PDA

View Full Version : Why Brandon Graham will be our pick

Phin-Phan 66
03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
1. NEED - we need a starting OLB and he is NFL ready, a starter from day one
2. PRODUCTION - not potential - look at his college stats
3. VERSATILITY - can play DE or OLB, just what the Trifecta looks for
4. MOTOR - this guy plays hard every down

Sure we need other things, Safety, NT, and WR, but this guy can step in and play day one. We cannot afford to not have our first rounder step right in from day one and start and Graham is an NFL ready BEAST.

WR and NT will be addressed, but Graham will be the pick in round one.
I still believe we will get a veteran safety to plug in right away and draft another to develop over time.

skipp2myloo13
03-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Or we can get all those things at a bigger need and more value in Earl Thomas. He is just as big of a need- even more considering the S drop off in talent compared to at OLB. Good argument-but it applies to every player-Dez and Berry and Thomas especially.

hemidemon
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM
WR is not our biggest need. If Ferguson wasn't under NFL suspension I would agree with this. I can't help but think Miami will go NT in round 1 and OLB in round 2.

Phin-Phan 66
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I think Dez will be gone by 12, and I feel Earl Thomas is undersized, but a great player. Graham is my first choice.

greasyObnoxious
03-13-2010, 02:36 PM
looking at those things, i'd say Derrick Morgan is our guy.

skipp2myloo13
03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I think Dez will be gone by 12, and I feel Earl Thomas is undersized, but a great player. Graham is my first choice.

2 inches and 4 lbs lighter than Berry is undersized...to each his own i guess.

TheBow305
03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Unless someone like Berry or Bryant falls, I think it's going to be either Derrick Morgan, Sergio Kindle or Jason Pierre-Paul. Definitely not Brandon Graham though.

skipp2myloo13
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Unless someone like Berry or Bryant falls, I think it's going to be either Derrick Morgan, Sergio Kindle or Jason Pierre-Paul. Definitely not Brandon Graham though.

Or instead of drafting JPP 12th overall we can wait for Gholston to get released. Idk why we would go weak side backer at 12-so no to Kindle and Morgan is a 4-3 DE-remember what happened last time we tried to mess with one of those-phil Merling. Griffen or Graham will be the OLb pick, even though i hope they dont pick an OLB.

TheBow305
03-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Or instead of drafting JPP 12th overall we can wait for Gholston to get released. Idk why we would go weak side backer at 12-so no to Kindle and Morgan is a 4-3 DE-remember what happened last time we tried to mess with one of those-phil Merling. Griffen or Graham will be the OLb pick, even though i hope they dont pick an OLB.

Merling was a totally different case man. He already had the look of a 5-Tech. He was always a Defensive End, whether it be in a 4-3 or 3-4. He wasn't one of those guys that you could take and convert to OLB. But these guys are. They are much more athletic, agile and explosive than Merling ever was. That's why this could work. Graham's just too small, that's why he won't be the pick.

skipp2myloo13
03-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Merling was a totally different case man. He already had the look of a 5-Tech. He was always a Defensive End, whether it be in a 4-3 or 3-4. He wasn't one of those guys that you could take and convert to OLB. But these guys are. They are much more athletic, agile and explosive than Merling ever was. That's why this could work. Graham's just too small, that's why he won't be the pick.

Too small how? I dont see how that will effect him as stopping the run and getting to the QB. Dont you think its odd you are the only one who completely dismisses a guy who fits everything we like to a T. Big school, experience, college productivity (3 things that JPP doesnt have). He fits the Position way way way safer than Morgan does. He is way more physical than Kindle, Kindle is 1-D strait line player with big college experience but a little lacking in the production department. Im not lobbying that Graham should or will be the pick (i hope he isnt-i want Thomas) but I'm just trying to open you up that he is a real possibility. You make it seem like he is some great reach as well-if we dont take him he will be gone top 20.

DefensiveEnd76
03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't know if Brandon Graham has the athleticism and quick twitch moves to be an OLB in the NFL

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Brandon Graham is the truth. It's the only pick most people here can agree on and be excited about.

NRA
03-13-2010, 04:48 PM
1. NEED - we need a starting OLB and he is NFL ready, a starter from day one
2. PRODUCTION - not potential - look at his college stats
3. VERSATILITY - can play DE or OLB, just what the Trifecta looks for
4. MOTOR - this guy plays hard every down

Sure we need other things, Safety, NT, and WR, but this guy can step in and play day one. We cannot afford to not have our first rounder step right in from day one and start and Graham is an NFL ready BEAST.

WR and NT will be addressed, but Graham will be the pick in round one.
I still believe we will get a veteran safety to plug in right away and draft another to develop over time.

PHINFAN66: beautiful man, just beautiful.

my thoughts exactly and i have been saying this very thing since
BEFORE the senior bowl and combine.

if this guy doesnt posess everything you would want in a hi round
draft spot, then who does? what is missing?

to me, this is the most logical pic for the finz. productive, tenacious, dominanted
big school talent, plays run AND pass equally well. can be a 3-4 olb or de
or de in a 4-3. excells in tackles for losses. fierce pass rusher. whats missing?

if you knew the finz were going to take a olb and you had the ability to build
one for them, are these not all the skills you would put into him?

and sorry, but i dont think 2 inches on his hight would make him any better.

i can tell you right now that bill billichek wants him in the worst way and will
be watching his status on draft day closely. if he gets past miami maybe around
the 14-16 spot, i expect them to make a move. billichek isnt afraid to deal to
get the players he covets so i wouldnt be suprised to see him leap over us to
grab him. and i say its a stone sure bet that if miami passes and he falls another
spot or two, they WILL make a move.

if miami trades out thinking they will land him a few spots down, he will be gone.

if they are thinking about him at all, then they better just walk the card up to the
table when they are called to the clock.

NRA
03-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't know if Brandon Graham has the athleticism and quick twitch moves to be an OLB in the NFL

DEFENSIVE END: you gotta be kidding me? the "quick twitch" is what he is known
for! the guys first step is helacious! thats part of what made him such a great
pass rushing DE in the 4-3 he was in at michigan.

and really, that "quick twitch" doesnt effect an olb as much because they play
mostly off the line. they have more time to find there gap and get there.

not with ya there DE. not at all.

rickd13
03-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm starting to get nervous that Graham might not even be there at 12. I'm worried that New England might try to jump up ahead of Miami. I love Graham and I hope that he is the pick. My order of preference would be Graham, Spiller, Bryant, Morgan, Williams. Berry probably won't fall that far or he would be my second choice. I do not care for Earl Thomas. He looks too small. I'm not convinced he is even a safety. I think you can find better value at safety later in the draft. I'd rather try to address the front seven or a dynamic play-maker on offense.

3rdandinches
03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Grahams a good pick but won't have the impact E.Thomas will have in the long term.

I also think value wise E.Thomas and 2nd or 3rd round OLB is greater then Graham and what ever FS you can get in the 2nd or 3rd.

Thomas all the way please!

WaxOn WaxOff
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Graham is the pick. OLB that can bring heat is more important to this D than FS. Graham will be a force against the run as well, rather than a liability (Porter). Graham was a beast at the Senior Bowl. The second half the South squad would only call rollout passes to the opposite side, because they didn't have time in straight drop back because of Graham. And forget about the runs to his side. They were stuffed. Look at the tape again guys. I have never seen such a dominant performance by a defensive player. Graham is the pick. Then we go best offensive weapon in rd 2 - Receiver, TE, maybe even Best if he falls. In rd 3 we get the best FS left, rd 4 a nose tackle.

MrEd
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Very true. All we have are WOLBs on the roster now: Cam Wake, Jason Taylor (likely), Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses (maybe a possible SOLB, but looks more like a WOLB to me). Merling isn't ready to play SOLB, at least not at his weight.

Yep, I'd agree we are only going to be looking at SOLBs, not WOLBs. So the MOrgan rumors are just posturing, same thing with Kindle or JPP.

"If", we go OLB at #12, its SOLB like Brandon Graham. But I believe its going to be NT Dan Williams and say an Eric NOrwood at #43.

MrEd
03-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Graham is the pick. OLB that can bring heat is more important to this D than FS. Graham will be a force against the run as well, rather than a liability (Porter). Graham was a beast at the Senior Bowl. The second half the South squad would only call rollout passes to the opposite side, because they didn't have time in straight drop back because of Graham. And forget about the runs to his side. They were stuffed. Look at the tape again guys. I have never seen such a dominant performance by a defensive player. Graham is the pick. Then we go best offensive weapon in rd 2 - Receiver, TE, maybe even Best if he falls. In rd 3 we get the best FS left, rd 4 a nose tackle.

No way on TE at #43. Why do that? When there will be good TEs in rounds 3 through 4? Nah, if you do that then you bypass a need like NT, which there will not be any more good ones in round 3.

FS 'must' be aquired via FA or trade. No way they go into the draft without a starting FS. The only FS's that are going to start for us this year will be gone in the first round.

Canadi-Phin
03-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Very true. All we have are WOLBs on the roster now: Cam Wake, Jason Taylor (likely), Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses (maybe a possible SOLB, but looks more like a WOLB to me). Merling isn't ready to play SOLB, at least not at his weight.

Yep, I'd agree we are only going to be looking at SOLBs, not WOLBs. So the MOrgan rumors are just posturing, same thing with Kindle or JPP.

"If", we go OLB at #12, its SOLB like Brandon Graham. But I believe its going to be NT Dan Williams and say an Eric NOrwood at #43.

You keep saying no to what other people are picking. No to Earl Thomas, No to Morgan. Yet this FO has drafted and the DC always draft OLB and Safeties high. They have never taken a NT high in the draft. SO no to Dan Williams. Not sure why he is shooting up people's draft board, he doesn't get as much push as I would want. I think we have the same guy in Solai except Solai is a better athlete.

MrEd
03-13-2010, 09:45 PM
You keep saying no to what other people are picking. No to Earl Thomas, No to Morgan. Yet this FO has drafted and the DC always draft OLB and Safeties high. They have never taken a NT high in the draft. SO no to Dan Williams. Not sure why he is shooting up people's draft board, he doesn't get as much push as I would want. I think we have the same guy in Solai except Solai is a better athlete.

I think that the reason he is jumping up people's draft boards is because of the lack of NT prospects out there. A few years ago one of the main reasons we drafted Jake Long at #1 (aside from him being worth it, but a few players were) was because of the lack of chance that we were going to have that a starting quality LT was going to be around when we pick again in the 2nd round if we went with Matt Ryan. So we decided to go Jake Long and get someone like HEnne in the 2nd instead.

Well, this year its similiar situation in that if we bypass NT, what NT is going to be around at #43? Williams, Cody, and Thomas may all be off the board by then. Can we risk that? If we do pass on Williams and then we see him go shortly after, then we see Cody go shortly after that...we are going to get nervous that Cam Thomas may not make it.

This could force us to have to give up draft picks we can't afford to give up in order to trade up for Cam Thomas. Do you really want to have to do that?

Not saying that Cam Thomas has no chance of being there at #43, but their is going to be that chance of him not being there if both Williams and Cody are chosen in the mid to latter first round.

Any of the high draft pick teams that pass on Suh or McCoy can decide to take a QB or someone like that and decide that they will grab a DT in the top of the 2nd round.

Couple that with the fact that Ferguson isn't going to be there to rotate or take over for Soliai should he get injured or straight suck...Dan Williams is shooting up draft boards as a potential Miami pick at #12.

Now, if Miami doesn't feel that Williams is a surefire starting NT in the NFL, then yeah, I can see them pass on him for a developmental type in the 3rd or 4th round, but if they do feel he is a surefire starter....he very much can be the guy we are targeting at #12.

hooshoops
03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
derrick morgan if he is an olb is not a wolb...he's a solb...so yes he could very much be in play

eric norwood at #43 is awful...really is