PDA

View Full Version : Fly and cry: Babies divide air travelers

BAMAPHIN 22
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
You're stuck in a cramped metal tube with hundreds of strangers for hours, when it invariably happens: A baby starts screaming and the passengers' collective blood pressure seems to rise along with the decibel level.

The issue of crying babies and unruly children on flights is a passionate one for air travelers.

Many say they're exasperated by parents who seem to do little to quiet or control their offspring, while others counter that fliers should be more patient and understanding.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/16/babies.crying.planes/index.html?hpt=C1

Vaark
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
I may be coming off as a curmudgeon, but when my kid was young, he was as uncontrollable and demanding as any; I've taken him out of Epcot rides, restaurants, exhibits, reunions, etc. more times than I can count. When on planes, and he's flown since he was a baby, we'd take him out of the seat and walk down the aisle trying to either rock him to sleep or at least diffuse the racket by spreading it around.

When it comes to others, I expect no less. You cannot fault a fussy child for crying or acting up, but you can fault their parents for being downright inconsiderate or oblivious to disturbing others. Whether I'm on a flight or a place like Starbucks, I'm not shy about strongly requesting they take their children outside, to the rest room or at least up and down a plane aisle. So you can put me in the proactive column when it comes to screaming kids.

..And don't get me started on loud cell talkers who can sit anywhere in a relatively empty SBucks yet choose to sit within my earshot. (Clue, I'm not shy, unless they're a Hells Angel type).

great solution:
LtdpJlZ07u4

BobDole
03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
i agree vaark - i don't get mad at the babies - who don't know any better - i get mad at the parents who sit and do nothing. i hate flying anyways, so when a baby cries on a plane and the parent sits there and does nothing i freak out at them. yeah, i'm not shy either about that kind of ****. even more murder provoking are the parents whose babies cry in a movie theatre and they don't have the common courtesy to take them outside. i will scream at you if this happens and God help you if you decide to be brave.

Vaark
03-16-2010, 02:11 PM
i agree vaark - i don't get mad at the babies - who don't know any better - i get mad at the parents who sit and do nothing. i hate flying anyways, so when a baby cries on a plane and the parent sits there and does nothing i freak out at them. yeah, i'm not shy either about that kind of ****. even more murder provoking are the parents whose babies cry in a movie theatre and they don't have the common courtesy to take them outside. i will scream at you if this happens and God help you if you decide to be brave.

When it comes to pet peeves Bob, you're hitting some of my sweet spots.

As far as movies go, unless it's a kiddy movie, infants and young children have no business being there: I've been known to yell "Shut that ****ing kid up before I do" and usually get a lot of applause and verbal support. Again, if it's a gangbanger or Hells Angel, honestly, I'll bear it, but if it's just ordinary folks, I'm not shy. About 2mos ago, I was sitting outside at a local Starbucks with my laptop doing some work; some guy comes over, and again with plenty of choices sits down right behind me. That's kewl.. until he lights a cigarette; that's still kewl since it's still legal outdoors in Florida. What wasn't is that it was wafting right into my face. So I politely asked him to please point it the other way. He became belligerant and said he had every right to smoke and he'll smoke where he wanted. I got up, went inside to the newspaper rack, took out a Sun Sentinel and started fanning the smoke right back into his face telling him since he was invading my space, I'd do the same. He said I better stop or he'll call the cops to which I responded, "go for it, but don't forget if you file a complaint, your name and address become public record!" At that point he moved about 5 tables down. Again though, it might have been me who moved if he was a biker, banger or roids freak. :lol:

X-Pacolypse
03-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree with both of you. When babies cry, it's their only form of communication when they want something. I'm tired of boosting up my volume on my iPod to the point of ear bleeding just so I can drown out the screaming kid that you won't shut up. Parents need to be more proactive.

JT-forpresident
03-16-2010, 06:37 PM
when babies cry on planes, i rip off the little counter you use to eat that's on the back of the other seat, and smack the baby right in the face !!! Only then can i enjoy my conversation on my cell phone

*(sarcasm)*

CedarPhin
03-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I do alot of flying. I hate when kids either start screaming or kicking the back of my chair during the flight. The only other time that I had a problem was when I flew form LA to London. I'd just gotten on the flight after a looooooong night of driving. When I woke up, I was damn near in London. I had the front row of coach in that 747, and I was planning on getting off. They wouldn't let me get off though, because Britney Spears and her entourage passed right in front of me.

Another one is when the kids start acting up in restaurants. Of course, I too fault the parents for not taking them out and letting them calm down, but instead, they let them do their little song and dance, much to the inconvenience of those around them in the restaurant.

I agree with Bob, Vaark, X, and JT.