PDA

View Full Version : Why Eric Berry falls to us...

mandal24
03-15-2010, 02:29 AM
I understand a talent like Berry should not fall to us. I see a scenario playing out where he could be that one player that slips.. which seems to happen to some player every year

Let me also add that some scouts (Mike Mayock also) have Earl Thomas ahead of Berry. As a Fin fan, I'd take either but Berry would be my choice by a wide margin..

Rams- Sam Bradford..It all starts with a franchise QB. Bulger is garbage and after passing on Matt Ryan, they finally get it right.

Lions- Russel Okung- After signing some D-linemen help, Lions take Okung to protect Staffords blindside.

Tampa Bay- Suh- If he falls, Bucs are ecstatic and dont think twice

Washington- Anthony Davis- Surprise pick but Shanahan is an offensive guy plus that D in the DC is actually really good. The Oline is in shambles... Jimmy Clausen could be the guy but I think Shanahan tries to work with Jason Campbell. (Mccoy falls bc Washington needs offense)

Kansas City- Brian Bulaga- Just like in years past, the run on the tackles starts. Chiefs wont win unless they can keep Cassel off his back. Gotta protect your money man. With Waters, Albert and now Bulaga, that Oline just got a huge boost. (after going after Tyson Jackson with the 1st pick last year, Mccoy falls again)

Seattle- Jimmy Clausen- With Seneca Wallace gone, Pete Carrol gets his QB of the future to be a backup for a year. He can sit a year behind the aging Matt Hasselback. Seattle has another pick so they know they can still get immediate help with that 2nd first round pick. (Mccoy falls once more as Clausen is too good to pass up, Seattle cant take a chance)

Cleveland- Gerald Mccoy- Holmgren comes in with an old school approach. Fix the trenches first. They got their stop gap Qb in Delhomme to hold it down for one year, they took two WRs with early picks last year and signed Watson to be their starting TE. They also have two quality running backs in Harrison and Davis. Mccoy falling is the easiest pick for Holmgren as that Browns Dline now has some power with Rogers and Mccoy on the same front.

Oakland- Trent Williams- Honestly, its Al Davis so who really knows but after getting a bunch of skill guys (Mcfadden, DHB) and a surprising safety early last year in Mike Mitchell, Raiders look to protect their Qbs blindside and block for Mcfadden. Joe Haden teamed up with Asu would be intriguing as well.

Buffalo- Dan Williams- Buffalo will be switching to a 3-4 and have absolutely no personnel to run it. It all starts with a Nose Tackle and they grab him. They desperately need a LT but they wont reach here. Rolando McClain or Dez Bryant are other options. Eric Berry definitely isnt going here with Whitner and Byrd on the roster.

Denver- Rolando McClain- With the surprise release of Andre Davis, plus only one "real" 3-4 ILB in DJ Williams, McClain seems like the easy pick here. They also drafted Darcel Mcbath to be their future FS, after Dawkins loses his game. Theyre deep with their secondary also drafting Alphonso Smith early last year.

Jacksonville- Dez Bryant- Jaguars are seriously in trouble if they dont sell tickets. Reggie Nelson has been a huge disappointment but they can address the FS position in the 2nd round. This is the team that many people said would draft Tebow here because they need some excitement. While I think thats definitely not happening, adding a talent like Bryant opposite Sims-Walker would definitely create some fireworks on offense! Oh and the Jags were also dead last in sacks so before they address the safety issue, theyre gonna need to add some pass rushers.

Miami- Eric Berry- Superstar Ed Reed-type talent to secure the back end of Mike Nolans aggressive style defense.

The only teams I could see drafting Berry besides us would be the Browns, Jags and Seahawks. The Bucs could select him as well but if the Rams hopefully select Bradford, the Bucs get one of the two stud D-linemen and dont look back.

#1dolphinsfan
03-15-2010, 02:30 AM
i dont see it happening but i wish it would

JCane
03-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Again...

LMAO @ Earl Thomas being ahead of the GREAT Eric Berry.

:lol:

What a joke. These guys are trying to hard to be different and make everyone think they know more than they really do. Earl Thomas ahead of Eric Berry?

Eric Berry is the best player in this draft. Write it down...

#1dolphinsfan
03-15-2010, 02:55 AM
Again...

LMAO @ Earl Thomas being ahead of the GREAT Eric Berry.

What a joke. These guys are trying to hard to be different and make everyone think they know more than they really do. Earl Thomas ahead of Eric Berry?

Eric Berry is the best player in this draft. Write it down...
Suh and McCoy are better then Berry IMO

amir7
03-15-2010, 02:58 AM
this would be a dream come true, but i doubt it. if he somehow gets past cleveland, the only team you would have to be worried about is jacksonville.

JCane
03-15-2010, 03:07 AM
If the Rams pass on Eric Berry, someone needs to be fired. If the Lions pass on Eric Berry, someone needs to be fired...and then the remaining GM's need to all be fired for not trading up to get this kid. Suh will have an amazing rookie season with nine sacks. Eric Berry shuts down half of the football field. Opposing QB's don't even bother studying film on this dude because it's pointless.

rickd13
03-15-2010, 07:30 AM
If the Rams pass on Eric Berry, someone needs to be fired. If the Lions pass on Eric Berry, someone needs to be fired...and then the remaining GM's need to all be fired for not trading up to get this kid. Suh will have an amazing rookie season with nine sacks. Eric Berry shuts down half of the football field. Opposing QB's don't even bother studying film on this dude because it's pointless.

The Rams will take Sam Bradford if his shoulder is healthy. The Lions will take either Suh, McCoy, or one of the offensive tackles. Both teams would be doing the right thing because A) You do not pass on a franchise QB. B) You build your teams in the trenches first. Bill Parcells planet theory. There are only so many guys that are big and athletic enough to play in the trenches in the NFL.

outlawd2u
03-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Things like this make sense but some teams(the smart ones) draft best player available over need. In this scenerio Berry is definitely the BPA after the 3rd pick, I just don't see 8 straight teams passing up the best player to adress a "need".

Clipse
03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
There is no scenario where Eric Berry falls to #12. Might as well get it out of your head now. Earl Thomas isn't half the player Berry is, and Berry will not fall to #12. End of Story.

OrlandoFin
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I could see Berry falling as well, and the reason being because all of the O and D for that matter tackles I see that could go in the top 11 picks. In my post combine mock I have Berry to Miami at #12 as well. Another thing people have to look at is the mathematics of the situation. Safeties don't normally warrant the biggest salaries so if you are going to pay a premium for a top 10 pick then get a position that warrants those salaries, LT, QB, CB and pass rusher.

Pitbull13
03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Yea, I don't think so. There are a few players I would love to have in this draft Bryant, Berry, and Spiller. Realisticly I see Spiller there at 12. Honestly, I think we should get Marshal but I won't even go there.

rev kev
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
There is usually a run on LTs in the first round & few draft prognasticators ever take this into effect - not sexy enough

52CANES
03-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Once Okung is taken, it will get interesting...'

newlownorder
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm going to be a realist and say that Dez Bryant has a better chance at being there at #12 than Berry. Forget Berry, he's too good to fall out of the top 10, let alone the top 5.

nolefin
03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
i agree with jcane berry is the best player in the draft, total stud

Yamilo
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
So what? some teams will not taking him just because he is the best player in the draft. If a team has a bigger need at another position then they might look past him.

AquaAdrenaline
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
I've been reading that the Browns and the Bucs are trying to swap picks with the Lions in order to get Bradford or Suh respectively. In that scenario it's going to shake things up and any team from #4 and below will probably have Berry or Okung at top of their board.

OrlandoFin
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I've been reading that the Browns and the Bucs are trying to swap picks with the Lions in order to get Bradford or Suh respectively. In that scenario it's going to shake things up and any team from #4 and below will probably have Berry or Okung at top of their board.

I think the Bucs can sit right where they are at #3 and get Suh. I think the Rams (or someone) takes Bradford at #1. I thank the Lions go Okung at #2. They have made a huge investment in a QB, now they have to protect him. Draft Okung and he is their LT starting day one for the next 10 years. This is a deep draft for DT and if they want a DT there will be several good ones there in round two.

Bus wont trade up, but I could see them trade down because they don't want to pay #3 money. The Glaizers are just about broke, and they want to keep payroll as low as possible.

Digital
03-16-2010, 12:21 AM
People forget, defenses tend to play the nickel half the time and the dime a lot these days. Nickel backs aren't listed as starters on most depth charts, but they play a much as or more than the FS on many teams. While Berry is an exceptional FS, some defenses wouldn't leave him on for obvious passing downs or when they need more coverage, so he's a situational player. To those teams he doesn't have as much value.

But, I think most DC's would simply switch Berry to the lone S when they play the nickel, or assign him interior coverage. I see him as a marquee player, but he's not a DE or OLB, so many teams will not want to burn such a high pick on a FS, it's just that simple. While unlikely, it is possible he falls ... although falling to 12 would require the stars to align.

SRM
03-16-2010, 12:31 AM
I just can't see it happening. One of those teams is going to draft talent over need. If it does though.. I don't even know man, I would just go bat **** crazy.

Clipse
03-16-2010, 01:59 AM
So what? some teams will not taking him just because he is the best player in the draft. If a team has a bigger need at another position then they might look past him.
No they wont. Berry is a player you take regardless of need, and with Seattle and Cleveland both needing a safety, Berry will not fall. It's just not going to happen. Again, Berry will not make it past Cleveland or Seattle.

Clipse
03-16-2010, 02:02 AM
People forget, defenses tend to play the nickel half the time and the dime a lot these days. Nickel backs aren't listed as starters on most depth charts, but they play a much as or more than the FS on many teams. While Berry is an exceptional FS, some defenses wouldn't leave him on for obvious passing downs or when they need more coverage, so he's a situational player. To those teams he doesn't have as much value.

But, I think most DC's would simply switch Berry to the lone S when they play the nickel, or assign him interior coverage. I see him as a marquee player, but he's not a DE or OLB, so many teams will not want to burn such a high pick on a FS, it's just that simple. While unlikely, it is possible he falls ... although falling to 12 would require the stars to align.
Yea, Berry is a situational player. Teams sure have no need for a guy with elite coverage skills like Berry on the field at all on passing downs. Berry will play every down...

Buff
03-16-2010, 03:09 AM
As much as I would love to see this happening, I highly doubt that it will. KC, Seattle or Cleveland will pick him should he fall that far to 7. If he did, and he managed to fall past the jags to us, then I will be stunned.

CedarPhin
03-16-2010, 03:13 AM
I don't think he'll make it past Seattle.

CedarPhin
03-16-2010, 03:13 AM
I don't think he'll make it past Seattle.

Phinatic8u
03-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I will laugh when we draft Thomas & he becomes the next Ed Reed, & Berry becomes Gibril Wilson, (I LOVE BERRY BUT IM IN A LAUGHING MOOD LOL)