PDA

View Full Version : Why has Miami not scheduled private workouts with any Wide Recievers, yet?

FinAtic8480
03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
As sit here today something has caught my attention. I have posted various names that have met or are scheduled to meet with the Fins for private workouts. Reshad Jones, Earl Thomas, Jeff Owens, Armanti Edwards, Nolan Carroll & Jeff Linkenbach. While Im sure we will hear about alot more visits, there is a position missing in those visits, Wide Reciever.

Wide Reciever is a position the fins must draft. Like Ireland said about ILB before free agency, we know we need one, you gus know we need one & the whole world knows the Dolphins need help at ILB. My 2 cent are the Fins are lucked in on a certain WR and have already made up their mind on who they will be drafting at 12 if that certain someone is their.

greasyObnoxious
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
isn't Armanti Edwards a QB/WR prospect?

FinAtic8480
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Armanti Edwards is probably one of those you sign as UDFA. The Fins have yet to invite a true WR for a private workout. The Fins need a number 1 WR, the whole world knows it. So, I find it weird no workouts are being conducted or mentions of any. Arrelious Been & Mardy Gilyard have workouts right now, but according to univeraldraft.com those workouts are not with the fins.

52CANES
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM

He's more of a WR/KR prospect that might be able to run the wildcat.

He's like if Bess used to play QB in college.... and we can probably get him as UDFA or 7th round.

52CANES
03-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Armanti Edwards is probably one of those you sign as UDFA. The Fins have yet to invite a true WR for a private workout. The Fins need a number 1 WR, the whole world knows it. So, I find it weird no workouts are being conducted or mentions of any. Arrelious Been & Mardy Gilyard have workouts right now, but according to univeraldraft.com those workouts are not with the fins.

I'm starting to think Miami might want Dez Bryant too. Its like the only player they never talk about, invite, etc lol.

Or...maybe they just hate him.... no way to know until they make the announcement that Miami Is On The Clock.

NYinBostonFin
03-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Hopefully, they know Dez is worth the pick at #12 without the private workout...lol

52CANES
03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Another option.... maybe they DON'T think they will take Dez Bryant at #12, and they don't feel like anyone else offers much of an upgrade over what they already have.

Nawledge
03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
its hard to know what the FO is thinking at this point and Parcells loves that

hemidemon
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
The players being invited for private workouts, imo, are the one's they have questions about. They have a limited number of invites. If you're sure you're going to draft or not draft a player, why waste the workout? I don't think it's an indication of which way they are going to go at all.

rrrrphin
03-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Because this is going to be Ted Ginn's breakout year.....again.

Avigatorx
03-18-2010, 01:57 PM
A couple of reasons come to mind.

1) As said earlier, we don't want other teams to know who we are targeting. Last year we had the Giants trade ahead of us to grab Barden, who I think we really wanted instead of Turner.

1a) They may believe that the risks of holding private workouts (tipping your hand to other teams), outweigh the benefits of watching the player one last time (given we have all their game films, combine info, and pro-day info already)

2) Maybe they just want to be the last team these guys talk to in order to make a lasting impression prior to the draft.

3) Maybe we arent drafting a WR.

ROADRUNNER
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
A couple of reasons come to mind.

1) As said earlier, we don't want other teams to know who we are targeting. Last year we had the Giants trade ahead of us to grab Barden, who I think we really wanted instead of Turner.

1a) They may believe that the risks of holding private workouts (tipping your hand to other teams), outweigh the benefits of watching the player one last time (given we have all their game films, combine info, and pro-day info already)

2) Maybe they just want to be the last team these guys talk to in order to make a lasting impression prior to the draft.

3) Maybe we arent drafting a WR.

I hope its #3..............:chuckle:

reese13
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
We dont need one..we have brandon london

TrinidadDolfan
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
smokescreen....

FinAtic8480
03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
smokescreen....

Remember when we drafted Jake Long, nobody knew we had interviewed him. Had only one scout at his proday and absolutely no visits. Miami cannot let teams know they want Bryant.

OrlandoFin
03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Because despite what many fans feel is a must have is really just a want at this point. Miami is not a Super Bowl contender in 2010 and you can't fix everything right away. When the Trifecta came to this team the cupboard was bare, now its a very solid and deep team in many positions. A true #1 WR is something that should put the team over the top. I mean Andre Johnson might be the best WR in the NFL and yet where is Houston?

I do think Miami will draft a developmental receiver but I would be shocked if they took one before round 4. I think they must address in no particular order FS, DT and OLB before they even consider offense.

I think guys to watch and see if Miami takes late are Marcus Easley out of UCON and Joe Webb out of UAB. Webb is a QB trying to become a WR and Easley is just raw, but flashes very good. They are both big around 6'3" and 215-220. Easley ran a 4.39 and Webb a 4.46. These guys are big fast and physical. Webb was in the Senior Bowl as well being coached by the Dolphins staff.

ColonelJ
03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Because despite what many fans feel is a must have is really just a want at this point. Miami is not a Super Bowl contender in 2010f.

I refuse to believe that, and if the FO believes that they should get out of business.

OrlandoFin
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I refuse to believe that, and if the FO believes that they should get out of business.

OK

finfan54
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Because despite what many fans feel is a must have is really just a want at this point. Miami is not a Super Bowl contender in 2010 and you can't fix everything right away. When the Trifecta came to this team the cupboard was bare, now its a very solid and deep team in many positions. A true #1 WR is something that should put the team over the top. I mean Andre Johnson might be the best WR in the NFL and yet where is Houston?

I do think Miami will draft a developmental receiver but I would be shocked if they took one before round 4. I think they must address in no particular order FS, DT and OLB before they even consider offense.

I think guys to watch and see if Miami takes late are Marcus Easley out of UCON and Joe Webb out of UAB. Webb is a QB trying to become a WR and Easley is just raw, but flashes very good. They are both big around 6'3" and 215-220. Easley ran a 4.39 and Webb a 4.46. These guys are big fast and physical. Webb was in the Senior Bowl as well being coached by the Dolphins staff.

Couple things in what you say:

1- A great WR does not put a team over the top you are correct sir but the assumption by many many people including experts is that you need a true #1 WR. I still to this day do not know what that means. To many it means a big name coming out of college who is tall fast and looks all the part in college. In the pros, something happens. Most WR's take 2-3 years to prove themselves and the ones who do it early like Marshall become arrogant snots who hold out and cause trouble.

2-We need OLB by far and another NT and yes S

3-I like Easley on potential but there are other WR's who might have a better attitude and be smaller and produce more. I like Blair White(he is not small). Attitude is everything aside from having all the speed/agility/catchability ect. Wes Welker was undrafted but IMO, he is unstoppable in most games. He misdirects and fly's and runs after catch. That takes work ethic and understanding your craft. Those are the guys we should look for. No DIVA's for me.

dolphinsbshaw72
03-18-2010, 06:45 PM
dez would be great.. we need a true 1 wr.. but i would be happy if we took thomas,bryant,kindle,morgan.. and if the cards feel our way i would do a back flips if we had a shot at berry.. would even trade up a few spots to get him(he could be special).. but we are in a very good spot to land someone who could really help our team.. cant wait for the draft.. go fins