PDA

View Full Version : Is building through the draft a good idea? This article makes me question it.

JonnyZ81
03-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Found this post about the draft and the first 2 rounds, showing how inaccurate of a science the draft is.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/3/16/1374840/building-through-the-draft-an

I know its only from 2000 and 2001 so i'll be interested in seeing how things change as the study goes into 2002 and beyond. But still is there reason to worry that Parcells and his 'build through the draft' theory is outdated?

or am i just being paranoid?

silvrwrx
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
of course building through the draft is the best way to improve your team. first off the draft consist of more than 2 rounds obviously and good players can come out of the second day picks. (JT, Z. Thomas...Tom Brady ect). You not only can good players through the draft but also with the exception of the first round players you can get them cheap.

in the draft teams use the picks to not only try to find starters but depth is HUGE in this league. Injuries/suspensions can drastically effect a teams performance if there is no one behind them who can be some what productive.

to answer your question look at BP teams he's been a part of..all are high caliber teams with starters who were under the radar...you might just be a little paranoid. Trust in the big tuna, he could of left with all his money bud didnt because his job wasnt done.

Nublar7
03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Wannstedt didn't really believe in building through the draft and look what that did for us. Look at all the traded picks for "name" veterans that failed or past their prime. Seau, Feeley, Boston to name a few. They targeted free agents and basically ignored the draft. How did that turn out? Yes, a few good years initially, but it led to 2004 and the team took until 2008 to really rebound from that mess.

The Jets may have a good year this year and maybe even next. The long run though will show why it was a mistake.

Build through the draft? Or go the Wannstedt route again? Answer is simple.

Oraclepz
03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Just ask the most dominant teams of the last 10 years... Colts, Steelers, Patriots... how did they build their teams????

TedSlimmJr
03-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Just ask the most dominant teams of the last 10 years... Colts, Steelers, Patriots... how did they build their teams????

Exactly....you don't see the Colts, Steelers, Patriots,....even the Chargers pissing away draft picks.....they're stockpiling them instead...

Now the Cowboys, Redskins, etc.....where's pissing away all those draft picks for "proven" players gotten them?

A draft pick is only as valuable as the idiot that holds it....