PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Eric Berry

munchkin
03-15-2010, 05:08 PM
LaRon Landry was a superior NFL prospect and look at the impact he has had on Washingtons Defense

Just because Landry was athletically superior and hasn't been worthy of a top ten pick, I realize that doesn't automatically make Berry not worthy either but when looking at the Safety's chosen in the top ten over the past ten years

Landry-not a bust but not top 10 worthy either
M.Huff-Bust
D.Whitner-Bust
S.Taylor-RIP good ss but not worthy of a top 10 pick
R.Williams-Near bust

Not 1 has been as advertised

Here is an ESPN article about Landry before the draft in 07

Landry appears poised to be next great safety

He started in 48 of 52 appearances at LSU and recorded 315 tackles, including 16 tackles for losses, eight sacks, 12 interceptions, 28 passes defensed and 2 forced fumbles. He also had a blocked field goal and a blocked punt. At the combine, Landry measured 6-feet- and 213 pounds, ideal size for the position. He was clocked in the 40-yard sprint at a blazing 4.35 seconds, a better time than turned in by all but four of the 42 wide receivers and all but two of the 28 cornerbacks during the Indianapolis workouts.
Landry had a 37-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 3-inch long jump at the combine and improved those numbers to 38 inches and 10-6, respectively, at his pro day workout.

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Sifting through ESPN material, mock drafts, blogs, and listening to the talking heads after the season is over, and leading up to the draft is the worst time to get familiar with prospects....

College football is on every Thursday night, and every Saturday basically from September to January....every year...

Try watching it sometime....

Eric Berry is a better safety prospect than Laron Landry....

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Eric Berry is a safe pick for any team.

munchkin
03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Slimm
I watch plenty of College football. And L.Landry was damn near a perfect NFL prospect and one hell of a college football player.

ChadHenne
03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

SQuinn17
03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Eric Berry is the best defensive player in the draft. you really think Sean Taylor wasn't worth a top 10 selection? That's laughable.

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Slimm
I watch plenty of College football. And L.Landry was damn near a perfect NFL prospect and one hell of a college football player.

Not in my estimation he wasn't....and I watched him for 4 years at LSU....

He was a tremendously gifted athlete.....but doesn't have the football IQ or instincts Berry has....

There's a reason Berry was the NCAA leader in Interceptions Per Game, Interception Yards, and Interception Returns for Touchdowns in only his first 2 years before he basically played SS in Monte Kiffin's defense as a junior...

Had he been playing FS as a junior instead of mis-cast playing up close to the LOS as a junior.....he would've built on that resume...

JCane
03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Worst thread in FinHeaven's history. Seriously.

Eric Berry...best player in this draft. Ed Reed-like...

#1dolphinsfan
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Sean Taylor was Worthy of a Top ten pick.

3rdandinches
03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Yes we should pass on E.Berry because players that have nothing to do with him weren't as good as advertised in years past! That makes a tonne of sense, let's also not draft an OLB at 12 because V.Gholston wasn't as good as advertised either.

SnakeoilSeller
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
So you are finally coming to the realization that the entire draft is a crap shoot?

munchkin
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
E.Berry is not a savior that the fortunes of a franchise will live or die with, that's my point. This forum has built him up immensely. That being said, he is the best safety in this draft (although E.Thomas can cover better) and I would love to see him in a Fin uniform.

I just wouldn't expect a safety to lead us to the promise land, unless of course that safety is Super Bowl 7 MVP Jake Scott.

munchkin
03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Sean Taylor was a very good safety but was not the game changer he was expected to be coming out of college. I would guarantee that if that same draft was redone 2 years later, he would not have been selected in the top ten.

Morey161
03-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Slimm

Well you obviously don't know how to judge talent. He was drafted when the Redskins still had Sean Taylor. Also, Eric Berry is the best prospect in the draft.

munchkin
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Morey161, you need to chill out. There have been thousands of players that have passed away who have had an NFL career, its a damn shame and most of them went way before their time. It doesn't mean that we can't discuss their football careers or that we have to say every player that has passed on was the greatest player in the world.
The Skins drafting L.Landry while they still had Taylor goes the opposite way in proving your point. Even though they played different safety positions so I'm not sure why you even brought it up.

Clipse
03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
What a stupid thread to say the least... Landry was not the prospect Berry is. Berry overrated? The best S prospect in years is overrated? A guy with elite coverage ability, elite in run defense, vicious hitter with elite range and instincts is not overrated... Then you throw in that Taylor isn't worth a top 10 pick and you help cement how bad this thread is.

SRM
03-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Saying Sean Taylor wasn't a worthy of a top 10 pick is straight up bull****. Yeah, he was/still is my favorite player, but still. Ask anyone who knows football, and they'll tell you you're full of crap. The guy totally changed offensive gameplans, and I guarantee you anybody with the ball had their head on a swivel like a squirrel when 21 was lined up on the other side.

3rdandinches
03-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Berry sucks, he's overrated do you hear that STL, Det, TB, Wash, KC, Sea, Clev, Oak, Buf, Jac and Denver! Big time bust beware, lol!!!!!

foozool13
03-15-2010, 11:40 PM
S. Taylor was worthy of a top 10 pick for sure.

Digital
03-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Obvious, but Eric Berry isn't a great prospect, he's a can't miss prospect. The fact that he has the athletic tools is wonderful, but it's the dominating play, ferocity, intensity, leadership, natural ballhawking skills, and ability to read a play that makes him light years ahead of any FS prospect I've seen since Ed Reed. I'm a big Earl Thomas fan ... and he may have even better ballhawking ability and coverage ability than Berry, but there's only one can't miss prospect in this draft, and it's Eric Berry. Every single other prospect comes with some risk.

XxfeensterxX
03-16-2010, 12:20 AM
LOL, I read the title and I knew this wouldnt be a good thread.

Come on Sean Taylor not worthy of a top 10 pick?

Eric Berry looks like the next Ed Reed, obviously he could flop, but out of everyone in this draft, he is the safest pick. He would be a blessing to Miami.

DaDolfan25
03-16-2010, 01:05 AM
this post is laughable to say the least. sean taylor was arguably the second best safety behind ed reed when he passed. the only thing laron landry had done to be even considered a superior nfl prospect was how he tested at the combine. his 40, vert and weight measurements were off the charts. eric berry, on the other hand, has been arguably the best defensive player in the country for the past two years and is often compared to ed reed.