kindle. LOL

Oraclepz
03-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Looking back at old posts... for the most part i think most of us did pretty good.. im thinking this year im going to pick a position we def need and go ahead and do this again...especially seeing as none of us knew anything about Koa..

utahphinsfan
03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Looking back at old posts... for the most part i think most of us did pretty good.. im thinking this year im going to pick a position we def need and go ahead and do this again...especially seeing as none of us knew anything about Koa..

Not true. Someone did & modest me won't reveal who? :chuckle:

Mr. Magoo
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
A few people mentioned Misi.

In my list of 20 players I thought we might draft, I actually got all four linebackers that we picked, using the"profile" rationale I laid out in my post.