PDA

View Full Version : Safety Draft History This Decade

fin_fan23
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Safeties taken in round 1-2 this decade.
2009- Louis Delmas 33; Patrick Chung 34; 42 Jairus Byrd; Michael Mitchell 47; Darcel McBath 48th; William Moore 55th;

2008- Kenny Phillips-31st; Tyrell Johnson 43rd;

2007- Laron Landry-6th; Michael Griffin 19th; Reggie Nelson 21st; Brandon Merriweather 24th; Eric Weddle 37th; Gerald Alexander 61st; Sabby Piscitelli 64th

2006- Michael Huff 7th; Daniel Bullocks 40th; Danieal Manning 42nd; Roman Harper 43rd; Bernard Pollard 54th

2005- Antrelle Rolle 8th; Carlos Rogers (listed as DB) 9th; Thomas Davis (listed as DB) 14th; Malin Jackson 29th; Brodney Pool 34th; Josh Bullocks 40th; Nick Collins 51st

2004- Sean Taylor 5th; Bob Sanders 44th; Michael Boulware 53rd; Madieu Willams 56th; Sean Jones 59th

2003- Troy Polamalu 16th; Ken Hamlin 42nd; Brian Scott 55th; Mike Doss 58th; Terrence Kiel 62

2002- Roy Williams 8th; Ed Reed 24th; Lamont Thompson 41st; Tank Williams 45th; John Mcgraw 57th; Michael Lewis 58th

2001- Adam Archuleta 20th; Derrick Gibson 28th; Idrees Bashir 37th; Michael Stone 54th; Tony Dixon 56

2000- Rashard Anderson 23rd; Mark Roman 34th; Mike Brown 39th; Rogers Beckett 43rd; Kenoy Kennedy 45th; Deon Grant 57; Travares Tillman 58

Pro Bowl Safeties drafted this decade not in first two rounds(including previous decade)
Antoine Bethea-round six; Yeremiah Bell-round six; Quentin Mikell-UFA; Adrian Wilson-3rd round; Chris Hope-round 3; John Lynch-round 3; Brock Marion- round 7; Aeneas Williams-round 3; Sammy Knight-UFA; Rodney Harrison-round 5

Pro Bowl Safeties this decade drafted in the previous decade's 1-2 rounds
Rod Woodson- 10th overall; Brian Dawkins-round 2, 61st; Lawyer Milloy-round 2, 36; Darren Sharper- round 2, 60th; Corey Chavous-round 2, 33rd; Jerome Woods-round 1, 28th;

I may be off base, but the ratio of unsuccessful low picks to successful high picks at the safety position seems more dramatic than at other positions. It pretty much seems to me that if you want a superstar safety,you can't expect it to happen in later rounds. Just seems like there are more examples of lower round stars at other positions. I don't know, you decide. Also, I don't know that the top two safeties have been quite this hyped coming into the draft in recent years, save that run on safeties in 05 that started with Rolle at 8. Don't know that I wanna see this list next year if we skip Thomas at 12.

TedSlimmJr
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM
What's interesting is that almost 1/4 of those pro bowl safeties are converted cornerbacks (Rod Woodson, Corey Chavous, Aeneas Williams, etc..)

Even Troy Vincent was converted to safety later in his career after being a pro bowl cornerback for a long time.....not sure if he ever made a pro bowl at safety though...

Having the fluid hips to play corner.....along with the ability to transition smoothly out of your backpedal and turn and run in man coverage is a rare trait among safeties......which is why both Berry and Earl Thomas are so hyped...

Ed Reed on the other hand, had very stiff hips......which was one of the main knocks on him coming out of college....he made up for it with his range, ball skills, and unbelievable dedication to film study and learning how to manipulate quarterbacks....even pro bowl/HOF caliber quarterbacks...

When prospects come along with ALL of that combined....(Berry, Thomas) they're going to receive quite a bit of hype....and deservedly so...

fin_fan23
03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, not trying to say they don't deserve the hype... I don't know enough to know either way. I love them both. Thought about getting into that cb conversion through the years, but figured a good soul like yourself would help out.

Phinastotle
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Also we need to look at the Tuna's history of drafting safeties in the 1st round; never, zilch, none. If history repeats itself, we are not getting a safety in the 1st round. The highest he has ever drafted a FS is the 3rd round.

munchkin
03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
A.Rolle was drafted as a CB. He couldn't make it at the pro level so he got moved to safety.

Earlier today, before you made this thread, I posted a thread on safety's drafted in the top ten, none lived up to their potential.

fin_fan23
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah, man... people aren't on this draft section nearly enough, myself included. started to include the cb transitions, but alas.

BESS4LAST
03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
This means expect a safety most likely in the second round if not the third...which sounds about right ...no FS worth drafting @ 12...I Like nate allen, akwasi owusu ansah, or reshad jones there in the 2-3 range...every FS they've looked at have been in that range

SR 7
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Landry had an amazing hype and production coming into the draft went top 5 and hasnt lived up to it. I just like Thomas a LOTTTTT but I'd rather go SOLB round 1 or Spiller and FS round 2.

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 10:15 PM
i don't see one safety on that list that i have with the same grade or better than eric berry when they came out...

not one...

SR 7
03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
i don't see one safety on that list that i have with the same grade or better than eric berry when they came out...

not one...

yea but I doubt another Berry or Polamalu will come out anytime soon. Those 2 are just so insanely good and dominant its unreal.

hooshoops
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
yea but I doubt another Berry or Polamalu will come out anytime soon. Those 2 are just so insanely good and dominant its unreal.

i think there's one in this draft...eric berry... and he has the potential to be the best of them all...

no doubt

#1dolphinsfan
03-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Dont forget Ed Reed he is better then both those guys IMO

dr.jake
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
if had to pick between berry and haden obviously i go berry. but i would draft haden over earl thomas and move one of our corners cuz haden is better than either and starts day 1.