PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant stock slipping......

SSMITH24
03-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Dez Bryant-WR-Player Mar. 14 - 1:37 pm et

According to the National Football Post, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant draft stock is "slipping and might continue to slip."
"I talked to two teams that need a receiver and feel like hes a huge talent but also a huge risk," the NFP's Mike Lombardi writes. Bryant could ease a lot of concerns by showing up to his March 25 individual workout in tip-top shape and performing well. He's going to be a steal if he gets out of the top ten.
Source: National Football Post

I think if he is there at 12 we have to take him.............

SSMITH24
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Sorry forgot to put this in the draft forum my bad............

Nublar7
03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
He is still going to be a top 15 pick if not a top 10 pick. There is definitely going to be a chance that he is on the board when the Dolphins pick. If he is, they REALLY need to consider taking him.

Mr. Magoo
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
One of the few offensive players who would trump our needs on defense. Spiller might also fall into that group, assuming we could trade Ronnie for a mid to late second.

Aqua and Orange
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't believe this post at all. If anything, Dez's stock has risen considerably since the end of the season, and many have him going to the Chiefs with the 5 pick.

Much like Percy Harvin last year, I'm guessing Dez will be a topic many will regret spending so much time on when he is gone well before we pick.

MiamiDolfan85
03-14-2010, 02:03 PM

According to the National Football Post, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant draft stock is "slipping and might continue to slip."
"I talked to two teams that need a receiver and feel like hes a huge talent but also a huge risk," the NFP's Mike Lombardi writes. Bryant could ease a lot of concerns by showing up to his March 25 individual workout in tip-top shape and performing well. He's going to be a steal if he gets out of the top ten.

I think if he is there at 12 we have to take him.............his stocks been slipping since he lied to the NCAA(I dont agre with the punishment he got tho...still)

TheBow305
03-14-2010, 02:07 PM
This is making me more giddy by the day thinking he may actually be our pick. I still have SERIOUS doubts though obviously.

bobw999
03-14-2010, 02:08 PM
As long as he slips to us at the #12 spot I'll be happy.

callaway1234
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM
his stocks been slipping since he lied to the NCAA(I dont agre with the punishment he got tho...still)
What's the full story on him? Didn't he get suspended for most of last season? And he's still being considered a top prospect? I really don't follow college FB so I'm just wondering.

MiamiDolfan85
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
What's the full story on him? Didn't he get suspended for most of last season? And he's still being considered a top prospect? I really don't follow college FB so I'm just wondering.
yea,and its amazing how some people think Dez is gonna be an impact player his first season.The guy hasn't played competive football in basically a whole year.Now,do I believe every rumor about Dez??

of course not,cause we went through this with Vontae Davis.However,theres just way to much smoke,to not be just a spect of fire in there somewhere.

Bottomline,I just dont feel completely safe with Dez at 12,when a guy like Demaryius has none of the complaints and issues Bryant does,and I would not be worrisome at all with him at 43...

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
so you think bebe is gonna have more of an impact than dez bryant in his rookie season???

wow :lol:

MiamiDolfan85
03-14-2010, 02:27 PM
so you think bebe is gonna have more of an impact than dez bryant in his rookie season???

wow :lol:
I must have Fantasia-syndrome...where did you read that in my post?

hemidemon
03-14-2010, 02:29 PM

I think if he is there at 12 we have to take him.............
What do you want to bet one of those two teams was Miami?

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 02:31 PM
yea,and its amazing how some people think Dez is gonna be an impact player his first season.The guy hasn't played competive football in basically a whole year.Now,do I believe every rumor about Dez??

of course not,cause we went through this with Vontae Davis.However,theres just way to much smoke,to not be just a spect of fire in there somewhere.

Bottomline,I just dont feel completely safe with Dez at 12,when a guy like Demaryius has none of the complaints and issues Bryant does,and I would not be worrisome at all with him at 43...

you're saying you don't see dez making an impact his rookie season...but you're saying you'd rather have bebe later...i assume that would mean you would take bebe that high cause you expect him to have an impact from the get go...if not why even take him there???

surely you don't want to wait 2 years on a return of your high 2nd round investment???

that's where i got the bebe more impact than bryant stuff from

hemidemon
03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
There's gonna be some upset fans when Dez is there at 12 and Miami passes on him. I won't one them.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
There's gonna be some upset fans when Dez is there at 12 and Miami passes on him. I won't one them.

there's gonna be some dumb front office execs when they do it also...real dumb

a team that needs talent talent talent passes up a top 5 talent at a position of need...

dumb

but please don't act like you know what the miami front office is gonna do...that's just garbage

ChadHenne
03-14-2010, 02:42 PM
If we pass on Dez Bryant and it's not for Eric Berry, I'm going to be sick.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 02:50 PM
even if lombardi did talk to miami they know that he's a national media outlet...if they did in fact have bryant as a target god knows they wouldn't tell lombardi so he can run with it on the internet and national television...

remember this is that time of year where rumor and bs is rampant...

MiamiDolfan85
03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
you're saying you don't see dez making an impact his rookie season...but you're saying you'd rather have bebe later...i assume that would mean you would take bebe that high cause you expect him to have an impact from the get go...if not why even take him there???

surely you don't want to wait 2 years on a return of your high 2nd round investment???

that's where i got the bebe more impact than bryant stuff from
no...I never attempted to presume Bey-Bey was as/more NFL ready than Dez.However,you have to look at it from Miami's perspective.We need a WR...no doubt about that,but our defense was the reason for our collapse,not the offense.We were among the worst 4th quater defenses in the league last year.Our run defense broke down from being no. 1,to decreasing every snap of every game there on.Our WR corps needs to be upgraded,but its not severe enough to warrant a top pick of a player that hasnt played for basically a year,and has so much drama surrounded about him.

Defense is the regime's MO,and I dont expect that to change for the no. 1 WR in the class of '10.Dez is good,no doubt about that,but hes not great.Hes not a "can't miss" prospect,although he is the closest thing to it.I just cant see a WR beign drafted by Miami...at least not this year.The drop off in talent is not as great for Bryant to Demaryius as SOLB for Brandon Graham/Derrick Morgan to ?????

hemidemon
03-14-2010, 02:59 PM
there's gonna be some dumb front office execs when they do it also...real dumb

a team that needs talent talent talent passes up a top 5 talent at a position of need...

dumb

but please don't act like you know what the miami front office is gonna do...that's just garbage
You're right. I don't know what the FO is gonna do. I don't know who the FO is gonna pick, but if you look at the history of BP it's not hard to predict who they are gonna avoid. BP has never put up with diva WRs. A player like Dez can tear a locker room apart. The coaching staff has even said this. When they introduced the wildcat Sparono told his QBs to leave their ego's outside. If we pick Dez at 12 his agent will say he is a top 5 talent and he should be payed that way. Our FO will not do it. That means Dez will hold out. His agent did it with Crabtree last year. Every FO factors in a players agent when drafting. It was the signing of TO that caused BP to leave Dallas. If Miami is gonna take a play maker in the first round and Dez and Spiller are on the board...Miami would take Spiller. History tells you that.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
You're right. I don't know what the FO is gonna do. I don't know who the FO is gonna pick, but if you look at the history of BP it's not hard to predict who they are gonna avoid. BP has never put up with diva WRs. A player like Dez can tear a locker room apart. The coaching staff has even said this. When they introduced the wildcat Sparono told his QBs to leave their ego's outside. If we pick Dez at 12 his agent will say he is a top 5 talent and he should be payed that way. Our FO will not do it. That means Dez will hold out. His agent did it with Crabtree last year. Every FO factors in a players agent when drafting. It was the signing of TO that caused BP to leave Dallas. If Miami is gonna take a play maker in the first round and Dez and Spiller are on the board...Miami would take Spiller. History tells you that.

you do realize that jeff ireland is making these decisions primarily...right??? how else can you explain jake long when chris long was parcells guy or an underclassmen cb with off field concerns in vontae davis last year or a qb from a non pro offense who is 6 ft and 190 lbs like pat white...these are not parcells picks per his past either...

these are jeff ireland calls i would say...

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 03:10 PM
no...I never attempted to presume Bey-Bey was as/more NFL ready than Dez.However,you have to look at it from Miami's perspective.We need a WR...no doubt about that,but our defense was the reason for our collapse,not the offense.We were among the worst 4th quater defenses in the league last year.Our run defense broke down from being no. 1,to decreasing every snap of every game there on.Our WR corps needs to be upgraded,but its not severe enough to warrant a top pick of a player that hasnt played for basically a year,and has so much drama surrounded about him.

Defense is the regime's MO,and I dont expect that to change for the no. 1 WR in the class of '10.Dez is good,no doubt about that,but hes not great.Hes not a "can't miss" prospect,although he is the closest thing to it.I just cant see a WR beign drafted by Miami...at least not this year.The drop off in talent is not as great for Bryant to Demaryius as SOLB for Brandon Graham/Derrick Morgan to ?????

i understand you're thought process but just tell me this...do you have an olb or a fs or a nose for that matter higher rated on your board than dez bryant...not named eric berry???

if you don't why would you pass and take a guy at a different position with a lower grade??? i think that's crazy

i have dez bryant top 5 talent in the draft period...right behind berry

MiamiDolfan85
03-14-2010, 03:23 PM
i understand you're thought process but just tell me this...do you have an olb or a fs or a nose for that matter higher rated on your board than dez bryant...not named eric berry???

if you don't why would you pass and take a guy at a different position with a lower grade??? i think that's crazy

I do,but right after you set up your board,you start to split hairs,to seperate the propects you want,from the ones you dont.For me,the reward doesnt exceed the risk...We dont really need a no. 1 WR,we jut need a yac guy...someone who will take a 5-yard out,and make a 25 yard gain off of it.Dez can do it,but so can Demaryius,so for me it would be smarter to get the player w/ the less baggage and anemosity,also we get him for a significantly lower price,besides,we run the ball almost 50% of the time,maybe even more,and theres no one in this WR class that blocks more and is as good of a blocker than Demaryius,and its not even close....not to mention defense should be our priority first...its more in dier need than offense.

check out D. Thomas blocking at 2:14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMK59U6nCuw

check out the first highlight of this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDhGrYAx5g&feature=related

he completely blew up the safety....I've never seen Dez that enthusiatic about blocking,which is very underrated for WR's

look at 3:47 also....hes just so physical,you can't not like that...

XxfeensterxX
03-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I'd rather have Brandon Graham. We need defense a lot more then a #1 WR.

skipp2myloo13
03-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I'd rather have Brandon Graham. We need defense a lot more then a #1 WR.

Drafting for need alone will put a franchise in such a hole. Wr is a big need, and Dez is a perennial all pro in the making. Match made in Heaven, and hopefully Miami.

hemidemon
03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
you do realize that jeff ireland is making these decisions primarily...right??? how else can you explain jake long when chris long was parcells guy or an underclassmen cb with off field concerns in vontae davis last year or a qb from a non pro offense who is 6 ft and 190 lbs like pat white...these are not parcells picks per his past either...

these are jeff ireland calls
Yes I do. Who was Ireland hired by? Who does Ireland answer to? Who mentored Ireland. Ireland was hired by BP b/c they share the same ideas and philosophies about how to build an NFL team. Yes Ireland is the GM, but you can't tell me that BP has no input or influence b/c he does. It's no secret Pat White was BPs choice. BP was very excited about Pat White. Vontae was never suspended for a season. A big difference. Vontae fully participated in all off season events before the draft. Vontae had trouble early on, but straightened out as time went on. Jake was taken over Chris b/c both BP and Ireland agree a team is built from the inside out. That first draft was mostly O-lineman and D-lineman. Our bigger need was on the O-line and that's what he filled first. Our bigger need is on defense this year and that is where Ireland is gonna go. Miami will not draft Dez, and Dez will be there at 12. One more thing, Ireland believes the spread offense is headed for the NFL. He has said this. That's why he was on board with the Pat White pick. Pat White and Tyler Thigpen are both spread offense QBs.

jlfin
03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

You pass on a guy if you think he may have a long holdout and not even be contributing to your team.
All the talent in the world won't help a team if said player isn't on the field playing.
If Morgan or Berry fall, I think the FO pulls the trigger before they would consider Bryant.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I got some questions for you??? If Dez is there at 12 and we pick someone else would I be the only one mad???

thejetssuck
03-14-2010, 04:48 PM

If that happens, and that is a HUGE IF, I will be LIVID unless, of course we decide to pick Eric Berry instead, should he be available at our spot, then all we be at peace with the universe.

thejetssuck
03-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I got some questions for you??? If Dez is there at 12 and we pick someone else would I be the only one mad???
Hell no!!!!! Unless we are picking Eric Berry instead, my head will explode from how pissed off I will be. The only other option that would make me happy if Bryant landed at our spot is if we traded down for another 1st next year, and like a 2nd and 4th this year. Next year's wr class is WAY better than this year's.

3rdandinches
03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

I would argue the Defensive co-ordinator had more to do with it then the players. If the defense was so bad we would have not been able to stop anyone at any time. But it was the poor half time adjustments or lack there of that killed this team. We still need to improve the defense talent wise but to place the blame on the players solely would mean PP would still be here!

D.Thomas would be a great pick up but your assuming he's there when our second pick comes around. So therefore you pass on the WR that is in front of you (Dez) and then miss an opportunity to fix a hole on the team. You only pass on Dez if you have 4 other WR's you think you can get and their better then the OLB's you would get there.

I really think this is a mute point, only because I doubt Dez will be at 12. Even if Denver doesn't trade Marshall before the draft they will continue to shop him after. They can also keep him for the year and trade him next year after Franchising him. So Dez becomes a priority for them, Jacksonville could easily snap him up after solving their pass rush with Kampman, Buffalo has no receivers, Seattle show'd interest in Marshall so they may see him as a cheaper alternative, Cleveland needs receiver help. It just seems like too many teams with the same need to let him drop.

Mr. Magoo
03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
We dont really need a no. 1 WR,we jut need a yac guy...someone who will take a 5-yard out,and make a 25 yard gain off of it.

And see, this is where your logic is flawed. Georgia Tech's offense didn't require Demaryius to run 5 yard outs. Or 10 yard outs. Or skinny posts, or digs, or jerk routes, or quick slants, or sluggos, or posts, or square ins. Didn't require him to read defenses either pre-snap or on the move.

All he ran was the bubble screen, the fly route, the hitch and go and a lazy kind-of post corner.

What makes you think he's going to be able to run the route tree when he never has? What makes you think that in his first year he's going to be anything more than Patrick Turner... a big guy with questionable quickness who runs lousy routes and doesn't get much separation.

He won't see the field in his first year. Period. Perfecting the route tree takes years. Given his limited experience we can't even be sure he has the hips or the quickness to get separation no matter how much he practices. I'm inclined to think he can, but you don't know.

Dez Bryant, on the other hand, is faster, quicker, probably has better hands and is used to running all kind of routes, and very well. From Day 1 he sees the field and I think would dominate on occasion.

The simple fact is that you don't take a Demaryius Thomas if you're a team in desperate need of a WR. As a rule, the more immediate the need of a position, the more important it becomes to pick up established players over raw players with potential (free agency works on this same principle).

The Dolphins have a huge need at WR, so what we're forced to do as an organization is take game ready receivers who maybe don't have a very high ceiling -- the Brian Hartline's of the world -- just so we can try to field an effective attack. Guys who can play right away. It's only when you have those good players in place that you have the luxury of taking a guy like Thomas and letting him ride the pine until he's ready.

And this is where Dez Bryant comes in. He's the best of both worlds. A game breaking talent who's also experienced and polished. A guy who's already excellent and will only get better. Those kinds of prospects are rare.

Mark my words on this. The team that takes Thomas will already have a stable of good receivers. I see Dallas in the 2nd.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
You pass on a guy if you think he may have a long holdout and not even be contributing to your team.
All the talent in the world won't help a team if said player isn't on the field playing.
If Morgan or Berry fall, I think the FO pulls the trigger before they would consider Bryant.

i'm not passing up elite talent (which we seem to all agree bryant is) because i'm afraid of his agent...

you telling me if eric berry had this agent that makes everybody curl up in the fetal position and he was there at #12 we should pass him up???

heck no we shouldn't just like we shouldn't pass up dez bryant over his agent choice...

all this talk of how much we need "playmakers and top level talent for the long term" and you guys want to pass it up cause you're afraid of his representation???

this guy has the kind of skills that would make him our best wr from the day he sets foot in the training facility...nfl ready right now ...probably in his rookie season would get us more receiving tds than our entire wr core combined last year...

3rdandinches
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Mark my words on this. The team that takes Thomas will already have a stable of good receivers. I think he'll go to Dallas in the 2nd.

No way he lasts that long, absolutely no way. He will be a late 1st early 2nd and I doubt very much that he see's the 2nd round at all.

But if you just look at the beginning of the 2nd StL, TB, Wash, Clev, Seat, Buf and TB again all need WR help.

Mr. Magoo
03-14-2010, 05:27 PM
No way he lasts that long, absolutely no way. He will be a late 1st early 2nd and I doubt very much that he see's the 2nd round at all.

But if you just look at the beginning of the 2nd StL, TB, Wash, Clev, Seat, Buf and TB again all need WR help.

Need position + raw player = Fired coach.

And I don't get the certainty on him being taken in the late first. Not at all. The guy hasn't worked out for a single coach. He hasn't run a single verified 40. We don't know what his agility drills say about his potential to run crisp routes.

This is the Tim Tebow of wide receivers, folks. A talented guy with good production whose college system has left him almost completely unprepared for the NFL. He'll have to be remade, virtually from the ground up. If you take him, you're going to have to have a nurturing environment where he can watch and learn for a few years before he's ready to show what he has.

The Dolphins' needs are more immediate, as are the needs of most of the teams you mention. Not saying that one of them might not reach and take him, but they'd be fools to.

ckparrothead
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Need position + raw player = Fired coach.

Well said.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 05:35 PM
if someone takes bebe in the first it will be someone with:

1) likely an established legit wr core in place who can afford to just stash bebe while he learns the craft or have him active just for specific packages in the short term that doesn't need him to be a starter from day 1...

2) a gm of an already perennial playoff contender who has job security for the long term and even without bebe in his wr core can win now...

3) a team who can afford to let long term potential trump immediate need...

ckparrothead
03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
On the other hand, calling Demaryius Thomas the "Tim Tebow of WRs" is entirely overdone.

ckparrothead
03-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I disagree that Bey Bey won't produce in his rookie year. With his physicality and run blocking skills, he could immediately find himself on my 46 man active roster. He can play special teams and he would be the first non-RB skill position player I put on the field in Wildcat formations.

I agree that he is going to need to learn his routes slowly at the NFL level, but as a coach if I look at him I know I can find a way to put him on the field. There are some guys I can't say that about.

Clipse
03-14-2010, 05:51 PM
The only offensive player I would take with #12.

ckparrothead
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't see the need to destroy Bey Bey as a draft prospect in order to make Dez Bryant look better, overall.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
this is off topic but i heard cj spiller despite the pouring down rain lit up his pro day workout....cuts on a dime explosion you name it

solidified a top 15 grade...mayock said scouts told him this is "the real deal here...folks"

if like the brass keeps saying we need playmakers who can give us chunk yards cj spiller is the definition of that...

if it's offense it's bryant and spiller for me at pick #12...no doubt

Clipse
03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
this is off topic but i heard cj spiller despite the pooring down rain lit up his pro day workout....cuts on a dime explosion you name it

solidified a top 15 grade...mayock said scouts told him this is "the real deal here...folks"

if like the brass keeps saying we need playmakers who can give us chunk yards cj spiller is the definition of that...

I'll pass on Reggie Bush at #12.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
well then you pass on 10 all purpose tds next year if he stays healthy...

Clipse
03-14-2010, 06:05 PM
well then you pass on 10 all purpose tds next year if he stays healthy...
As well as passing on someone who won't be able to run in the pros. I'm quite fine with that.

Mr. Magoo
03-14-2010, 06:19 PM
On the other hand, calling Demaryius Thomas the "Tim Tebow of WRs" is entirely overdone.

And I would agree with that. It's by no means a perfect comparison. And I'm not trying to destroy Thomas (I don't consider comparing him to Tebow destroying him) for the sake of building up Bryant. I was just trying to drive home the point that there's a great deal of difference between the two. A world of difference, in my opinion, that some people in this thread don't see to be able to grasp, apparently having just looked at his physical gifts and YPC.

Tebow is very raw, and has a lot of flaws and bad habits in his game. Thomas is more of a case of being raw and inexperienced than having flaws. But I think the amount of work both are going to need is similar and the time it will take before you really know what you have is comparable. That's all.

Even if you think he could make the active roster playing special teams, the notion advanced in this thread by some (not you) that he's going to come in help solve our WR problems the way Bryant would as a WR is ludicrous.

ckparrothead
03-14-2010, 06:30 PM
this is off topic but i heard cj spiller despite the pouring down rain lit up his pro day workout....cuts on a dime explosion you name it

I've been saying that my top 5 prospects in this draft are locked in at Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Eric Berry, C.J. Spiller and Dez Bryant for a reason. I've resisted allowing any other prospect, even ones as good as Derrick Morgan, into their exclusive company. For me, those five are just incredible football prospects and they should go top 5 regardless of position need.

Suh and McCoy have maintained their value nicely. Eric Berry gave Mike Mayock and others a fine little "F&$K you!" at the Combine. C.J. Spiller looks fantastic in the rain at his Pro Day. Next up will be Dez. I'll be very surprised if this draft slide of his is real and not fictitious, and I'll be equally surprised if he disappoints anyone when he does finally work out for them.

hooshoops
03-14-2010, 06:38 PM
all 5 of those guys are fantastic on tape...in any other year mccoy would be the #1 dt without question imo but suh just went out and did work like no other dt i've ever seen...

did we have representation at the spiller workout???

ckparrothead
03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I haven't checked. I'll go ahead and assume we did. As things stand, I know that Spiller has caught the Dolphins' attention.

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Eric Berry gave Mike Mayock and others a fine little "F&$K you!" at the Combine.

:lol:

Xeticus
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't want him at 12. He hasn't played football in a year and I don't want someone with Eugene Parker and Deion Sanders whispering in his ear. I wouldn't take him til round 2.

2413fanphins
03-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't want him at 12. He hasn't played football in a year and I don't want someone with Eugene Parker and Deion Sanders whispering in his ear. I wouldn't take him til round 2.

give me a break. round two for a top five talent.

that doesn't begin to make sense on any level.