PDA

View Full Version : What if Eric Berry gets past Cleveland?

The Goat
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, I know. You can save your "there's no way Eric Berry falls out of the top 5, let alone gets past Cleveland."

I hear ya. That's what SHOULD happen. But then again...crazy stuff happens on Draft Day. Last year, the Raiders picked Heyward-Bey. Very recently, the Jets picked Gholston.

So....what if Suh falls to TB, Seattle takes one of the Offensive Tackles, and Claussen falls to Cleveland?

At that point, I'm gonna start gnawing on my knuckles.

I'm still doing my rain dance over here, trying to get him to fall to us....

Joey23
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Do you think the Browns would take Clausen if he where there?

The Goat
03-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Do you think the Browns would take Clausen if he where there?

I think he's the ONLY thing that might keep them from taking Berry.

Mr. Magoo
03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
It's possible. Mayock just said today on Path to the Draft he's talked to at least a few teams that have Thomas over Berry. Hard to imagine that means Thomas has vaulted into top 5 consideration, so you wonder what Berry's value really is around the league?

The whole obsession this year seems to be sacrificing a better overall player for someone who plays the passing game better. McCoy over Suh (in some circles), for example.

I like Thomas but I certainly can't see him over Berry. But either way, the value of these guys sometimes has as much to do with how they're perceived as how good they actually are. If enough teams get the idea that Berry is down with Thomas in the teens, he might fall past Cleveland.

Corners have always been more valuable than safeties anyway. They're harder to find and have a bigger overall impact. It takes a pretty freaky safety to leapfrog everyone in the defensive backfield. I'm of the firm opinion Berry is one of those guys, but you never know. Maybe the teams Mayock was referring to have Thomas as a corner, hence the better grade for a more valuable position.

hooshoops
03-12-2010, 10:30 PM
i think if haden runs a solid number at his pro day workout he's back in play for cleveland at #7...but i don't see how he'd be over eric berry if they both were there...

gonna be a lot of dumb gms and front offices if eric berry makes it to pick #8...that's all i can say...this kids a stud

JCane
03-12-2010, 10:38 PM
If Eric Berry makes it to #12 then a lot of people in the league need to be fired for incompetence. If the Rams were intelligent...

The Goat
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
If Eric Berry makes it to #12 then a lot of people in the league need to be fired for incompetence. If the Rams were intelligent...

A lot of people in the league DO need to be fired for incompetence. This is exactly why I think this could happen.

HybridPHIN 23
03-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Berry is the only player I really want..... but let's not get our hope's up.

Eric-Gofins
03-13-2010, 01:02 AM
just cant see that happening.... but hey... people buy lottery tickets so that they can dream about being a millionaire.....

Ricky4Life
03-13-2010, 01:04 AM
If Berry made it to #12 I would run bare *** down my block, flopping in the wind.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Yes, I know. You can save your "there's no way Eric Berry falls out of the top 5, let alone gets past Cleveland."

I hear ya. That's what SHOULD happen. But then again...crazy stuff happens on Draft Day. Last year, the Raiders picked Heyward-Bey. Very recently, the Jets picked Gholston.

So....what if Suh falls to TB, Seattle takes one of the Offensive Tackles, and Claussen falls to Cleveland?

At that point, I'm gonna start gnawing on my knuckles.

I'm still doing my rain dance over here, trying to get him to fall to us....

You mean Berry dance!!!!:dmonster::dmonster::dmonster::pbanana::pbanana::pbanana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2MOiEnnF8

Kdawg954
03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Berry at 12 is IDEAL. I would draft the best available OLB next and run with a TE and then a NT with our first 4 picks.

flynryan15
03-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I like Earl Thomas better, to me he is the more complete ball hawk. When I watch him move and get into coverage I see Ed Reed Jr.

Phin-Phan 66
03-14-2010, 01:30 AM
There is NO WAY Berry gets to us at 12 - NO WAY

JCane
03-14-2010, 01:53 AM
I like Earl Thomas better, to me he is the more complete ball hawk. When I watch him move and get into coverage I see Ed Reed Jr.

:lol:

MadDog 88
03-14-2010, 03:22 AM
As much as I would love to see Berry fall to 12, I think that is hoping for a little to much. Whether or not he does, the Dolphins will have to decide between FS, NT and OLB and if it is FS they draft, it may be Thomas. Regardless, with a rookie and 2 second year CBs, that doesn't bode well next season for the secondary. The future, yes but there will be growing pains with so many youngsters downfield.

greasyObnoxious
03-14-2010, 05:09 AM

Ed Reed lasted to #24 and he was a better prospect coming out.

The Goat
03-14-2010, 09:31 AM
You mean Berry dance!!!!:dmonster::dmonster::dmonster::pbanana::pbanana::pbanana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2MOiEnnF8

I need to figure out how to put that in my sig.

The Goat
03-14-2010, 09:32 AM
There is NO WAY Berry gets to us at 12 - NO WAY

Yes, yes, I know.

Stranger things have happened.

skipp2myloo13
03-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a feeling that neither will make it to us. I hope one of them does, they both are just such great player and immediate assets to our ball club.

Cloudy
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Berry is the only player I really want..... but let's not get our hope's up.

Quote for truth!

Digital
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Agreed, not going to happen. Today's game is a passing game moreso than at any other time in NFL history. All of the rules are skewed to advantage the passing offense. As such, the FS position has grown into a hybrid S/CB position. About half the time teams now field a nickel back with only one safety. This changes the FS position fundamentally, here's how I see it:

Eric Berry
Stud of a FS, but he's so good that he could easily be the single S on the field in a nickel situation and good enough in coverage not to be taken off for a dime coverage. He's a monster against the run, and he's a true leader ... something very lacking in the NFL these days. I can't see a coach NOT advocating for him. Lasting to 12 means there is some late breaking bad rumor ... kinda like what happened just before the draft to Dan Marino. ;)

Earl Thomas
Quite simply he is the very best coverage/ball hawk FS available. He IS the nickel back and its not a stretch to call him a top notch CB. His stock skyrockets in todays game compared to 10 or 20 years ago when he would have been too small. Still, Parcells, Ireland & Sparano like BIG safeties and Thomas isn't that. He's no thumper and there are real questions about his tackling. Safeties need to make every tackle, because it is often the last chance. While Thomas could easily be taken before the we draft, I don't see the Dolphins taking Thomas, despite me really liking the kid. Great ballhawk, great coverage, great kid, but we like a long history of starting and excelling, we like big safeties, and we don't like to sink much salary cap into the safety positions. We'd break the bank for Berry, but I doubt we select Thomas at 12.

Some positions just demand attention and we see runs on them or players getting overdrafted. Typically it's QB that goes too high, or teams trading up to get the last of the quality LT's, but let's just consider a "best case scenario" for a moment.

What if there is run on QB's, Bradford drafted first overall, Clausen going early, somene shocking the world with Colt McCoy in the top10, then Jacksonville grabbing Tebow early ... unlikely, but that's 4 right there. On the other end of the spectrum, what if Suh, McCoy and Williams all going in the top 10. Dez Bryant is a top 10'er. Throw in a few wildcads like the Raiders taking JPP, someone snatching up CJ Spiller, a team taking a chance on an uber talent like Carlos Dunlap. Boom, we're at 12 and there is a shocked--and pizzed--Eric Berry, who shows up day 1 of training camp with a chip on his shoulder and a LOT to prove to the world.

IMHO, that's an absolute best case scenario, and it's pretty far fetched, but there are a few other players who we could sub in there for Tebow, Colt McCoy, Dunlap, etc., including Earl Thomas, Travis "Workout Warrior" Mays, or maybe even Damaryous Thomas. I'm confident someone will want a LT in there somewhere, and it's conceivable two or even three might be taken if teams start jockeying position. Hey, we employed Spielman as a GM for a while, so there are definitely some idiots picking for NFL teams ... and not everyone needs a high priced FS, particularly teams that have a good Nickel solution already.

Pipe dream, but not outside of the realm of possibilities. Let's enjoy it while we can before the draft arrives and we reach for some workmanlike bum.

JCane
03-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Ed Reed lasted to #24 and he was a better prospect coming out.

And I said the same thing about Ed Reed. A lot of people need to be fired for incompetence.

amir7
03-14-2010, 11:13 PM
with the some of the moves the browns have made today(trading quinn and wembley) they may be looking at taking clausen, or grabbing a DE.

dolfan91
03-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Well i will liken the Eric Berry situation to when Miami got lucky and drafted Troy Vincent ... no one expected Vincent to be there ... and he was ... Cleveland's trade of Quinn, could mean, they are leaning towards a QB ... but when i have checked Cleveland's Newspaper's the talk was around Haden or Berry; if Berry Fell ... it's anyone's guess right now .. But if Berry does somehow fall to #12 .. can't see the Trifecta passing on him ...

bootang25
03-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I would be ecstatic to come away with either Thomas or Berry. The evolution of the Safety position is these type of guys, CB's playing S. While Thomas may be more instinctive and ballhawking, Berry is better against the run. KC and Cleveland are the teams we have to worry about. If Berry somehow got past them, I don't see Buffalo or Jax taking him, and Denver has a lot of money invested in the position. I want one of these two guys, I don't care.

ColonelJ
03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Eric Berry is one guy we must get. Berry maybe the best player in the draft. If he slips, they must trade up and get him.

bootang25
03-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I don't think it is all that crazy to envision us trading with KC and going up and getting Berry. Given the relationship between Parcells and Pioli, I don't think it would cost as much as normal. Remember, the Jets basically crapped all over the Browns last year, giving a bunch of role players and the 2nd round pick. That was 17 to 5. Maybe a trade where we switch picks, Philip Merling, Greg Camarillo, and a 4 would be enough to get up to 5. Eric Berry is everything Bill Parcells wants in a football player.