PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Demaryious thomas better than dez bryant?

Quadfather
03-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Ive heard somebody say that one G.M. say that Demaryious Thomas is better than Calvin Johnson and if he does well at his pro day he could be a top 10 pick. they guy averaged over 20 yards a catch in a wishbone offense. thats hard to do. not only that, but tim ryan and pat kirwin of moving the chains on sirius nfl radio dont think that dez bryant will get drafted in the first round because of all his baggage. could demaryious thomas be the pick for us at 12? personally i think its between dan williams and earl thomas for us, but who knows? maybe from these reports we could get dez bryant in round 2.

TedSlimmJr
03-12-2010, 05:04 PM
What you have to realize is that the the triple option offense he played in under Paul Johnson aided his outstanding YPC average...

If you paid any attention to how seldom GT threw the football and how they threw it....the rare occasion that they did throw it was usually a long pass downfield to Thomas 70% of the time....naturally all he has to do is catch it and the YPC average is going to be sky high...

Anthony McCoy also averaged over 20 YPC playing TE in a pro style offense with a true freshman quarterback pulling the trigger......if that's what the talking heads are going by then he should be mentioned as being better than Dez Bryant...

Clipse
03-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I love Thomas, but I'm not so sure about im being better than Calvin or Dez. I do think he will be a very good pro though, and is exactly what this team needs.

thejetssuck
03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Hopefully this post is PC enough for which ever mod keeps deleting my posts.

Dez Bryant will not be available at the 12th pick let alone 43. In the world of fantasy and imagination, it would be great if we could pick up Dez in the 2nd. But it is probably not going to happen. I hope you a ll have a great fantastic wonderful day!!

miami71
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
D. Thomas reminds me of B. Marshall a little. Good size, good at playing the ball in the air. I haven't seen a forty time, but he appears to get good separation.

outlawd2u
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Come on.... I'm not buying any of this for one second. Thomas is nowhere nearly as good as Calvin Johnson and I'd be willing to bet a pretty large amount that Dez doesn't fall to the 2nd round.

Roman529
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I would say D. Thomas is probably a little slower then C. Johnson, but I think D. Thomas is harder to bring down. If you don't get a good tackle on Thomas he is gone and he has all kinds of hand/arm strength to drop defenders with a stiff arm. I like him a little more then Dez Bryant...I think he is a safer pick.

justdev7
03-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Nobody is as good as Calvin Johnson. Bey Bey isn't as good as Dez Bryant either.

MiamiDolfan85
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM
personal preferrence...I'd rather take D. Thomas at 43 than Bryant at 12....

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 06:51 PM

That's an entirely different question than what's being posed in the thread, though.

MiamiDolfan85
03-12-2010, 06:54 PM
That's an entirely different question than what's being posed in the thread, though.
Im not responding to the OP,I just overread a post in the htread about getting Dez Bryant...

jim1
03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
D. Thomas reminds me of B. Marshall a little. Good size, good at playing the ball in the air. I haven't seen a forty time, but he appears to get good separation.

I like him, but I still have questions about his quickness and ability to separate at the pro level. He just doesn't look all that quick to me, much less so than Dez Bryant. Lots of very good qualities, but I don't see explosion in his game. He had a crazy ypc number, but that's a different story.

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
You know what, all this stuff where for the sake of intrigue and hit counts, debate and excitement, people all start purporting players to be better than long-accepted best-in-position types...has to stop. First Gerald McCoy is better than Ndamukong Suh. Except oh wait, he's really not. Then Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry. Except, oh wait he's really not. Now Demaryius Thomas is better than Dez Bryant. Except, oh wait he's really not. Next it will be Ryan Matthews better than C.J. Spiller. Watch. Then it'll be Brandon Graham over Derrick Morgan. I'm not exempting myself, I'm out there pounding the pavement on Kareem Jackson being better than Joe Haden. You can even taste that people WANT to start talking about how either Sean Weatherspoon or who knows, maybe Daryl Washington? Are better than Rolando McClain.

It's juicy, it's entertaining, sometimes it's even true.

It's easy to get all creamy for Demaryius Thomas when he breaks his foot and he can't work out for you, after his agent starts sending out video tapes where the guy supposedly ran a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash. Then, when he goes in front of the scouts just before the draft and runs the 40, if he doesn't run a 4.38 then it's OK...because it'll then be a product of BeyBey still recovering from his broken foot.

It provides a stark contrast to Dez Bryant who hasn't worked out yet because he's chosen not to work out yet, and nobody is sending out any doctored videos of his times because they want to save it for when he does work out.

I love Demaryius Thomas but this stuff about him being better than Dez Bryant should stop. Demaryius Thomas is Hakeem Nicks MINUS the polish. Nicks went at the tail end of the first round. If BeyBey goes higher than that, it's not because he's a better prospect. Dez Bryant is just a different caliber receiver. Bryant may not be a technician yet from a fundamental standpoint, but he's leagues ahead of the guy that ran like two or three routes out of the triple option and spent the rest of his time blocking like a tight end. He's got a better second gear, more consistent hands, and faced more valid defenses and defenders.

This stuff about Dez Bryant having all this "baggage" yes, yes, it's all very intriguing and we love our little NFL Draft soap operas but anyone who has REALLY dug into his life knows that he's a trusting, good kid with a hellish background that isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and is still coming into his own from a work ethic standpoint but has improved every year. He isn't one of those kids that hates all authority figures and is obsessed with 'disrespect'. If you can't get anything out of Dez Bryant then you're a sh-tty coach, I'll tell you that right now.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
that's right... go get dez bryant

jim1
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
You know what, all this stuff where for the sake of intrigue and hit counts, debate and excitement, people all start purporting players to be better than long-accepted best-in-position types...has to stop. First Gerald McCoy is better than Ndamukong Suh. Except oh wait, he's really not. Then Earl Thomas is better than Eric Berry. Except, oh wait he's really not. Now Demaryius Thomas is better than Dez Bryant. Except, oh wait he's really not. Next it will be Ryan Matthews better than C.J. Spiller. Watch. Then it'll be Brandon Graham over Derrick Morgan. I'm not exempting myself, I'm out there pounding the pavement on Kareem Jackson being better than Joe Haden. You can even taste that people WANT to start talking about how either Sean Weatherspoon or who knows, maybe Daryl Washington? Are better than Rolando McClain.

It's easy to get all creamy for Demaryius Thomas when he breaks his foot and he can't work out for you, after his agent starts sending out video tapes where the guy supposedly ran a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash. Then, when he goes in front of the scouts just before the draft and runs the 40, if he doesn't run a 4.38 then it's OK...because it'll then be a product of BeyBey still recovering from his broken foot.

It provides a stark contrast to Dez Bryant who hasn't worked out yet because he's chosen not to work out yet, and nobody is sending out any doctored videos of his times because they want to save it for when he does work out.

I love Demaryius Thomas but this stuff about him being better than Dez Bryant should stop. Demaryius Thomas is Hakeem Nicks MINUS the polish. Nicks went at the tail end of the first round. If BeyBey goes higher than that, it's not because he's a better prospect. Dez Bryant is just a different caliber receiver. Bryant may not be a technician yet from a fundamental standpoint, but he's leagues ahead of the guy that ran like two or three routes out of the triple option and spent the rest of his time blocking like a tight end. He's got a better second gear, more consistent hands, and faced more valid defenses and defenders.

This stuff about Dez Bryant having all this "baggage" yes, yes, it's all very intriguing and we love our little NFL Draft soap operas but anyone who has REALLY dug into his life knows that he's a trusting, good kid with a hellish background that isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and is still coming into his own from a work ethic standpoint but has improved every year. He isn't one of those kids that hates all authority figures and is obsessed with 'disrespect'. If you can't get anything out of Dez Bryant then you're a sh-tty coach, I'll tell you that right now.

Given the choice between DT and Nicks I'd take Nicks. It keeps going back to that one word- explosion. Not straight line speed, not ypc, but explosion. Secong gear, speed out of breaks, shiftiness- that kind of stuff.

Dogbone34
03-12-2010, 07:33 PM
You can even taste that people WANT to start talking about how either Sean Weatherspoon or who knows, maybe Daryl Washington? Are better than Rolando McClain.

Guilty. I like both of those guys.

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 07:35 PM

I couldn't agree more. And it happens every year. Even NFL teams seem to buy into it now and then. Drives me absolutely crazy.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
i'd take nicks also over bebe...and it's not that close for me

ckparrothead
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Like I said, BeyBey is Hakeem Nicks WITHOUT the polish. He's clearly a worse prospect.

thejetssuck
03-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Thank you for essentially posting what i posted earlier, which got deleted by the mods!!! Guess next time I should drop fewer F bombs when I rant and tell people to get their heads out of there ***** :lol:

j-off-her-doll
03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
If you can't get anything out of Dez Bryant then you're a sh-tty coach, I'll tell you that right now.

Agree completely. That said, I don't think the world of D. Henning.

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
It's funny, because I see a lot of Nicks in Dez Bryant, too. The strength, the run after catch ability, the ability to make the spectacular catch. Has better speed than Nicks but with less overt physicality. Nicks I think is going to have a career a lot like Boldin. Eventually he'll slow down, as he doesn't have elite natural speed, but he'll have a long second stage of his career as a possession/run after catch receiver.

And all of that's a good thing. I had Britt and Nicks 1 and 1a last year. I don't think Bryant has Britt's elite physical gifts, but he's a more consistent catcher and better with the football in his hands. But then again, I had Britt a lot higher than most people did last year, and he returned the favor by having a real good rookie season (which of course he did for that reason).

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
britt was a specimen but he had for my eyes suspect hands...didn't seem to catch the ball with his hands all that cleanly...

nicks was the most nfl ready receiver last year not named michael crabtree...loved nicks...still do

but i disagree that nicks is a more physical player than dez bryant...dez bryant carries cats when he's being tackled...i didn't see many instances of where one guy brought dez bryant down it was tackle by mob...

if nicks was in this years draft as a prospect heck and even crabtree i'd say that it would go:

1. dez bryant
2. michael crabtree
3. hakeem nicks
4. arrelius benn

as much as i loved michael crabtree as a pro prospect last year with those wonderful hands of his he even doesn't offer the vertical over the top presence that a dez bryant brings to the table...

i think dez bryant is as physically gifted a wr since calvin johnson and imo slightly more nfl ready than calvin coming out...

TheBow305
03-12-2010, 09:33 PM

I don't really prefer one to the other, but I really hope we get one of them at one of those spots.

If we don't take Dez at 12, I am PRAYING for Bey Bey at 43.

Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to BOTH. :)

playeragent26
03-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Like Michael Jackson would say, "Got to be starting something, wanna be starting something'.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Like Michael Jackson would say, "Got to be starting something, wanna be starting something'.

you can go ahead and put me down for the moon walk around my entire great room if we come out of the draft at pick #12 with dez bryant...and the groin grab on my tippy toes as the grand finale...

jim1
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
you can go ahead and put me down for the moon walk around my entire great room if we come out of the draft at pick #12 with dez bryant...and the groin grab on my tippy toes as the grand finale...

That would be the ideal situation at #12, other than maybe trading down. I still like Arrelious Benn quite a bit. I could see trading up in the 2nd to get him if he lasts that long, maybe our 2nd and a 4th. I could see S Chad Jones in rd 2, though. And as always I like LB Sean Lee in the 3rd. Still intrigued by but wary of Mike Williams in the 4th. Also keeping an eye on Carlton Mitchell.

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
I agree hooshoops. Bryant is the best of the bunch from these last two years. Given his overall game, his speed is really the thing that separates him. It's why a lot of people end up comparing him to Andre Johnson, because guys that big and strong aren't supposed to be that fast. I would still disagree on him being stronger than Hicks, but he's definitely the more impressive athlete overall.

I wasn't the fan of Crabtree's a lot of people were, though. Great hands, but that system threw up some major red flags about his overall game, especially his ability to threaten deep. Only average size, questionable character... though don't they all have that now (besides Johnson, of course, the freak)? Makes your WR coach a pretty vital guy, doesn't it? Anyhow, I had him at the top of my second group with Harvin and Maclin.

But I agree, everyone falls before Calvin Johnson. Calvin Johnson might be the single freakiest, shouldn't-be-physically-possible thing in the NFL. The guy melts my brain.

Sorry, hooshoops, I misread your earlier post re: Johnson and tried to edit. Whoops!

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 10:22 PM
i don't think bryant is more physically gifted than calvin johnson...calvin johnson is a flat out freak in that dept...i do think that if you took calvin johnson before he was drafted and dez bryant right now that bryant is the slightly more nfl ready player at the same stage...

i'm telling you guys we pass on dez bryant we're gonna regret it...we may get a good lb we may get a good free safety but if what we need is to acquire nfl talent...and talent talent talent is exactly what we need we should not pass this kid up...he's as talented as any wr since calvin johnson...don't pass it up

sprint the card to the commish and let the good times roll...

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 10:56 PM
The problem with Demaryious is that he's such a complete unknown it's even more important than most players that he work out. How much work is he going to need before he can run a square in, or a quick slant, or the skinny post? All I've really seen him run is the fly, a sort of lazy-*** rounded post corner, the bubble screen and the deep comeback. What kind of fluidity and suddenness is he going to show when he has to stick his foot in the ground to get separation? And I haven't even talked about his ability to read coverage, which you would have to assume is nearly zero. All he's got right now you can be sure of is great blocking ability, good speed and the ability to high point the football in traffic.

You know what's sort of funny is that in a lot of ways he's kind of a muscled-up, very physical Ted Ginn with better hands. Ginn only ran those few routes in college also, but he's actually become a pretty good route runner three years down the road. But then again, he had the speed and ability to do it, just not the experience. Thomas is so raw right now it would be hard to see him being active for most of his first year. And that's assuming he has the natural ability to get open in the first place, which is no guarantee.

Aqua and Orange
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd love Thomas, but he is likely going to go late first round. Unless we trade down, I see him getting nabbed smack dab in the middle of our two pick positions.

A great combine could have elevated him to #12 talk, but his foot problem squashed that.

ckparrothead
03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
I actually do think Hakeem Nicks is more physical than Dez Bryant, and so is Demaryius Thomas. That's not a knock on Dez, that's just saying that both guys are extremely physical after the catch.

I had Nicks rated way, way, way higher than a lot of people, he and Crabtree were 1 and 1a to me. I had to admit that Crabtree was better, but it was reluctant admission. If all three of them were to come out in the same draft, it would be a tough call for me. They're all revolving very closely around one another in my eyes.

Funny that we're mentioning Dez but I'm doing my final write-up of him right now.

It's not the speed. It's not the hands. It's not the physicality. It's not the routes. It's not the attitude. It's not the jumping. It's not the open field running.

It's all of the above. You can't see a single route without thinking of two good things he did on that play, even if the ball didn't go to him. To me any talk of Demaryius Thomas being ahead of him is flat out ABSURD.

hooshoops
03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
The problem with Demaryious is that he's such a complete unknown it's even more important than most players that he work out. How much work is he going to need before he can run a square in, or a quick slant, or the skinny post? All I've really seen him run is the fly, a sort of lazy-*** rounded post corner, the bubble screen and the deep comeback. What kind of fluidity and suddenness is he going to show when he has to stick his foot in the ground to get separation? And I haven't even talked about his ability to read coverage, which you would have to assume is nearly zero. All he's got right now you can be sure of is great blocking ability, good speed and the ability to high point the football in traffic.

You know what's sort of funny is that in a lot of ways he's kind of a muscled-up, very physical Ted Ginn with better hands. Ginn only ran those few routes in college also, but he's actually become a pretty good route runner three years down the road. But then again, he had the speed and ability to do it, just not the experience. Thomas is so raw right now it would be hard to see him being active for most of his first year. And that's assuming he has the natural ability to get open in the first place, which is no guarantee.

my thoughts exactly...you see many instances on tape of bebe getting separation from dbs??? cause i don't...

the thing i think from the get go might make bebe active on game day if we took him would be the wildcat...he'd be a massive run blocker who could peel back and crack lbs and take out dbs...

i'd also have him on the field on any short yardage situations that involve a wr or even as the extra te in a few sets and let him be a play action option...

there are definitely ways you can get him on the field and to contribute but i think it's a work in progress as an every down pass catching wr

playeragent26
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I think plenty of fans would be doing the same thing if Dez is there at #12. But, I think we all know he wont be there unless somehow he pulls up with a lame injury or disorder two weeks before the draft.

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
my thoughts exactly...you see many instances on tape of bebe getting separation from dbs??? cause i don't...

the thing i think from the get go might make bebe active on game day if we took him would be the wildcat...he'd be a massive run blocker who could peel back and crack lbs and take out dbs...

i'd also have him on the field on any short yardage situations that involve a wr or even as the extra te in a few sets and let him be a play action option...

there are definitely ways you can get him on the field and to contribute but i think it's a work in progress as an every down pass catching wr

I can see him being useful for those plays in the Wildcat, I'm just not sure that would be enough to get him on the active roster.

And no, I generally don't see him getting a lot of separation. There are times where he gets behind the coverage and a better throw would have allowed him to keep running all the way to the end zone, but besides the deep comeback, the routes he runs are not really the kinds of routes that get you a lot of separation. He does okay beating press on deep routes, though he seems to use his hands more than his feet. He also seems to need to gather himself a lot on the comeback.

39wildman
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
what if we get both of them that would be nice and focus rest oin defense

ckparrothead
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
The problem there is "the rest" would be 3rd, 4th, and a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks...and you don't pick up starter worthy players in those rounds generally speaking. So it wouldn't amount to much help for the defense at all.

jim1
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
The problem there is "the rest" would be 3rd, 4th, and a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks...and you don't pick up starter worthy players in those rounds generally speaking. So it wouldn't amount to much help for the defense at all.

I think that in the best case scenario Benn, Thomas or Lafell falls to us in the 2nd- in that order. I don't see Gilyard being taken by us there. Yeah, one WR early, probably not 2. Too many other needs on D.

twix2500
03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Thomas has Calvin Johnson talent, but not as skilled. He should be a first round pick I will be surprise he not drafted in the first round. The nfl knows his talent, and that type of talent is always taken early. I wouldn't be mad if we take him with our first pick.

miami71
03-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Sun Sent. has a Sam Farmer mock with D.Thomas going at 11 and Dez going 26 to the Cardinals. Who is Sam Farmer?

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
LA Times staff writer: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/07/sports/la-sp-nfl-farmer-20100307?pg=2

newlownorder
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I would cry if we passed on Dez for McClain, honestly, I would cry.

newlownorder
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Dez=Andre Johnson light

Thomas=Calvin Johnson very, very light

13_dolfan_13
03-15-2010, 05:30 AM
off the topic but why do the call him bey bey

ckparrothead
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I think that in the best case scenario Benn, Thomas or Lafell falls to us in the 2nd- in that order. I don't see Gilyard being taken by us there. Yeah, one WR early, probably not 2. Too many other needs on D.

I personally don't think there is any "best case scenario" that involves either Brandon LaFell or Mardy Gilyard.

BobDole
03-15-2010, 02:31 PM
eh. i'd listen to an argument than benn is better than bryant - which i tend to agree with - but no way thomas is. not a chance.

CANDolphan
03-16-2010, 01:45 AM
What world is it that Dez Bryant has the low low 4.4 speed that Andre Johnson has?

ckparrothead
03-16-2010, 01:50 AM
We'll have to see. My viewing of Dez has always shown me that he's got about 4.45 to 4.50 speed if properly trained up. But, some of my viewing has come at times when he's been a little banged up.