PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins to wine & dine with Georgia Safety Reshad Jones

FinAtic8480
03-13-2010, 12:37 AM
The Miami Dolphins have been aggressive this offseason and made a huge splash with the signing of former Arizona Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dunlap, which filled at least one hole on defense. But they failed to address a major vacancy at free safety after they ended their relationship with 2008 free agent bust Gibril Wilson earlier this month.

Jones is the playmaker that the Dolphins could use in their secondary this season.
Georgia Athletics

The Dolphins actively pursued two of the top free safeties on the open market, Antrel Rolle (Cardinals) and Ryan Clark (Pittsburgh Steelers), but Rolle decided to sign with the New York Giants, and Clark snubbed the Dolphins to resign with the Steelers. Even though the Dolphins didn’t sign Rolle or Clark during free agency, the 2010 draft features the deepest safety crop in recent memory and offers plenty of highly touted prospects for the Dolphins to choose from.

We’re still roughly a month and a half away from draft day, but it appears that the Dolphins already have their eye on one safety in particular, Georgia’s Reshad Jones. Scout.com has learned that the Dolphins will take Jones out to dinner on Monday, March 15th, the night before his Pro Day (March 16th), and will host him in Miami for a two-day visit on March 29th and 30th. Jones will not work out for the team during his visit,

http://gnb.scout.com/2/953606.html

PALMA
03-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I didn't know we signed a Karlos Dunlap too! Lol.

SamIam
03-13-2010, 12:47 AM
I told you guys... this cat is a baller

#1dolphinsfan
03-13-2010, 12:48 AM
He would be a good pick up but what round is he projected to go in after reading that it seems like the dolphins are really interested in him and I'm glad

SamIam
03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
He would be a good pick up but what round is he projected to go in

2nd to early 3rd

Ricky4Life
03-13-2010, 12:59 AM
I would not mind drafting him at all, he has the size and athleticism our FO likes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1Ryqw3k5Y&feature=related

ckparrothead
03-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow. Surprised by the strong interest in Reshad Jones. Interesting news. Thanks for it.

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Q&A on the unfortunately named site of former NFL safety Corey Chavous, DraftNasty.com.

http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/patrick/reshad-jones-brings-hat-to-work-q-and-a-with-georgia-product/

Comes across intelligent and well spoken, I must say. And grounded.

One particular note: According to Jones, Mark Richt pulled a Monte Kiffen-to-Eric Berry and straight up told Jones he should go pro, having done everything he could do in college.

UPDATE: Podcast? interview on College Football Insiders:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/collegefootballinsiders/2010/02/21/player-spotlight-show-reshad-jones-georgia-bulldog

Note: Host Bo Marchionte sounds like an ignorant tool.

Elliott 1
03-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Not another DB who runs in the 4.6's. Why??????

What's wrong with having some speed on the defense?

I'm not comfortable with these larda** DB's. 4.6 is LB speed.

Every year players get bigger,stronger,faster. I don't think its going to be OK to have your FS run in the 4.6's in the near future.

SRM
03-13-2010, 02:21 AM
I'd love if we drafted this guy. He seems solid in coverage and can lay the wood.

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 02:27 AM

Every year players get bigger,stronger,faster. I don't think its going to be OK to have your FS run in the 4.6's in the near future.

Ed Reed ran a 4.57. 40 times are very overrated.

Also, I would think a guy like Jones is more of being seen as a future replacement for Yeremiah Bell, not a solution to the FS problem.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-13-2010, 02:53 AM

Clemons runs 4.4.

uga3406
03-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Take it from a Dawg fan, Jones is a good player...Not sure he is the play maker everyone is talking him up to being...When he hits a player, they feel it for weeks..Very physical type of player...Not really sure I want him when u can get Earl Thomas instead...Just my two cents...I think he would still be there in the 3rd if Miami wanted him....Like I said wouldn' mind him in Miami but My heart says Thomas is much better option for Phins.

uga3406
03-13-2010, 03:03 AM
Q&A on the unfortunately named site of former NFL safety Corey Chavous, DraftNasty.com.

http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/patrick/reshad-jones-brings-hat-to-work-q-and-a-with-georgia-product/

Comes across intelligent and well spoken, I must say. And grounded.

One particular note: According to Jones, Mark Richt pulled a Monte Kiffen-to-Eric Berry and straight up told Jones he should go pro, having done everything he could do in college.

UPDATE: Podcast? interview on College Football Insiders:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/collegefootballinsiders/2010/02/21/player-spotlight-show-reshad-jones-georgia-bulldog

Note: Host Bo Marchionte sounds like an ignorant tool.

Jones shouldn't haven't listen to Richt. For starters Richt is a moron and number two the Dawgs defintely needed him...

etsudolfan
03-13-2010, 03:07 AM
if we get his kid in the 3rd round that would be great value. Dan Williams DT 1st round, Arrelious Benn 2nd round, and Reshad Jones 3rd...that'd be pretty solid

#1dolphinsfan
03-13-2010, 03:08 AM
if we get his kid in the 3rd round that would be great value. Dan Williams DT 1st round, Arrelious Benn 2nd round, and Reshad Jones 3rd...that'd be pretty solid
that would be a great draft but i would change Dan Williams to Kindle, Graham

#1dolphinsfan
03-13-2010, 03:16 AM

40 Times are Extremely overrated.

Clipse
03-13-2010, 03:24 AM
WOuldn't mind Reshad Jones. I think I'd rather have Morgan Burnett or Nate Allen though.

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 06:19 AM
This is rather strange. They are treating him like a first pick?!? Qu be!

#1dolphinsfan
03-13-2010, 06:26 AM
yeah they are and i am hoping he is our third round pick i would be great if i draft was Derrick Morgan if he can play SOLB, D. Thomas WR, and Reshad Jones

JCfinfan
03-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Looks like he has some pretty good ball skills and can definately lay the lumber. I wonder if we are looking at him in the 2nd or 3rd?

hooshoops
03-13-2010, 09:32 AM
this is a bit odd to me...reshad jones sure looks like a strong safety to me...

Aqua and Orange
03-13-2010, 10:32 AM
I hope that we leave Jones as our 3rd round option. I agree he comes off like a strong safety. I emphasize "option", because unless you overdraft a guy there is no guarantee they will be there when you pick.

This team is insanely lucky, for instance, that the Packers somehow picked QB Brian Brohm one pick ahead of Chad Henne.

ticophin
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
1 Brandon Graham Olb
2 Cam NT or D. Thomas WR
3 Rashead Jones FS
4 Pitta Te
6. Angerer ILB

MiamiDolfan85
03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Reshad Jones is a 3rd to 4th rounder....

1st round safeties

Eric Berry
Taylor Mays
Earl Thomas

2nd round safties

Chad Jones
Nate Allen
Morgan Burnett

3rd round safties

Major Wright
Kam Chancellor
Darrell Stuckey
(Reshad Jones)

4th round safties

T.J Ward
(Reshad Jones)
Larry Asante

JCfinfan
03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
1 Brandon Graham Olb
2 Cam NT or D. Thomas WR
3 Rashead Jones FS
4 Pitta Te
6. Angerer ILB

Love the mock but I would take Cam out as an option.

Lord Of Miami
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Not really teams bring in guys like this all the time for a day or two too have their own medical staff look the player over.

SRM
03-13-2010, 11:51 AM
What's knocking this guy down to the 3rd or 4th round?

X-Pacolypse
03-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Seems like he would be a good pick.

MiamiDolfan85
03-13-2010, 12:02 PM
What's knocking this guy down to the 3rd or 4th round?exposure...or lack there of...mainly

MrEd
03-13-2010, 12:45 PM

:err: And where do you suggest we get our SOLB at? No way we draft a WR in the 2nd round. the #12 and #43 picks are designated for NT/SOLB or vice versa. Unless we pull a trade using our 4th round pick and a 2011 pick for an SOLB, then I can see that. But nah, I think Miami selects a TE over a WR anyways.

Though I'm on the side that thinks Miami will select NT Dan Williams, I am open to the fact that they could very well go OLB at #12 too. But if they did, they'd choose the best available OLB at #43.

SRM
03-13-2010, 12:54 PM
exposure...or lack there of...mainly

Fine with me :D

flynryan15
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Clemons runs 4.4.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.74, a forty time is just a number. One that can be very misleading, instinct and football IQ will make up a couple tenths on the field.

WISfinfan13
03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Whats the point of "wining and dining" a draftee? There is no garentee they will be available when we draft??

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
It's also useful to remember that OJ Atogwe ran like a 4.56. Anticipation and instincts will get you to the ball better in deep coverage than pure speed will. Which is not to say that speed isn't important. It absolutely is. Only that all the speed in the world won't get you to the ball fast enough if you can't figure out where you're going (see: Mays, Taylor).

I haven't watched very much of Reshad, but the scouting reports I've read indicate he's better in man coverage, in the box or playing half the field than he is in single high. Classic traits of a true strong safety, though Reshad predictably claims in interviews he can play either. Like I said, I would view him more as a future replacement for the 32-year-old Yeremiah Bell than a solution to our FS problems.

showstopper
03-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I know this is the wrong thread for this, but since the #12 pick and Williams has been brought up, let me say this. We will not draft a player at the #12 spot that can only play 2 downs( ie only run downs, which is roughly 45% of the defensive snaps), meaning Tennessee NT Williams will not be our #12 pick in the first round.

hemidemon
03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

40 times are fools gold. Don't you know that?

greasyObnoxious
03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Jerry Rice ran a 4.74, a forty time is just a number. One that can be very misleading, instinct and football IQ will make up a couple tenths on the field.

yeah, that's a nice line anytime someone doesnt run a good 40 time. fact of the matter, there still weren't a lof of successful WRs with that type of speed.

TheBow305
03-13-2010, 03:25 PM
With that kind of interest, I don't know what we'd wait until the 3rd round for this guy. Berry, Mays, Thomas and Chad Jones should all be gone. So after that, it's all just personal preference as who the next top safety is, and I can definitely see him as our guy.

I wanted him last year when he briefly declared before deciding to return to school. If we could grab Sergio Kindle or Derrick Morgan in the first, then Jones in the 2nd and Demaryius Thomas maybe slipping to us in the 3rd because of the injury, we would be set! Then possibly Jeff Owens in the 4th to play NT. Haha, an all-Georgia draft. I'd be ok with that:

1. Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
2. Reshad Jones, Georgia
3. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
4. Jeff Owens, Georgia

NRA
03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Dan Williams DT 1st round.....

why would we draft a DT from a 4-3 scheme?

were a 3-4 team who needs a full time NT.

so why him? he is NOT a NT. never has been.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
This is what I think of him....
Athletic
Lays the wood
Good tackler
Playmaker
but Can he cover??? never really heard of him he has some INT but doesnt means he can cover...

NRA
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM
meaning Tennessee NT Williams will not be our #12 pick in the first round.

SHOWSTOPER: i agree with you 100%. but the main point is, dan williams is
not a NT. everyone keeps refering to him as a nt when he is a DT who has
spent his time in a 4-3 scheme only. not the 3-4.

i have no idea if the finz consider him a nt convert or if they are interested
in him at all. i hope to god NOT!! you dont take ANY convert/part time/
situational player that hi in the draft no matter what position they play.

not trying to fire you up SS. like i said, i agree with you all the way. i just
have this pet peave with everyone puting NT after his name.

SR 7
03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Wow. Surprised by the strong interest in Reshad Jones. Interesting news. Thanks for it.

why do you say that?

skipp2myloo13
03-13-2010, 04:09 PM

SHOWSTOPER: i agree with you 100%. but the main point is, dan williams is
not a NT. everyone keeps refering to him as a nt when he is a DT who has
spent his time in a 4-3 scheme only. not the 3-4.

i have no idea if the finz consider him a nt convert or if they are interested
in him at all. i hope to god NOT!! you dont take ANY convert/part time/
situational player that hi in the draft no matter what position they play.

not trying to fire you up SS. like i said, i agree with you all the way. i just
have this pet peave with everyone puting NT after his name.

Although i agree with you that Williams wont be a great pick at 12. I have to poke a hole in your "logic". He is a NT at draft time because of his size and style of play. He does take up blockers well most of the time, and that does translate well to the NT position. With your reasoning there are very few positions that we should be able to pick on D with the 12, because very few college teams run a true 3-4. We cant get any backer or lineman at 12. That is rather foolish and completely untrue. He isnt dominating or consistant and would serve as a very good 2 down NT-which for the value doesnt make any sense. Many DE transfer to wither SOLB or WOLBs in a 3-4 and many of them are top picks year in and year out (Curry ect).

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Dan Williams is good. He beats single blocking consistently and does not give up. He'll be fine in 3-4. Ideally you would like a little more size but it's not required. I like Reshad Jones but question his focus and motor at times. FS is a desperation pick for us and that generally does not work well.

DefensiveEnd76
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Look at all the super fast players the Raiders always get and they always suck!!!

BESS4LAST
03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
This just proves they wont go Earl Thomas @ 12 ... a wine and dine is as good as in...wasnt everyone drafted been wined n dined?

ChambersWI
03-13-2010, 05:40 PM
What's knocking this guy down to the 3rd or 4th round?

1.Georgia's rather poor defense this year.

2.Very deep safety class with a lot of guys emerging this past year after bing extremely productive.

I remember in preseason he was projected as a possible first rounder. Before the season I know many projected him as a strong safety, didn't really pay much attention to him this year so I dunno how he did in coverage, but he's got great athleticism.

j-off-her-doll
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
If we draft him before the 4th, I'll be annoyed.

I can just see my worst-case scenario unfolding:

1. D. Williams
2. J. Graham
3. R. Jones

. . .

j-off-her-doll
03-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Whatever. If Nolan likes him . . . I'll trust that for now . . .

hooshoops
03-13-2010, 05:45 PM
i have a 3rd round grade on him but as a strong safety...i don't really see the point in taking a strong safety in the first 4 rounds given all our needs...

j-off-her-doll
03-13-2010, 05:53 PM
i have a 3rd round grade on him but as a strong safety...i don't really see the point in taking a strong safety in the first 4 rounds given all our needs...

They won't be drafting him as a SS - unless they see Bell as a FS. But, who knows? Maybe he reminds them of R. Clark, and maybe they just feel like taking a kid - whom they have no interest in - out on the town.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Dude, you miss the point. The guy I was replying to said he was tired of us taking "slow" DBs. I was merely pointing out that we picked the fastest Safety in last years draft, therefore his point was invalid. Work with me here, do I have to give instructions with my posts?

hooshoops
03-13-2010, 05:58 PM
i think you might be giving mike nolan too much of a leash if you say that if he's alright with said player than you're ok with it also...

sure he's hit on some picks but he's also missed on entire defensive drafts that he's been a part of...

reshad jones at free safety is a risk imo...they keep trying to plug in these hard hitting more in the box guys with questionable hips and range at free safety...i like reshad jones...but in the box

yeremiah bell at free safety definitely is not a good thing...

Clipse
03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
why would we draft a DT from a 4-3 scheme?

were a 3-4 team who needs a full time NT.

so why him? he is NOT a NT. never has been.
You do realize that most NT's played DT in a 4-3 scheme in college right? Going by that logic why the hell would anyone want Brandon Graham or any other OLB prospect in the draft. After all, they play DE in a 4-3 scheme... Poor logic that is. Either way Dan Williams won't be the pick, history shows that Parcells prefers to find his NT's in the later rounds.

ChambersWI
03-13-2010, 08:21 PM
i think you might be giving mike nolan too much of a leash if you say that if he's alright with said player than you're ok with it also...

sure he's hit on some picks but he's also missed on entire defensive drafts that he's been a part of...

reshad jones at free safety is a risk imo...they keep trying to plug in these hard hitting more in the box guys with questionable hips and range at free safety...i like reshad jones...but in the box

yeremiah bell at free safety definitely is not a good thing...

Bell has the speed for FS, just not the coverage ability. Speed isn't everything. Brock Marion wasn't fast at all and he was a very good FS for us. Sure, if he got beat deep we were in trouble, but Marion was more of an asset than a liability. If a defender feels comfortable playing in space/center field tht's more worth looking at IMO

rrrrphin
03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
another thought is that this is an intentional information slip. parcells/ireland could be doing someone a favor by giving him some publicity.

RockyMtnPhinfan
03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
this is a bit odd to me...reshad jones sure looks like a strong safety to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP5nmyNSgk

Well wasn't he playing deep in a few of those and made plays on the ball? Looks like a free safety that HITS like a strong safety to me. Interesting prospect for sure.

Go to the 4:46 mark and watch him run down Keiland Williams from LSU. Williams has been clocked 4.44 in the forty range.

http://walterfootball.com/proschoolLSU.php

He is #5

That should give us some idea of his speed right?

SamIam
03-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Lets just hope the Jets dont take him becuase he looks like a rex ryan type od player and they need a FS