PDA

View Full Version : Drafting a CB to play at FS

fgrocker
03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
If Eric Berry is gone by pick #12 and we draft a better player available over Earl Thomas, would the Dolphins consider drafting a CB in rounds 3-4 that is projected more as a safety rather than reach in the 2nd on Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett?

It worked out very well last year for Buffalo with Jairus Byrd. The main concern about our secondary is that it lacks a ballhawk who can make plays, much like Byrd did last year for the Bills. If we draft a guy who played CB in college but had poor speed at the combine, we should be able to get good value on a player who has shown significant cover skills at the college level.

Here's a few guys who fit this profile and may be available in the middle of the draft:

Donovan Warren (Mich)
Perrish Cox (Okla St)
Amari Spievey (Iowa)

I would have included Syd'Quan Thompson (Cal) and Javier Arenas (Ala), but they are too small. Trevard Lindley (UK) could also be considered if he bulked up.

What do you guys think?

hooshoops
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
i like spivey a lot...but at cb...

maybe we have our eyes on the cb from indiana pa later as a cb/safety combo player or maybe a chris cook a bit earlier

OrlandoFin
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Don't leave out Chris Cook out of Virginia. He is Sean Smiths size, but much more physical. He played both FS and CB in college and many think he will be a better FS than corner. The rumors during Senior Bowl week was the Dolphins coaches liked him a lot.

ckparrothead
03-19-2010, 02:12 PM
If we're talking about moving a guy from CB to FS then I think you have to talk about Kyle Wilson. He's very, very used to playing a position way up over top, 10-12 yards away from the line of scrimmage, and he's very fast and he likes to hit.

ColonelJ
03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
For sure. We have that guy. Vontae Davis. Our FO just does not think like that.

fgrocker
03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
If we're talking about moving a guy from CB to FS then I think you have to talk about Kyle Wilson. He's very, very used to playing a position way up over top, 10-12 yards away from the line of scrimmage, and he's very fast and he likes to hit.

Yeah, I think Wilson would make an excellent FS, but I'd prefer to get a value pick if we moved someone away from their primary position. Do you think there's any chance he'd be there in round 3?

Phin-Phan 66
03-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Didn't Sean Smith play safety in college (at least part time).

WelcomeBack
03-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Chris Cook is a very good option.

WelcomeBack
03-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Didn't Sean Smith play safety in college (at least part time).

Sean Smith had some trouble with tackling last year. Wouldn't do well at safety. I think having Smith and Davis at corner is ideal. Wouldn't want either one of them to move. If there's no Eric Berry at #12 and you don't take Earl Thomas...I'm inclined to look at Chris Cook, Morgan Burnett and Terrell Skinner.

772Fin
03-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I really like Akwasi Owusu-Ansah as a CB who could move to FS. He's got great speed, long arms, great ball skills, he's strong, athletic, a pretty good tackler, and he's got some potential as a kick returner who'll run right through tackles on returns, before putting on the speed and taking it to the house. He probably needs a year or two to get used to the talent level coming from DII, but he's got tremendous upside, definitely worth a look in the third.

fgrocker
03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I really like Akwasi Owusu-Ansah as a CB who could move to FS. He's got great speed, long arms, great ball skills, he's strong, athletic, a pretty good tackler, and he's got some potential as a kick returner who'll run right through tackles on returns, before putting on the speed and taking it to the house. He probably needs a year or two to get used to the talent level coming from DII, but he's got tremendous upside, definitely worth a look in the third.

Yeah, but he's flying up the board. I'm looking more for players who we can get in the mid-later rounds for great value who would fit our need for a ballhawk at FS. If we drafted a guy like Wilson or Owusu-Ansah in the 2nd to fill the position, why not just take someone like Nate Allen or Burnett, who has experience at the position?

CK, are there any players who you think we could get in the 6th round who might fill this role perfectly?

j-off-her-doll
03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
You're citing a guy (Byrd) who was drafted in the 2nd as your example, and you're hoping to get a perfect convert prospect in the 6th?

foozool13
03-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I would love to have Cook or Wilson at FS, but both will require a second round pick.

ckparrothead
03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah, but he's flying up the board. I'm looking more for players who we can get in the mid-later rounds for great value who would fit our need for a ballhawk at FS. If we drafted a guy like Wilson or Owusu-Ansah in the 2nd to fill the position, why not just take someone like Nate Allen or Burnett, who has experience at the position?

CK, are there any players who you think we could get in the 6th round who might fill this role perfectly?

A guy who is currently a CB but who might move to FS?

Hmm. I don't know why but I hadn't really thought about it much.

The first guy that comes to mind is actually Patrick Stoudamire Jr from Western Illinois. He's a guy that I keyed on as a sleeper CB prospect in our Sun Sentinel piece this week.

He's got tremendous athletic ability, and he is a physical player. His height is only average at about 5'10" but his build is really solid at 207 lbs. He is one heck of an athlete. He recently ran a 4.45 in the 40, with incredible 6.67 cone and 3.96 shuttle times.

I bring him up as a possible move because for one thing he's not considered a homerun pick as a cornerback, but he does have a solid frame and tremendous athletic ability. For another, at the Shrine Game I noticed that for a series they actually bumped him from CB to safety. It was interesting, reminded me of what the Dolphins did with Nate Jones one time in preseason.

DKphin
03-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I was thinking that, if he fell because of his 40 times at the combine, Joe Haden could shift to FS. The guy is built like a truck, he is a sure tackler and has a nose for the ball. I know it is unlikely that he will fall that far, but you can dream.:D

dr.jake
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
i love watching perrish cox play but he's more about speed than strength. i really think he's better suited at cb. and he's a bit of a headcase to boot. but i wouldn't cry to see him in miami. ted ginger might tho!

Elliott 1
03-20-2010, 08:53 AM
As far as Akwasi Owusu-Ansah goes, he already is more of a FS than CB. He has been very clear on the role he played the defense they ran. More FS than CB duties.

Myron Lewis has FS listed as his second position. I think he would be a prime candidate to play FS.

The Dolphins may be thinking the same thing; they are having him in for a visit in April.

Lewis is smart,6'2" over 200 lbs. with long arms, and he just dazzled scouts at his pro day.

Elliott 1
03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
As far as Akwasi Owusu-Ansah goes, he already is more of a FS than CB. He has been very clear on the role he played the defense they ran. More FS than CB duties.

Myron Lewis has FS listed as his second position. I think he would be a prime candidate to play FS.

The Dolphins may be thinking the same thing; they are having him in for a visit in April.

Lewis is smart,6'2" over 200 lbs. with long arms, and he just dazzled scouts at his pro day.

fgrocker
03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
How about Jerome Murphy (USF)? He has good coverage skills and had 14 tackles in one game last year.