PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so big on Jimmy Graham

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 02:03 PM
http://espndb.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480882

He has not done much in his career and is overrated IMO... Why Draft him in the third when his stats are like that..

RustyGator
03-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Because too many people who post on here have a hard time being objective. Anything pro-Canes, they love and anything con-Canes, they hate. Generally speaking of course.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Because too many people who post on here have a hard time being objective. Anything pro-Canes, they love and anything con-Canes, they hate. Generally speaking of course.

Thats what I was thinking most the people who want him are Cane fans... Me im a Auburn fan and say Canes are top 5 for my teams but if we draft him in the third or fourth round I will be really pissed off... Not just because the guy is not proven it is also because we have way bigger needs than TE...

flynryan15
03-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I dunno! I have even read some post saying take him in the second.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Thank you man thats what im saying some people are hating on me for my mock...

I am drafting a TE in fifth because we traded for a fifth in my mock..
Then we traded down and I got my mock looking like this

1. Brandon Graham
2. Demaryius Thomas
2. Cam Thomas DT
3. Torell Troup DT

I drafted to DT because DT is a huge need and is a physical position and I think Rotating those guys would are D-Line really good
I also Had sharper signed to a 2 year deal in my mock thats why I dont got a FS..
But people were like why take DT back to back when you can get Graham in the third...
Thats why I made the forum...

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
For the same reason people are so big on Jason Pierre Paul: incredibly rare physical ability. In Graham's case he has some other things going for him, too. Good overall character. Maturity. Intelligence. Shows good effort as a blocker. The basketball experience has given him some tangible abilities catching the football, especially in traffic.

Pierre Paul, as raw has he is, at least has a full year of tape. Graham did not really play much at all until the end of last season. He's almost a complete mystery. But, you know, the draft is a projection business, and guys with Graham's ability simply don't come along very often. In three or four years he could be the best tight end in football. No exaggeration. He has that kind of ability. Or, you know, he could wash out. You never know.

Ireland, for one, is well known to be high on him. I personally don't see the guy getting out of the 2nd, though I certainly don't think he should be taken that high, especially in a TE class with so many other talented and experienced prospects. Bring me Gronkowski, or Gresham, or Dickson, or Pitta... with Pitta probably getting you the most value, since there's a good chance he's there when we pick in the 3rd.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
For the same reason people are so big on Jason Pierre Paul: incredibly rare physical ability. In Graham's case he has some other things going for him, too. Good overall character. Maturity. Intelligence. Shows good effort as a blocker. The basketball experience has given him some tangible abilities catching the football, especially in traffic.

Pierre Paul, as raw has he is, at least has a full year of tape. Graham did not really play much at all until the end of last season. He's almost a complete mystery. But, you know, the draft is a projection business, and guys with Graham's ability simply don't come along very often. In three or four years he could be the best tight end in football. No exaggeration. He has that kind of ability. Or, you know, he could wash out. You never know.

Ireland, for one, is well known to be high on him. I personally don't see the guy getting out of the 2nd, though I certainly don't think he should be taken that high, especially in a TE class with so many other talented and experienced prospects. Bring me Gronkowski, or Gresham, or Dickson, or Pitta... with Pitta probably getting you the most value, since there's a good chance he's there when we pick in the 3rd.

Its crazy to have him even in the fourth IMO... He may have all that talent and mature but he has really got no PT and IMO has a chance to be a bust...

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Its crazy to have him even in the fourth IMO... He may have all that talent and mature but he has really got no PT and IMO has a chance to be a bust...

But he also has a chance to be Antonio Gates, is the point. Sure it's a risk, but that's a pretty high reward if you win.

Morey161
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Every single player in this draft has a chance to be a bust.

AccordOn13z
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Because he's Jimmy Graham.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Please dont compare Jimmy to Gates when they guy has not done nothing in college... I know everyone has a chance to be a bust but this guy man...

Mr. Magoo
03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Please dont compare Jimmy to Gates when they guy has not done nothing in college... I know everyone has a chance to be a bust but this guy man...

Sigh. That is the point. Gates didn't even play football in college. He only decided to play when they told him he was too short (6'4) to realistically play basketball as a pro. Only then did he decide to be a football player. Graham decided earlier, but it's the same kind of story. Only at least we know Graham has some ability to translate his talent on to the field because he played some in the second half of the season, which is why he won't go undrafted like Gates did.

Believe me, if the guy had decided from the get go to be a tight end and had fulfilled his potential, we'd be talking about a top 10 pick.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Ok I understand same story but he didnt play in College thats why he went undrafted(of course) Now Jimmy only had like 17 catches in his career and is projected in the 3rd round... Overrated...

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Jimmy Graham has great size and athleticism. Sure, when you watch him he does not always run the best routes, does not create separation, does not catch everything, but that's because he has not played football long enough. When he learns that, watch out.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Jimmy Graham has great size and athleticism. Sure, when you watch him he does not always run the best routes, does not create separation, does not catch everything, but that's because he has not played football long enough. When he learns that, watch out.
Ok "When he learns"
If he learns...
He is a reach at third I do not want him with the third. I want a proven player at the third... You just admited that he is lacking quite of bit of things especially PT.. He should not be a third thats my point... He has hardly played and should be a third. C'mon...

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I agree. We need starters in first three rounds, and Graham is not a starter imo.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Ok the guy has size and is athletic but the guy has had his chance playing football in college and did not do much and just because of size and him being athletic he should be a third... No

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Well, sometimes you take athletic guys because they are freaks. They present match up problems. JPP, Mays, are examples. I would certainly take JPP or Mays in the third. Same kind of thinking goes for Graham. The guy presents match up problems. So. it's not wholly crazy to consider taking him in the third.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, sometimes you take athletic guys because they are freaks. They present match up problems. JPP, Mays, are examples. I would certainly take JPP or Mays in the third. Same kind of thinking goes for Graham. The guy presents match up problems. So. it's not wholly crazy to consider taking him in the third.

I understand he is a freak but the big QUESTION is can he play??? I personally would be mad if we took any of those players.. Idk it may just be me but I am of a person that likes safe picks and people that showed they can use there talent in games..

JCane
03-13-2010, 05:00 PM

Keep hatin' Gators.

Graham is a bit overrated? Look at his stats?

Please. Not bad for a guy who played basketball his entire career at Miami and made the switch to football for ONE season only. Dude hadn't played a lick of college football before. Dude shows up to Greentree and blows the coaches away with his hands and his agility. Is Jimmy Graham great? No. He's a project. He's a great kid. He's coachable. He has the size, the speed, the blocking ability. He has everything great tight ends have but he's rusty. If anything he's underrated. Dude played one season of football. He got the playbook down. He ran his routes above average and he only had one big letdown game against Virginia Tech. Other than that, he was impressive for a guy stepping onto the football field for the first time in four years. Stepping right into the starting role. On a team coached by a baboon with a QB who makes extremely poor decisions.

I was at EVERY game this season. Home and away. I seen this kid up close and personal before and after games. He's a freak and he's worth the gamble in third/fourth round.

ColonelJ
03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I understand. But sometimes when you look at the board, the athletic guy is the safe pick. We are talking third, fourth round. Who is safe in the third? Most if not all of the low risk talent is gone by then.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I understand. But sometimes when you look at the board, the athletic guy is the safe pick. We are talking third, fourth round. Who is safe in the third? Most if not all of the low risk talent is gone by then.

This draft there could be some safe picks then... I know we have bigger needs than TE... The reason I say there can be safe picks that late is because this draft is deep... They said this draft has the most talent coming out since the year Marino came out...

Clipse
03-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Because he has more potential than any other TE in the draft? Find me another 6'7" guy with the speed, athleticism, hands, and smarts that Graham has. There's a reason that basketball players, namely shot blockers become such good Tight Ends, Graham will be no different imo.

Clipse
03-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Right! I haven't seen any Gators bias on this site at all... cough cough Spikes is better than McClain cough cough...

PhinPhan910
03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Because he has the most potential of all Te's this year. He is raw and if we draft him I wouldn't expect much from him for a year or two, but after that, he may be antonio gates, and he might end up busting.

You have to take chances in the draft. That doesn't mean do it with every round but you wont be a good team if you don't take some chances.

canesandphins1
03-13-2010, 06:46 PM
17 catches 5 TD 9 months playing football not bad when you think about it not say 2-3 round but 4 rd i would pull the trigger

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Im just not sold on him yes he has his size and athletic to have alot of potential but it can all go to waste if he dont know how to use his talent... Also I just think we have more needs than TE...

TheBow305
03-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Short answer: Because he's TOTALLY AWESOME!! ;)

JT-forpresident
03-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Keep hatin' Gators.

Graham is a bit overrated? Look at his stats?

Please. Not bad for a guy who played basketball his entire career at Miami and made the switch to football for ONE season only. Dude hadn't played a lick of college football before. Dude shows up to Greentree and blows the coaches away with his hands and his agility. Is Jimmy Graham great? No. He's a project. He's a great kid. He's coachable. He has the size, the speed, the blocking ability. He has everything great tight ends have but he's rusty. If anything he's underrated. Dude played one season of football. He got the playbook down. He ran his routes above average and he only had one big letdown game against Virginia Tech. Other than that, he was impressive for a guy stepping onto the football field for the first time in four years. Stepping right into the starting role. On a team coached by a baboon with a QB who makes extremely poor decisions.

I was at EVERY game this season. Home and away. I seen this kid up close and personal before and after games. He's a freak and he's worth the gamble in third/fourth round.

i agree with everything you said... although i probably haven't seen as much graham as you, i think he's tremendous value in the 3rd round. The lower part of the second round is even an option IMO.

Look, when i see him, i see a project who, yes, needs coaching in the route running department. Is that really a big problem ? It's not like he played football for 10 years and his route running up to this point in his career has reached its ceiling, he's a newborn, football-wise !

not only this, but i think his impact would be immediate... the dolphins were much more effective throwing the football when they had their 2 TE packages and had that seam-buster named david martin.

Graham will do that, he'll work up the seams, he'll create mis-matches, he'll block, etc. and while his route running might not be fine tuned, it's all good, because it's not pennington throwing back there, it's henne. What i mean by that is pennington is a timming passer, he anticipates where the WR will be and relies on solid route running ( like the chemistry he had going on with camarillo) ... as for henne, well yes he anticipates, but that gunslinger of his gives him the ability to squeeze that football in tight places when the routes aren't that clean. I think he's also a lot more accurate than people think, and while it's not elite precision, who gives a damn ? throwing at a 6'6 target with 35 inch arms ??? you don't need peyton-manning-like accuracy to hit that guy. And a basketball player like him makes me wanna bet he has one solid pair of hands

when i put all those things into perspective, i think Graham with our 3rd rounder sounds awfully good ...

( and i didn't even talk about how he would help our dreadful redzone efficiency ... :rolleyes: )

Clipse
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Im just not sold on him yes he has his size and athletic to have alot of potential but it can all go to waste if he dont know how to use his talent... Also I just think we have more needs than TE...
He knows how to use his talent. Graham is incredibly smart, and very coachable. I have no worries at all about him busting.

RustyGator
03-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Obviously people have bias. I personally try to keep my bias out of it. I've never said Spikes is better than McClain (although I have said on here you people are insane thinking he's a 3rd rounder). But some of you guys are just insane with your biasness...just out of control with it. I'm not saying Graham is a poor choice. I agree with most of you and see a ton of potential in him. 2nd round for this guy is way too low though. I'd love to see him in a Dolphins uniform.

rent this space
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
6-6, 260 with 4.5 speed and basketball hands? yes please. the only thing hurting him is lack of experience. getting him in the 3rd round would be ok, I would snatch him up in the 4th

HurriPhin
03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd love to have this kid in the 3rd-4th rd. I wouldn't call him a project as much as I would say he has incredible upside and potential. Jimmy would be & will be a very good TE not to mention an awesome red zone threat.

Morey161
03-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Exactly I think the guy can be awesome but I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds at all either. Even 3rd rounder is a little bit of a reach but if that is what it took then I wouldn't to upset with that.

Clipse
03-14-2010, 05:49 PM
This guy will go in the 2nd-3rd round. Not sure where all this 4th round talk comes from.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
i just watched the replay of the senior bowl and i swear this guy is overhyped...i mean i see the potential and all but for my money if i'm taking a te at pick #74 who was in that game it's ed dickson...

dickson did an ok job as an in line blocker and you can see some quickness off the ball and into and out of his routes...of course the qbs couldn't deliver the ball like you'd like to see down the field

a few names i've seen on here who didn't really show me much...

jamar chaney... yeah he got to the ball but when he got there he couldn't keep anyone from gaining extra yards when he tried to tackle them...just along for the ride...that's not a 3-4 thumper by any means

nate allen...thought he was late coming forward in run support and took some bad angles plus when he did arrive he was just pretty much run over by blount on numerous occasions...i think i may have to rethink my value of him somewhat

i thought the safety skinner from maryland had a solid game...arrived in a hurry and contributed with some tackles...

Danny
03-14-2010, 08:06 PM
http://espndb.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480882

He has not done much in his career and is overrated IMO... Why Draft him in the third when his stats are like that..

cause he's from the U....lol

Ozzy rules!!

JCane
12-28-2010, 06:55 AM

Or perhaps we're just a little bit smarter than the average Gator.

;)

Anyone still wondering why everyone is so big on Jimmy Graham? I wanted the Dolphins to draft Graham because I knew what he could potentially be but I never thought we'd see him play so well so quick. He proved me wrong. That's pretty impressive when you can prove me wrong. Dude is out there beasting in the NFL.

Chubby
12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

;)

Anyone still wondering why everyone is so big on Jimmy Graham? I wanted the Dolphins to draft Graham because I knew what he could potentially be but I never thought we'd see him play so well so quick. He proved me wrong. That's pretty impressive when you can prove me wrong. Dude is out there beasting in the NFL.

I wanted Jimmy badly, so pissed that we didnt draft him, IMO he had the softest hands of any of the TE's coming out, every pass in the combine looked like it was landing on cotton when it hit his hands.

Here are some of the players i really wanted from the draft:

Eric Berry- Real Deal
D. Thomas - looks like he just cant stay healthy
Jimmy Graham - Looking good
Aaron Hernandez - real Deal

Ricky4Life
12-28-2010, 10:03 AM

;)

Seeing this guy tearing it up excites me and irritates me. This fo has to leave, how can you pass on this player when fasano is your starting te. Unbelievable.

Kdawg954
12-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Not just Graham . . . the fact that we didn't draft an athletic TE, when this draft was full of them is real frustrating. Graham is gonna be a beast in the NFL, and he has already made an impact his rookie year, something I didn't think we would see so soon.

datruth55
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I wanted Jimmy badly, so pissed that we didnt draft him, IMO he had the softest hands of any of the TE's coming out, every pass in the combine looked like it was landing on cotton when it hit his hands.

Here are some of the players i really wanted from the draft:

Eric Berry- Real Deal
D. Thomas - looks like he just cant stay healthy
Jimmy Graham - Looking good
Aaron Hernandez - real Deal

I wanted Jimmy too but I expected him to go in the 4th. He went sooner than I expected.

I'm just ticked we didn't take ANY TE in that draft. Gresham, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Dickson, Graham, Moeaki, even Quarless is starting to look pretty good since Finley went down in Green Bay. Amazing we didn't pick a single one but instead loaded up on 5 linebackers and only one of them sees the field with any regularity. (Way to go Jeff Ireland)

finomenal
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Seeing this guy tearing it up excites me and irritates me. This fo has to leave, how can you pass on this player when fasano is your starting te. Unbelievable.

I also wanted Jimmy badly, but this team was also in desperate need of LBs. You have no 3-4 defense without good linebackers, and it's hard to fill all your holes in one draft. If Misi is who they hoped he is, then I'd say it's a win. A strong side 3-4 LB is harder to fill than TE.

JCane
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM
It's all about "stats" with some of you guys. I swear fantasy football has just RUINED some of your football acumen. "Look at his stats."

No, DON'T look at his stats. Look at the dude out on the field. Does he catch the ball? Does he block well? Does he get off the line quickly? Does he run his routes well? Does he create mismatches?

Ok, if he's doing all of these things well, the stats are going to come. Use the eyeball test. Can the kid play football or not.

I remember sitting in Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson watching Jimmy Graham as a Sophomore on the basketball team and turning to a friend and we both began discussion Graham playing tight end for Randy Shannon lol. Dude is the GOODS.

PhinsTD
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Miami's drafting philosophy has been perplexing to say the least. Hindsight didn't take long to show the cracks once again.

It just feels like Miami is always a reactive drafting team, responding to faults as they show, rather a proactive drafting team, which addresses areas before they become needs.

Then when you add the oddball picks like Pat White, who seemed to fly right in the face of everything they say they look for, it just feels like the team hasn't developed a solid plan, nor are they sticking with whatever plan they might have. It's all over the place, and that leaves us scrambling for a TE in a TE poor draft, rather than taking one a year early, in a TE heavy draft.

hooshoops
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
ehhh...catching square ins and quick slants in the tight red zone isn't the most difficult thing in the world...i still wouldn't have taken graham off of how raw he was before the 4th round...went to high for my taste

anyways...bout time someone decided to spread the falcons d out and attack william moore in coverage...especially in the tight red where they need moore in there for run support and can't sub out a coverage player on early downs...

if i'm playing atl william moore is getting schemed to attack in coverage...provided i have a damn te i can split out wide (which we don't...figures)

datruth55
12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
ehhh...catching square ins and quick slants in the tight red zone isn't the most difficult thing in the world...i still wouldn't have taken graham off of how raw he was before the 4th round...went to high for my taste

anyways...bout time someone decided to spread the falcons d out and attack william moore in coverage...especially in the tight red where they need moore in there for run support and can't sub out a coverage player on early downs...

if i'm playing atl william moore is getting schemed to attack in coverage...provided i have a damn te i can split out wide (which we don't...figures)
I see a lot of teams doing that more and more....we can't. Not that Henning would do it anyway, heck we don't even run quick slants cause our QB can't hit that pass with any consistancy. We ran more quick slants with Thigpen as starter than we ever have with Henne as a starter.

hooshoops
12-28-2010, 11:35 AM
i don't think we run quick slants cause hennings a clown and henne gets the ball batted at the los so dang much...all i know is 6 ft nothing drew brees leads the league in balls tipped at the los and he's throwin them and we're not

drew brees really impresses me with the way he sets up his protection and his checks at the los...

that was a hell of a game last night...really enjoyed that game

Roonnette
12-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Senior bowl got a lot of people fooled. Jimmy Graham, Tebow, Blount, Danario Alexander, Nate Allen, Iupati had terrible showing.

hooshoops
12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
danario alexander is still garbage...bradfords just made him look much better than he is

j-off-her-doll
12-28-2010, 02:15 PM
How did Blount have a terrible showing?

#1dolphinsfan
12-28-2010, 02:41 PM
people saying that Jimmy Graham is tearing it up is a joke i liked him coming out of college and he has been a decent TE so far in the NFL but nothing more IMO he has a lot to improve on still but he has all the potential in the world to do so. if you think graham is tearing it up then you must think that Anthony Fasano is a beast

Fin_Frenzy_84
12-28-2010, 03:55 PM
people saying that Jimmy Graham is tearing it up is a joke i liked him coming out of college and he has been a decent TE so far in the NFL but nothing more IMO he has a lot to improve on still but he has all the potential in the world to do so. if you think graham is tearing it up then you must think that Anthony Fasano is a beast
I agree 100 percent with you.. Fasano is putting up way better numbers than Graham and you have to also look who is throwing him the ball...

JCane
12-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi, my name is Jimmy Graham and I am a ROOKIE.

Roonnette
12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi, my name is Jimmy Graham and I am a ROOKIE.

+1. To say Fasano is better than Graham is ridiculous. Fasano can only dream of doing things Graham can do.

state06
12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Still wish we drafted him, oh well, not the first prospect we missed.

ChambersWI
12-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior bowl got a lot of people fooled. Jimmy Graham, Tebow, Blount, Danario Alexander, Nate Allen, Iupati had terrible showing.

the thing with Blount was always his attitude. He would've made the Titans squad had he not punched a teammate.

Alexander has made 2 plays all year, still very raw with shot knees.

Allen's stock rose after the combine.

Iupati's Senior Bowl just hurt the idea he could be a LT. If I remember he did good in interior drills, but he struggled against speed rushers.

As for Tebow.... it is still early, but as I said leading up to the draft you shouldn't bet against somebody with those type of intangibles. His biggest weakness was/is his delivery. He has good size, an adequate arm, and a good IQ. But again, that work ethic is hard to bet against.

hooshoops
12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
allens stock rose due to the impressive feet and hips he showed at the senior bowl week in coverage...although i thought he didn't show much in the actual senior bowl game

dolfan_101
12-28-2010, 10:19 PM

;)

:lol: