PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant seems really risky

Tiko377
03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
According to the National Football Post, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant draft stock is "slipping and might continue to slip."
"I talked to two teams that need a receiver and feel like he’s a huge talent but also a huge risk," the NFP's Mike Lombardi writes. Bryant could ease a lot of concerns by showing up to his March 25 individual workout in tip-top shape and performing well. He's going to be a steal if he gets out of the top ten.
Source: National Football Post

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com writes that he "wouldn’t be surprised if (Dez) Bryant slips out of the first round entirely."
Marvez cites a recent ESPN The Magazine report that claimed Bryant was "notoriously unreliable" in college, and that "Getting him to focus on even simple tasks like attending class was a daily struggle." In addition to FOX and ESPN The Mag, the National Football Post, Cleveland Plain Dealer, and Yahoo have published negative reports about Bryant in the last month.
Source: FOX Sports

hmmmm

JCfinfan
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Thats exactly why we will not pick him with our 1st. I see him falling into the 20's.

Mcganiel
03-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I feel exactly the same way.

hemidemon
03-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I picked this kid to drop like a stone.

thejetssuck
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I can only pray that the 11 teams that pick in front of us have the same mentality as all of you.

#1dolphinsfan
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
The same thing happened to moss when he was coming out of college I think if he is there at 12 and we pass it will be a huge mistake he is a true #1 WR which we need the only way I wouldn't be upset if we passed on him is if Suh, McCoy, or Berry are still on the board

Phinfan99
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Whatever happens, I trust the FO is doing what they think is best for the team

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
safe sucks...

ckparrothead
03-16-2010, 12:57 AM
You know how you know that this stuff has gone from legitimate questions about a guy to a disinformation-fed media frenzy?

When you start hearing questions raised about areas of a guy's game that anyone with a pair of eyes KNOWS are strengths.

You know what that National Football Post author also said, that the original poster didn't quote? Not faulting the original poster at all, but here...

Bryant is without a doubt a guy who can stretch the field vertically, and he has that playmaking ability to go up and get the football.

But, what about the red zone — where the field shrinks and defenses play with a much more physical style than out in the field? Will he show up?

Yeah. He said that. He actually suggested that Dez Bryant is a questionable red zone receiver.

I don't know how many of you guys actually watch these players or how many don't. For those that do, and have really put the spotlight on Dez for any amount of games...let that statement of Bowen's sink in for a moment.

That's how far things have gone.

If Dez Bryant is a questionable red zone receiver then there isn't a single WR in this draft capable of catching a touchdown pass from inside the 20 yard line. Period.

Mr. Magoo
03-16-2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah, there's one catch he made for a two point conversion (against Alabama, I think) with two guys draped all over him that should be able to answer any questions about his ability in the red zone. With his ability as a leaper, his long arms and strong hands, there shouldn't be those questions anyway, but maybe that's just me.

This thread is hilarious.

ckparrothead
03-16-2010, 01:32 AM
It was Georgia. I view 2-point conversions as basically touchdowns. That would be his 3rd touchdown of the game against Georgia.

What really strikes you about that game is that Georgia's secondary players especially Prince Miller and Bryan Evans tried to cheap shot Dez and get in his head. They did succeed because Dez did drop a ball or two at the beginning that he doesn't usually, and later he got an off setting personal foul when he and a Georgia guy got chippy with one another...and he also followed up with another penalty somewhere along the way that was him being a little too feisty. But the thing they did not do, by taking all these late hits and cheap shots on him that went completely uncalled by the refs...is neutralize him. He had 3 catches for 77 yards and 2 TDs, and like I said he also had the 2-point conversion which I personally consider to be a 3rd TD catch.

Hard to say what the buffoon Matt Bowen is trying communicate on that point. In the same breath he talks about Dez being excellent at going up and getting the ball. Well, that's one of the big ways to score in the red zone is it not? And if it's about running around and getting open, take a look at his 2008 Oklahoma game some time, watch him work his way back to the QB when the pocket collapses and then loop around and outrun a player with his RAC ability to score. Look at his TD against Prince Miller's coverage in the Georgia game. The guy can score by getting open in the end zone, or he can score by going up and getting the ball. The 2-point conversion was a remarkable play because he was doubled very physically and looked like he was well covered...but he did not give up on the play as I've seen SO MANY receivers do in both college and pros. He kept fighting and when the ball was up, he climbed the ladder.

FinsFanatic777
03-16-2010, 01:41 AM
CK, which receiver(s) so you like better... Dez Bryant or the ones coming out next year (Michael Floyd, AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, etc..)?

ckparrothead
03-16-2010, 01:49 AM
There's no comparison with Jonathan Baldwin in this class. Baldwin is probably the best receiver coming out since Randy Moss, with the possible exceptions of Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

Right now, at this moment, Dez Bryant would have to go above guys like Floyd, Green and Jones. But they all still have at least one more year to improve as players...so who really knows?

TedSlimmJr
03-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Ability and route running in the red zone is precisely one of the things that puts Dez as the #1 receiver in the draft on my board......just like it did for Crabtree...

Screw the rumor mill....the kid obviously has some issues....and you can tell he has some by watching him play....but if he can go somewhere and get with a coach that can keep him motivated and focused on what he needs to be doing....he can be as dominant as he wants to be...

I also agree on Baldwin....from a talent/upside/physical/size/speed ratio.....there's probably nobody to compare him to.....but I actually like A.J. Green more at the moment....that kid makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up he's so good...

FinsFanatic777
03-16-2010, 02:35 AM
There's no comparison with Jonathan Baldwin in this class. Baldwin is probably the best receiver coming out since Randy Moss, with the possible exceptions of Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

Right now, at this moment, Dez Bryant would have to go above guys like Floyd, Green and Jones. But they all still have at least one more year to improve as players...so who really knows?

I agree with Jonathan Baldin; he is one of the most dominant physical specimens for a receiver... But the strange thing is he is rarely mentioned among the top receivers in the 2011 draft... In fact, all I've heard are the "trio of star receivers" next year consisting of AJ Green, Michael Floyd, and Julio Jones.

This is what WalterFootball.com (one of the few sites that are actually legit) says in the 2011 mock draft:
"13. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
2010 NFL Mock Draft (http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php) selection (as of 3/14/10): None

Believe it or not, but there are other receivers in this 2011 NFL Draft class besides Julio Jones, Michael Floyd and A.J. Green. Jonathan Baldwin, at 6-5, 225, caught 57 balls for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore in 2009.

Bears fans would love to get Jones, Floyd or Green, but Baldwin is definitely not a bad consolation prize."

IMO, Baldwin outproduced Jones (he's a physical blocker but had a lot of bad drops) and Green, and I don't think Floyd will have a dominant season since Clausen and Weis are both out in ND...

hooshoops
03-16-2010, 07:53 AM

i would put dez above those 3 as well right now...

ckparrothead
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I also agree on Baldwin....from a talent/upside/physical/size/speed ratio.....there's probably nobody to compare him to.....but I actually like A.J. Green more at the moment....that kid makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up he's so good...

Hard to go wrong with any of those four. Baldwin is the guy that gives me chills because of his body control. One of Randy Moss' former WRs coaches once said that one thing people don't know about Randy is that if you take him to a high dive board at a pool and ask him to execute a high dive, he could damn near be an olympic high diver because his body control is that great. To me, Baldwin has that. What it does for you is, forget the times when he's so fast he is running free, even when he's not wide open he can create an extra yard of separation at the very last second with body control...and he has the hands to seal the deal.

JCfinfan
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
He just moved his Pro Day back again.

thejetssuck
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
You know how you know that this stuff has gone from legitimate questions about a guy to a disinformation-fed media frenzy?

When you start hearing questions raised about areas of a guy's game that anyone with a pair of eyes KNOWS are strengths.

You know what that National Football Post author also said, that the original poster didn't quote? Not faulting the original poster at all, but here...

Yeah. He said that. He actually suggested that Dez Bryant is a questionable red zone receiver.

I don't know how many of you guys actually watch these players or how many don't. For those that do, and have really put the spotlight on Dez for any amount of games...let that statement of Bowen's sink in for a moment.

That's how far things have gone.

If Dez Bryant is a questionable red zone receiver then there isn't a single WR in this draft capable of catching a touchdown pass from inside the 20 yard line. Period.

I have also heard that he is a registered sex offender and beats little kids up for their lunch money. How horrible it would be if he fell to our 12 spot :lol:

TedSlimmJr
03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree with Jonathan Baldin; he is one of the most dominant physical specimens for a receiver... But the strange thing is he is rarely mentioned among the top receivers in the 2011 draft... In fact, all I've heard are the "trio of star receivers" next year consisting of AJ Green, Michael Floyd, and Julio Jones.

This is what WalterFootball.com (one of the few sites that are actually legit) says in the 2011 mock draft:
"13. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
2010 NFL Mock Draft (http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php) selection (as of 3/14/10): None

Believe it or not, but there are other receivers in this 2011 NFL Draft class besides Julio Jones, Michael Floyd and A.J. Green. Jonathan Baldwin, at 6-5, 225, caught 57 balls for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore in 2009.

Bears fans would love to get Jones, Floyd or Green, but Baldwin is definitely not a bad consolation prize."

IMO, Baldwin outproduced Jones (he's a physical blocker but had a lot of bad drops) and Green, and I don't think Floyd will have a dominant season since Clausen and Weis are both out in ND...

One thing that really sticks out to me with Walterfootballs 2011 mock draft here is the omission of Aaron Williams.....

Texas will have another 1st round DB selected next year if they declare...and it's going to be Aaron Williams in my opinion...