PDA

View Full Version : Jets school Fins on Art of FA and Draft

phinfreak
03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Say what you want about the hated Jets, they are injecting the talent necessary to win championships and will probably see a SB before the Fins do.

By the time Tedd Ginn and all other draft picks develop into playmakers or difference makers, and by the time Parcells pulls the trigger on a WR, the Jets and other teams (Patriots) will have a stable of playmakers driving whoever our dang S is going to be nuts.

In this league, you win by scoring via the pass. Here are the Jets loading up on talent, trading up in the draft to get the QB they coveted, and here we are sitting on our hands without a #1 WR! WTF is that?

Now Jets entertaining the thought of Brandon Marshal? Are you kidding me Parcells?

While this regime takes its time in "building via the draft" with their share of misses, other teams will be playing for a championship, or at least moving into and thru the playoffs.

NE took a chance on Moss. TOwens had a better year in Buffalo, yes, Buffalo than any fin WR. Brandon Marshall is equivalent to a franchise WR. Nobody on the board at #12 is that.

TO is a very cheap pickup. If other coaching staffs can manage personalities, why cant the fins?

Any big time WR is going to be a diva. To say Fins dont want to deal with a Diva WR is just plain stupid. It comes with the territory-Most of the time.

No Diva, No WR, No touchdowns, No playoffs, No SuperBowl, no attendance at home games.

Get it Parcells?

Ross wants butts in seats. You get that with touchdowns and prolific passing games, not 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Get with the ages Parcells!

twg76
03-16-2010, 12:40 PM
No one knows what will happen in 2010. But the Jets are making it clear that they want to win a Super Bowl in 2010 right after they went to the AFC Championship game in 2009. There is a sense of urgency in their organization right now. They even have a new stadium to play in. All of that helps to get people's minds in the right place - all on the same page.

Miami does seem to be taking an idealistic approach so far, and it doesn't look good. But like I said, no one knows what will happen. You can't plan for injuries or players having breakout seasons. But one does have to ask why it seems Miami is holding back. For what?

PhinzN703
03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
The Jets are one of two teams that are really active this offseason. You haven't seen NE or Buf do anything either. The Bears and Browns are the only other teams that have really done something to improve their team.

I like what the Jets are doing. I'd love Cromartie and Tomlinson on our team. If they add Marshall, you have to peg them as SB Contenders.

Zounds
03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
The Jets traded a 3rd for a horrible CB, they cut Thomas Jones, and are looking at a WR who was shut down by Andre Goodman last time we played them. Explain to me how they are making good moves? And your desire to sign TO makes your post lose all credibility.

ArmyFin7
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
So....they replaced TJ with a back who is less productive and now they're gonna win it all? Got it.

phinfreak
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I guess the question is why are the Fins being assertive in improving this team for next year and beyond?

NE went out and got plenty of FA last year and prior.
Buffalo got TO, who had a way better year than any Fins WR.
Jets, they have a plan to get better, and contend now. They're not signing old players either.

What have Fins done to contend?
What impact move have they made?

None. Same ole same ole.

KlausC
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
The Jets traded a 3rd for a horrible CB, they cut Thomas Jones, and are looking at a WR who was shut down by Andre Goodman last time we played them. Explain to me how they are making good moves? And your desire to sign TO makes your post lose all credibility.

Cromartie is a horrible CB now? LMAO. Is he a puss about tackling? Sure, but he's a good corner with the talent and athleticism to be great as shown in '07 when SD actually had a pass rush. He will flourish in the Jets pressure scheme, unlike the zone scheme in SD the last couple of years.

I don't want Marshall, but he is a dominant receiver. Your posts stinks of homerism.

oasis
Understand the frustration, but...

NE hasn't won a SB with Moss.

TO has never brought a SB to the teams he has signed with.

The last few SB winners have all drafted and developed most of their talent in house, or been very wise on the larger FA acquisitions (Brees).

Yes, buying the big names does make you a GOOD team, at least a contender, and puts butts in the seats and sells those jerseys. But I think it also provides some barriers (egos, perhaps) to climbing the last hill and winning it all. Ultimately, it's the chemistry and passion that's built through group struggle and development that gets you the championship. You just can't buy it.

The Jets will be a very good team, and may even kick our butts up and down the field twice a year for the next season or two. But that doesn't mean they're going to win it all.

NYinBostonFin
Thomas Jones > LT right now.

Cromartie is overrated from reports I heard.

I want Brandon, but not for a 1st.

phinfreak
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
So....they replaced TJ with a back who is less productive and now they're gonna win it all? Got it.

They didnt replace TJ with LT...LT has a role.

Dont you know who the starting RB for Jets is?

This is why people get so frustrated on these posts. You dont know what youre talking about.

Slim
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I guess the question is why are the Fins being assertive in improving this team for next year and beyond?

NE went out and got plenty of FA last year and prior.
Jets, they have a plan to get better, and contend now. They're not signing old players either.

What have Fins done to contend?
What impact move have they made?

None. Same ole same ole.

^^^ Ummm they spent nearly 50M on a position of dire need. I bet Stephen Ross doesn't see that signing has 'same ole same ole'

finnns2000
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Why are people still surprised? The game has passed Parcells by! He's a moron. The guy is labeled a god on here, yet has 0 rings in the last 20 years. 2 decades. As others have said, he was never a good talent evaluator, just a good football coach.

The game has passed him by. The game has passed him by. The game has passed him by. This moron thinks power running is still how you win championships. In this league you need speedy, quick receivers. This moron thinks big receivers are important. He pays an assload of money to Ernest Wilford. He drafts Patrick ****ing Turner in the 3rd round when most mock drafts have him going late late late in the draft. Neither will pan out.

Not to mention our woes with injuries. This guy keeps relying on injury prone players like Pennington, Grove, Smiley, and Ronnie. I got news for my fellow Phin fans. We're not winning jack **** until this old senile fool is out of Miami. Until then, we will continue to watch other teams win playoff games. Simple as that.

phinfreak
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Understand the frustration, but...

NE hasn't won a SB with Moss.

TO has never brought a SB to the teams he has signed with.

The last few SB winners have all drafted and developed most of their talent in house, or been very wise on the larger FA acquisitions (Brees).

Yes, buying the big names does make you a GOOD team, at least a contender, and puts butts in the seats and sells those jerseys. But I think it also provides some barriers (egos, perhaps) to climbing the last hill and winning it all. Ultimately, it's the chemistry and passion that's built through group struggle and development that gets you the championship. You just can't buy it.

The Jets will be a very good team, and may even kick our butts up and down the field twice a year for the next season or two. But that doesn't mean they're going to win it all.

Oh really? How many SuperBowls have Moss, TO, and Brees played in?

How many has anyone on this Fins roster played in?

Thank you.

Zounds
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Buffalo wasted $6 million dollars in 1 year for an ordinary WR, who didnt make the team any better imo. If he was really that good, dont you think they would have kept him? It was a desperate move by a desperate team.

ArmyFin7
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
off the top of my head....Dansby and Torbor played in SB....Torbor even managed to win one....

kingfin23
03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I agree.. Our FA has been horriable. For a long time. We never trade up to get a player.. We just sit and wait. Now I no why we didn't win a championship in almost 40 years. I'm sorry but fans overrate BP big time. The man is old school. He has no idea what he,s doing.. That Diva WR junk is old school.. Fans that don't want Marshall clearly don't watch football.. I'm sorry but BP got to go.. We need a man that has a set of balls.. BP is the DiVa... Ok I was just mad. But come on we need to get Marshall in here.. Come on BP get it done... Jets and pats will beat us twice.. So right there. Were 0-4... Not good

TheBow305
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
All these :boohoo:posters should leave now! Run run far far away and never come back.

Aqua and Orange
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Maaaan, if there was a thread title that I looked at and said, "That guy is going to get killed by Finheaven posters", it was this one.

While I don't agree in much of the reasoning in the body of the initial post in this thread, I do agree that the Jets have been active and are making it known to their fanbases that they are not going to be idle after essentially coming in 3rd/4th in the league last year. That is admirable, even for a hated division rival.

We still have time left in this offseason, and the Jets can still mess up the draft like they did with Gholston, but their ability to make their team a premier destination for free agents after all this time is to be commended.

finnns2000
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
All these :boohoo:posters should leave now! Run run far far away and never come back.

Can't take the truth son? I have a feeling you're the one doing the :boohoo:

:lol: Babies

phinfreak
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
off the top of my head....Dansby and Torbor played in SB....Torbor even managed to win one....

Wow! Torbor? He cant even start here. C'mon man.

Dansby just signed, never played a down here.

Dude...C'mon.

AdamC13
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Wow...put down the GREEN kool-aid. You are ready to hand the Jets a championship based on their play makers. :lol:

Sanchez stats last year...

196 comp, 364 att, 53.8%, 2,444 yards, 12 TD, 20 int, 63 QB rating

Henne...

274 comp, 451 att, 60.8%, 2,878 yards, 12 TD, 14 int, 75.2 QB rating

Braylon Edwards played 12 games with the Jets last year and only "once" did he top 100 yards (105 vs. Atl) and the most catches he had in a game was 5 (twice).

Now the Jets have added a worn out running back in LT (Lost Tread) who over the past 4 years his yards per carry has dropped from 5.2 to 4.7 to 3.8 to 3.3...that puts him on pace to average about 2.5 ypc this year.

Why do I have the feeling that if Miami's QB, #1 WR, and RB had those numbers the same fans would be screaming how PATHETIC we are, but since it is the Jets they are on the verge of a championship with their play makers. :rolleyes:

NH-PhinPhan
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Say what you want about the hated Jets, they are injecting the talent necessary to win championships and will probably see a SB before the Fins do.

By the time Tedd Ginn and all other draft picks develop into playmakers or difference makers, and by the time Parcells pulls the trigger on a WR, the Jets and other teams (Patriots) will have a stable of playmakers driving whoever our dang S is going to be nuts.

In this league, you win by scoring via the pass. Here are the Jets loading up on talent, trading up in the draft to get the QB they coveted, and here we are sitting on our hands without a #1 WR! WTF is that?

Now Jets entertaining the thought of Brandon Marshal? Are you kidding me Parcells?

While this regime takes its time in "building via the draft" with their share of misses, other teams will be playing for a championship, or at least moving into and thru the playoffs.

NE took a chance on Moss. TOwens had a better year in Buffalo, yes, Buffalo than any fin WR. Brandon Marshall is equivalent to a franchise WR. Nobody on the board at #12 is that.

TO is a very cheap pickup. If other coaching staffs can manage personalities, why cant the fins?

Any big time WR is going to be a diva. To say Fins dont want to deal with a Diva WR is just plain stupid. It comes with the territory-Most of the time.

No Diva, No WR, No touchdowns, No playoffs, No SuperBowl, no attendance at home games.

Get it Parcells?

Ross wants butts in seats. You get that with touchdowns and prolific passing games, not 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

I'm glad this article isn't about the Fins... Many feel that the Jets took a step back, including me. I feel Parcells is doing a fine job here in Miami.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whos-more-deluded-lt-or-the-jets

AdamC13
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
I agree.. Our FA has been horriable.

Not sure if I agree with you or not...what does "horriable" mean? We are able to be horri? Is that good or bad?

mnphinfan
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Just jump of the ledge and put the rest of us out of our misery becaue:

1. We signed the second biggest FA on the Market in Dansby to fill a glaring hole.

2. LT has over 3,000 touches in his career and is pretty much washed up. He is nowhere near as talented as TJ. Plus they paid LT more than then Chiefs paid TJ so what does that say about the yets FO/Coaching staff and their ability to make smart decisions.

3. The jests have to try to win a Super Bowl now because of the age of the people on their roster. Not only will they be in cap hell next year when a new CBA is reached but they will be void of talent in 2-3 years when all of their aging players retire or suck and they don't have draft picks to replenish their roster.

4. We don't overpay for FA's period. Rolle and Clark are not worth the contracts they signed. Just ask Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.

5. I TRUST OUR FO'S PLAN AND FORSIGHT MORE THAN YOURS AND EVERY OTHER CRY BABIES OPINION ON THIS FORUM WHO THINKS THE SKY IS FALLING INTO DEVELOPING THIS FRANCHISE INTO A DYNASTY.

newlownorder
03-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Jets:
Downgraded the RB position. Downgraded the Safety position. Swapped on scrub CB for another scrub CB.

vs.

Miami:

Upgraded ILB position.

Yep, I'm ready to throw in the towel. The Jets have clearly shown that they vanquish us in FA. :rolleyes2:

PhinzN703
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Why are people still surprised? The game has passed Parcells by! He's a moron. The guy is labeled a god on here, yet has 0 rings in the last 20 years. 2 decades. As others have said, he was never a good talent evaluator, just a good football coach.

The game has passed him by. The game has passed him by. The game has passed him by. This moron thinks power running is still how you win championships. In this league you need speedy, quick receivers. This moron thinks big receivers are important. He pays an assload of money to Ernest Wilford. He drafts Patrick ****ing Turner in the 3rd round when most mock drafts have him going late late late in the draft. Neither will pan out.

Not to mention our woes with injuries. This guy keeps relying on injury prone players like Pennington, Grove, Smiley, and Ronnie. I got news for my fellow Phin fans. We're not winning jack **** until this old senile fool is out of Miami. Until then, we will continue to watch other teams win playoff games. Simple as that.

If Parcells is so out of touch, why does he still have a job?

newlownorder
03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Wow...put down the GREEN kool-aid. You are ready to hand the Jets a championship based on their play makers. :lol:

Henne...

Braylon Edwards played 12 games with the Jets last year and only "once" did he top 100 yards (105 vs. Atl) and the most catches he had in a game was 5 (twice).

Now the Jets have added a worn out running back in LT (Lost Tread) who over the past 4 years his yards per carry has dropped from 5.2 to 4.7 to 3.8 to 3.3...that puts him on pace to average about 2.5 ypc this year.

Why do I have the feeling that if Miami's QB, #1 WR, and RB had those numbers some fans would be screaming how PATHETIC we are, but since it is the Jets they are on the verge of a championship with their offense. :rolleyes:

You also forgot to mention that Miami lost their starting NT, starting CB, starting RB and starting QB last year. Pretty sure most teams wouldn't be able to do much if that happened to them.

Kthurmus23
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
All this talk of how many Dolphins have been to superbowls, well how many Jets have been? I have no problem with how the front office has gone about the offseason. They are building through the draft. I don't think the Jets have done anything special. LT is pretty much washed up, plus he isn't the main back anyway. Greene is a downgrade from Jones. Cromartie may not have done much since 07, however I do think he is going to play well under Ryan's system.

We all know that the Jets will be tough, but I am pretty sure those teams are thinking the dolphins will be tough as well. If they arnt thinking that then they will be in for a surprise.

nyjunc
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Thomas Jones > LT right now.

Cromartie is overrated from reports I heard.

I want Brandon, but not for a 1st.

I agree that I think Jones is better than LT right now BUT keep in mind before we upgraded the OL Jones ran for 3.6 YPC in 2007, we upgrdaed the Ol in 2008 and he ran for 4.6 YPC. Now LT gets to run behind this big time OL.

Henne...

Why do I have the feeling that if Miami's QB, #1 WR, and RB had those numbers the same fans would be screaming how PATHETIC we are, but since it is the Jets they are on the verge of a championship with their play makers. :rolleyes:

In biggest games of the year for both QBs:

henne final 3 games of reg season: 80-121, 811 yds, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 76.2 rating, 0-3 record

Sanchez 3 postseason games: 41-68, 539 yds, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, 92.7 rating, 2-1 record.

Jets:
Downgraded the RB position. Downgraded the Safety position. Swapped on scrub CB for another scrub CB.

vs.

Miami:

Upgraded ILB position.

Yep, I'm ready to throw in the towel. The Jets have clearly shown that they vanquish us in FA. :rolleyes2:

How did we downgrade the RB position? Greene steps into the #1 role and he's better than Jones, LT steps into the backup role and Leon will return. Our RBs are better than a year ago.

Talent wise we downgraded at S a bit but if poole is healthy we'll be better at S this year.

Cromartie is a big talent, he's had problems off the field and scheme wise in SD. I expect a much better Cromartie at least for a year.

I have no idea why an owner would give him total control, he was a great coach but he's a mediocre GM type. He has never won while picking players, in years he has picked players he has won a grand total of ONE postseason game.

You also forgot to mention that Miami lost their starting NT, starting CB, starting RB and starting QB last year. Pretty sure most teams wouldn't be able to do much if that happened to them.

We lost our starting NT who is alot better than yours and much more important to our D than yours, we lost a starting caliber RB, we got a starting WR in the 5th game, we had our best DE out a game, Calvin pace missed 4 games, our starting QB missed a game, our secondary was decimated at the other corner spot opposite Revis.

qmar
03-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Get it Parcells?

Let's not forget Jets had most of the pieces of the puzzle they needed to get to where they are today. When Parcells and team joined, the Dolphins had close to 0 talent. They had next to nothing to work with. While most believe this team needed 3 years to re-build, the more realistic plan is 4-5 years.

Now, we could be competing with top teams in the AFC if things go well in FA and we have a pretty good draft. If we sign one more FA (be it a NT, WR, or FS) and fill in a couple of the other holes (OLB is a big one) via the draft, we could still be competing in the AFC in 2010. Just think about the talent that this new FO has infused in this team over the past 2 years.

Long
Henne
Bess
Vontae
Sean Smith
Hartline
Langford
Merling
Wake

This doesn't even include key FA's like:
Dansby
Pennington
Starks
Grove
Berger
Smiley
Ferguson

When you think about what's left, the talent the team had to work with is garbage (this doesn't include guys they have let go - i.e. Goodman, Hill, etc.)

Vernon Carey
Ronnie Brown
Ricky
Crowder
Will Allen
Bell

Solai

finnns2000
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Because of his name.

RealityBites
03-16-2010, 07:50 PM

I think they explained the Jets moves above bud.

You saying "The Jets traded a 3rd for a horrible CB" makes YOU lose all credibility. Love him or hate him TO is a HOF WR, and would assume the role as our #1 wideout, because we have NOBODY that keep a defense honest....NOBODY.

I'm not saying I like TO, or want him, I'd love to have Marshall or Jackson, and would trade our 12 for locking in Marshall for the next 5 years. Jackson is going no place.

RealityBites
03-16-2010, 07:56 PM

I see you pulled your head out of the sand long enough to spew bull****, go put it back up your *** clownshow.

Owners, Coaches, and Players come and go, but the Dolphin Fans remain loyal and deal with all the **** in the wakes of all the above. Above all we are allowed to criticize the team as much as we are allowed to cheer for them.

Believe me, you're not more of a fan than anyone here you being a wiseass too.

RealityBites
03-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Just jump of the ledge and put the rest of us out of our misery becaue:

1. We signed the second biggest FA on the Market in Dansby to fill a glaring hole.

2. LT has over 3,000 touches in his career and is pretty much washed up. He is nowhere near as talented as TJ. Plus they paid LT more than then Chiefs paid TJ so what does that say about the yets FO/Coaching staff and their ability to make smart decisions.

3. The jests have to try to win a Super Bowl now because of the age of the people on their roster. Not only will they be in cap hell next year when a new CBA is reached but they will be void of talent in 2-3 years when all of their aging players retire or suck and they don't have draft picks to replenish their roster.

4. We don't overpay for FA's period. Rolle and Clark are not worth the contracts they signed. Just ask Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.

5. I TRUST OUR FO'S PLAN AND FORSIGHT MORE THAN YOURS AND EVERY OTHER CRY BABIES OPINION ON THIS FORUM WHO THINKS THE SKY IS FALLING INTO DEVELOPING THIS FRANCHISE INTO A DYNASTY.

WOW, where did you hide away for the last two years?

#1 We signed the 2nd most overpaid player in FA this offeseason (Dansby)

#2 Guess you didn't see Greene come into his own and forgot they have Washinigton returning to go along with LT and whomever they may draft too.

#3 AGE? We have plenty of aging vets too bro...and they'll also be drafting this year...you act like they have NO picks at all.

#4...We don't OVERPAY...WTF?! Go check out Gerbil's and Wilfords contracts that Ross ate. Pretty sure we ate a chunk on that CB from Arizona last year that was let go. No, we're as stupid as it gets when overpaying for people. Hopefully Dansby will give us some sort of return.

#5 Trust No-one! Demand excellence at all levels, and **** can them if they can't get the job done. Parcells is currently Raping Ross, and Ross knows it....a bad season this year could signal the Tuna getting canned!