PDA

View Full Version : WR Benn runs an "official" 4.36 at pro day

jim1
03-18-2010, 10:40 AM
In the case of Illinois receiver Arrelious Benn, we've confirmed that the "official" time registered by the school was 4.36. Per a league source, one team had Benn at 4.43 seconds, twice, in the 40-yard dash.

That said, some scouts had Benn at 4.38 seconds, only 0.02 above the official time.

There's also a potential issue at the Pro Day workouts regarding the surface on which the running is done. If the surface is regarded as faster than the FieldTurf at the RCA Dome, teams will add time to the result. In Benn's case, the run occurred at an indoor practice facility, on FieldTurf. Thus, no adjustment will be made.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Morey161
03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Have always liked this kid. Hope he is around in the 2nd round but I don't see that happening. A dream scenario would be having Benn and BeBe around in the 2nd round to pick the guy we would most rather have. I know im dreaming.

jim1
03-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Have always liked this kid. Hope he is around in the 2nd round but I don't see that happening. A dream scenario would be having Benn and BeBe around in the 2nd round to pick the guy we would most rather have. I know im dreaming.

I really can't see Benn being there for us in the 2nd round. I wonder how high he'll climb now based on the 4.36.

Chubby
03-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I thought it is not official unless electronically timed by the NFL? Isn't the proday done via stopwatch by coaches and scouts?

Either way good news, hopefully Benn jumps back in front Thomas so he actually has a chance to drop to us :)
chubbs

newlownorder
03-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I've always pegged him as a late 1st rounder. I still stand by that.

Elliott 1
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Just another unreliable fantastic athlete. The NFL is full of them. Why draft these college guys who have had trouble with drop?

If they want to take a chance on someone' let them draft Joe Webb in the 6th. Or Emmanuel Sanders, or Scott Long.

IMO if a potential WR doesn't have really great hands, you are inviting disappointment by drafting them. Look at the Raiders WR corps; fantastic athletes, but they can't catch the ball under duress.

jlfin
03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I really can't see Benn being there for us in the 2nd round. I wonder how high he'll climb now based on the 4.36.

The Raiders will pick him in the top 10. Al Davis is STILL looking for the next Cliff Branch :lol2:

52CANES
03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I thought it is not official unless electronically timed by the NFL? Isn't the proday done via stopwatch by coaches and scouts?

Either way good news, hopefully Benn jumps back in front Thomas so he actually has a chance to drop to us :)
chubbs

Even the electronic ones are not considered OFFICIAL, only "official" lol. And they aren't actually done by the NFL its some company they hire.

Kinda like when someone makes a post titled: Official Benn discussion... and people can or cannot go by that to make their decision where to post :)

Lots of coaches and scouts only go by their own clock and dont care what the electronic one said... Obviously that system sucks because we saw how bad they handled the Mays times as just one example.

Nawledge
03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I think Benns gonna be a good receiver in the NFL

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
He's a guy I could get with at #43, certainly.

DefensiveEnd76
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
The games I watched Benn play, he looked like a faster version of a young Anquan Boldin. Benn plays a physical brand of ball at the WR position and has good hands

#1dolphinsfan
03-18-2010, 03:32 PM
if we dont get Dez at 12 i would love to get Benn at 43

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think Benn has the body control or cutting ability of an Anquan Boldin.

munchkin
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
CK, who do you have rated higher, Benn or D.Thomas?

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Thats good that means he may go before Thomas which drops him back to us...

CedarPhin
03-18-2010, 05:04 PM
He's the guy I want in the 2nd round.

2413fanphins
03-18-2010, 05:11 PM
He's a guy I could get with at #43, certainly.

will he be there at 43? I'd pass out if he was, I live in the midwest and two years ago he looked incredible. admittedly, I didn't see much of him this year as I don't even remember iowa playing Illinois.

would absolutely love to have henne throwing to this guy. would be a big ten wet dream for me if I got to watch, henne to hartlin/henne to been all game long!!!

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 05:12 PM
CK, who do you have rated higher, Benn or D.Thomas?

Demaryius Thomas. But, Benn isn't trailing by much on that one. I have BeyBey, Golden Tate and Regus Benn all clustered around one another in that second tier behind Dez Bryant.

ColonelJ
03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
We should get Bay Bay. Then pick up Benn or LaFell in the second. Then get Joe McKnight or Ben Tate in the third. And then maybe a TE like Jimmy Graham if he should fall in the fourth. Complete the offense. Then pick defense with the remaining 5 picks. Honestly, I like the 6th rounder Mike McLaughlin out of BC more than McClain for ILB. I like Boomakat, Marcellus Bowman for safety, and Roderick Rollins for safety spot out of BC more than many higly rated safeties. There is a ton of value with good scouting on defense at the bottom of the draft.

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Boy, I don't think it's possible for me to disagree with so many things in such a short post. No offense, it's just we all see things differently I guess. Even the parts I agree with, like being positive on Mike McLaughlin, are subject to caveat because you said he's better than Rolando McClain.

Roman529
03-18-2010, 05:39 PM
I think this is good news...there is a better chance Demaryius Thomas will be there for us in Round 2, and I think Thomas is just a little better then Benn.

ckparrothead
03-18-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd be happy with any of the three at #43 overall, Regus, BeyBey or Golden. Honestly, what a selection of names!

ColonelJ
03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
We need a mike for Crowder's spot. McLaughlin is perfect, smart, athletic, ferocious. Check out BC's defense this year in points allowed, and check out their DLine against Bama's. McClain is not even close. He's a guy that stands in the middle of the field, and when the DLine opens the lane he gets garbage coverage sacks. His agility in space is inadequate for NFL.

DefensiveEnd76
03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't think Benn has the body control or cutting ability of an Anquan Boldin.

I don't know about that. I have seen Benn make some acrobatic catches and tip toe the sidelines showing body control. He looks like he has outstanding ability in that area for sure.

skipp2myloo13
03-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Im all for him if he keeps us away from signing mediocre crap at WR (Lafell)

Clipse
03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Always been a huge fan of Benn. I've always had him as a 1st rounder but would be ecstatic if we landed him in the 2nd.

Danny
03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
is all a moot point...this is the year Parcells trows everyone a curve ball and picks Bryant at 12.

Ozzy rules!!

Kdawg954
03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
is all a moot point...this is the year Parcells trows everyone a curve ball and picks Bryant at 12.

Ozzy rules!!

If he is there, I could see it happening.

dtjp17
03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
lets trade down with houston please an acquire another 2nd i think this guy is gonne be better than dez my dream draft is dan williams benn and jerry hughes then jimmy graham in the 3rd and we just drafted 4 starters or grab nate allen in the 2nd also or grab graham benn allen

jim1
03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
will he be there at 43? I'd pass out if he was, I live in the midwest and two years ago he looked incredible. admittedly, I didn't see much of him this year as I don't even remember iowa playing Illinois.

would absolutely love to have henne throwing to this guy. would be a big ten wet dream for me if I got to watch, henne to hartlin/henne to been all game long!!!

I have a suspiscion that he'll go higher than most think. If the draft were last year and Benn came out, I don't think that anyone would blink if he were a top 15-20 pick. Dude is big, strong, quick and runs a sub 4.4. it's the same old story, but I wonder how much money Ron Zook and Juice Williams cost this guy. I just don't see him lasting until #43, and I don't think that top 20-25 is out of the question for him.

hooshoops
03-20-2010, 11:15 AM
i don't think top 25 is out of the question for benn either...