PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready For a Brandon Spikes Free Fall.

newlownorder
03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
via twitter:

RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)
Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes wasn't able to break 5.0 barrier in the 40-yard dash, per TFY Draft Preview. Ouch.

Yikes. Worse than Micah.

TXFinFan
03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Pretty good times....for an O-Lineman.

Namor
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
You don't need speed to eye gouge!!!

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
approaching 4th round territory...

now you know why he stayed in school...slow slow slow

Namor
03-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Think about this, T.Cody ran a 5.6 and Spikes ran a 5...Just think about that.

newlownorder
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Prepare for a full spin on behalf of Spikes between now and draft. I'm thinking workout injury (hamstring) affected 40 run.

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
and boom goes the dynamite...

Chubby
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
He is what he is, a thumper in the 3/4 Defense. The guys does make plays here and there :).

NY8123
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Think about this, T.Cody ran a 5.6 and Spikes ran a 5...Just think about that.

Yeah but Spikes didn't need a blood transfusion and oxygen after he ran and the Richter scale didnít go off in Indy. hahaha

That is a piss pour time for a LB.

Mr. Magoo
03-17-2010, 02:29 PM
I guess it's no surprise. But still, linebackers in the NFL shouldn't be slower than me. Hurts his value as a special teamer, too. Hard to run down kicks when you're that slow.

dbeals05
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
if speed was everything, ted ginn would be the best wr in the nfl. Spikes will still be a solid player in the nfl

ROADRUNNER
03-17-2010, 02:40 PM
via twitter:

RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)
Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes wasn't able to break 5.0 barrier in the 40-yard dash, per TFY Draft Preview. Ouch.

Yikes. Worse than Micah.

what is it with you florida boys to many pies......your CB now your MLB.................:boohoo:

newlownorder
03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
if speed was everything, ted ginn would be the best wr in the nfl. Spikes will still be a solid player in the nfl

I'm not asking him to run a 4.4 but at least beat out the guys who are almost 100lbs heavier than him.

Chubby
03-17-2010, 03:33 PM
He still wont make it to the third round.
chubbs

ROADRUNNER
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM
good job hes not going to NewYork he would never make it on time.............

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
He still wont make it to the third round.
chubbs

oh really...what makes you so confident about that??? his time screams 2 down backer...

there's no real evidence on tape of how he'd do in coverage down the field...

i'd say it's pretty fair bet that he makes it into round 3 on the board...maybe even later

reports are he was sluggish again at his pro day in drills...

SamIam
03-17-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't know.. I watched lots of Gators football and he never looked slow to me at all.

I think he will be a steal in the third but still don't think he will fall that far.

52CANES
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know.. I watched lots of Gators football and he never looked slow to me at all.

I think he will be a steal in the third but still don't think he will fall that far.

Draft him in the 3rd if you want to draft channing crowder for another 3rd.

ckparrothead
03-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Yikes, talk about slow.

He becomes an interesting guy now because his availability is ensured at #43 and possibly at #74.

But he's only a two-down linebacker. There's no getting around that.

Still in a 3-4 where he gets to work inside the box much more often than not, and he can use that pass rushing ability of his, he still interests me. Takeo Spikes can't run any faster than the 4.94 his cousin just clocked on scouts' stopwatches, but the 49ers are quite pleased with him. Depends heavily on the scheme, how you use him. That kind of player isn't generally drafted high. But, with the 3-4 being so popular now, you could see some teams discard his and Micah Johnson's 40 times and value them as the bangers they need to cause some havoc on the interior of a 3-4.

Miami really believes in Channing Crowder for better or worse so I doubt Miami will be one of those teams. But, it wouldn't shock me.

scottieUK
03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah but Spikes didn't need a blood transfusion and oxygen after he ran and the Richter scale didnít go off in Indy. hahaha

That is a piss pour time for a LB.

Piss poor spelling more like!! LMFAO!!!

Sorry pal, just playing, I couldn`t resist it.

Clipse
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
No surprise really. Been saying he wouldn't clock a 5.0 for awhile. As CK said, still wouldn't mind him as a 2 down banger depending on who's available in the 3rd, but I do think our staff is pretty high on Crowder in that role.

newlownorder
03-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Yikes, talk about slow.

He becomes an interesting guy now because his availability is ensured at #43 and possibly at #74.

But he's only a two-down linebacker. There's no getting around that.

Still in a 3-4 where he gets to work inside the box much more often than not, and he can use that pass rushing ability of his, he still interests me. Takeo Spikes can't run any faster than the 4.94 his cousin just clocked on scouts' stopwatches, but the 49ers are quite pleased with him. Depends heavily on the scheme, how you use him. That kind of player isn't generally drafted high. But, with the 3-4 being so popular now, you could see some teams discard his and Micah Johnson's 40 times and value them as the bangers they need to cause some havoc on the interior of a 3-4.

Miami really believes in Channing Crowder for better or worse so I doubt Miami will be one of those teams. But, it wouldn't shock me.

Do you think if we moved Dansby outside Spikes could fit inside? I don't see it but I would have to look at the Nolan 3-4 more.

RealDriscoll
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I still like this guy. If he falls into Round 4 we should take him hands down

SamIam
03-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Draft him in the 3rd if you want to draft channing crowder for another 3rd.

How do you know he is going to be another Crowder before playing a down in the NFL? maybe you should give me the 6/49 numbers since you can predict the future.

What I am saying is there is value with spikes in the third round, he is a football player and makes plays on the football field, and did that for his entire career with the gators, THE TAPE DOES NOT LIE.

j-off-her-doll
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
While these times have certainly highlighted Spikes' limitations, we shouldn't forget what he does well. He extremely physical, and he makes big plays. I like Crowder more than a lot of people here, but I think it's inaccurate to say that he'll be Crowder at best. Unless Spikes picks up some speed, it's likely that he won't ever be as versatile as Crowder, but I see him making more big plays and rushing the QB better than Crowder - as well as stuffing the run a good deal better (if we're talking about Spikes' upside). If he falls into our laps in the 4th, barring some other crazy drop (like a Worilds, for example), he becomes a must-draft player.

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 08:49 PM
well i don't see a guy who takes on or sheds blockers all that well...now that he runs a 5.0 40 i think he's very much a liability in coverage...of course he never really covered anybody in college anyways but this time seals for me that he won't be able to be a man coverage player as a pro...

to me he's a solid blitz lb who could probably drop on occasion into a soft zone in the middle of the field and read a qbs eyes...god knows i wouldn't want him responsible for a te or back out of the backfield with those wheels...

looks like a situational player to me...a blitz package player

i'm not looking at him before round 4...

cuban_refugee
03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I wonder what his initial 10 yard split was? That's the most important time for me for a LB.

VT Dolphan
03-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Somebody will likely be getting a bargain on draft day. It's not like he suddenly became slow. He was one of the best linebackers in the country...apparently while being slow. Didn't stop him from making plays.

Prime example of why football isn't played in shorts and under armour.

RustyGator
03-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Good God. Thank you VT. People on here worry so damn much about 40 times. Who gives a flying F. He was one of the most dominating LBs in college for a few years and now he can't even crack top 4 rounds for some of you guys? Give me a freakin break. It's a 40. You can totally train it up for a 40 (i.e., look at the difference in Haden's time from combine to today).

ps - using the word gouge and Crowder during a Spikes thread is getting pretty old...but hey, if ya'll can't come up with anything better, I understand.

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
yeah that's right...he isn't on my board before round 4...

this ilb class stinks...

munchkin
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Good debate, I think he's a quality football player.
What did Zach Thomas run the 40 in? Anybody know? How about Wes Welker?
If CK is still around, would you say Spikes plays faster than he is timed?

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
what does wes welker have to do with it...he's got elite quickness and change of direction???

spikes has neither...

zach thomas had top level instincts and film study work...spikes doesn't show instincts on the zach thomas level...if anybody is close in that regard it's mcclain

TedSlimmJr
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Spikes is best when he's operating within a "phone-booth"....when he can be physical....he doesn't "shed" blocks.....he simply takes them on...as if he's the one doing the blocking and the other guy is supposed to get off of it...lol

I think he's a terrific blitzer (so does Andre Smith)....

I think he's the classic, 2-down "TED" linebacker in a 3-4 defense.....you get him out in space and he's in trouble...

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
so the question is what round in this draft does a 2 down ilb carry value wise...

i say round 4

TedSlimmJr
03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
so the question is what round in this draft does a 2 down ilb carry value wise...

i say round 4

I still have him as a 3rd rounder because I think the things that he CAN do well...he does very well.....better than most 2-down linebackers that you would typically have in the 4th/5th rounds (Jasper Brinkley, etc.)...

When you factor in that he's 6'3" and not 6'1".....I just don't think he's going slip beyond the 3rd round......not with his resume and body of work...in the premier conference....

hooshoops
03-17-2010, 11:30 PM
maybe i just have a tougher grading scale...everyone says i'm undervaluing a lot of these guys... :lol:

i'd just rather find an every down player in the first 3 rounds that can help me as much if not more with more upside...

i feel like we can do it...

newlownorder
03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
nfldraftcountdown pointed out that Spikes ran on a fast track and his time would have been even slower had he ran in Indy.

TedSlimmJr
03-17-2010, 11:59 PM
It's the 10-20 yards that count for ILB's......not 40...

As far as ILB's go.....give me the guy that's a wrap up tackler, takes proper angles, and has football instincts but takes all day to run a 40 yard dash over the guy that burn up a stopwatch....but doesn't wrap up and goes for the "big hit" which causes him to be out of position...miss tackles....and has no idea what's coming next...

hooshoops
03-18-2010, 12:01 AM
i could look over the lack of foot speed if spikes has better instincts...i don't really see an instinctual player there...and i'm a stickler that instincts for the position are required...

SRM
03-18-2010, 12:06 AM
I just don't see how you don't break a 5 when you go through all that training to get faster. Squats, sprints, lunges, plyometrics, all that for 8 years (assuming he played for all of HS as well) and you're telling me you can't break a 5.0? Damn.

hooshoops
03-18-2010, 12:10 AM
i always wonder when guys who are highly rated by most coming out of their junioryear/draft eligible stay in school...

it seems like a lot of the times it's cause the kids know they aren't gonna run well and their stocks gonna take a hit...no matter when they come out...

TedSlimmJr
03-18-2010, 12:16 AM
i always wonder when guys who are highly rated by most coming out of their junioryear/draft eligible stay in school...

it seems like a lot of the times it's cause the kids know they aren't gonna run well and their stocks gonna take a hit...no matter when they come out...

That's true....they usually stay to win a championship....which I'm sure all the crocs felt like the were going to do...

...oops..:lol:

Roll Tide..

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
It would be interesting to know what his shuttle was.

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 12:52 AM
He had a 29 inch vertical and a 9'3" broad jump at the Combine. He's just not a good athlete. His cone was 6.97 which is actually pretty decent. That's why I wonder what his shuttle was at the pro day.

HurriPhin
03-18-2010, 01:45 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/brandonspikes-1.jpg

reese13
03-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Brandon Spike is over rated and has been for some time. He had 1 good year as a soph and thats it. He is slow and cant do anything in the open field. He cant break down and tackle in space at all. Everyone talks about oh go look at what he does on the field..he had a whopping total of 52 tackles this year and thats counts partials too. So yea, lets go watch everything he did, it wont take long.

As for the comparison to Zach Thomas, there is none. Thomas was a tackling machine in college. He 390 tackles in 3 years as a starter at TT.

JCane
03-18-2010, 05:32 AM
But...but...SEC speed right, Jesse Palmer.

:lol:

LikeUntoGod
03-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Spikes did miss a number of games this year due to injuries.

But he does have 4 interceptions for TDs so he is doing something right.

reese13
03-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Spikes did miss a number of games this year due to injuries.

But he does have 4 interceptions for TDs so he is doing something right.

1 of those INTs return for TD was against college football powerhouse FIU and another was against UGA in the 4th quarter when UGA had there backup in getting the 1st reps of his career.

LikeUntoGod
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Which is still more then most players.

In the history of college football.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records_(individual) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records_%28individual%29)

Most Interceptions Returned for a Touchdown Career - 6 -DeAndre McDaniel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeAndre_McDaniel) Clemson University 2007-

5 - Ken Thomas, San Jose St., 1979-825 - Deltha O'Neal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltha_O%27Neal), California, 1996-995 - Darrent Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrent_Williams), Oklahoma St., 2001-04

reese13
03-19-2010, 12:35 AM
well at the end of the day, i dont see the point in drafting a slow MLB that doesnt make tackles. even if he did have 4 career pick 6s

TedSlimmJr
03-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Well I may have to reconsider my stance that due to Spikes impressive resume and body of work, that he won't slip into the 4th round.....I found this very interesting....

Since 2005, there have been a total of 12 ILB's available for the draft that ran 4.9 or worse in the 40 yard dash......NONE of them were drafted...

Mike Goolsby
Nigel Eldridge
Jovon Burkes
Kai Parham (once considered a 2nd round pick)
Freddie Roach (heck of a player for Bama...Roll Tide)
Trent Bray
Oliver Hoyte
Jon Abbate
Kevin McLee
Patrick Lowery
Brock Christopher
Morris Wooten

Only 5 OLB's since 2005 have run 4.9 or worse....again....NONE of them drafted...

Lionel Turner (heck of a player for LSU)
Tony Taylor
JJ Milan
Ali Highsmith (another heck of a player for LSU...who was once considered a 1st round pick by the "experts"...and even compared to Derrick Brooks by scouts)
Angelo Craig

19 ILB's since 2005 have timed worse than 4.85, but under 4.9.....only 6 of them were drafted....with Schlegel being the earliest (3rd round)...and the other 5 being 5th round or later...

Lance Mitchell
Martin Patterson
Anthony Schlegel
Jimmy Cottrell
Sam McGrew
Ricardo Hurley
Marvin Mitchell
Justin Warren
Vince Hall (great player for Virginia Tech...once considered a 1st round pick)
Spencer Larsen
Joe Mays
Thomas Williams
Rodrick Johnson
Rod Keith
Steve Allen
Joe Brockington
Mortty Ivy
Maurice Crum, Jr.
Adam Leonard

Of the 6 guys that were drafted...only 3 of them are still in the NFL (Williams, Mays, Larsen)......and have combined for 48 tackles...

One is listed as a FB....one is barely hanging onto the Patriots roster....and the other only got a chance to play because of injury....

Basically, the chances Spikes gets drafted are slim based on recent trends......and the chances that he has any level of NFL success are even slimmer....

TedSlimmJr
03-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Ironically, you can also add 2 more Gator linebacker's to that list who were hyped prospects and their stocks took a huge hit due to being woefully slow....

Earl Everett (undrafted)

Brandon Siler (7th round)

HurriPhin
03-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Damn TedSlimmJr, those are some very suprising (startling even) stats. Thanks for the time.

hooshoops
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
yep i remember ali highsmith...he wasn't as good on tape as brandon spikes imo as far an an effective blitz player but he also was woefully slow...

even the 4th round may be too high for spikes and micah johnson...

they're just way too damn slow

TedSlimmJr
03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
yep i remember ali highsmith...he wasn't as good on tape as brandon spikes imo as far an an effective blitz player but he also was woefully slow...

even the 4th round may be too high for spikes and micah johnson...

they're just way too damn slow

That's why you can't pay attention to half of these scouting reports you read.....I can show you scouting reports on Ali Highsmith where SCOUTS used the exact words "has blazing speed" in his scouting report....

I remember watching Peyton Hillis (FB for Arkansas) roast Highsmith for 2 TD receptions in one game because Highsmith couldn't stay with him....he couldn't cover him.....and Hillis ran 4.55...

utahphinsfan
03-21-2010, 04:05 PM
You mean Spikes might fall like.......... Channing Crowder?

Most mocks, as I recall, leading up to the 2005 draft had him going in the 1st rd to the Rams.

Kdawg954
03-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I think he may tumble right to us in the 6th round, where we will take a shot at him with one of our 3 picks in that round.

When u cannot break 5 seconds at your Pro Day, that is something that just isn't acceptable if you want to be a high draft pick.

Now he may be the one that breaks the trend and has a successful NFL career . . . but with those kind of eye popping stats that TedSlimm just gave us, it wouldn't floor me if he went undrafted.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
yeah i've got both spikes and another slow lb micah johnson as 6th round possibilities...

i don't take either in the first 4 rounds...if they go before the 6th elsewhere more power to them...