PDA

View Full Version : Experts' Latest On Who Miami's First Pick Will Be

Aqua and Orange
03-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Didn't see this posted, but bleacherreport.com compiled 12 experts' picks for who the Dolphins will pick in the 2010 NFL Draft:

John Lorge - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Mel Kiper - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Todd McShay - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Daniel Jeremiah - Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan

Ourlads - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Walter Football - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

Pat Kirwan (NFL) - Earl Thomas, S, Texas

Peter Schrage (Fox) - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Rob Rang (CBS) - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Chad Reuter (CBS) - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

Pete Prisco (CBS) - Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan

Clark Judge (CBS) - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/360779-2010-nfl-mock-draft-12-experts-battle-including-kiper-mcshay#page/13

Looks like Dan Williams currently is the consensus choice with 6 of 12 experts picking him. Only Pat Kirwan had the Dolphins going in another direction that DT or LB.

fgrocker
03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I'd be OK with Williams, Graham, Thomas, and even McClain. It's the other two that scare me.

Mr. Magoo
03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
It absolutely won't be Williams. No way. No how.

ROADRUNNER
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
you know who i want.............please..............ah go on. Earl Thomas

52CANES
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I like how everyone puts williams. They don't even know if the dolphins like williams...

Chubby
03-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Whats scary is whatever their 3 first picks on, they really have to hit and hit hard with them. We have huge wholes to fill.
chubbs

X-Pacolypse
03-17-2010, 03:47 PM
It absolutely won't be Williams. No way. No how.

Also, it absolutely won't be JPP. No way. No how.

Aqua and Orange
03-17-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm conflicted on whether the Dolphins...

A) Targeted safety this free agency because they wanted to go another direction early in the draft

or

B) Saw it as a pressing need so much that they put forth more effort to try to shore it up before the draft.

or

C) Liked the players available at that position in free agency (I wonder about this one with their interactions with Ryan Clark)

or

D) All of the above.

I think the answer to that question is the key to projecting who the Dolphin pick #12 overall.

WelcomeBack
03-17-2010, 04:17 PM
There's a few players that the Dolphins can take in the first that I'd absolutely love to have.

Dez Bryant, Derrick Morgan, Everson Griffen, Brandon Graham and Earl Thomas are my top choices.

I didn't say Berry cause I don't think he'll fall. Dez Bryant is money. This guy is an absolute weapon. You can call him lazy, blah blah blah, red flags...I don't see it. I see a guy on the field who is explosive. Great in the open field, can grab the ball at the highest point and has all the looks of an NFL player. Body, skill wise, he's superb.

Morgan, Griffen and Graham are all solid players that I look at as OLB converts. Everyone says Morgan was invisible in the game against Iowa. Kind of hard to get stats when the run game goes away from you almost EVERY single time. I saw a player with explosion off the snap that had a good array of pass rush moves and was STILL there in the 4th quarter. Griffen has experience standing up already and has learned from his past when he took plays off. He got benched because of it. He has some immaturity questions, but he's been working hard to prove himself worthy. Graham, we've all seen what he can do and this off-season he's only solidified those opinions.

Earl Thomas is a young, smart leader. Very instinctive and could improve in the run game. I love this kid.

I don't see Dan Williams as the pick simply because what this front office is like. They don't seem to take the NT early and that could be the case here.

Charlie Brown
03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Dan Williams is such a ugly pick for the 12th overall.

Danny
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
No way we go NT at 12.....Parcells got Ferguson in the 7th round.....if we draft a NT at all it'll be in round 4 or after imo........at 12 we'll go WR(if Bryant is there)OLB or Safety.

Ozzy rules!!

52CANES
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
honestly, Dan Williams is the #1 person I would HATE for us to take at #12 out of ALLLLLLL of the players people project us to take. I'd be less upset about drafting Cody at #12...he's more likely to be worth it IMO as long as he keeps his weight down.

ColonelJ
03-17-2010, 11:00 PM
It's interesting there are no votes for Everson Griffen, who has better instincts, can set the edge, and can bull rush or speed rush from OLB spot.

Pinkboy
03-18-2010, 03:57 AM
It's interesting there are no votes for Everson Griffen, who has better instincts, can set the edge, and can bull rush or speed rush from OLB spot.

The problem with Griffen is he plays extremely high on the pass rush.

NFL OT's will eat him alive because it doesn't take much preparation if they know a pass rusher can't sink his hips to get really low..

Every single one of the top dozen pass rushers in the NFL can really drop their hips while they go in full speed to the QB through their burst... It doesn't matter if you're talking about James Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Dumerville, DeMarcus Ware, LaMarr Woodley, Cam Wake, and more.. All the of them are excellent at sinking their hips low throttling on the rush.

makes them a lot harder to block when they can do that. And I have yet to see Griffen play like that, even though he is very talented in other areas.

Guys like Calvin Pace can't sink their hips, plays high on the rush, and will never be consistent in getting to the QB.. That's why the Jets are really looking for a pass-rushing OLB as well.

Jason Taylor lost the ability to drop his hips on the rush a 3 years ago and that's why he's just a hand fighter now. Jason Taylor had an incredible talent to sink his hips , along with his quickness and speed at his 6 foot 6 height - that made him rare.. But he lost that ability with age.

Other players in this draft are a hell of a lot better than Everson Griffen is at dropping their hips while exploding on their pass rush.

ColonelJ
03-18-2010, 04:08 AM
I am not so sure about that. Look above at WelcomeBack's sig. When Griffen engages the tackle his hips are lower than the OT's, he's leaning forward. If he continues around the edge he can get hooked and continue the rush. He just choses the spin moves even though his body is low. That's why that spin was effective, because Griffen's hips were low and tackle bit on the edge rush fake. IMO.

Pinkboy
03-18-2010, 04:28 AM
I am not so sure about that. Look above at WelcomeBack's sig. When Griffen engages the tackle his hips are lower than the OT's, he's leaning forward. If he continues around the edge he can get hooked and continue the rush. He just choses the spin moves even though his body is low. That's why that spin was effective, because Griffen's hips were low and tackle bit on the edge rush fake. IMO.

Sorry, but that's a bad example.. Because Griffen had to slow down/stop and collect himself to dip his hips a bit, before spinning.. That is not remotely close to the same as what others in this draft can do by sustaining their hips low while going full speed on their arc to the QB... Covering a lot of space in a very short period of time while low.

All the top 12 pass rushers can do it. DeMarcus Ware, Harrison, Woodley, Freeney and all those guys get incredibly low while they go full speed forward and around an OT. While having a great "lean" and maintaining balance (keeping balance even when an OT shoves an outside hand at them). Cam Wake is extremely talented at it.

You can go through history and see all the top pass rushers had that great ability.. It doesn't matter if you're talking about Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, or Jason Taylor over the past decade, before he lost that ability 2 to 3 years ago with age. And you will also notice over the years, that a lot of the highly touted pass rushers coming out of college, who busted in the NFL - did not have that ability to go low at full speed with all the other things like maintaining balance and leverage while low. They played too high, making it a lot easier for OT's to block.

Offensive Tackles fear pass rushers who can drop their hips while going full speed. They're tall, and have a lot of problems getting their hands on those guys.

Moreover, when you have that ability to sink your hips while going full throttle to the QB, it allows you to counter better.. when OT's study Griffen and realize he can't drop his hips on the arc, it will make it a lot easier for them to stop that spin move of his.. Because he is limited in his pass rushing ability if he can't sink his hips while going forward at top speed. Griffen will merely be a hand fighter when NFL OT's get a good study on him.

I like Griffen as a prospect.. and like his potential in other areas of his game. But the fact he hasn't shown that he can really sink his hips on the rush in college, is a big red flag to me... if you're looking at him to be a pass rushing OLB for your team.

Mulverizer19
03-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I really have a strong feeling it will be Kindle and I'm fine with that.

thejetssuck
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I really have a strong feeling it will be Kindle and I'm fine with that.

I'll barf all over myself if we pick Kindle. There will be much better players available at 12 than Kindle.

52CANES
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I'll barf all over myself if we pick Kindle. There will be much better players available at 12 than Kindle.

There will maybe even be much better players available at 43 than Kindle.

Dmarino110
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
do not want Jason Pierre-Paul...do not need a bull on the team...

ColonelJ
03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
GreyBoy, I agree. I am just saying that I am not sure that Griffen cannot lower his hips and be effective edge rusher. But I agree he's not as developed as Morgan or Graham or even Kindle.

JBinSD
03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
The problem with Griffen is he plays extremely high on the pass rush.

NFL OT's will eat him alive because it doesn't take much preparation if they know a pass rusher can't sink his hips to get really low..

Every single one of the top dozen pass rushers in the NFL can really drop their hips while they go in full speed to the QB through their burst... It doesn't matter if you're talking about James Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Dumerville, DeMarcus Ware, LaMarr Woodley, Cam Wake, and more.. All the of them are excellent at sinking their hips low throttling on the rush.

makes them a lot harder to block when they can do that. And I have yet to see Griffen play like that, even though he is very talented in other areas.

Guys like Calvin Pace can't sink their hips, plays high on the rush, and will never be consistent in getting to the QB.. That's why the Jets are really looking for a pass-rushing OLB as well.

Jason Taylor lost the ability to drop his hips on the rush a 3 years ago and that's why he's just a hand fighter now. Jason Taylor had an incredible talent to sink his hips , along with his quickness and speed at his 6 foot 6 height - that made him rare.. But he lost that ability with age.

Other players in this draft are a hell of a lot better than Everson Griffen is at dropping their hips while exploding on their pass rush.

What a great post. I'm not up to speed on Griffen, but I truly believe the ability to get low is what can make an average pass rusher great.

Sometimes teams turn the other cheek and rely on measurables and speed, see Vernon Gholston. I don't see us as a team that would take a chance on Griffen, nor would they on Pierre-Paul, as he has Gholstonesque potential written all over him.

Other than his height, I think that Brandon Graham has most of the attributes that Parcells Inc. would look for, if we go OLB. Is #12 a reach? Long-time starter, consistent producer, mix of pass rush moves already. Grey, any thoughts on his ability to sink like Wake?

All of that being said, I am 99.7% sure that we don't take Williams.

When it is all said and done -- I still think there is a good shot we land Bryant, if he impresses in his workout and interviews. If not, Graham, Berry, Thomas in that order.

Pinkboy
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
What a great post. I'm not up to speed on Griffen, but I truly believe the ability to get low is what can make an average pass rusher great.

yes, thanks..

As I said, look at history and look at all the top pass rushers. Playing low while going full speed and maintaining great balance is a common denominator with all of them.

Better yet, look at all the top 10 pass rushers today.. Look at the top 10 pass rushers who have the best percentage of QB pressures per play.... every single one of them have that uncanny ability to really get low on their rush.

Mere stand up hand-fighters who can't consistently get low never make great pass rushers. It's really a simple and easy concept when you truly think about it. It's definitely not rocket science.

"Low Man Wins" has been a football adage for decades... and for good reason... because it's the simple truth.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Please no to Williams.... I say people we should draft ranked IMO

Berry
Bryant
Graham/Thomas