PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific on HBO

DzakkH13
03-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't know how many of you saw Band of Brothers, but a new series will be premiered today called the Pacific.

I am a big fan of BoB and I am anxiously waiting this new series. It chronicles the Marines in their Japanese campaign. It should be good and shows tonight at 9 p.m. on HBO.

I'll let you know how it turns out! :woot:

dreday
03-14-2010, 11:33 PM
link to the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99B80crU3E&feature=player_embedded)

looks to be full of win...i'll peep it.

GoonBoss
03-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Times like these I wish I had cable. BoB is astonishingly good, and I will be picking up this series on DVD when it comes out.

Possum
03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't know how many of you saw Band of Brothers, but a new series will be premiered today called the Pacific.

I am a big fan of BoB and I am anxiously waiting this new series. It chronicles the Marines in their Japanese campaign. It should be good and shows tonight at 9 p.m. on HBO.

I'll let you know how it turns out! :woot:im going to have to wait for it to come out on dvd. but i just got Band of Brothers on Bluray. one word: amazing.

CedarPhin
03-17-2010, 06:35 AM
I too have to wait for this on DVD. I really want to see it though.

GoonBoss
03-17-2010, 07:09 AM
You can watch it on HBO's site. All you have to do is register.

Clipse
03-17-2010, 07:19 AM
This is a great series. Cannot wait to see the whole thing. Must see for any history/war buffs like myself. Loved BoB, so it comes as no surprise I love The Pacific as well.

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
really good show...really looking forward to the 2nd episode this sunday night...

GoonBoss
03-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Watched the first show. I have to say while very sound in technical details, it's like a whole portion of the movie was left out. Part of the effectivness of BoB was the building of the relationships of the men. This one is just sort of "Here's people shooting at each other for no apparent reason."

DzakkH13
03-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree Goon, no real relationships yet. I think they wanted to convey the men before the war and thus no boot camp type settings or more bonding scenes. I assume that is what they are trying to do. I cannot wait until sunday so we can see more.

GoonBoss
03-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree Goon, no real relationships yet. I think they wanted to convey the men before the war and thus no boot camp type settings or more bonding scenes. I assume that is what they are trying to do. I cannot wait until sunday so we can see more.

BoB moved at a fast pace, while being slow in spots that mattered. The battle scenes were fantastic, but ultimately the battle scenes in BoB served to make us understand why this band of brothers WAS. What did they go through? What happended to them?

Pacific seems like it's in such a hurry. It's in a dead out sprint to reach a point somewhere that it's just completely out of whack. I don't know any of the characters. I know the one guy....And he's really not that interesting, even though they try to give him depth, and sadly fail.

I'd still buy the series if only to show people the technical aspects of setting up a water cooled .30 cal Machinegun.....That was really fantastic how they did that. Other than that? We've got a reasonably good '50s WWII movie.

GoonBoss
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM

the thing about war movies is that guys in uniforms and helmets tend to look alike. There are certain things that people that have been around each other for a while can pick out to spot each other from a distance. My buddies in the Army told me that when I walked, my head never bobbed an inch, and that the roll of the brim of my hat. This is why you need to cement relationships while people don't have gear on. Gear dehumanizes and sets one into warrior mode. You're sort of like a ghost, except to those people who know you.

We knew the men of BoB...I don't feel I know ANYONE from Pacific

DzakkH13
03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I know what you mean Goon. I remember hearing them talk about how they were able to follow a whole platoon in BoB, but in The Pacific they planned on only following the story of three men. I have no idea why they chose to do this, but I hope to find out more in tomorrow's episode.

uga3406
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
This is going to be a great series..I saw the 1st episode and loved it..I expect it to get better once the series gets deeper into personality of men...also i dont expect the bonding in this series a su did compared to band of brothers...has a different feel to it...as u saw within 20 mins they were in the thick of if

GoonBoss
03-20-2010, 08:55 PM
It's got a different feel to it from BoB. It's forced to tell us a story on the story alone, rather than a narration, which I feel is the preferred style. I just don't think it's doing a very good job at it.

DzakkH13
03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I thought that second episode was pretty amazing. I really am looking forward to more intense scenes like the one they had this past sunday.

BARF
03-23-2010, 12:05 AM
I too have to wait for this on DVD. I really want to see it though.

same here

uga3406
12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
just got the pacific on dvd for cmas and gotta say it is putting me to sleep...so not bob which was way better...i am hoping it gets better from here on out but im really dont like it so far....another thing that is pissing me off, most the episodes r only like 45-50 mins long somtimes bob went for an hour or more...