PDA

View Full Version : A Take on Brandon Graham (cant play OLB,WalterFootball)

52CANES
03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Before the combine, we were discussing OLB rankings and I posted Walterfootball's rankings of 3-4 rush OLB's. Well no where on that list was brandon graham, not at #1 and not at #20.

I emailed Walter from walter football to see if this was a mistake or deliberate and this is what he had to say:

"Brandon Graham's exclusion was done on purpose. I don't see Graham playing well in coverage. In fact, he would be a huge liability. Despite his small height, I think he's a 4-3 end."

I'm sure a lot here would disagree? Are the 3-4 teams talking about him in a positive way at OLB or is it just the fans on this site?

j-off-her-doll
03-19-2010, 07:00 PM
I haven't been impressed with Walter Football.

52CANES
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I usually like the site and their takes but can't agree on this one.

dr.jake
03-19-2010, 07:19 PM
it's a fact he's a good de. not the best in the nation or his conference but a fact. the linebacker conversion is all speculation. nobody knows cuz nobody's seen it.

j-off-her-doll
03-19-2010, 07:30 PM
it's a fact he's a good de. not the best in the nation or his conference but a fact. the linebacker conversion is all speculation. nobody knows cuz nobody's seen it.

Perhaps I'm drawing a blank, but what Big 10 DE was better than Graham last season?

52CANES
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Perhaps I'm drawing a blank, but what Big 10 DE was better than Graham last season?

Maybe he thinks Wootten is better.

*edit: or Ryan Kerrigan maybe.

Lord Of Miami
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM

He use to be a LB, and has said many times he'd like to be one again and that he feels at home being a OLB.

But must guys have never been a 3-4 OLB coming out so your right, but you could say that about just about everyone.

dr.jake
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM

navarro bowman....oh wait he's actually a LINEBACKER...different position altogether.B10DPY jared odrick? no he's a DT. probably couldn't make the transition to DE. ok yes you're right graham was a damn good DE.

hooshoops
03-19-2010, 09:50 PM
who cares what walter football thinks???

mmikel30
03-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I re-watched a bunch of Jerry Hughes highlights that guy is the best pure pass rusher in this draft...he really get to the qb in a hurry

XxfeensterxX
03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
This is laughable, he is a perfect SOLB prospect. How can they not think Lamarr Woodley potential when they see Brandon Graham?

Xeticus
03-20-2010, 01:53 AM
I actually talked to Walter briefly on facebook a few days ago. He seems to think that Brandon Graham is too small for Parcells to pick in the 1st round but that Jason Pierre-Paul despite being a boom or bust player offered too much talent for Parcells to pass up. I like the site but I disagree with him here.

#1dolphinsfan
03-20-2010, 02:16 AM
I think he would be a better fit for the 4-3 Defense but i dont think he would have a big problem in our defense i would rather take Everson Griffen over him though

Clipse
03-20-2010, 04:09 AM
I haven't been impressed with Walter Football.
I agree. I like Walter Football but haven't liked what I've been seeing from them lately.

Elliott 1
03-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Walter is great, and may be right about Graham, but I really can't see the Dolphins taking a

guy like Pierre Paul. Raw with no body of work. Not with the 12th pick in the draft.

If we want to pick fantastic athletes we can draft Joe Webb and Jameson Konz in the later rounds.

Is Brandon Graham overrated on this forum as a OLB prospect? Ya, but he has just as much a shot at being a complete player as a lot of other tweeners.

ckparrothead
03-20-2010, 01:06 PM
I respect Walter's opinion, but I do disagree with it.

Finding instances of Brandon Graham in coverage is like finding a needle in a haystack. You have to sift through a lot of tape to find those gems. The thing is, when you find them, you see a player that moves like a linebacker and covers really well. The one that immediately comes to mind for me is a play where he covered the talented Michigan State Tight End Gantt up the seam for about 15 yards. This guy is ranked by NFL Draft Scout something like the #5 Tight End in his draft class, and Graham started from an up position, lined up over Gantt, he jammed him at the line and then ran with him in man coverage up the seam. His coverage was so tight I don't see any way that ball gets completed.

Some of us have looked at Everson Griffen in space and in coverage and come away thinking wow, this guy's got direction change ability that is pretty unfair. They used the term "ankle flexion" a lot during the Combine for a lot of prospects, it seemed like Mike Mayock's new toy term. Well, Griffen has ankle flexion no doubt about that. Anyway point being I've sifted through a lot of tape of Griffen and I haven't seen a single instance of him covering someone that well and that tight.

Xeticus
03-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I respect Walter's opinion, but I do disagree with it.

Finding instances of Brandon Graham in coverage is like finding a needle in a haystack. You have to sift through a lot of tape to find those gems. The thing is, when you find them, you see a player that moves like a linebacker and covers really well. The one that immediately comes to mind for me is a play where he covered the talented Michigan State Tight End Gantt up the seam for about 15 yards. This guy is ranked by NFL Draft Scout something like the #5 Tight End in his draft class, and Graham started from an up position, lined up over Gantt, he jammed him at the line and then ran with him in man coverage up the seam. His coverage was so tight I don't see any way that ball gets completed.

Some of us have looked at Everson Griffen in space and in coverage and come away thinking wow, this guy's got direction change ability that is pretty unfair. They used the term "ankle flexion" a lot during the Combine for a lot of prospects, it seemed like Mike Mayock's new toy term. Well, Griffen has ankle flexion no doubt about that. Anyway point being I've sifted through a lot of tape of Griffen and I haven't seen a single instance of him covering someone that well and that tight.
Honestly with the knowledge that he played LB at a high level in high school and wants to play LB again I'm really comfortable with us picking him up at #12. I know that a lot of the jets fans are drooling over the possibility of him maybe falling to them. I'd much rather draft him and use him than have him come after Henne 2x a year. Also I like the fact that he's a Michigan player. With Long and Henne already on the team I think he'll have an easier transition.

cobbs321
03-20-2010, 03:02 PM
espn has Graham as an OLB. ill take espn over walter football any day lol

JCfinfan
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
IMO, this dude is the real deal. Who cares what walter football thinks. Probably the same people that think Earl Thomas will last to the Cowboys.

ckparrothead
03-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Well you should care what Walter Football thinks because he's a guy that generally knows what he's talking about. Meanwhile, half of ESPN's draft analysis is run by Todd McShay, who isn't thorough and doesn't know these draft prospects very well.

In this case, I disagree with Walter and there's no shame in that. But I hardly see concluding that his opinion doesn't matter or that he's an idiot. I hate when people do that.

JCfinfan
03-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Well you should care what Walter Football thinks because he's a guy that generally knows what he's talking about. Meanwhile, half of ESPN's draft analysis is run by Todd McShay, who isn't thorough and doesn't know these draft prospects very well.

In this case, I disagree with Walter and there's no shame in that. But I hardly see concluding that his opinion doesn't matter or that he's an idiot. I hate when people do that.

In this specific instance I do not care what he thinks because I think he is wrong. In general I trust your opinion on him.

mmikel30
03-20-2010, 06:41 PM
you should see sporting news ratings they have bey bey Thomas as the number 1 receiver...Taylor Mays as the number #1 safety, Jonathan Cromton as the # 2 QB wild crazy rankings

XxfeensterxX
03-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Bey Bey should be our pick at 43.

rent this space
03-21-2010, 01:20 AM
this is why the senior bowl was so valuable. they should be well aware if Graham has trouble in space.